THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 07:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocky Balboa  (Read 9895 times)

kokeyjoe

Rocky Balboa
« on: 07 Dec 2006, 01:26 »

Rocky is 60 years old.  As of film five (and no, I don't mean "Over the Top"), he has brain damage.  He is armed with the arsenal of Paulie, Duke, his bratty son, and a glaring lack of Adrian a.k.a. Talia Shire.  He has defeated Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang, whoever the hell Hulk Hogan was, Dolph Lundgren, and some dude with a mullet who hung out with a knock-off of Don King.  Can he defeat his latest opponent?

More importantly, will this movie not totally suck?

I've heard it's the best since the original... I'm not sure I'm so faithful.  What do you think?  I've grown up with these movies and have always reluctantly considered myself a fan, so I just hope it -- or Rocky -- doesn't get butchered.

thepugs

Re: Rocky Balboa
« Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2006, 05:38 »

I heard that his opponent was going to be:
Wolverine
The Predator
Optimus Prime
A Zombie (not the George Romero-type; punching it's head off will not work)
A T-Rex
You.

Of course it's going to get butchered!

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2006, 06:27 »

I heard that in the finale of the movie, Tommy finally snaps over too many incorrect uses of the word emo, and ends up battling Rocky Balboa...TO THE DEATH!!!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #3 on: 07 Dec 2006, 06:36 »

FYI, Hulk Hogan's character was called Thunder Lips, or something like that.

denn

« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2006, 06:38 »

There's a trailer for the movie up on apple. Turns out he wants to box again because he saw a simulated fight in a new video game that showed him beating the current champ. Story = Golden.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 07 Dec 2006, 11:02 »

I hear some where that there was an alternate version where Brago kills Rocky and there for spares us the horror that was the movie after it and this movie

I desperatly want to find and watch it

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #6 on: 07 Dec 2006, 16:10 »

I have no idea if it's gonna be any good or not and I've never really been a fan of any of the Rocky movies, but I'll probably end up watching it just because Milo Ventimiglia is playing his son..

kokeyjoe

« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2006, 17:32 »

I still think Ivan Drago was one of the coolest Rocky foes, and the whole training montage (if you wanna show progress, you got to have a MONTAGE!) in Russia was pretty awesome.

TheLanyard

« Reply #8 on: 07 Dec 2006, 20:03 »

I think it looks pretty awesome.  It's one of the two movies I'm desperately looking forward to this month.

I read somewhere that originally, they were going to kill Rocky off in Rocky V.  Can anyone verify that?

kokeyjoe

« Reply #9 on: 08 Dec 2006, 02:04 »

I dunno about Rocky, but apparently they've killed off Adrian since then.  I don't know if she's actually dead, per se, but it makes me a sad panda that she won't be in the new one.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #10 on: 08 Dec 2006, 06:52 »

I'm very excited to see it! To me, Rocky has been one of the very, very, very few film series' to have more than two movies and NONE of them were bad! Plus, it's going to be great to see Sly kicking ass again.
Hate, rain on me

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: 08 Dec 2006, 07:43 »

I personally believe that this movie is going to once and for all completely KILL the Rocky franchise.  The first three movies were all AWESOME! The fourth movie started to trail off a bit, but was still good!  The fifth movie definitely tailed off, but was still pretty decent! Do not do this to us Hollywood!  :-(
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #12 on: 08 Dec 2006, 08:36 »

if you wanna show progress, you got to have a MONTAGE!

South Park reference number 1

but it makes me a sad panda

South Park reference number 2

"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

kokeyjoe

« Reply #13 on: 08 Dec 2006, 17:28 »

if you wanna show progress, you got to have a MONTAGE!

South Park reference number 1

but it makes me a sad panda

South Park reference number 2

Wow, I'm glad you pointed that out.  I didn't even realize I typed sad panda, since I was half-awake at the time.  I guess this is just evidence as to how much pop culture has warped my fragile little mind.

Spinless

« Reply #14 on: 08 Dec 2006, 20:18 »

I don't know, the storyline about 'seeing it in a videogame' sort of kicks butt. I have a lot of hope for this one.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #15 on: 08 Dec 2006, 20:30 »

After watching the trailer again, I don't think it's so much of a video game, but rather a simulation that was done for ESPN or something.  Still pretty similar, I know, but not quite the same thing if we're talking about what makes or breaks the movie for you, hehe.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #16 on: 08 Dec 2006, 20:39 »

Threadjack:  I thought "you gotta have a MONTAGE!" was from Team America?  I mean, the guys that did it ARE South Park, and I'm just nit-picking, but did I miss something here?

End threadjack:  I'll probably go see this eventually.  I've honestly never watched any of the Rocky movies in their entirety (*gasp*) but this looks like a decent enough way to turn off my brain for a couple of hours
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

kokeyjoe

« Reply #17 on: 08 Dec 2006, 20:48 »

Even though I just answered this for you in person two minutes ago, I'll answer here as well, for the benefit of all mankind.

It originally appeared in the South Park episode (from season six, I believe) called "Asspen."  They kinda recycled the idea for Team America, though it was just as funny the second time around.

feel good lost

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:44 »

I'm hoping to god that this movie doesn't blow. Rocky 1-4 were some amazing movies. Lets just look on the brightside. Anything this new Rocky movie will do is going to be 1000 times better than Rocky 5. Lets be honest here, Rocky 5 smoked ballcheese.

Oh and whoever was talking about Adrian up there - word on the street is the the person who played her died of cancer.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2006, 16:18 »

It would seem you and I are both wrong.

Not only is Talia Shire alive and well, but she is also actually billed as being in "Rocky Balboa."  Although, it could just be archive footage or some crap.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001735/

feel good lost

« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2006, 14:35 »

Perhaps so.

It came out today! Did anyone see it? Give me all the juicy details. Except by juicy details I mean tell me if it was good or not. No spoilers.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2006, 16:19 »

I saw it yesterday, a matinee after work.  It was good.  Nothing spectacular, but a much better way to end things than with Rocky V.

And it seems you were more right than we thought.  I won't tell you more than that, but you were right, just not about Talia Shire.

Sometimes you forget how likeable Rocky is as a character.  I'd have to say this might be the movie where he's the most personable.  Some pretty funny moments on his part.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2006, 20:56 »

Anything this new Rocky movie will do is going to be 1000 times better than Rocky 5. Lets be honest here, Rocky 5 smoked ballcheese.

Shhh. I subscribe to the Bill Simmons philosophy of "Rocky V doesn't exist".

I'm pretty sure half the reason it's not called "Rocky VI" is because Rocky V was so terrible.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2006, 23:15 »

From what I've seen (trailers and Stallone on some talk show), this movie is meant to be the true final chapter. He has a son now, so there's the "passing the torch" thing, but he also addresses his age and that he can't go on forever. I'm not a big Rocky fan, but this sounds like an interesting movie.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

feel good lost

« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:21 »

Good reviews so far then? Nice. I'm gonna check it out this weekend. Thanks for the insight.

jolijn

« Reply #25 on: 23 Dec 2006, 08:13 »

i can't believe i actually agreed to see this movie tonight. i've never seen the previous ones.

Mnementh

« Reply #26 on: 25 Dec 2006, 08:36 »

I can't wait to see this.  Everyone I know who has seen it has given it rave reviews, and some critics are calling it the best since the original!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #27 on: 25 Dec 2006, 10:30 »

Wait, this movie isn't a gigantic heap of shit?

What?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2006, 13:08 »

It's a phenomenon akin to how awesome William Shatner's Has Been was. I actually think it's really interesting to see Stallone revisiting a character from his past and seeing what time has done.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #29 on: 28 Dec 2006, 12:16 »

I have no idea if it's gonna be any good or not and I've never really been a fan of any of the Rocky movies, but I'll probably end up watching it just because Milo Ventimiglia is playing his son..

Where is that actor from? Someone mentioned him to me earlier, but I forgot what show he was on. Plus I'm too lazy to look it up.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 28 Dec 2006, 13:09 »

It's a phenomenon akin to how awesome William Shatner's Has Been was.

Or Clerks 2. There's apparently an avenue for sequels where, if you wait long enough, the creative juices for those characters build up and pour themselves out into another great movie.

I think it's time for Metropolis 2: Robot Maria vs. King Kong.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up