THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Games you loved that everyone else hated  (Read 22138 times)

ackblom12

Games you loved that everyone else hated
« on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:31 »

In the same spirit as the "Great games you Just don't care about" thread, share the games you've loved but everyone else seemed to hate.

My main one would be Secret of Evermore.

I loved the shit out of this game for 2 years before I finally got burned out on it. I knew it was a lower quality Secret of Mana game, it was reviewed as such if i remember correctly, and the Alchemy system was very unforgiving and a little annoying at times, but I found it amazing. I loved the story, I loved the worlds and I loved every single second of that game. I mean really, how could you not love that damn dog, especially the Toaster Pooch.

To this day I have met 2 other people who actually liked this game.

So come on, share damnit!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: Games you loved that everyone else hated
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:37 »

Man, fuck you.

I was about to come in here and say Secret of Evermore.

Fuck you so hard.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2006, 09:14 »

I like sports games, in particular the EA Sports franchises.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2006, 12:44 »

On the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair."
Nothing beside remains.

...I've been staring at your sig since i joined this forum. I think I have a very big hunch as to where it comes from... and I'm kinda afraid I may be right.

Is it what's on a statue pedestal in the middle of the first city, in the middle of a fountain, in the game Wizardry 7.

God help me if I'm right.

And also, you're No. 3. I feel like we're forming a club or something.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2006, 13:48 »

Dogg. Percy Bysshe Shelley, dogg.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2006, 23:28 »

Thank goodness.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan 2007, 03:42 »

I enjoyed The World Is Not Enough on the N64 infinitely more than Goldeneye. Oops.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2007, 04:11 »

Outpost 2. Ever heard of it? Didn't think so. BUT PLAY IT ANYWAYS!

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 01 Jan 2007, 10:23 »

I have actually, enjoyed the shit outta it.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jan 2007, 11:00 »

perhaps these three games weren't hated, just extremely under appreciated:

no one lives forever (PC)
no, not the console port. this was a pc game first and they bungled it when they ported it to the consoles. but the game is brilliant. do what you can to find a copy (the first one, not the sequal) b/c it's truly one of the most enjoyable times i've ever had with a game. the levels are fantasticly original: free fall from a crashing plane with no parachute while having a mid air gun battle with enemy sky divers all while trying to catch up to a guy falling below you so you can steal his parachute and land safely, infiltrate a top secret tropical facility, board a rocket, and go to an even more top secret space station, track down an antidote for a evil terrorist plot which involved turning humans into biological time bombs, and escape as a meteor shower is destroying the station, board a tanker ship looking for evidence, escape as it gets blown up and sinks, and then return to the sunken ship in the next level and scuba dive into it to finish the job, all while battling sharks and enemy scuba divers with a spear gun. and those are only a few of the many levels. oh, and the game is set in the 70s spy era and is very james bond-ish as well as freaking hilarious (the funniest games i've played). it's truly brilliant

mafia (PC)
again, not the shody console port. a 30s era GTA, this game has a great story and terrific levels which are probably the most well balanced levels of any game i've played. i finished nearly all of them with only a couple bullets and practically zero health, the sign of excellent design. sadly almost no one played it.

Arcanum (PC)
possibly my favorite rpg. set in a very cool world where magic once held sway but is being pushed aside by an industrial revolution, this is a game with depth, a great story, racial tensions, and the highest level of replayability and character customization i've ever seen. the number of ways you can design your character are staggering and you can essentially play vastly different characters, and thus have vastly different experiences, every time you start a new game. you can be an eloquent bomb making herbalist, a smooth shotgun toting pickpocket, a deformed fire ball flinging genius, or anything in between. sadly the developer went out of buisness but this game is well worth tracking down for fans of the genre.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 01 Jan 2007, 13:27 »

Arcanum had an amazing world. R.I.P. Troika and Black Isle

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jan 2007, 15:18 »

I had arcanum a while back, but I got a little impatient with it.  Maybe I should go back and give it another shot.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Alegis

« Reply #12 on: 01 Jan 2007, 17:32 »

No One Loves Forever
Savage

atlhough those 2 games were voted "greatest game no one played" by gamespy I think. Hardly as popular as they definitely deserved to be.

I like Wii Sports baseball that everyone seems to dislike

camelpimp

« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2007, 08:19 »

I actually like Koudelka more than the Shadow Hearts games. While Koudelka was obviously deeply, deeply flawed it did have a grain of orginality to it. The Shadow Hearts games (I've played 1 and 2) are pretty boring to me. The history premise is interesting, but nothing was done with it. The whole thing really could have been so much more.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jan 2007, 13:10 »

I really liked Shadow Hearts 2. 3 was good, but much shorter.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2007, 11:12 »

Though it had it's flaws, I did enjoy Dirge Of Cerberus-Final Fantasy VII, and not just for the story and cutscenes!

(Which were amazing.)
Hate, rain on me

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2007, 12:49 »

Dude.

Dude.

Come on.

Seriously.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2007, 17:12 »

S.W.I.N.E.

It's free for download actually. For some reason, most people can't tell how awesome it is. The graphics apparently seem to "cuddly" or something and the fact that you can't build ?ber-tanks, huge armies or bases seems to throw most people off.
In fact however, it's one of the most strategically challenging games that I know. I don't know many other games where you have to take care of every damn unit and make sure they're all properly fueled and have ammo. In an RTS, that is. The fact that you can't build anything but gain points in between missions and use them on what you think you need to expand your army to survive the next mission only makes this better (and of course, units gain experience).

By the way, if anybody wants to download it, check this website. It's free and addictive.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2007, 18:17 »

Outpost 2. Ever heard of it? Didn't think so. BUT PLAY IT ANYWAYS!

I liked that game.

My guilty pleasure was Turok: Rage Wars on the N64. I played that game to death, I did!
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2007, 12:25 »

^ I did too.

But I had the vile black cart, so the game was bugged and I could never finish it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Locke

« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2007, 15:16 »

Recently, Earth 2160 and Phantasy Star Universe.  They both got endless amounts of crap for bad voice acting and stories, but they're both really fun, and Earth 2160 has a really great skirmish mode.

In the past, I'd say Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun.  It was the first PC game I ever really bought, and I still love it.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2007, 15:30 »

Here's to hoping EA doesn't fuck up Command & Conquer 3. I still miss Westwood.

*obligatory EA hate comment*

Locke

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2007, 15:44 »

EA has actually been making some decent games.  They have the CAPACITY to do it, but they just don't do it often.  See:  Fight Night Round 3, Battle for Middle Earth 2, Madden on the Wii

ackblom12

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2007, 15:50 »

Yup, I've seen some damn good games come out of them, I just started ignoring that fact when they dared call C&C: Generals a C&C game.

The extra letter

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2007, 15:57 »

Man, I hate EA for what they did to the Ultima series...

And to the C&C series with Generals and Renegade...

Tiberian Sun and RA2 were pretty rad, but Yuri's Revenge was a piece of crap.

The expansion missions took about 30 minutes to load on about 3 or 4 computers I tried it on. Great work, EA.

Locke

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2007, 16:03 »

To put the thread back on topic as a gesture of noob good will, I will post ANOTHER game I loved that everyone hated.   Starlancer.  I'm a total fiend for Space Flight games, and Starlancer never did wrong by me.  It got bad reviews though for not living up to the legacy of Wing Commander.  How could you, though?

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #26 on: 17 Jan 2007, 20:39 »

I don't know that this is a game everyone else hated as much as it is a game that no one talks about anymore:  Worms Armageddon.  The best thing ever was to play as the Angry Scots, just for the little between-plays dialogue that the worms would spout off.

"Ack, I'm dead.  Ya kilt me dead!"
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Death Dragon2

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:29 »

To put the thread back on topic as a gesture of noob good will, I will post ANOTHER game I loved that everyone hated.   Starlancer.  I'm a total fiend for Space Flight games, and Starlancer never did wrong by me.  It got bad reviews though for not living up to the legacy of Wing Commander.  How could you, though?
I'll name you one better- Freelancer. We're like a little cult. Also, I liked E.V.O. The Search For Eden (I have only talked to 2 people  who have played that game) and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. Tomorrow Never Dies for the PSX was fun.

ackblom12

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:32 »

E.V.O. kicked ass. Hard as fuckin hell though.

Well this game was really only hated on forums it seems, but Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I loved the shit outta this game and people who hated it but loved Final Fantasy Tactics... I just don't understand.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:40 »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2007, 03:36 »

Worms Armageddon.

YES

I've been saying that Microsoft needs to bring this to XBox Live Arcade for weeks.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:49 »

Meh, they're bringing Settlers of Catan to XBL, so I can settle for a little delay on Worms awesomeness.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

The extra letter

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2007, 06:59 »

I'll name you one better- Freelancer. We're like a little cult. Also, I liked E.V.O. The Search For Eden (I have only talked to 2 people  who have played that game) and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. Tomorrow Never Dies for the PSX was fun.
I LOVE Freelancer. I spent ages trying to find a copy of the game it seems just after everywhere got rid of it...

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jan 2007, 11:43 »

Meh, they're bringing Settlers of Catan to XBL, so I can settle for a little delay on Worms awesomeness.

THOSE ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS

Locke

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2007, 11:46 »

I loved Freelancer too, but that was pretty well reviewed critically, it just sold terribly.  Nothin' better than bombing around in the Border Worlds superheavy picking fights.

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2007, 21:39 »

I loved Worms Armageddon, too. Gawds, that was such a funny and awesome game.

Doctor Awesome

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jan 2007, 00:59 »

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

It seems unanimous that the first half rocked, but i seem to be the only guy on the webonet that loved the second half. The finalshowdownyness was cool, as was the sheer emotion coming through as during the matrix-rip off.

What does everyone have against this game? The story style is kinda like Lost, complete a total tripe, but somehow still involving and grabbing.

8ilbo

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:32 »

I loved Freelancer too, but that was pretty well reviewed critically, it just sold terribly.  Nothin' better than bombing around in the Border Worlds superheavy picking fights.

hah! I didn't even get to that point...I uninstalled it halfway through the intro because of the crappy story and TERRIBLE voice acting....like, really bad
I know thats not the point of the game, and I should have tried the flying but tbh I like my games as a package.

Not everyone hates a game I love called echelon, but its a game that gets a helluva lot of indifference from most people, when I think its pretty amazing for its time, and for now too in terms of gameplay offered....

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:29 »

I wouldn't say 'hated' so much as 'cared about', but I'm really sad Shadow Hearts: Covenant didn't get much love. The third one wasn't as amazing, but still good.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #39 on: 19 Jan 2007, 08:59 »

I wouldn't say 'hated' so much as 'cared about', but I'm really sad Shadow Hearts: Covenant didn't get much love. The third one wasn't as amazing, but still good.
SH: C was the shit.  What other game is gonna pit you against a giant pink cat named Fluffy?
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ackblom12

« Reply #40 on: 19 Jan 2007, 09:06 »

Or for that matter have you collect gay porn for a pair of dress makers so you can have them make you better armor.

God I love that game.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 19 Jan 2007, 10:52 »

Not to mention a butterfly-themed pro wrestler who also happens to be a vampire and wields random blunt objects you find during the game.

ackblom12

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jan 2007, 11:22 »

Frozen Trout FTW

Locke

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jan 2007, 15:50 »

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jan 2007, 21:19 »

Friday the 13th for the NES.

Spinless

« Reply #45 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:41 »

Worms Armageddon console ports: Crap
Worms Armageddon PC: Worms 2

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #46 on: 29 Jan 2007, 10:37 »

...but BETTER.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:52 »

Worms Armageddon.

YES

I think I still have the original CD.
I'm going to look for it right now!
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Spinless

« Reply #48 on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:51 »

...but BIGGER.

We all know, it's not the size of your arsenal that counts, right JC?

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #49 on: 29 Jan 2007, 13:55 »

Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2

I don't even watch the show. I know barely anything about it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up