THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 09:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Best Games Nobody's Ever Actually Beaten  (Read 32003 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Best Games Nobody's Ever Actually Beaten
« on: 02 Jan 2007, 00:39 »

I don't think any of the people I know ever managed to finish The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past. Everybody loved it but I can't recall talking to a single person who saw the ending. I don't even know if it has an ending.

Are there any games like this you guys know about? Should we all get 'em and try to beat 'em?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: The Best Games Nobody's Ever Actually Beaten
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan 2007, 02:05 »

I never finished Wario Land 2 all the way through. Damn that was a fun game though.

It's too bad they're not making any more of those.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2007, 02:58 »

Games have endings?

When I was younger I was pretty bad at finishing like, any game ever.

I think the only 2 playstation games I've completed are MGS and Driver.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2007, 03:37 »

I don't think any of the people I know ever managed to finish The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past. Everybody loved it but I can't recall talking to a single person who saw the ending. I don't even know if it has an ending.

I've beaten it a few times. It's not that hard.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2007, 04:19 »

If you're going to say "you're a doofus" at least just come out and say it.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2007, 04:37 »

I played through Link To The Past, the GBA version, but never beat it. I got to the second to last dungeon and just gave up. I couldn't figure out what to do or what I was doing wrong.

I have only ever beaten about 40% of the games I own, due to parts in games that I found either frustratingly difficult or amazingly boring. A lot of RPGs have a bad habit of giving you too much too soon (insofar as skill systems, vehicles, characters, etc) so I get bored around the 30~40 hour mark and never beat them.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2007, 04:44 »

I've actually beaten Chrono Trigger enough to see most of the endings. I was pretty proud of that. A lot of other RPGs I haven't had the patience for.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2007, 05:11 »

I never could finish the Gameboy version of Super Mario Land. The (next-to?)-final stage with the airplane tore me apart every time.

Never did finish Oblivion, either, mostly because my odds of completing a Gate without it glitching (and forcing me to restart the entire game) were about 1 in 3.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2007, 05:28 »

i've never completed 100% of any GTA, or ever even fully beaten the main story arc of GTA 3 or San Andreas. the latter two aren't so hard to achieve i'm sure, i just didn't have the motivation, but only masochists go for 100% in those games.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2007, 07:49 »

I've actually beaten Chrono Trigger enough to see most of the endings. I was pretty proud of that. A lot of other RPGs I haven't had the patience for.

I am pretty sad to admit I actually spent a decent chunk of a year doing this, so I could see every ending.

Also I have never finished any of the GTA series of games. I have always gotten really close untill I get bored and just give up.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2007, 09:07 »

Are there any games like this you guys know about? Should we all get 'em and try to beat 'em?

I can beat LttP in a couple hours. It's easy after a while.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2007, 10:04 »

Any RPG I've played except Diablo II and KOTOR/KOTOR II. And I've played a helluva lot of them.

Do Battlefield 2 and The Sims (2) count? They don't actually HAVE endings... :roll:

ackblom12

« Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2007, 10:29 »

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal

Love the game, love the story, and easily the most obverall well done D&D based video game ever made, and I can't make myself beat the expansion. This might have a little bit to do with my character creation issues. I'll make one, about 25 hours into the game I suddenly wonder what i could do with this build.. then is tart over and never go back and play the other. Then i do it again, over and over and over.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2007, 11:35 »

Metroid 2 for the Game Boy

I have never actually completed it, and probably never will since I gave it away in my mass video game trade in.  then again I could not play it on anyhting but my Game Boy Color so that was a problem

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jan 2007, 13:23 »

Metroid 2 got me stuck for 6 years.

Then I picked it up and beat it in 4 hours.

True story! Same with Castlevania 4.

Both a couple of my favorite games now, though.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

The Hammered

« Reply #15 on: 02 Jan 2007, 14:07 »

I quit Thief 2 in the middle of the last mission. I still need to finish that. And Thief Gold on expert.

Seconding Zelda: LTTP, and a bunch of others that I don't feel like going through now.

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #16 on: 02 Jan 2007, 18:54 »

Most of the games I consider to be unbeatable were for the 8-bit Nintendo system.  Battletoads, Zelda II, and that awful Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles platformer game.  I have a friend who wears glasses that he says were necessitated by the eye strain from the jetbike level of Battletoads.  Meh, I'm probably dating myself by just talking about this stuff.

I really liked Zelda: LTTP, though I'll admit I got good and stuck a few times on my first playthrough.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #17 on: 02 Jan 2007, 20:50 »

Love the game, love the story, and easily the most obverall well done D&D based video game ever made, and I can't make myself beat the expansion. This might have a little bit to do with my character creation issues. I'll make one, about 25 hours into the game I suddenly wonder what i could do with this build.. then is tart over and never go back and play the other. Then i do it again, over and over and over.

Christ, that's like every Black Isle PC RPG I've ever played!! I honestly think sometimes PC RPGs give you too many options in character creation. I probably spent more time in character creation for Icewind Dale 1 and Morrowind than I did playing the game(s).

JJMitchell

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2007, 21:44 »

Festers Quest for Nintendo.

Fucking thing locked up on me when I was eating dinner.

No save point FTW.

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 02 Jan 2007, 23:11 »

Christ, that's like every Black Isle PC RPG I've ever played!! I honestly think sometimes PC RPGs give you too many options in character creation. I probably spent more time in character creation for Icewind Dale 1 and Morrowind than I did playing the game(s).

Yeah, the only big PC RPG's I've ever had the will poweer to actually beat have all been Black Isle games though. Fallout 1&2, Arcanum (Troika counts damnit!), Vampire The Masquerades: Bloodlines (I swear it.), and Planescape Torment. Took me a good 6 months in each game before I ever actually managed to make myself beat the games though.

So.. many.. character possibilities.. *cry*

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #20 on: 02 Jan 2007, 23:38 »

to the OP, not to be a dick but everyoen i know whos played it actually has beaten it.  i guess your milage may vary.

i didnt bother with the FIND ALL THE RANDOM SHIT thigns at the end of zelda or metroid prime on the GC.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jan 2007, 01:24 »

Cave Story, alternate ending (Hell). I posit that humans cannot beat that level, and therefore the videos on youtube of speedruns of it are in fact made by aliens.

El Opium

« Reply #22 on: 03 Jan 2007, 04:46 »

I've beaten nearly all of the PC games I own, but console stuff is tough. I'm still trying to beat The Empire Strikes Back for the Gameboy, I always get to the cloud city level then lose all of my continues to due to instant death situations.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jan 2007, 05:40 »

I quit Thief 2 in the middle of the last mission. I still need to finish that. And Thief Gold on expert.

Seconding Zelda: LTTP, and a bunch of others that I don't feel like going through now.

what's the one on the xbox?  my friend keeps making it freeze...he's got 2 million gold from just pickpocketing, i don't know if that's a lot or not.  he was attacked by four guards at once one time, so he killed all of them and chased the other ones down.  one managed to lock itself in a room or something, but my friend actually unlocked it fast enough to freeze the game.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jan 2007, 07:41 »

There are a lot of games I've loved but not completed.  When I was younger I would finish every game I played, but I don't have a lot of patience these days and there are so many good games to play.

Games I enjoyed but never completed:
- Quake 2
- Ikaruga
- Zelda: Wind Waker
- Farcry - although I loved it. It just got silly toward the end
- Doom 3
- Morrowind - played it for about 100 hours, had a blast, then walked away from it without finishing the main quest
- Oblivion - see Morrowind, but only about 60 hours this time
- Dawn of War: Winter Assault & the new one - had a lot of fun playing them, but lost interest when newer, shinier games came out :)

also, I'll predict right now that I will never finish Neverwinter Nights 2.  It is a lot of fun to play, but the storyline sucks, quite frankly.  I've put it down for now, and am pretty sure that I'll pick it back up when I've got better hardware & they have some decent user-created mods for it.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jan 2007, 07:42 »

oh!  also: Ninja Gaiden.  I played it on Heather's brother's xbox and have yet to play it on the xbox that is gathering dust at my place.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jan 2007, 07:54 »

I actually bought that game because it's backwards compatible for my 360 even though I never had an original X-Box. But since I haven't managed to hook up the fucking router yet (distracted by other games), I haven't downloaded the newest firmware so it doesn't play yet.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #27 on: 03 Jan 2007, 13:31 »

Ninja Gaiden deserves a sequel. A sequel with an Easy mode. No other game has made you fight a boss 20 times in a row. You do not win, after the 20th attempt, because the previous battles have made you a better ninja, no. You win after the 20th attempt because you lucked the fuck out.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #28 on: 03 Jan 2007, 13:38 »

I'm sure they're going to make another Ninja Gaiden after Sigma comes out.

Or maybe they'll just make Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. But if they do, I might have to cut a few dudes.

nihilist

« Reply #29 on: 03 Jan 2007, 19:33 »

Never finished FEAR.  Was having computer problems (due to a faulty SATA cable of all things), and kept having to reload my OS (and thus the game).  Got tired of seeing the beginning of that game, so put it in the bin.  At least it was half-decent, unlike Doom 3.  I haven't even opened the box.  (I pre-ordered it, snagged a copy from a torrent site before I picked it up, played it, realized it was shite, trudged to EB, picked up my already paid-for copy, cried all the way home.)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #30 on: 04 Jan 2007, 01:36 »

Oh dude, you're not missing much.  The worst parts of the game come up in about the last 5-10mins.  You're basically railroaded by the story into doing something that I personally found stupid.  I tried other methods, but it's like you're on tracks.  I was literally forced to kill someone I didn't want to kill at one point.  ie: they stop the game in one of those time-freeze moments and you can't go on until they are dead.  Then the way they describe the end "boss" I didn't want to fucking kill them either.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #31 on: 04 Jan 2007, 02:46 »

I never beat Zelda 2: Link's Adventure for the NES. I can specifically remember fighting the mirror-Link and then the bigass shadow guy, but I never beat it. When I've played it via emulator, it would always be buggy, never capture my saves, etc. I gave up.

I also never beat Oblivion. I put maybe 10 hours into it and got really bored with it. For supposedly the best game to come out in 2006 for the PC, (or was it 05?), it didn't interest me in the least.

I haven't beaten Mario Kart DS or Space Invaders DS yet, either. MK because I don't play it enough, and Space Invaders because I can't beat three levels - they're freaking impossible.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #32 on: 04 Jan 2007, 03:23 »

Yeah, the only big PC RPG's I've ever had the will poweer to actually beat have all been Black Isle games though. Fallout 1&2, Arcanum (Troika counts damnit!), Vampire The Masquerades: Bloodlines (I swear it.), and Planescape Torment. Took me a good 6 months in each game before I ever actually managed to make myself beat the games though.

So.. many.. character possibilities.. *cry*

troika certainly counts is so so damn fantastic. i too managed to beat arcanum (a few times) and vampire bloodlines. although i don't often fully beat those sorts of games (i still haven't beaten neverwinter nights) those particular games really drew me in. although for anyone who didn't complete them, it's very understandable.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #33 on: 04 Jan 2007, 03:54 »

i've never completed 100% of any GTA, or ever even fully beaten the main story arc of GTA 3 or San Andreas. the latter two aren't so hard to achieve i'm sure, i just didn't have the motivation, but only masochists go for 100% in those games.

I beat Vice City, and it really wasn't that hard, it just takes a little time.  However, I, too, have not beaten GTA 3, and I've never even played San Andreas.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #34 on: 04 Jan 2007, 08:57 »

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for PC.
You have to knock down a bunch of pillars to land on Voldemort, but also keep enough to hide behind so he can't kill you. I have never beaten it.
Goddamnit.

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
« Reply #35 on: 04 Jan 2007, 10:34 »

never  got a game I haven't finished... except for tau fire warrior, and it was not a very good game at all so it doesn't count.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

elcapitan

« Reply #36 on: 04 Jan 2007, 10:49 »

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines.

Some of those missions were so ridiculously hard...

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jan 2007, 12:44 »

I'm stuck like 6 levels into Call of Duty: Finest Hour

on this one level where you protect the dude fixing your tank, then you are told you have to take the tank to a rendezvous point... but really you just get ass-raped by MG nests and enemy tanks.

fucker is HARD.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Flying Gremlin

« Reply #38 on: 04 Jan 2007, 14:09 »

Sadly, I never beat...

- Super Mario Bros. for the NES (I'm serious. It's one of my unfinished things I have to do when I finally break down, buy the Wii and download it. Still my damn favorite game of all time)
- Command and Conquer for the PC, NOD disc (GDI was easier, for some reason)
- Command and Conquer: Red Alert, Allied disc (one of my friends borrowed it so we could IP game it, never gave it back before he moved across the country)
- Either GTA or GTA2 (discs were destroyed by my son when he was teething; my ex got a real chewing out for that)
- Final Fantasy VII (same ex broke my PlayStation about halfway through the game, didn't feel like buying another one)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: 04 Jan 2007, 17:50 »

I've never actually finished Deus Ex. I got to the final Area 51 sort of base thing, and then I lost all my saves when a virus totalled my computer. I reinstalled it recently thinking it might be a good time to have another crack. I was dead in five minutes. Haven't got the moves any more. Though, to be fair, I do have a horrible suspicion I may have cheated on the original, possible on that fucking sneaking level on the docks with all the robots. I've always fucking hated sneaking games. I bought Metal Gear Solid for the PS1, and I got to like the second fucking screen.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

öde

« Reply #40 on: 04 Jan 2007, 18:52 »

I got to the last part of Deus Ex with no ammo. Screwed.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #41 on: 04 Jan 2007, 21:39 »

I never beat Zelda 2: Link's Adventure for the NES. I can specifically remember fighting the mirror-Link and then the bigass shadow guy, but I never beat it. When I've played it via emulator, it would always be buggy, never capture my saves, etc. I gave up.

I know it's considered "cool" to say you like Zelda 2, but I thought that game was crap back then and still do. The fact that dying means you have to start all the way back at Zelda's tomb-or-whatever also meant that I never played this game for more than three hours before giving up in frustration. Also, the controls suck and make some of the simple enemies ridiculously hard to fight.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #42 on: 04 Jan 2007, 22:38 »

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for PC.
You have to knock down a bunch of pillars to land on Voldemort, but also keep enough to hide behind so he can't kill you. I have never beaten it.
Goddamnit.

i know that one's lying around my house somewhere....i got it on the third try.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

josiah

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #43 on: 05 Jan 2007, 11:21 »

I suck at computer and console games. Truly horrid, I am. But the only ones that drag me back in spite of the fact that I can't beat them are Nethack and Ivan.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #44 on: 05 Jan 2007, 18:24 »

Super Nintendo's MegaMan X

How do you kill Sigma!! HOW!?
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #45 on: 05 Jan 2007, 21:10 »

Sigma is pretty easy, dont get hit, he jumps back and forth, you mirror him, his pattern is repeated with no variation.

But I have to agree, the jet bike level of Battletoads on the SNES is hell, it comes way to early into the game too, so after losing a billion lives on it there is just way too much game to play after it.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #46 on: 06 Jan 2007, 02:19 »

Oh man, I forgot about Battletoads... That game is freaking impossible without Game Genie.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #47 on: 06 Jan 2007, 08:49 »

Super Nintendo's MegaMan X

I beat that one a few years back.  Hard as balls, but good times.

Oh man, I forgot about Battletoads... That game is freaking impossible without Game Genie.

oh man, I forgot about that game. SO GOOD.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #48 on: 06 Jan 2007, 09:02 »

Sigma is pretty easy, dont get hit, he jumps back and forth, you mirror him, his pattern is repeated with no variation.

But I have to agree, the jet bike level of Battletoads on the SNES is hell, it comes way to early into the game too, so after losing a billion lives on it there is just way too much game to play after it.

are you talking about Battletoads/Double Dragons? the one with both? cause I remember getting no farther than the boss of the third of five levels, and we must have played it at least 75 times.  it just couldn't be done.

Xymon

« Reply #49 on: 06 Jan 2007, 09:45 »

- Either GTA or GTA2 (discs were destroyed by my son when he was teething; my ex got a real chewing out for that)

You can download them for FREE! Before the mods ban me for supporting warez, I mean Rockstar released it for PC for free (as GTA/GTA2 for pc is incompatible with XP)
Here you go: http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up