THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 19:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The reason I'm buying a PS3 (next year)  (Read 4501 times)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
The reason I'm buying a PS3 (next year)
« on: 07 Mar 2007, 22:46 »

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/video_player/popup.php?sid=6167003&tag=prefs;button

It's a 51 minute long video, 250mb big.  But in it are two of the coolest things I have ever seen.  Home (although I admit this borrows a lot of things from a lot of places) is pretty much Myspace meets World of Warcraft.  But without creepy Rupert Murdoch, fantasy creatures, agressive advertising, pedophiles, or people complaining about how the devs nerfed the Paladins. 

LittleBigPlanet, on the other hand, just has to be seen.  If I said anything about it, I wouldn't stop.

Home is coming out sometime in the fall (for free), and LittleBigPlanet is coming out on disc sometime early next year.  Which is convenient, because I'll be recovering from building a new computer, spending 300$ on Hippiefest, putting $1000 in an IRA, and going on a weeklong binge in Ocean City, MD. 

If you have the bandwidth and the time, it's a really cool video after the first 10 minutes or so.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: The reason I'm buying a PS3 (next year)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2007, 23:24 »

First off, I'll admit LittleBigPlanet looks totally awesome. But I won't buy a 600 dollar system to play it.

And really, the Home this is just a glorified chat program. Like, it's nice to have and all, but does it really add any major functionality? Besides, it's going to be filled with ads (which they've basically admitted already), and you're gonna have to pay for all the good stuff in it.

I'm trying not to be biased against Sony just because I'm pissed at how badly they've been treating their customers, but their GDC showing thus far hasn't sold me.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Scytale

« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2007, 02:27 »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70611&page=1

another reason...

I spend maybe an hour a month playing games if that and even then it's mainly crap like UT04 and Quake 3... I haven't booted my Windows partition since I finished NWN2 in early January,  last console I owned was a Nintendo 64...

I do spend a horrendous amount of time messing around with my Linux installation though.

If I did buy a PS3 it's a pretty trivial matter to install VLC on it plug the PS3 into my router or install a wireless wrapper (nasty binary module :( ) whack SAMBA on it and and hey it's on my network, I could then stream movies MP3's etc off my server and onto my Flatmates HD TV with he's insane home theatre sound system. Alternatively I could just waste time watching You-Tube videos on said TV system. Either way I imagine I'll have a bunch of fun messing around with it getting it all set up.

And if a game I want to play is ever released I'll be able to play it with min of fuss :)

Of course the ps3 is expensive it will all depend whether its out in Australia around July (when I get my Tax return).

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2007, 03:47 »

But without creepy Rupert Murdoch, fantasy creatures, agressive advertising, pedophiles, or people complaining about how the devs nerfed the Paladins. 

Yet. o_O

Also Scytale, I think the PS3 is out end of this month?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Scytale

« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2007, 04:12 »

I won't be buying one anytime soon, unfortunately I don't have $1000 lying around, maybe if I get a good tax return...

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 08 Mar 2007, 10:11 »

See, I do want a PS3, but a combination of Sony's megalomaniacal attitude and my inability to cobble together the funds necessary to buy one means that I'll be biting the bullet and getting an XBox 360 well before a PS3. And I'm getting a Wii by the end of this month.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

JJMitchell

« Reply #6 on: 08 Mar 2007, 13:30 »

Not that I have the money for it but the only thing that really attracts me to the PS3 more than the XBox 360 is Final Fantasy games.

If the 360 cranks out some great RPGs (blue dragon is a great start from what I've read) I would spend my money on it first.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #7 on: 08 Mar 2007, 15:17 »

I already own a 360 and a Wii, but I had previously held an attitude towards Sony of "I'm probably not gonna get a PS3, because none of their titles interest me enough to buy it."  Saw that presentation, now my attitude towards Sony is "I'll get it in early 2008, when most of the good games finally start coming out, but mostly for LittleBigPlanet." 

It's a matter of opinion, when it comes down to games that make you want to cough up the money for the system to play it on.  In my opinion, that's the game that makes me want a PS3.  There are other games that had piqued my interest, but not to the point of honestly wanting to pay 600$ plus tax until I saw the video.  Of course, installing Linux could also be fun...I saw some nifty footage of a cube-like interface (forgot the name) that would be pretty cool to have.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #8 on: 08 Mar 2007, 17:26 »

No single game is ever worth buying any system for. Period. I don't care how great the game is and how inexpensive the system itself is.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 08 Mar 2007, 18:27 »

Blue Dragon seems to be pretty well-received in Japan, and the advance buzz I've been hearing over here is highly positive as well. The other Mistwalker game that's coming, Lost Odyssey, is much more similar to Final Fantasy in terms of setting, but as I understand it it has an action-based combat system, which Blue Dragon does not.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #10 on: 08 Mar 2007, 21:38 »

No single game is ever worth buying any system for. Period. I don't care how great the game is and how inexpensive the system itself is.

Like I said, it comes down to opinion.  I'm not fanatic about the whole thing, but I think that that title deserves my money.  Quite a few Japanese folks thought so when it came to Blue Dragon.  You are not that kind of person.  I am.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 08 Mar 2007, 21:59 »

There's a big difference between the 280 dollars that the 360 bundle with Blue Dragon cost in Japan (rough estimate based on exchange rates, obviously), and the 600 dollars for a PS3. I might have bought my Wii more or less just to play Twilight Princess, but it was only a 250 dollar console, and I already knew there was stuff I would want in the future (Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl). LittleBigPlanet looks fantastic, but unless a whole bunch of the exclusive games for the PS3 turn out to be great as well (Lair, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, etc.), I'm not coughing up 600 just to play it. Although hopefully by 2008 (when LBP is supposed to be finished), it won't cost 600 dollars anymore.

Also, did you guys here Warhawk is multiplayer only now? How wacked is that shit?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #12 on: 09 Mar 2007, 06:57 »

Whatever man, I just want to play me some damn Metal Gear Solid 4.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #13 on: 09 Mar 2007, 08:28 »

You do realize it will probably be ported to Xbox 360 at some point, right?? Konami and Capcom aren't as big on console exclusives as they used to be.

ackblom12

« Reply #14 on: 09 Mar 2007, 12:05 »

Meh, GDC didn't impress me a hell of a lot. LBP looks like a lot of fun, but sure as hell isn't worth a $700 purchase (system + game + taxes).

In a couple of years, maybe more It's possible I'll get a PS3, mainly due to a huge price drop, but as of right now the Wii, 360 (hopefully I'll have one in a few months), DS and PS2 are covering every possible gaming need I could possibly want.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 09 Mar 2007, 12:45 »

You do realize it will probably be ported to Xbox 360 at some point, right?? Konami and Capcom aren't as big on console exclusives as they used to be.

I know, but although this may sound like a terrible reason the Metal Gear Solid games just feel better on the Playstation. Since the game was designed with said platform in mind the controls work in a much more natural fashion.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #16 on: 09 Mar 2007, 16:48 »

Nah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Isn't it ironic that the sort of things that are making people go nuts over the PS3 are games that sound like they're on the Wii?? I read a description of LittleBigPlanet and actually believed it was a Wii game. As for Home...yeah, hasn't anyone played Second Life before?? Avatar based chats get boring quick, even with extra dodads and features to screw around with.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2007, 17:19 »

Nah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Isn't it ironic that the sort of things that are making people go nuts over the PS3 are games that sound like they're on the Wii?? I read a description of LittleBigPlanet and actually believed it was a Wii game. As for Home...yeah, hasn't anyone played Second Life before?? Avatar based chats get boring quick, even with extra dodads and features to screw around with.

Second Life, for whatever reason that is beyond me, will not work on my computer.  My particular configuration somehow disagrees with quite a few games.  So I haven't experienced Second Life before, hence my excitedness towards Home. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up