THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Best Games Nobody's Ever Actually Beaten  (Read 31681 times)

Thnikkaman

• Emoticontraindication
  • Owner of the Terrible Pun Racket
Re: The Best Games Nobody's Ever Actually Beaten
« Reply #50 on: 06 Jan 2007, 16:40 »

X-Wing: Alliance. I got all the way up to the last level and then kept bouncing the Millennium Falcon off the walls of the Death Star like some overly-confused ping-pong ball. Then I went and lost the CD.
Quote from: Eris (gabbly)
maybe I shouldn't have hit it

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #51 on: 06 Jan 2007, 23:00 »

That's called a strategy, man. You deployed it well.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #52 on: 07 Jan 2007, 08:14 »

X-Wing: Alliance be damned, the original X-Wing was one of the hardest goddamn games in history.

doki

« Reply #53 on: 07 Jan 2007, 09:47 »

two words

Wild

Motherfucking

Arms

that bitch is STILL in my PS1.  had i the time i would go back and play through it.  it was a fuckign awesome game

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #54 on: 07 Jan 2007, 10:02 »

Star Ocean (Whatever the last one made was)

I got stuck in that dragon dungeon, couldn't get a handle on the Dragon Flute when there were more than one face on the doors.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #55 on: 07 Jan 2007, 11:16 »

Star Ocean (Whatever the last one made was)

I got stuck in that dragon dungeon, couldn't get a handle on the Dragon Flute when there were more than one face on the doors.

I got farther than that, but not much.  about 5-10 hours after where you are, there's a huge difficulty change between what you've been fighting and what you have to fight.  I had to grind for an additional 10 hours to get out of the next planet.  I haven't touched it much since I got to Gemity.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #56 on: 08 Jan 2007, 03:50 »

Alright, I realize that like half of you have probably beaten it, but Guitar Hero is getting on my last nerve.

BARK AT THE MOON ON EXPERT CAN FUCKING GO TO HELL

I'VE MADE IT TO 97% AND 98% THROUGH THE SONG THE LAST TWO TIMES I TRIED IT

THAT LAST FUCKING RIFF ALWAYS KILLS ME

DAMMIT
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #57 on: 08 Jan 2007, 04:12 »

Has anyone played Legacy of the Wizard? hardest nintender game ever.
also israel

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #58 on: 08 Jan 2007, 05:58 »

The hardest Nintendo game ever is the shitty Dungeons and Dragons one. Heroes of the Lance?? Anyway, it's god awful and literally cannot be beaten.

fetusxcore

« Reply #59 on: 08 Jan 2007, 06:18 »

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal

Love the game, love the story, and easily the most obverall well done D&D based video game ever made, and I can't make myself beat the expansion. This might have a little bit to do with my character creation issues. I'll make one, about 25 hours into the game I suddenly wonder what i could do with this build.. then is tart over and never go back and play the other. Then i do it again, over and over and over.

...Huh. I always found BGII kinda easy. I've beaten it more times than I can count by now, it never gets old to me for some reason.

But I have to say, the Metabots RPG (Shut up, I was like 11.) on Gameboy Advance always managed to make me cry like a little girl. I never beat Knights of the Old Republic II either. The final boss proved too much for my dual pistol wielding Jedi in close quarters, and I had to return it before I could give it another shot.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #60 on: 08 Jan 2007, 10:35 »

Troll's wins. I obtained a copy and it managed to say hello in Japanese* to me. The cartridge, not the game. The game did far worse.

*probably nsfw, but who can tell these days
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2007, 10:37 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Nutsaur

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #61 on: 26 Jan 2007, 20:21 »

Crimson Skies. Seriously I dont think it can be finished which is why they put in the option of skipping each level if you fail it like five times. The first few missions are fun then "It's over!" You cant kill fighters in a gyrocopter but they still ask you to do so.

ackblom12

« Reply #62 on: 26 Jan 2007, 22:54 »

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal

Love the game, love the story, and easily the most obverall well done D&D based video game ever made, and I can't make myself beat the expansion. This might have a little bit to do with my character creation issues. I'll make one, about 25 hours into the game I suddenly wonder what i could do with this build.. then is tart over and never go back and play the other. Then i do it again, over and over and over.

...Huh. I always found BGII kinda easy. I've beaten it more times than I can count by now, it never gets old to me for some reason.

But I have to say, the Metabots RPG (Shut up, I was like 11.) on Gameboy Advance always managed to make me cry like a little girl. I never beat Knights of the Old Republic II either. The final boss proved too much for my dual pistol wielding Jedi in close quarters, and I had to return it before I could give it another shot.

Oh, you misunderstand me, I don't find the game HARD, I just keep making new characters and starting over. The game is really quite easy.

Toeofdoom

« Reply #63 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:00 »

Well... i always have liked the sims 2 series.

Also: nice tip about the GTA stuff :D

But i guess most of the other cool games are actually fairly beatable >.> damn...

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #64 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:11 »

I beat Fallout 2. It was an emotional moment indeed.

I never beat Fallout, though. My game was bugged so as soon as I got to a certain poiint the game would freeze.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #65 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:44 »

Crimson Skies. Seriously I dont think it can be finished which is why they put in the option of skipping each level if you fail it like five times. The first few missions are fun then "It's over!" You cant kill fighters in a gyrocopter but they still ask you to do so.
Dude, I finished that game in like 2 days.

My vote though, goes for...

Tetris.

Toeofdoom

« Reply #66 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:47 »

oh yeah... I like ski free better though... its just... THEMONSTERJUMPSOUTANDEATSYOURSTUPIDTETRIS!!!

yeah. gotta loves how it give you just enough time to go ohshitfuck *crunch*

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #67 on: 27 Jan 2007, 12:54 »

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines.

Some of those missions were so ridiculously hard...

Thank you!
And I though I was an idiot because I had a friend who could finish the game with his eyes closed.

GTA2

I still have the original CD. I never finished it becuae I got bored with the missions and started destroying everything with a tank.
Same goes for every GTA game I ever played.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Locke

« Reply #68 on: 27 Jan 2007, 15:09 »

Star Fox 1 for SNES is probably the best game I failed miserably at completing.  I didn't bother to finish KOTOR 2, since I borrowed the game and didn't care for the final bosses.  Resident Evil 4, I never beat, however I intend to now that I have a Wii.   Halo 1 I never bothered finishing, since I didn't care for single player much, and I watched my cousin plow through the whole game.

BillAdama

« Reply #69 on: 27 Jan 2007, 20:53 »

I would have said Kid Icarus sans 8uuuuu, but a couple years ago I finally managed to beat that normally without cheating.

Let's see...even back when I was young when I played games, I played them to get all the way through.  Has anybody actually ever beat R Type Delta?  Or Gradius III on Arcade?

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #70 on: 27 Jan 2007, 21:36 »

Most arcade games though, you finish, and it just restarts you at level 1 on a harder difficulty.

carpetspaghetti

« Reply #71 on: 04 Feb 2007, 16:49 »

when i was younger i could never beat grunty on banjo kazooie,

i think i make up for it by having finished mega man 1 for the nes a couple of months ago.
what a night, there are few things i can think of better than beer and mega man in the same room.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #72 on: 04 Feb 2007, 17:19 »

I refuse to believe anyone has actually beaten Final Fantasy II (note: not Final Fantasy IV!!) without resorting to exploiting the well known bugs to level up stats/spells OR, upon completion, erasing the entire experience from their memory. Seriously, what a fucking frustrating and arbitrary game. And I absolutely love how it seems like the boss of the last dungeon you were in becomes a random encounter enemy for the next area/dungeon. Good thinking, Squaresoft!!

majben

« Reply #73 on: 05 Feb 2007, 03:20 »

The best game that I've ever played and never beaten is galaga. I love that game but I don't know if it has an ending. I've never gotten close because I've never gone to an arcade just to play it.
The game i found most annoying to beat after getting to the last level was halo on normal mode. When i started the Maw the game took away my shot gun from the previous level and replaced it with a plasma rifle. It is very hard to beat 20+ flood warriors wielding guns when you only have an assult rifle with 150 rounds, a plasma rifle, and a handful of plasma grenades. It was very annoying to fight my way through and I had to use running and hiding behind corners more than I would have liked as well as more lives than I would have liked.

Vanilla Gorilla

« Reply #74 on: 05 Feb 2007, 07:52 »

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines.

Some of those missions were so ridiculously hard...

Thank you!
And I though I was an idiot because I had a friend who could finish the game with his eyes closed.

commandos was straight ridickle, i dont think i ever passed like the 3 or 4th mission without using cheats

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #75 on: 06 Feb 2007, 19:09 »

Star Fox 1 for SNES

I have only played that game at a friend's house while I was "house-sitting"

I gave up about 2 minutes in after like 1 minute 45 seconds of "Get back in formation, Fox!"

I was just like "Formation?!? Man, fuck that."
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

BillAdama

« Reply #76 on: 07 Feb 2007, 11:28 »

I don't get that 'formation' part of it in the training mission.  That was stupid and impossible to nail quite right.

I beat Star Fox on the easy path, but on the medium path I only got to the last level, and on the hard path I don't think I ever got past level 3.

flo21

« Reply #77 on: 07 Feb 2007, 11:39 »

Magic Carpet, back in the days of DOS and all it's glory, it had some 50 levels, and after 45 it became super impossible, mostly because you started off every level with nothing, no spells, mana nothing. I've tried playing it again, but it doesnt run well in DOS emulators.

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #78 on: 07 Feb 2007, 20:13 »

I used to plug away at games until I beat them when I was younger.  There were some rare exceptions (the ninja turtla platformer... jesus, after Leonardo and Donotello got beatin up I was finished.  I don't think I ever made it further than the first area you access with the missiles on the van).  But most of the time I would just replay things over and over again because I had no money to buy new games (this is the only reason I beat the NES Mega Man games, some of those were unbelievably hard).

But now I quit games because they either get boring (the final fantasy re-issues coming out for GBA... I don't know how I played these before because now they just seem too boring... and there is not enough guidance at times) or after I get to a point where I decide that getting further will require a serious commitment (this is why I have never gotten past the 4th level on Ikaruga.  I love the game, but it just goes insane about halfway through level 3).

I think I beat Vice City, but I quit San Andreas once they tried to make me learn how to fly.  Sorry, but I can't fly a plane with a fucking keyboard... Helicopters are even worse.  GTA 3 was fun, but once the gangs started going nuts I just got sick of dying all the time.  When you are cruising around and then guys start blasting shot guns it is just annoying (two hits blow up the car... the first hit shows no damage... that really annoyed me).

Link to the Past was a weird game for me.  I started playing it when I was little (probably around 10 years old?) and got stuck in the first temple in the dark world.  Then I picked it up again after I beat Ocarina of Time (I was 14 now), and moved forward a little bit, but got stuck in the ice temple (#4 I think?).  Then I picked it up once again when I was 16 and beat it.  The weirdest thing though is that I played through it again before Christmas (I'm now 22) and I remembered EVERYTHING.  All the bottles, pieces of heart, tricks in the temples... it was actually kind of scary.

Banjo Kazooie is another game that I need to go back and beat.  I loved that game when it came out and played it pretty much non-stop until I got to the final battle with Gruntilda.  I may have beaten her, but I am pretty sure that I didn't... I just remember running out of gold feathers really fast every time I fought her.

The most current game to give me fits is Fire Emblem (the first American GBA one).  I have played through it to the final battle twice, trying different groups of characters, but I always get screwed in the final showdown.  An enemy spell caster will show up right next to my guys and cast "beserker" before I can get out of his range... so he turns one of my best characters against me... but I can't attack that character, or corner him with strong defensive characters... it is REALLY annoying because there is no way to avoid it (that I have found).

Most of my friends that played the KOTOR games either got annoyed with the combat system and quit, or quit because of the pacing... but I ate those games up.  I think I played through the second one in two weekends... which is pathetic.  No one should log 50 hours in a game over 6 days (2 Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays) while taking 17 semester hours and 30 hours a week... it was definitely one of those things where the sun rising convinces you to go to sleep.  I loved those games though (didn't care for the abrupt end in the second, or how they made your character go in alone at the end when you had been fighting with 3 characters throughout the game... but they were awesome games).

rasufelle

« Reply #79 on: 07 Feb 2007, 21:14 »

I can't beat Starcraft with the Terrans.  It's that first level with the stupid stealth cloaky ship thingies- that and I absolutely suck at RTS games unless it's AoE or C&C, and then I still suck but slightly less.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #80 on: 08 Feb 2007, 12:29 »

Ghosts n' Goblins.  Seriously, you only get two hits and that's it.  Fucking horseshit.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #81 on: 09 Feb 2007, 01:10 »

- Either GTA or GTA2 (discs were destroyed by my son when he was teething; my ex got a real chewing out for that)

I used to be able to speedrun GTA2 in 3-4 hours without ever getting busted or wasted. I think it might actually be the best I ever got at a game.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Nutsaur

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #82 on: 09 Feb 2007, 05:42 »

Yeah GTA 3 was a bitch at times. Believe it or not my old flatmate finished the Big n' Veiny mission AFTER having the Mafia hate him.

magnanimusman

« Reply #83 on: 09 Feb 2007, 06:50 »

i never beat ffX.  All my friends beat it before me and said the ending was horrible so i didn't have any reason to.   And then i came to the  5^10 boss fight with Seymore and couldn't help thinking "either this plot sucks donkey balls or the creators flat out ran out of ideas."  Honestly...i think it was both.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #84 on: 09 Feb 2007, 15:00 »

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with FFX's ending myself.

But back to Battletoads - I downloaded a ROM of it the other night (Just Battletoads - not BT & DD). Jesus shit man, the jet bike level is *impossible*. I'm obviously using the infinite lives Game Genie code, but still, I can't beat the damn thing. I keep yelling at myself too: "Damnit, moron, remember the 4th wall is a HIGH wall! Don't jump!"

Hehehe
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #85 on: 09 Feb 2007, 20:14 »

If you get to a certain point in the jet bike part, there's a warp at the bottom half (it's a cluster of white dots, but give yourself a second to find it, cause it goes by pretty fast).  I think it warps you  to a snake-climbing level, which afterwards you have an ever harder version of the jet bike level where you're on an airplane... at that point I usually give up.

thelightguy

• Larger than most fish
  • xx
« Reply #86 on: 14 Feb 2007, 07:13 »

I'm shocked no one has mentioned Myst yet.  Everyone I know who's beaten the game used one or more walkthroughs to do it...
bye

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #87 on: 14 Feb 2007, 12:34 »

GTA2

I still have the original CD. I never finished it becuae I got bored with the missions and started destroying everything with a tank.
Same goes for every GTA game I ever played.

That's how I used to speedrun it. With a bit of practice (and the knowledge of where the tanks are) the first two levels can easily be completed without touching a phone. The third levels a bit harder: I only completed the game a few times Without ever doing a mission, and never without doing a mission OR getting busted or wasted. You can still complete the third level without doing any missions, but it involves a lot of rampages and creative tank driving.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Narr

« Reply #88 on: 14 Feb 2007, 13:11 »

I'm shocked no one has mentioned Myst yet.  Everyone I know who's beaten the game used one or more walkthroughs to do it...
My dad beat every one of the Myst games legitimately, without any walkthroughs or anything.  He's not a gamer, either.  Guy is just simply brilliant with the kind of things you need to figure out to beat those kinds of games.

I can say with pride that I've beaten every Megaman game I've laid hands on.  I've beaten the first 3 Megaman Zero games with at least an A rank the entire way through, but the 4th one is too nucking futs for me to do that and I've lost my copy besides.  I need Megaman Zero ZX or whatever the DS one is called.

I never made it through Deus Ex, either, because I too found myself in one of those situations where I was just out of ammo.

The one I'm ashamed to have never beaten is Planescape: Torment.  I just can't get into it anymore, but it's one of the best written games of all time, with one of the best, most expansive original plots I've ever seen.

I never actually beat the first Disgaea.  I got to chapter 13 or so and went through a HUGE depression spell.  I was never able to get back into it.  Kingdom Hearts suffered the same treatment because I was playing both at the same time.

I second the notion that no one has ever beaten a Ghosts and Goblins game.  Super Ghouls and Ghosts is nigh impossible, even with save-states.  You have to beat it, get the fairy bracelet or whatever, and beat it again with just that weapon.  "What."

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #89 on: 15 Feb 2007, 01:21 »

Festers Quest for Nintendo.

i remember that one! a lot of those games were hard! i don't remember for sure but i think i never even beat kiwi kraze. adventures of bayou billy was ridiculous. i don't think i ever got past the first level.

JJMitchell

« Reply #90 on: 15 Feb 2007, 05:05 »

Oh man Bayou Billy, I had forgotten about that one.

I seriously have nightmares that i'm stuck playing Festers Quest.

ackblom12

« Reply #91 on: 15 Feb 2007, 05:42 »

God, Bayou Billy.

You just beat the final boss who has beaten you into a bloody pulp, now fight his much much harder pair of bodyguards!

Where the fuck where they when you were kickin their bosses fat ass.

GruntyBalboa

• Plantmonster
  • Work was fun
« Reply #92 on: 15 Feb 2007, 09:49 »

I never beat Jet Force Gemini.

Also, I still have only got one ending for KOTOR2 under my belt. Need to get the rest.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #93 on: 15 Feb 2007, 11:31 »

Ghosts & Goblins.

That game is a bitch!
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #94 on: 15 Feb 2007, 17:56 »

The really annoying thing about Jet Force Gemini is that eventually they forced you to go back and get all the little collectables that were optional up until that point. Tracking down all those guys was a pain in the ass.

That was a good game though. I still have the cartridge in my closet.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

GruntyBalboa

• Plantmonster
  • Work was fun
« Reply #95 on: 15 Feb 2007, 22:41 »

Pretty sure I kept it as well. How many tribal heads did you get? I lost interest sometimes and collected heads. I think I had 60 or so.

Dharma Bum

« Reply #96 on: 15 Feb 2007, 23:13 »

Ms. PacMan.  I'm playing, I get passed the first two mazes, and "They Meet."  Cute, nice, innocent, beautiful.  Obviously, this game will chronicle the relationship of these two young lovers as they painfully face their fruit wrought obesity head on and defeat the spectral demons that constantly antagonize their psyche, forcing them into their most basic instincts of flight or fight.  But what's the next scene?  How does their love progress?  The number 23 occurs in the score constantly, a sign of Illuminatus malcontent in the programming, driving the audience towards addiction and intrigue, forcing them to play the first three or four levels of Ms. Pacman over and over again.  Know why?  Because there is nothing after that!  The character development is in constant limbo, and any interest you have in seeing how these two overcome the odds to kick their chemical dependencies and escape their unholy persuers to live in peace and harmony with one another is an illusion wrought only to suck quarters out of your pocket fifty cents at a time.  The futility of the game is highlighted best through the warp tubes.  You escape, you disappear, you're gone, and then you enter the battlefield once again only to be delivered back into the hands of your embittered enemies.  Your only scraping hope of salvation are "Power Pellets," whose only purpose is to teach children that they can legitimately cannibalize their oppressors if they scarf a large white glowing blob of peyote first.    Even these elements are fleeting and temporary, and when they're gone, you're a victim waiting to be happen.  And why are the ghosts even in pursuit?  What is their motivation?  Money, food, sex?  Whatever, it is, it must be violent, because when they get her, she folds her mouth backwards and implodes.  Poor Ms. Pacman, rest in peace, God take your soul, your lover never came to save you and failed to flee your pursuers.  Game over, corrupter of minds, eater of quarters, damn you all.

Also, I'm going to chime in and say that anything that ass pinching booze swiller, Tomonobu Itagaki, has touched is for masochists only.  You'd be better off spending your sixty bucks on a nice leather cat-o-nine-tails than Ninja Gaiden, slime covered blonde babes or no.

GruntyBalboa

• Plantmonster
  • Work was fun
« Reply #97 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:10 »

Thanks Dharma. Now I have to go reevaluate my childhood from every angle.

rasufelle

« Reply #98 on: 16 Feb 2007, 18:52 »

That has to be the BEST. Game.  Review.  EVER.

Short of Seanbaby.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #99 on: 16 Feb 2007, 20:40 »

Festers Quest for Nintendo.

Man, I forgot about this one.

What a shitty-ass game, man. Seriously.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up