THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 10:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rare founders gone?  (Read 2444 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Rare founders gone?
« on: 03 Jan 2007, 09:31 »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163684.html

So many questions as to what this means. I mean, I'm obviously hoping that these guys start some new company and make games for Nintendo again. I mean, I really like Viva Pinata and Kameo was fun while it lasted, but Rare's games haven't been the same since they were bought by Microsoft. I'm still hoping against hope that Banjo-Kazooie 3 turns out to be good though.

But why did they leave? Was Microsoft not giving them the opportunities they wanted? Will we ever know, really?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ackblom12

Re: Rare founders gone?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2007, 13:34 »

I'm very very curious what they will do with the opportunity to start from scratch.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2007, 13:41 »

But on the other hand, it's not like they're taking any of the other major employees or any licenses with them.

I dunno, it might give us an entirely new developer who will give us a bunch of cool new ideas. Or it could be that they won't be able to recapture anything and the leftovers of Rare will just fade into irrelevance without them. Or maybe it'll fall somewhere in the middle and they'll both make rehashes of Banjo-Kazooie for the next 10 years. Who knows?

nihilist

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2007, 19:30 »

Could be that they made bank off Microsoft, and have decided to go back to scratch, and start fresh.

Just wait till Google's employees start doing that.

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2007, 06:05 »

I hope they regroup and make some more platformers.  The weird humor that was incorporated in the Banjo-Kazooie games was AWESOME, and the only platformer I have played that has come close to matching it since is Psychonauts (awesome game, but way too short).  Conker's Bad Fur Day was too far ahead of its time to be fully appreciated.  The mini-games are awesome, but the story line and dialogue in that game is legendary.  The mature tag that extended past the usual violence to include language, sexual content and nudity on a drowning Nintendo console probably did not help the original release either... but then I heard that they waterred it down for the xbox release (not really related to anything, just strange that they would do that).  I really need to find that game and dust off the N64, getting drunk and pissing on my enemies sounds awesome right now.

I am excited to see what they do... and sort of curious to see what Rare comes out with next.  Their games have ranged from underwhelming to terrible since Conker (I never played Kameo, but I played everything else... I will never forget the way they mutilated Starfox...).

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2007, 11:22 »

Kameo and Viva Pinata are their best games since the purchase, but I wouldn't call either of them on the level of Banjo-Kazooie or anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up