THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul  (Read 4431 times)

Dahgrow

The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul
« on: 25 Dec 2006, 09:41 »

So I've been reading this book by Douglas Adams (that's right, the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy author), called The Long Dark Tea-time of the soul. It's very awesome- so far it seems to be about coincidence and the interconnectedness of all things.... I can't get enough of it. (or any of Douglas Adams' works for that matter...) So, anyone else at least heard of it?

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2006, 10:00 »

I read most of it, then had to return it to the library.  It's pretty good, but I'm more of a sci-fi fantasy guy. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2006, 13:07 »

My favourite Adams book besides the Guide series is definitely The Meaning Of Liff. It may just be a little list of throwaway gags but it's a consistenly hilarious list. Plus it's really tough to pull out one of his other books and start quoting it at random without it not making sense after some time.

I understand that is not good reading for literary value but really I can't emphasize how much fun you'll have reading The Meaning Of Liff.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Utopian

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2006, 04:00 »

Have you read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detecive Agency? That introduces the Dirk Gently character but seems less about him than TLDTTOTS. Douglas Adams is my favourite author but these books, although thoroughly enjoyable, really made my head hurt.

I'd say it is fantasy, too, it's all about Norse Gods isn't it? (been a while since I read it) and bizarre things happening to characters as they do in H2G2.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2006, 04:14 »

If I remember Thor is a primary character in at least one of the books.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2006, 04:41 »

If I am not getting the plot of the two books mixed up, Tea-Time is pretty much about Thor going about fucking shit up. I really enjoyed the books, but I don't re-read them as much as I do the Hitchhikers books simply because the greatest appeal about them is the ridiculous twists and turns in the plot.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

skwyd

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2006, 09:41 »

Heard of it? I actually own two copies!  Of course, that was totally by a gift-giving accident, but anyway...

Of all of his works, Tea-Time is my least favourite.  However, since he is my favourite author, it is still one of my fav books.

That book in particular gave me difficulty in figuring out what actually happpened when I got to the end.  It was a bit obscure and, in my opinion, didn't actually explain (in plain words) why certain things were happening.  Of course, after I re-read, and re-re-read, it I got more of the jist of things.  Then, after talking on some forum boards about it, I REALLY started to get it.  Then I read it again and REALLY, REALLY got it.

I would definitely have read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency first, but if you didn't know, don't go back now, just read it afterwards.

It is an awesome book...

Utopian

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2006, 19:40 »

I found the first Dirk Gently did my head in more than the second. The whole robot monk thing and belief thing - what on earth?

skwyd

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2006, 00:27 »

I found the first Dirk Gently did my head in more than the second. The whole robot monk thing and belief thing - what on earth?

Really? Wow, that's interesting.  I particularly like the first DG because of Professor Chronotis and his "apartment" device.  I'm trying not to completely spoil the surprise for anyone who might read it.

Interestingly enough, that particular character (the professor) and that little group of "scenes" in his apartment were going to be used in a Dr. Who movie that never came to be...

I do think that Douglas Adams was one of the greatest writers ever.  Too bad he had to leave us...

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2007, 03:56 »

I think if I hadn't heard of it, I'd be in some trouble. ;)

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2007, 23:27 »

If only Odin hadn't been so fond of his freshly cleaned sheets every morning, things might not have gotten so hilariously out of hand.

Also, War was awesome.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jan 2007, 03:08 »

This takes me way back, I grew up on Adams. I love that book.

Also, Johnny, Thor is a main character in The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

bujiatang

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan 2007, 03:25 »

I like the bit where he blamed the neighbor becasue she wore a bracelet that matched her glasses.

and the linens.

oh I love that book.

I didn't like Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency as well, it never hit me right. Or in other words, I've read both many times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up