THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive... so much potential  (Read 4151 times)

Postino

Drive... so much potential
« on: 26 Apr 2007, 01:14 »

I don't know if any of you have seen Drive yet, but let me tell you it is a wonderful show. Sadly, Fox (the bastards) have decided to cancel it after just two episodes. This leaves me in a state of great mourning.

thehoopiestfrood

Re: Drive... so much potential
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2007, 02:14 »

Nathan Fillion has the Fox touch of death! :P

I haven't seen it, what is it about?

MattBurns

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2007, 09:08 »

I don't think they marketed it very well.

it didn't look appealing to me at all.

weenus

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2007, 17:31 »

The show starts out a little slow but by the second half of the second episode I was hooked. However, with Fillion and Acker, this show is destined to fail because its too good. Like Firefly and Angel. I might get flamed for that, I don't care.

chupones

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • A mystery wrapped in an enigma stuck in suburbia.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2007, 19:42 »

Yet another reason can go and f*ck themselves. Fillion needs to have a show on NBC.
I may not be a Flintstone, but I'll certainly make your bed rock. - Phil Ken Sebben

weenus

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2007, 22:46 »

Yet another reason can go and f*ck themselves. Fillion needs to have a show on NBC.

I'd settle for FIREFLY!!!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2007, 23:54 »

This show was marketed awfully. Sadly Fox appears to only have the sense to advertise offal like 'Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader' and 'Prison Break.' Then they act surprised that their critically acclaimed shows fall on their faces. It would be hilarious if it weren't so tragic.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

weenus

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2007, 23:59 »

To be fair, Space Western is a hard genre to sell. Even I was skeptical until I saw an episode and fell in love with the characters, writing, and acting. The setting grew on me immensely too. It really took the 'final frontier' idea very literally, and still managed to be more interesting than any Star Trek has been for me to date.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2007, 00:11 »

I wasn't talking about Firefly. Firefly was marketed alright, it just never found its audience outside of DVD and the Internet. Drive was marketed very poorly.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Postino

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2007, 01:17 »

Drive was marketed poorly, and I mean jesus its a racing movie how hard is it to market. The plot is so in depth and engaging and the characters, especially Fillions, are great. I just don't understand the reasoning behind oh look two episodes didn't do well lets cancel the entire series.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:28 »

I don't have TV at home, so I only watch when I'm at my parents. I wa slucky enough to be there the night they aired the pilot of this show, so I watched it, and thought it was probably going to be as enjoyable to watch as House (albeit for different reasons.) I'm pretty bummed that they canned it.

Although I'll be happy not to have to watch the weird crazy lady in the minivan anymore, I thought Dylan Baker was pretty cool. Oh well, such is life.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2007, 10:34 »

Uh...they advertised the hell out of it and gave it some of the best timeslots for any show on any channel ever.

It failed because it was actually pretty shitty, Fillion or not.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Postino

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2007, 12:58 »

Well instead of calling you a douche bag for not liking a show I am devoted to, I have decided in my benevolence to take the high ground and simply ask why did you not like the show? What elements didn't appeal to you? and last but not least are you in fact a eater of small children?

Edit: I found this for Ozymandias I figured he might like it.
Monty Python:
Well, it's not about crabs actually, it's called 'Ozymandias'. It's not an ode.
I met a traveller in an antique land
Who said 'Six vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert
And on the pedestal these words appear
My name is Ozymandias, King of Ants
(oohs from his audience)
Look on my feelers, termites, and despair
I am the biggest ant you'll ever see
The ants of old weren't half as bold and big
And fierce as me'.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2007, 13:03 by Postino »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2007, 14:01 »

Okay, well, from the top:

The show was never actually going that fast. It was supposed to be a race and no one actually seemed to care.
There should have been evil drivers. Bad guys. Something. It took them too long just to figure that out.
The Lost format doesn't work if you don't care about the characters. I don't care about the characters.
Who's in the lead? What are the positions of the drivers? Something to indicate that at all? Maybe?

From the very beginning it was a shitty concept for a show, Fox knew it, they handed it to Tim Minear (Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls) int he hope that he could make it not crap.

And, just like when they did it with The Inside, he couldn't manage it. He's not a miracle worker, he's just Joss Whedon Lite.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2007, 15:06 »

It's already cancelled?!!

Dammit!

I liked that show!

Bastages anyway.

:?
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

weenus

« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2007, 16:09 »

Okay, well, from the top:

The show was never actually going that fast. It was supposed to be a race and no one actually seemed to care.
There should have been evil drivers. Bad guys. Something. It took them too long just to figure that out.
The Lost format doesn't work if you don't care about the characters. I don't care about the characters.
Who's in the lead? What are the positions of the drivers? Something to indicate that at all? Maybe?

From the very beginning it was a shitty concept for a show, Fox knew it, they handed it to Tim Minear (Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls) int he hope that he could make it not crap.

And, just like when they did it with The Inside, he couldn't manage it. He's not a miracle worker, he's just Joss Whedon Lite.

It was Cannonball Run meets LOST without the comedy or the mystery. I can agree it was a shitty concept, but I did like the writing and the characters were decent. I think had the show made it to about 10 episodes, we would have seen some major character changes. Such as, a driver going bad or something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up