THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 19:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  (Read 48870 times)

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
« Reply #50 on: 12 Jan 2007, 10:28 »

Weak boarding, internet arguers. Weak boarding.

Anyhow, this thread has me utterly engrossed by the whole thing again.

Upon rethinking there are a few things I seriously think will be very important in Book 7.

Voldemort tried to get Lily Potter out of the way to kill Harry. It seems he was going to spare her. Why?
- My Theory: Snape is the one who relayed the prophecy to Voldemort. I am guessing that perhaps Snape, upon finding out it was about the Potters, tried to bargain to have Lily spared, because she was in fact very kind to him, and perhaps there was in fact romantic interest. With Lily's death, perhaps Snape's allegiance changed.

Dumbledore had a look of triumph when Harry mentioned that Voldemort used Harry's blood to revive himself.
-My Theory: Harry is in fact some sort of descendant of Gryffindor and there exists some ancient magic in that bloodline that will be his inevitable downfall. This goes along with the part of the prophecy that the boy that will take down the dark lord will have powers that the dark lord does not know.

Dumbledore made sure Harry got his father's cloak and he himself kept it and used it, though Dumbledore does not need it to make himself invisible
-My Theory: The cloak clearly has some secondary power not yet revealed. Possibly some final defense or power augmentation

Cornelius Fudge was the person on the scene first when Sirius "killed Wormtail," before the rest of the ministry could arrive. He immediately says Sirius is guilty. No trial given
-My Theory: Fudge possibly is an agent of the Death Eaters. His actions to delay stopping Voldemort, his greedy nature, and his favoritism for pure-bloods all point to this.

I'll add more as I think of them
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #51 on: 13 Jan 2007, 00:56 »

I didn't call you a dick.  I resented that you said we would laugh hysterically because Faye and Dora called it awhile back.  That's not while I will laugh hysterically.  In fact, I probably won't even laugh hysterically.

Actually I meant you would laugh hysterically when everybody got mauled by rampaging bears.  BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #52 on: 13 Jan 2007, 09:31 »

Weak boarding, internet arguers. Weak boarding.

Anyhow, this thread has me utterly engrossed by the whole thing again.

Upon rethinking there are a few things I seriously think will be very important in Book 7.

Voldemort tried to get Lily Potter out of the way to kill Harry. It seems he was going to spare her. Why?
- My Theory: Snape is the one who relayed the prophecy to Voldemort. I am guessing that perhaps Snape, upon finding out it was about the Potters, tried to bargain to have Lily spared, because she was in fact very kind to him, and perhaps there was in fact romantic interest. With Lily's death, perhaps Snape's allegiance changed.

Dumbledore had a look of triumph when Harry mentioned that Voldemort used Harry's blood to revive himself.
-My Theory: Harry is in fact some sort of descendant of Gryffindor and there exists some ancient magic in that bloodline that will be his inevitable downfall. This goes along with the part of the prophecy that the boy that will take down the dark lord will have powers that the dark lord does not know.

Dumbledore made sure Harry got his father's cloak and he himself kept it and used it, though Dumbledore does not need it to make himself invisible
-My Theory: The cloak clearly has some secondary power not yet revealed. Possibly some final defense or power augmentation

Cornelius Fudge was the person on the scene first when Sirius "killed Wormtail," before the rest of the ministry could arrive. He immediately says Sirius is guilty. No trial given
-My Theory: Fudge possibly is an agent of the Death Eaters. His actions to delay stopping Voldemort, his greedy nature, and his favoritism for pure-bloods all point to this.

I'll add more as I think of them

You should...you're devilishly good at this.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #53 on: 14 Jan 2007, 09:01 »

YES!!  I remember the look!  I know it's going to be crucial, I've always said so, ever since reading that part! 
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #54 on: 14 Jan 2007, 18:18 »

The Gryifindore bloodline though....nononononono! That has to be the second biggest bad fanfic plot only going down to RAB being Reg Black. It also adds credence to the Harry=Horcrux theory (he being 'something of gryfindor's') and I hate that theory with a flaming passion.
My thoughts on the triumph look. Voldemort now has the blood of Harry, and therefor he carries the protection that Lily gave Harry, and that protection goes hand in hand with the love she had for him, result Voldemort now has some of lily's love for harry in his body, which may lead to his eventual downfall, or at least a chance for Harry to escape his clutches if he's not ready for the final show down.

I'm also not a fan of the Deathly Hallows=Horcruxes, we've never had an incident where a one of JK's inventions has more than one name nor have we had any forshadowing that Horcruxes can go by another name. I think they must be either a place or a group of people, who are vital to one bit of the book, but not central to the books (eg the goblet of fire was important but not integral.) It will likely be important for a chapter or two then forgotten.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #55 on: 14 Jan 2007, 23:29 »

so "Tyler", how'd you get these ideas? A dream on a train?
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #56 on: 14 Jan 2007, 23:42 »

axerton,

RAB is most certainly someone within the Black family, and very very likely Regulus. Why else mention him multiple times in the books, and specifically mention his death? Also, I remember reading that the B in RAB changes to other letters in various foreign prints to match up with the first letter of their translation of Black.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:08 »

The Invisibility Cloak thing broadcasts the important role Solid Snake will play in Book 7.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #58 on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:21 »

Voldemort's ultimate cause of death: neck snapped by a guy hiding in a cardboard box.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #59 on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:33 »

The Invisibility Cloak thing broadcasts the important role Solid Snake will play in Book 7.

Dude. The goddamned thing will just break within the first 10 pages of the book.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #60 on: 15 Jan 2007, 02:09 »

Voldemort wins &  Harry dies!

Its the typical story of good verses evil except this time evil wins  :evil:

No one will really expect it and in the end it teaches kids (and grown ups) a lesson....

Good doesnt always triumph over Evil

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #61 on: 15 Jan 2007, 02:14 »

that would be a very good ending. it would be....well realistic actually.
i kinda really like movies/books where the bad guys win.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Neal

« Reply #62 on: 15 Jan 2007, 03:07 »

Thoughts on Tyler's post!

I'm inclined to think that part of the reason that Voldemort wasn't going to kill Lily was that he isn't threatened by her. Voldemort has a long history of using and abusing women, it seems likely that she was below his notice until she tried to save Harry. Of course, the Severus/Lily lovin' is one of the most popular fandom ideas, right up there with Sirius and Remus gettin' it on. I've always thought that it makes sense for Snape to hate Harry not just because his father was a douche, but because James stole his woman. Or something. Maybe it was just because James was a douche.

I don't think that the taking of Harry's blood has to do with his bloodline as much as it has to do with the love in his blood, or perhaps even the fact that he took something belonging to Harry, leaving him indebted. Remember how Dumbledore said Pettigrew was indebted to Harry because Harry gave him his life? I think the old magic, the sort of magic that saved Harry, has a give and take exchange thing going on.

Nothing to say on the cloak, it is an interesting idea.

I think Fudge is very likely tied to the Death Eaters, but in more of a Peter Pettigrew way. He's scared, they are powerful, he does NOT want to get killed by standing in their way. I wouldn't say he is actually an evil character, such as, say, Lucius Malfoy, he's just a wanker and a coward.

Now, something I was bummed to hear shot down by Rowling was the theory that Pettigrew will kill Lupin with his silver hand. It was so FITTING. It doesn't seem likely to me that any of the Mauraders will stay standing at the end of these books, though. As much as I love Remus, it seems more appropriate that they all die, and pass the mantle on fully. That, and imagine how much it sucks to be Remus right now. All of his friends are dead except for the one who betrayed them to their death.

Where do you all stand on the "Snape really is evil" thing? Dumbledore IS dead, we know that for sure, but what if the poison was a Horcrux as well, or Dumbledore was dying anyway and needed Snape to keep his cover? Mostly I just love Snape and want him to be a good guy real bad.

Bad Bird

« Reply #63 on: 15 Jan 2007, 03:32 »

SilentJ, I was talking to Ostrich, not you. You weren't being a dick at all.

Hooray :-)

Lunchy: your knowledge of the Irish mythology is awesome.  Good call.

Seems a likeley scenario, at any rate.

She only knows about the Tuatha de Danaan because we had a Call of Cthulhu scenario that involved them.  :-P

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #64 on: 15 Jan 2007, 06:31 »

For some reason that word...Tuatha...reminds me of a little known 80's movie called Willow. 
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #65 on: 15 Jan 2007, 06:50 »

Little known? Clearly I hope you are chocked full of sarcasm. That movie is wildly famous.

I also disagree in thinking Lily wasn't a threat, as the Potters had 3 times before fought and escaped from Voldemort, proving formidable foes.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #66 on: 15 Jan 2007, 07:32 »

FUCK HARRY POTTER.

Seriously. I got fucking sick of it at around the third book. I read the fourth without any love in my heart.

Why the series sucks:

-Wizards that DON'T CAST MAGIC MISSILE.

-Goblins that DON'T KILL ANYTHING.

-An evil power that DOES NOT RAISE AN ARMY.

-Minimal violence.

WHAT THE SHIT, YOU GUYS?
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #67 on: 15 Jan 2007, 07:39 »

Wizards have missile like powers.
There is mention of goblin rebellions and such, but not really needed in the story line.
The evil power is raising a massive army.
Lots of death in the later books.

In other words,
Your opinion is full of lies. Dirty lies.

Sythe

• ><DICK>
« Reply #68 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:47 »

-Missile-like magic missile are DIFFERENT.
(Also, poor Latin accompanying said magical attacks kind of broke my hardon for the series)
-Goblins are bloodthirsty dicks by nature
-I guess you have me on the massive army part. In the first four books its just big V and a minion or two.
-You also have me on lots of death. All I can recall in the first four books, however, is the guy who gets iced in Goblet of Fire

What I mean to say is that I found the series lacking considering all the hype. Hell if I could write half as well as Rowling, but I believe there are much better books out there that don't get the credit they deserve.

Also, a fireball spell or two would have been nice.

TheFlatline

« Reply #69 on: 15 Jan 2007, 11:39 »

Well it's nice to remember that Harry Potter isn't D&D written out..it's Harry Potter, and Voldemort didn't even have a decent body to raise an army with until end of book 4..

I think Snape dies protecting Harry, proving he's a good guy or whatever
or/and
Harry should kill Voldemort and then be all like "BWAHAHA I'm the new dark lord!!"

k so the last one was far fetched...but whatever...XD

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #70 on: 15 Jan 2007, 11:53 »

Little known? Clearly I hope you are chocked full of sarcasm. That movie is wildly famous.

I also disagree in thinking Lily wasn't a threat, as the Potters had 3 times before fought and escaped from Voldemort, proving formidable foes.

Yeah, of course I was chock full of sarcasm.  But I was quite surprised to learn that a few of my friends had never seen it.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #71 on: 15 Jan 2007, 14:05 »

I would like to go back to serious discussions now please.

Scytale

« Reply #72 on: 15 Jan 2007, 15:24 »

-Missile-like magic missile are DIFFERENT.

Magic missile is so passe all the cool sorceror's (Harry is clearly not a wizard) are using Ray of Frost these days, range touch attacks are so much more spectacular.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #73 on: 17 Jan 2007, 12:32 »

Okay.

Fuck you guys.

Color spray.

Also, I think we've figured out the next Harry Potter in this thread and we can safely say that we are probably largely in our 20's and have thoroughly dissected a series of children's books through the chronoscope of mythology and literature. This makes us nerds.

Fat and smelly ones.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2007, 12:37 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Sythe

• ><DICK>
« Reply #74 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:25 »

I'd reply or something, but I think I just rolled a natural 1 on my save right there.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #75 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:41 »

Good doesnt always triumph over Evil

"Evil always wins, because good is dumb."

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #76 on: 19 Jan 2007, 14:01 »

Deathly Hallows is cross-wiring in my brain with Barrow Downs. This is highly annoying.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #77 on: 20 Jan 2007, 09:42 »

the entierty of rowling's work does not even come close to comparing to that one bit of tolkien's. or any bit really.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 21 Jan 2007, 00:49 »

Yes. Not having to slog through ten pages of what walking looks like REALLY SUCKS.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #79 on: 21 Jan 2007, 10:32 »

Kudos on a Clerks II reference, but to me, you can't really compare the two.  They're too far apart chronologically.

Normally, this wouldn't change too much, but times have changed one hell of a lot between Tolkien and Rowling.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jan 2007, 10:45 »

That, and imagine how much it sucks to be Remus right now. All of his friends are dead except for the one who betrayed them to their death.

Is it bad that I read this and thought "No way! He is sharing his bed with a smokin' hot shapeshifter ten years younger than him! The man could not be sad!"

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #81 on: 21 Jan 2007, 10:46 »

No, it's not! she has spiky pink hair most of the time. Hell of win.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #82 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:28 »

it's more like a, "i really miss you guys, but damn she's hot."
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #83 on: 22 Jan 2007, 07:55 »

If he misses them too much, she could just transform her face to look like them. Creepily wonderful.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #84 on: 22 Jan 2007, 17:04 »

As close as the Sirius/Remus shippers will ever get to canon.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Tinsel_Shine

« Reply #85 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:10 »

Everyone dies. THE END.

My prediction for the book is that JK Rowling will finally bow to all the shippers and make their most desired pairing come true - Harry and Draco. Everyone knows that boys making with the kisses is the ultimate way to drive up sales.
That would make me laugh and laugh. Mainly at anyone who was ever involved in the ship wars over who Harry would end up with. How much do I want to see the Harry/Hermione shippers faces if that was book seven.

Anyway, I predict that at least one Weasley will die, probably one of the twins for maximum emotional impact. Ron won't, because he and Hermione are going to go on to breed the next generation of Weasleys. Ginny might if Harry doesn't, but if Harry does die I think she'll be left behind to grieve for him. I kind of think Charlie might, just because he's the Weasley that has the least going on in the books (as far as I can remember), so he doesn't have that many interesting points to 'save' him (I mean, Bill has a whole load of facial scars now, so he's already had some trauma, and surviving but horrifically scarred is more interesting than surviving but being perfectly fine). I have no idea about what will happen to Percy though. Anyone who's actually good at predictions want to share their thoughts on him?

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #86 on: 27 Jan 2007, 12:37 »

I think Sneep will turn out to be a good guy :-P
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

Locke

« Reply #87 on: 27 Jan 2007, 14:34 »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows more like Harry Potter and the Legendary Paycheck, lol amirite?

Seriously, I hate the woman and her books on general principle.  However, if she ends it after this and puts the kibosh on other authors using her money-printer as their own, she will win minor points from me.

Oh, and Rupert Grint was born exactly one year after me.  That shames me.  Homeboy needs to do something R-rated to redeem the club.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2007, 14:36 by Locke »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #88 on: 27 Jan 2007, 14:41 »

Seriously, I hate the woman and her books on general principle.

I don't understand this sentiment.

1. Woman writes good children's books.
2. Profit.
3. Deserves hatred?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Locke

« Reply #89 on: 27 Jan 2007, 14:53 »

I never said it was RATIONAL principle.  My loathing of harry potter mostly has to do with the fact that my family tried endlessly to ram the books down my throat, saying that they're way better than my "boring tolkien stories" and that I need to "read good books".  I developed an irrational spite toward the entire series so I could mostly justify not indulging my maternal family's shit.

That said, I really don't have any interest in them, they strike me as DaVinci Code bullshit for children.  I'm probably way off, and I'll admit it, and I have absolutely nothing against people who enjoy the books.  I just want to go my own way.

JJMitchell

« Reply #90 on: 01 Feb 2007, 05:51 »

It was announced that July 21st is the release date for those interested.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #91 on: 01 Feb 2007, 20:36 »

But that's so far awaaaaaaay!

[/whine]

Triskelivus

« Reply #92 on: 03 Feb 2007, 10:34 »

I heard that it was July 7th. For the maximum effect for the ending.

Tom Riddle himself says that 7 is the most magical number. The whole coming of age at 17.

7-7-07 :?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #93 on: 04 Feb 2007, 09:07 »

when jmitchell said the 21st, it wasn't a prediction trisk. sorry.
fact: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0545010225/sr=53-1/qid=1170608756/ref=tr_62701/105-7620108-0562067

Hollow Press (my blog)

Triskelivus

« Reply #94 on: 04 Feb 2007, 09:38 »

I guess I'm the victim of faulty information. Alas!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #95 on: 06 Feb 2007, 08:59 »

hooray for pre-ordering!

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #96 on: 06 Feb 2007, 19:19 »

Stupid online pre-ordering.

Every time I try it just adds the book to my cart and says it's charging me like 18 bucks.

Fuck it, I'm doing it in-store.  Anybody else have this problem?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #97 on: 06 Feb 2007, 21:01 »

Dogg, the 21st makes this:

(7+7+7)-7-07

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #98 on: 07 Feb 2007, 14:12 »

Stupid online pre-ordering.

Every time I try it just adds the book to my cart and says it's charging me like 18 bucks.

Fuck it, I'm doing it in-store.  Anybody else have this problem?

no. i am part of the border's email list, and i just pre-ordered it through them and will pick it up at the store. what are you doing it on, amazon or something like that?

Triskelivus

« Reply #99 on: 07 Feb 2007, 16:36 »

Dogg, the 21st makes this:

(7+7+7)-7-07

GASP! And if it came out at exactly 7:07:07am......

Then again, it would have come out on the 28th your way!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up