THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 01:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Apple iPhone  (Read 21509 times)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
The Apple iPhone
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 00:47 »

Steve unveiled it at CES today.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/

I must admit, as an adamant non-Mac user, that thing looks pretty damn sweet. Although it might be a tad too small for my taste.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

8ilbo

Re: The Apple iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2007, 01:14 »

Its an obvious idea, the touch screen, but how well have they pulled it off

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2007, 01:18 »

I wish I could unbuy my Krzr so I could buy that instead.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Mnementh

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2007, 01:18 »

That multi-touch stuff is slick.  I believe I saw a demo for something similar implemented on a large screen, it was incredible.

Also, yeah, I shot my load.  I'm probably going to get one in June.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2007, 02:01 »

I really really really want to know if they're going to lock out third party app devs. It's running OSX, so it *should* be fair game. If it is, that's HUGE. If not, fuckyoudie Apple.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2007, 02:30 »

I have never owned a cell phone. NEVER. But god damn do I want an iPhone.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2007, 04:31 »

Also, yeah, I shot my load.  I'm probably going to get one in June.

When I first read that, I wanted to be all "whoa, TMI dude."

Then I read the article.

Needless to say, I think I just did too.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2007, 06:03 »

The iPhone is the herald of the science-fiction future I've always wanted to live.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2007, 06:33 »

ok ok ok

Darlene, be a doll and file this under "Christ, Fucking"

This is basically the phone/cam/pda combo I've been waiting for, only sexier than I ever imagined.  If it comes out down here and so long as the price isn't exorbitant I will definitely get one.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2007, 06:39 »

i have a phone, i have an iPod, and i have a mac laptop. i will not cave in and buy one, no matter how sweet it looks. must. not. cave.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Mnementh

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2007, 07:08 »

BTW, I don't know if it will apply to this, but Cingular phones can generally be unlocked to work with T-Mobile.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:47 »

Oh man, it looks like these babies won't get down this way until 2008.

Fuckstixx

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:55 »

It's 600 fucking dollars for something that will do everything poorly. SOUNDS LIKE A PS3.

Whatthecockever, Apple.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2007, 09:07 »

I kind of have to agree. Sure, it looks pretty sweet, but 600 dollars for a phone? I think I'll pass, since I hardly use the one I have.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2007, 09:55 »

something that will do everything poorly.

Bias showing much there? It looked like it did a pretty good job at quite a number of things to me.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jan 2007, 10:20 »

Yes. Apple's presentation of their own device sure does make it look capable!

Name one all-in-one device ever made that actually does everything well.

The iPod works because it's an mp3 player. It was designed as an mp3 player. It plays mp3s. It does that one task well. It's decent at video. It's arse at games.

I do not think a goddamned phone should be running OSX. It should not be running Windows. It should be making phone calls.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:19 »

Name one all-in-one device ever made that actually does everything well.

Computer. The iPhone sure as hell is not a phone.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jan 2007, 11:37 »

Im a mac user. But this puts me off wanting one.

Battery     

* Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
    * Up to 16 hours Audio playback

Up to 16 hours of battery life refers to music playback. Up to 5 hours of battery life is based on H.264 1.5-Mbps video at 640-by-480 resolution combined with 128-Kbps audio.

But how long will the battery last while its just in my pocket? Thats what i want to know.

Grawsith

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2007, 13:02 »

I have a nano (iPod), a Sony Ericsson (Phone), and a laptop (Internet). All three facets of the iPhone that they're advertising.

Plus, do you think that they had a cooler name for it, but just caved and went with the public opinion?

Also, you may want to watch this: Apple Keynote. The whole middle part is about the iPhone.

Don't get me started on Microsoft's keynote.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2007, 17:33 by Grawsith »

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2007, 13:49 »

Fuckstixx

The article says it's Quad-band GSM, so it wouldn't surprise me if these started being imported like crazy.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2007, 16:34 »

When I first saw it, I thought it looked pretty damn sweet, but I'm a skeptic. Sure, for some people it might be the ideal phone/PDA-thingy, but I don't think it's something for everyone.

Some reasons, I can't be arsed to mention all my skepticism:
- The price is high - maybe not considering what it can do, but for people wanting a phone it's probably too much, unless, you know, you're loaded.
- Seeing as they say it's a phone and an iPod (which can, maaaybe, justify the price if you add into the applications it's running etc), I'm assuming they're meaning that you should be able to use this instead of a regular iPod for music, video and images. But at the same time, it's supposed to have OS X and various programs etc, and I happen to think 4 or 8GB isn't enough storage for this purpose. I'd have to carry around the iPod and the iPhone.
- Writing text messages on a touch screen on a full qwerty-keyboard with ones fingertips sounds like hell, but that might just be a habit thing. Dunno.
- 5 hours sounds like not very much battery time, I think they should tell us how long it'll last in standby-mode as well.
- By the time it comes to Norway, the price will probably be at least 50% higher.

But like I said, for those wanting a smooth PDA, who can afford this thing and who's not planning on filling it with their above average-sized music/video-collection, then it might just be ideal. For me, though, it's not. I'd want an all-in-one-gadget at that prize to actually be a full replacement for whatever it's supposed to replace. This goes for my Sony Ericsson as well, I pretty much never use the walkman-thingy, it's just..not good enough - too little storage (yes, I know I can buy memory cards) and it feels..clumsy.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2007, 17:44 »

I still think I'm one of the few people on Earth who just wants a phone to make phone calls.

Hell, I even got rid of my cell phone plan in November when my contract was up.  I use... an answering machine now!!!

I have an mp3 player for... playing mp3s.  I have a computer for... e-mail and the like.  I have a phone for... making calls.  I do not need to pay more money for something else to do the stuff I can already do.  Especially when it's an Apple.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2007, 17:57 »

Usually, I'm very careful about Apple products and not exactly excited by them (the iPod for example isn't nearly as good as the hype would want you to believe, if you ask me), but goddamn, the iPhone does look very neat.
I really love the high resolution, the WiFi and especially multitouch. Those are some killer selling points, if you ask me. And on the whole, it seems they pulled the whole thing off rather well.

But I still won't buy one in the foreseeable future (like maybe Q3/4 in 2008 or something, if it's still the best and unique then). I have no money and a working phone and also, there are several things that really bug me about the iPhone. The fact that it runs on OSX but I still can't install applications really sucks. That simply means it's not a smartphone and I use those features on my Nokia. I'm skeptical about battery life and I would love to see how the screen holds up to daily abuse. No 3G is another big minus for me, as is the no removable battery and no expandable memory.

Still, it seems like a very innovative product and I would love to toy around with it a bit.

Aztex

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2007, 18:19 »

Steve unveiled it at CES today.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/

I must admit, as an adamant non-Mac user, that thing looks pretty damn sweet. Although it might be a tad too small for my taste.

correction, macworld, in san francisco, Apple holds their own thing and don't make a presence at CES in Las Vegas.

oh and for those who thought it was too good to be true, that's because this is the real iPhone

Source www.ilounge.com

oh, and ladybug:

Some reasons, I can't be arsed to mention all my skepticism:
- The price is high
Most people who buy this wouldn't buy it just to use as a phone (I hope), so the price in reality, for a top of the line phone, is quite fair, (although the network prices will most likely be added on, *sigh*)
- Writing text messages on a touch screen on a full qwerty-keyboard with ones fingertips sounds like hell, but that might just be a habit thing. Dunno.
if you watch some of the demo's on the apple site, you'll see that if you type "aople" it'll change it to "apple" so it has an on the fly spellcheck which takes into account mashed up buttons.
- 5 hours sounds like not very much battery time, I think they should tell us how long it'll last in standby-mode as well.
- By the time it comes to Norway, the price will probably be at least 50% higher.

we have to take into account this current unveiling is a tech release, not product release, as of yet per se. Coming closer to june prices will be confirmed and fine details like battery life, will this work with this... etc... will be ironed out in reviews and press releases from both apple and Cingular and other worldwide mobile carriers.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2007, 18:28 by Aztex »

Mnementh

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2007, 20:01 »

Fuckstixx

The article says it's Quad-band GSM, so it wouldn't surprise me if these started being imported like crazy.

Yeah, most likely all you'll need to do is unlock the phone and pop a SIM in it.

8ilbo

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2007, 23:07 »

Provided they don't use the battery makers who made the batteries for their earlier iPods (some swedish company IIRC) it'll be OK in that respect

I have objection to this pic though.....

Everyone uses mice, the click wheel isn't revolutionary, and I fail to see how multitouch can be that useful - hell, I don't need two mice. Yes, function keys and what not...but on a screen that small?

Mnementh

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2007, 23:39 »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2007, 23:45 »

I'd like a multitouch monitor on a laptop.

But I have a 30 GB iPod, 6 megapixel digital camera, and a Razr for less than the price of that phone. I guarantee all three do what they do a lot better than the iPhone.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

mberan42

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2007, 00:57 »

The iPhone is not a Smartphone

• No 3G.
  • No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
  • No expandable memory.
  • No removable battery.
  • No Exchange or Office support.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Mnementh

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:01 »

My Palm Treo doesn't have a removable battery, which was never a problem for me with that phone, I can see why that's a frustration though.  The lack of exchange support is annoying in a certain context, but on the other hand I'd love to have a phone I can finaly sync to the mac without jumping through hoops.  I certainly haven't seen anything that says there won't be support for office attachments though.

It's not 3G because in order to do that I believe. you need to have a Qualcomm chip in it, and Apple is in bed with Intel, so that's not going to happen.  As it stands, 3G means "the ability to transfer simultaneously both voice data (a telephone call) and non-voice data (such as downloading information, exchanging email, and instant messaging)" which this phone supposedly can do.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2007, 01:14 by Daniel »

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:10 »

This is really why multitouch is amazing

Daniel, that is approximately 400,000 different kinds of AWESOME.  I'm already dreaming of how slick it would be to have a multi-touch screen in my recording studio; I don't know how much easier that would make editing, but it would be hells of fun!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Mnementh

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:15 »

I would love to have a screen like to use as a digital darkroom, it would be incredible.

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #32 on: 11 Jan 2007, 03:20 »

Noone has so far mentioned the two things that I'm scared of.
First off, anyone remember the scratch issue with the first batch of nano? And the (smaller) scratch issue with the following? Here you have a whole touchscreen to scratch, wooo!
Secondly, how greasy doesn't that screen become? to watch a movie on it (or maybe only use at all it depending how good the display reflects and such) will probably need a wiping first, and if you skip och fast forward on the movie? the same thing again...(that's why styluses actually are pretty good).
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

mberan42

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:44 »

A macrumor thread when the iPod was first announced 5 years ago.

It's rather entertaining. Everything from "revolutionary" to "Get your head out of your ass, Steve - this'll never work."

elcapitan

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:56 »

Look, I'm not too concerned about the tech. What I want to play with is the UI.

IMHO, the deciding factor in every Mac product that I've been impressed with has been the UI, not the underlying iron. If this iPhone (and wasn't that a Cisco trademark?) can do everything it says it can with the same level of ease as I can play music on an iPod, I will buy it - not because I need it, but because UI design that incredible is worth supporting.

Also, issues like screen durability, battery life, etc... If you're that concerned, wait for the next-gen version to come out.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2007, 06:12 »

OK, so it's confirmed (Phil Schiller, Apple VP) that it won't run 3rd party apps. This blows, and I'm working with some other Mac developers to organize a bug filing campaign about it. This may or may not be a good idea, but it'll at least let 'em know what we want.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jan 2007, 06:43 »

A macrumor thread when the iPod was first announced 5 years ago.

It's rather entertaining. Everything from "revolutionary" to "Get your head out of your ass, Steve - this'll never work."

Three things that ultimately led to the iPod's success:

1) The design. It was simple, unique, and made it instantly lusted after.

2) The ability to fit your entire music library in your pocket. Memory set it apart from flash players, size set it apart from other HD players.

3) And I think this is the most important- iTunes. The largest, most comprehensive legal digital media service in existence. Without it and its connectivity to the iPod, the iPod would be nothing.

It was an unexpected, unholy trinity of design and functionality that no one could have predicted. I don't see that in the iPhone, but maybe I'm wrong.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

elcapitan

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jan 2007, 07:33 »

Ozy, I agree with you to an extent.

For my money, though, what made the iPod a success was how easy it was to use in comparison to earlier products of the type, combined with a sufficient growing of awareness of the underlying (MP3) technology. MP3 players had been around for years, but they were slow, big, clunky, hard to use - basically non-functional. The iPod (and iTunes, certainly) fixed all those problems, and did it in style. That's what drove the initial uptake.

Now consider the (for lack of a better word) "enhanced phone" market. Almost everything that it looks like the iPhone can do, other phones can already do - but not well. If the iPhone's interface is good enough to make dealing with media, phone contacts, address books and other PDA stuff, and online content, then it's going to go great guns. Basically Apple have chosen their timing well - the technology is there for connection and mobile processor speeds sufficient to make the enhanced content viable, people have seen the technology before, but no-one's given them a good way to use it.

Grawsith

« Reply #38 on: 11 Jan 2007, 13:19 »

Most of these arguments can be directoed towards iTV as well.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jan 2007, 23:18 »

the new iPhone quattro. now with 4 razors.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jan 2007, 23:45 »

the new iPhone quattro. now with 4 razors.
:-D
Perfect, I do actually miss some features ;)
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 11 Jan 2007, 23:51 »

i have a phone, i have an iPod, and i have a mac laptop. i will not cave in and buy one, no matter how sweet it looks. must. not. cave.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #42 on: 12 Jan 2007, 22:13 »

think about it this way: by 2008, most of the the hokey and inevitable bugs associated with first-gen apple hardware will have been ironed out. might be cheaper by then, too.

anyone else peeved that 10.5 didn't even get a look-in in the keynote? more generally, nothing directly mac-related (new hardware, iwork 07, etc) was mentioned. in fact the only new mac-related stuff at all as of now is this, and yeah: no mention. also: "Apple Computer, Inc." are now just "Apple, Inc."

</griping>

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2007, 22:18 »

I also wanted info on Leopard or maybe even Office 2007, which I'm waiting impatiently for, so I was mildly disappointed. Also because iPhone is too expensive for me (plus the stuff I mentioned above), Apple TV sounds like something that would be best in use if you actually could purchase movies and TV episodes from iTunes Music Store (which we can't in Norway yet) and Apple changing its name didn't really affect me at all, so it was kinda like watching someone else get all the fun :p

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #44 on: 12 Jan 2007, 22:28 »

yeah, the name change thing just seems to hint at apple going from "computer company" to "consumer electronics company, and also we make computers" (sony style, or whatever). i mean, i guess that was happening with the ipod, but the two new devices announced in the keynote really do confirm it.

on the MS office front, Office 2008 (!!!) got announced talked about by MS the other day at macworld. other stuff happens there besides steve jobs and his turtleneck! really!
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2007, 22:30 by salada »

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #45 on: 12 Jan 2007, 22:57 »

Ah, how logical. 2008 in 2007. But damnit, "late 2007" is mooonths away :/ I kinda need it now.

mberan42

« Reply #46 on: 12 Jan 2007, 23:12 »

What's wrong with Office 2003? Granted, all I do are basic spreadsheets in Excel, documents in Word and the very basic occasional database in Access (which I hate hate hate), but what is it about 2007 that you're anticipating?

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #47 on: 12 Jan 2007, 23:35 »

I'm waiting for Office 2008 because it will have full support for Intel Macs, and seeing as I don't have Office 2004, I'm skeptical towards buying three year old software that isn't even universal binary, right before the new version comes out. I'm currently surviving with NeoOffice, after the Office 2004 test period was over, but I dislike it. Office 2004 seemed better, even though it's not universal binary yet, but I don't want to purchase it when I know Office 2008 is coming and I'm living off a student loan so I can't afford both.

mberan42

« Reply #48 on: 13 Jan 2007, 00:52 »

Ahh. Yeah, that's a pretty good reason.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up