THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 08:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Apple iPhone  (Read 21511 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: The Apple iPhone
« Reply #50 on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:39 »

good lord....that was one of the coolest things i've seen in a long time....wow.
everyone should watch that. the description of multi-touch on the apple site just doesn't do it justice.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 15 Jan 2007, 01:44 »

The iPhone will not be using he multi-touch that effectively.

I want a laptop with that interface, though. With an OS entirely designed around it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #52 on: 15 Jan 2007, 02:04 »

yeh i know the iphone won't come close to that. but han definetly said things should be going in that direction. will laptops eventually just be screens with multi touch technology?? b/c that would be beyond amazingly cool.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

8ilbo

« Reply #53 on: 15 Jan 2007, 02:14 »

laptops will be a thing of the past in a while....

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #54 on: 15 Jan 2007, 05:47 »

Fuck iPhone. I am waiting for the full neural network. Also, lasers as limb substitutes.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jan 2007, 06:20 »

It always intrigues me how people harp on about how amazing Apples interface design is, because I've never used an apple product I found easy to use. In fact, I've generally found them to be full of style-over-substance touches that make them annoying to use. The desktops with the stupid, unergonomic one button mouse and that fucking mac button that makes keyboard shortcuts more of an annoyance than a convenience are the worst culprit. I hate those fucking things so much. But anyway, as pointed out here earlier, it's very nice, but it isn't going to be a decent mp3 player, and it's functionality is already available in tons of other phones or pdas. As for the multi-touch screen, yes, very nice, but why do you need it on a fucking phone? Style over substance.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:20 »

As a user of both Windows desktop PCs and an Apple laptop I can assure you that both platforms have substance and that I prefer neither. I can also inform you that you are mistaken in assuming that because something has style means that its substance is therefore lacking. Apple's entire business model is about taking intimidating things such as computers, MP3 players and smartphones and making them incredibly user-friendly. Assuming that because some effort went into the presentation the product itself is somehow lacking is a fallacy.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:29 »

fucking mac button that makes keyboard shortcuts more of an annoyance than a convenience are the worst culprit.

guh?

How is it even different from using ctrl, aside from being two keys over? Also, are you aware of things like every text field having emacs keybindings? or the heirarchical task switcher? (cmd-tab to switch apps, cmd-~ to switch windows within an app. Major improvement over just cycling through windows)

Sythe

• ><DICK>
« Reply #58 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:35 »

Hey Applers! Right click!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #59 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:42 »

*does so*

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #60 on: 15 Jan 2007, 08:57 »

Hey, PC users! Get GarageBand!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: 15 Jan 2007, 11:55 »

Hey apple users! Get 99% of every computer game ever.

I don't know why you think that I 'assume' that Apple products are worse than PCs. I use imacs and emacs almost every day. I must spend nearly twice as much time a week, if not more, on apple computers as I do on PCs, and I find them frankly to be gimmicky pieces of shit. The hardware isn't ergonomically sound (the difference to using control is that it makes all the cut/paste shortcuts harder, there's only one of them and it's POINTLESS. Why not just have a fucking right mouse button?) and the default software sucks shit. Except for the stuff made by Microsoft. I won't even get on to how you can't so much as put in a bit of RAM yourself with any ease. I won't even go in to the fact that they're ugly. I just dislike the things. I can use them, but only under duress.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #62 on: 15 Jan 2007, 12:14 »

I used the word "assume" in saying that you appeared to be making the assertion that, because something has style, it must not have substance. Also, bam! VIDEO GAMES.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #63 on: 15 Jan 2007, 15:01 »

(the difference to using control is that it makes all the cut/paste shortcuts harder, there's only one of them and it's POINTLESS. Why not just have a fucking right mouse button?)

I was talking about keyboard shortcuts, which are literally identical to PCs, except two keys to the right; hence my confusion with your complaint. When I want to right click, I right click or two finger click depending on the machine*.

*none of my non-laptop machines use any Apple peripherals (mice, keyboards, etc...) due to their massive suckage. This also avoids the whole right click bullshit nicely.

8ilbo

« Reply #64 on: 16 Jan 2007, 19:40 »

back on topic (a little)

Do Cisco have a reasonably case against Apple wrt to the trademark Cisco have on iPhone?

(the two 'iPhones' for comparisson)

Mnementh

« Reply #65 on: 16 Jan 2007, 21:09 »

Possibly no:

An investigation into the ongoing trademark dispute between Cisco and Apple over the name "iPhone" appears to show that Cisco does not own the mark as claimed in their recent lawsuit. This is based on publicly available information from the US Patent and Trademark office, as well as public reviews of Cisco products over the past year. The trademark was apparently abandoned in late 2005/early 2006 because Cisco was not using it.

Something similar applies in Europe, were a request was filed to strip cisco of ownership based on lack of use earlier in the day they launched their iPhone.  It may wind up being the case that not only does cisco no longer own the rights, but that their last ditch attempt retain control was an attempt to extort from Apple.

This is going to be a very interesting case to follow.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2007, 21:13 by Daniel »

8ilbo

« Reply #66 on: 16 Jan 2007, 22:50 »

Interesting article....

I don't like Cisco, because they build the Great Firewall of China, though that is nothing to base this on. I also don't like Apple's general use of interoperability, though they are getting better. I don't really trust either - if Cisco are into really branding themselves more in the home its reasonable they'd want to defend their 'names', even though it was Apple that made the letter 'i' famous. Thats kinda playing off someone elses popularity, which isn't a good thing most of the time.

I don't know how similar this is to the Apple vs Apple case (something I never understood is why it took Apple records so long to notice that Apple computers were in the music industry  :roll:) but I shall try and follow this one a little more closely.

kallisti

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #67 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:22 »

Also, yeah, I shot my load.

This was precisely my reaction, in my head. Sadly I lack the plumbing for a proper physical manifestation thereof.  The female equivalent just lacks the power to equal the sentiment. 
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #68 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:55 »

You squirted your vag.

Hmm, yeah, you're right. Doesn't equal the sentiment.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

kallisti

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #69 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:27 »

It's just not as... forceful.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

8ilbo

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jan 2007, 05:29 »

Creaming ones panties could be an acceptable substitute....

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #71 on: 17 Jan 2007, 20:48 »

Mnementh

Apple Earning Reports
« Reply #72 on: 18 Jan 2007, 18:44 »

CUPERTINO, California?January 17, 2007?Apple? today announced financial results for its fiscal 2007 first quarter ended December 30, 2006. The Company posted record revenue of $7.1 billion and record net quarterly profit of $1.0 billion, or $1.14 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $5.7 billion and net quarterly profit of $565 million, or $.65 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 31.2 percent, up from 27.2 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 42 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

Apple shipped 1,606,000 Macintosh? computers and 21,066,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 28 percent growth in Macs and 50 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

?We are incredibly pleased to report record quarterly revenue of over $7 billion and record earnings of $1 billion,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?We?ve just kicked off what is going to be a very strong new product year for Apple by launching Apple TV and the revolutionary iPhone.?

?We generated over $1.75 billion in cash during the quarter to end with $11.9 billion,? said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s CFO. ?Looking ahead to the second fiscal quarter of 2007, we expect revenue of $4.8 to $4.9 billion and earnings per diluted share of $.54 to $.56.

And my stock goes up!  Woo!

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #73 on: 18 Jan 2007, 23:12 »

ZOMG SOMEONE GOT ONE FROM AMAZON
First apple use bad plastics which scratches all to easily and now they use paper?
Why don't they EVER learn...
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

Johnny C

• Mentat
Re: Apple Earning Reports
« Reply #74 on: 19 Jan 2007, 00:20 »

And my stock goes up!  Woo!

I think having bought one and had it in the shop for so long should entitle me to some Apple stock, just so I can make mad cash monies by sitting on my ass.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up