THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 12:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Would Like Music Reccomendations based on bands I already listen to...  (Read 11767 times)

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication

the thread title explains what I want, so here are the bands I already listen to.

-Metallica ( some of it )
-System of a Down ( most of it )
-Jimmy Eat World ( some of it )
-Linkin Park ( some of it 2 )

guide to my () comments

some of it - I only have one cd's worth, but i like the style
some of it 2 - One cd's worth, like style of some songs, dislikes others
most of it - more than one cd's worth, and (durr) likes style

please make reccomendations based on this... and please, no criticisms based on what I like. This is for suggestions. I wouldn't criticize someone for liking a band that I don't like.
*sneezes* Sorry, I'm allergic to bullshit.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

Jesus nunthumping christ.

I don't even know where to start.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Hundred Reasons
Refused
Hell is for Heroes
Killing Joke
Rage Against The Machine
SikTh
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Get Big Black's Songs About Fucking.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Trying my best to take this seriously, let's see if I can save you.  Here's a list of bands I think you should check out.

Incubus
Minus the Bear
Cursive
Bear vs. Shark
The Dismemberment Plan

That last one just might change your life, they opened the floodgates to great music for me.

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication

s-save me? I thought I said no criticizing... oh well... i'll take any suggestions in the same light as any other suggestion.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!

Alright dude, we're going easy on you, so don't be touchy like that.  I could go off on the shittiness of Linkin Park for hours if I wanted to. 
I'm gonna recommend Annihilator based on your Metallica taste and The Pixies because you should listen to them.
@Kyros- Good idea recommending Bear vs Shark.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2007, 01:02 by Flaming Ostrich »
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

Dude, come on. *sigh*

Well, even though everyone already knows what I'm gonna say...

Artist (CD you should download first)

Testament (The New Order)
Nevermore (Dead Heart in a Dead World)
Iced Earth (Something Wicked this Way Comes)
Iron Maiden (Piece of Mind)
Mastodon (Leviathan)
Megadeth (Rust in Peace)
Motorhead (Ace of Spades)
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)

Seconding Refused; everyone should listen to "Shape Of Punk To Come" at least once in their lives.
Maybe try some Hot Water Music?  "Caution" is a phenomenal album.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!

Try Jawbox.  If that doesn't work for you, the Deftones will prove more accessible.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)

If you're going to listen to Deftones, I would suggest starting with either "White Pony" of "Saturday Night Wrist," because you might as well start with the best.  You can go back and listen to Adrenaline and Around The Fur later for history's sake, and if you avoid the self-titled release altogether, I shan't hold it against you.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

NiMRoD420

I'm definitely going to 'third' that recommendation of Refused. Motherfucker I love that band! The Shape Of Punk To Come, Poetry Written In Gasoline, New Noise, a bunch of others. What an awesome band.

You might like International NOISE Conspiracy. Download the track "Timebomb" by them.

I'm going to agree with Storm Rider, even though I never caught on with Nevermore much, but the rest, definitely.

The newest Trivium album, "The Crusade" sounds exactly like old school Metallica with more pop hooks and singsonginess. They shred almost too much, sometimes. You would definitely be down with that.

Also, get Nonpoint's "Development" album. Very catchy, very well written, very accessible, and yet, on the harder edge of nu-metal.

Now here are my most enthusiastic recommendations:

Opeth - the songs are even longer than the Metallica you've been listening to, but you should be able to dig it, if you give it a chance. Mandatory tracks: The Drapery Falls, The Moor, White Cluster (I could go on but that's already like half an hour)

Porcupine Tree - The guy that produces Opeth, Steve Wilson, plays guitar and sings in, as well as produces this band. Amazing material, ranging from heavy to soft, always cool and accessible, yet mature and complex. Fucking great band. Just get everything by them. But if you want a sample first, listen to "Wedding Nails" "Collapse The Light Into The Earth" and "The Sound Of Muzak"

Tool - My favorite band... you must know of them. System Of A Down are among my favorites, and I find most SOAD listeners love Tool as well. If you haven't listened very extensively, check out these tracks. "Jerk-Off," "Sober," "Bottom," "Forty-Six & 2," "Eulogy," "The Grudge," "Ticks and Leeches," "Jambi," and, finally "Right In Two."

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication

Alright dude, we're going easy on you, so don't be touchy like that.  I could go off on the shittiness of Linkin Park for hours if I wanted to. 
I'm gonna recommend Annihilator based on your Metallica taste and The Pixies because you should listen to them.
@Kyros- Good idea recommending Bear vs Shark.

lmao... it's called a joke. I am allowed to not be serious right? I don't really hate any genre... except crap, er... rap.

EDIT: yes, i've heard of tool. haven't heard it yet...
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2007, 07:26 by AnotherQCaddict »

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!

Really, you hate rap?  Wow, your musical tastes are. . . narrow.  Listen to Mos Def, The Roots' early stuff, and Sage Francis. 

Sorry, I read your second post really fast and didn't pick up on the irony/sarcasm/whatever initially.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

If you are going to check out Tool, check out Aenima, it is the most solid of all their albums, although its not my favorite by a long shot.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses

Man, I fucking hate Trivium.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

Linkin Park rap sometimes, yo. I think.

Death From Above, 1979 is my recommendation.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé

what you should do...based on that list of recomendations

go find your copy of garage inc. by metallica (you did by it right?) flip to the very last page of the booklet

then go out and buy every single album listed in that cover

once you've listened to all those albums come back and talk to us again
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!

Ouch Gridgm. 

In other news, listen to the

MC5

Scytale

Based on what you listed

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Black Sabbath - Sabotage, Paranoid
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power
Slayer - Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss
Fear Factory - Demanufacture, Obsolete

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct

I'd advise you to try some web services for this... two I've found to be quite amazing are http://www.last.fm/ and http://www.pandora.com/.  Both produce reccomendations that I actually like.
boldly going nowhere

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android

Spineshank - The Height Of Callousness. If you're going to listen to nu-metal, do it properly ;)

Porcupine Tree - The guy that produces Opeth, Steve Wilson, plays guitar and sings in, as well as produces this band. Amazing material, ranging from heavy to soft, always cool and accessible, yet mature and complex. Fucking great band. Just get everything by them. But if you want a sample first, listen to "Wedding Nails" "Collapse The Light Into The Earth" and "The Sound Of Muzak"

The best CD to start with if you're into whole albums is probably either 'Stupid Dream' or 'In Absentia'. Be a bit wary about listening to older CDs, some of their albums like 'Voyage 34' and 'The Sky Moves Sideways' are quasi-ambient experimental psychedelic stuff with little respect for such musical standards as 'lyrics', 'vocals' or indeed actual 'songs'. Excellent nonetheless but a bit different to the band these days.

Also, if you like Porcupine Tree, investigate Steve's collaboration with Israeli singer Aviv Geffen, Blackfield. Their CDs are both untitled ('Blackfield' and the new one 'Blackfield II', which though unreleased is available through nefarious means and will shortly be able to be legally purchased)

Tool - My favorite band... you must know of them. System Of A Down are among my favorites, and I find most SOAD listeners love Tool as well. If you haven't listened very extensively, check out these tracks. "Jerk-Off," "Sober," "Bottom," "Forty-Six & 2," "Eulogy," "The Grudge," "Ticks and Leeches," "Jambi," and, finally "Right In Two."

Just as most SOAD fans go on to like Tool, there seems to be a strange correlation between Tool fans and Nine Inch Nails fans so listen to Nine Inch Nails I guess. I can't really explain it but I've found very few people who like one but not the other. Maybe because they're both really popular and kinda edgy and controversial in a safe, approchable way. Or maybe it is just a coincidence. Either way you'll probably like Nine Inch Nails.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!

I don't know if this dude is ready for Porcupine Tree.  He should just start off with some Floyd.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Dude, Funhouse.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ScrambledGregs

Dude, Loveless.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

seriously though, i second the death from above 1979 reccomendation. i kinda hate 'em myself but they'll probably suit your needs.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

Man, I fucking hate Trivium.

I saw a Metal Hammer cover recently, on which Trivium were actually being hailed as the saviours of true metal.

I am so glad that I stopped reading that shit-rag before the rot got quite that far.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

lmao... it's called a joke. I am allowed to not be serious right? I don't really hate any genre... except crap, er... rap.

Oh fuck you, man.

My recommendations still stand though. Especially Refused. They're not rap. They just made one punk's great albums.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct

Nothing nice is updating again? SWEET.
boldly going nowhere

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

Mitch is updating NN2S from time to time, yeah. This is an old Joe Dunn guest strip though.

Just check out Mitch's site.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

kokeyjoe

Nelson's "After The Rain" is the heaviest shit since Metallica's "Until It Sleeps."  I suggest looking into Nelson.  Don't be fooled by the name, either.  They're in it to win it.

ScrambledGregs

kokeyjoe

Wine is fine, but whiskey's quicker?

Gridgm

• Beyoncé

and cheddar is bettar....
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Camus can do, but Satre is smartre!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

NiMRoD420

I hate the term "true metal." It reeks of pretense and elitism. Trivium may not be the most original band in the world, and they may have gotten popular through shameless scene slutting, but they are fucking talented. I don't care who says otherwise.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

I hate the term "true metal." It reeks of pretense and elitism. Trivium may not be the most original band in the world, and they may have gotten popular through shameless scene slutting, but they fail at music. I don't care who says otherwise.

I fixed that for you.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication

okay... this thread has evolved from suggestions to a quasi-arguement about music... i've taken some suggestions, the rap comment was sarcasm, and posting in this thread is now and forever irrelevant

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

At another forum, we made rules... number seven was:

"7. THE EASIEST WAY TO LOSE AN ARGUMENT AND SEEM STUPID IS TO SAY, "I WAS JUST JOKING, ANYWAYS!" WE KNOW YOU WEREN'T. WE KNOW WIT, HUMOR AND PSYCHOLOGY, AND WE KNOW THEM MORE THAN YOU."

Have you listened to DFA 1979 yet?
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

NiMRoD420

Thanks mizzy, I knew something was wrong, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. ;)

Seriously, have any of you guys listened to The Crusade?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Thanks mizzy, I knew something was wrong, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. ;)

Seriously, have any of you guys listened to The Crusade?

That's the Metallica covers album, right?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses

There's a difference between elitism and understanding quality. Trivium is fucking terrible. Accept it and move on.

NiMRoD420

Yeah, stylistically it definitely IS a Metallica/Pantera tribute album, with maybe a little AFI thrown in for good measure. I think it's by far their best album so far. The guy was 13 when they recorded Ember To Inferno. That doesn't impress you even a little? Granted, that means he could only shriek like a stuck pig instead of legitimately vocalize. But still. Musically. I've been asking people to explain to me why they suck for years now, musically, and I have never gotten a single respectable answer. It's evidently dictated by the metal church that true metallers must hate Trivium. Now I'll say this about Matt Heafy. He's a spoiled, arrogant douche bag who was handed all this by supportive parents, he's been afforded every opportunity, etc etc. But goddamn, I play lead guitar and I play it well, if I do say so myself, and that guy's technique destroys mine.

Songwriting, is of course, a different story.

NiMRoD420

Spineshank - The Height Of Callousness. If you're going to listen to nu-metal, do it properly ;)

Also, if you like Porcupine Tree, investigate Steve's collaboration with Israeli singer Aviv Geffen, Blackfield. Their CDs are both untitled ('Blackfield' and the new one 'Blackfield II', which though unreleased is available through nefarious means and will shortly be able to be legally purchased)

Just as most SOAD fans go on to like Tool, there seems to be a strange correlation between Tool fans and Nine Inch Nails fans so listen to Nine Inch Nails I guess. I can't really explain it but I've found very few people who like one but not the other. Maybe because they're both really popular and kinda edgy and controversial in a safe, approchable way. Or maybe it is just a coincidence. Either way you'll probably like Nine Inch Nails.

Spineshank is good. There are actually quite a few good bands from that era that got drowned out by the Korns and the Papa Roaches and the Limp Bizkits and the Crazy Towns.

I downloaded Blackfield a couple years ago, but I don't remember ever listening to it. Odd because normally anything Steve Wilson has a hand in that I find out about I am all over like flies on feces.

I used to frequent a website called Audiogalaxy... the Tool and NIN boards were pretty much interchangeable there. The two bands are very closely associated, if by fanbase more than anything else.

Scytale

I like a fair bit of NIN's stuff especially "Pretty Hate Machine" can't really say why it's fairly different to most other stuff I like. Tool on the other hand I can pretty much take or leave, Opiate is a good cd, most of their other albums are a bit of a chore to sit through though.

Despite that when I saw Tool at the Canberra Theatre a few years ago it was a pretty amazing gig.

As for Metal Church, all I can say is listen to "In the Dark" Great album.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Yeah, stylistically it definitely IS a Metallica/Pantera tribute album, with maybe a little AFI thrown in for good measure. I think it's by far their best album so far. The guy was 13 when they recorded Ember To Inferno. That doesn't impress you even a little? Granted, that means he could only shriek like a stuck pig instead of legitimately vocalize. But still. Musically. I've been asking people to explain to me why they suck for years now, musically, and I have never gotten a single respectable answer. It's evidently dictated by the metal church that true metallers must hate Trivium. Now I'll say this about Matt Heafy. He's a spoiled, arrogant douche bag who was handed all this by supportive parents, he's been afforded every opportunity, etc etc. But goddamn, I play lead guitar and I play it well, if I do say so myself, and that guy's technique destroys mine.

Songwriting, is of course, a different story.

Okay unlike everyone else I'm going to meet you eye-to-eye here.

You're right. As far as musicality, Trivium as a band are fairly talented. They can shred. But musicality isn't everything, as you have indicated. The solos in 'Pull Harder On The Strings,' for example; I'm no shred fan normally, but those solos are ridiculous. They're in that ridiculous type of timing where they're playing in 2/3 of a beat or something stupid so that to everyone else except them it sounds out of time; never mind the fact that they're amelodic and shit.

They can play, yeah, sure. But they don't play well.

As far as NIN, I love that band. I realise the vocals are often pretty shite. But Trent Reznor's appreciation of dynamic range, pushing mixing desks to their limit and crazy time signatures speaks to me for some reason.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!

okay... this thread has evolved from suggestions to a quasi-arguement about music... i've taken some suggestions, the rap comment was sarcasm, and posting in this thread is now and forever irrelevant

You strike me as fairly stupid.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android

I used to frequent a website called Audiogalaxy... the Tool and NIN boards were pretty much interchangeable there. The two bands are very closely associated, if by fanbase more than anything else.

Yeah, I guess that's what I was getting it. It's no slight on either band, they just seem curiously intertwined considering the difference in style.

people discussing music on an internet music forum, news at 11

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication

ok ok... I guess I can't just declare this thread over... just know that I won't be visiting this thread after this post... so... i'm happy with the suggestions... and point taken about the saying it's a joke after you've seen it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up