THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 03:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would Like Music Reccomendations based on bands I already listen to...  (Read 11833 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Nelson's "After The Rain" is the heaviest shit since Metallica's "Until It Sleeps."  I suggest looking into Nelson.  Don't be fooled by the name, either.  They're in it to win it.

You could even say, "They're in it full, Nelson."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)

Careful, Johnny...Joe Hocking's handing out death sentences for bad puns today.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

I'm not afraid of this.

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

NiMRoD420

Yeah, stylistically it definitely IS a Metallica/Pantera tribute album, with maybe a little AFI thrown in for good measure. I think it's by far their best album so far. The guy was 13 when they recorded Ember To Inferno. That doesn't impress you even a little? Granted, that means he could only shriek like a stuck pig instead of legitimately vocalize. But still. Musically. I've been asking people to explain to me why they suck for years now, musically, and I have never gotten a single respectable answer. It's evidently dictated by the metal church that true metallers must hate Trivium. Now I'll say this about Matt Heafy. He's a spoiled, arrogant douche bag who was handed all this by supportive parents, he's been afforded every opportunity, etc etc. But goddamn, I play lead guitar and I play it well, if I do say so myself, and that guy's technique destroys mine.

Songwriting, is of course, a different story.

Okay unlike everyone else I'm going to meet you eye-to-eye here.

You're right. As far as musicality, Trivium as a band are fairly talented. They can shred. But musicality isn't everything, as you have indicated. The solos in 'Pull Harder On The Strings,' for example; I'm no shred fan normally, but those solos are ridiculous. They're in that ridiculous type of timing where they're playing in 2/3 of a beat or something stupid so that to everyone else except them it sounds out of time; never mind the fact that they're amelodic and shit.

They can play, yeah, sure. But they don't play well.

As far as NIN, I love that band. I realise the vocals are often pretty shite. But Trent Reznor's appreciation of dynamic range, pushing mixing desks to their limit and crazy time signatures speaks to me for some reason.

Your acknowledgement of their musical talent is appreciated. Now I can get to part two of my Trivium diatribe: These guys have no fucking clue how to write a song! There are actually some pretty good song ideas throughout all their work, and some damn catchy melodies and choruses... but it's never cohesive, and it's usually spoiled by something utterly tasteless. It's a damn shame. Still, I listen to it and enjoy it for what it is.

NIN though... quality. That's all.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker

Anal Cunt joke

Duran Duran joke

+1
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up