THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 31 Aug 2024, 19:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random crap I've tried to make  (Read 4991 times)

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
Random crap I've tried to make
« on: 17 Jan 2007, 19:24 »

I tend to fixate on various arts or crafts for a while and I'll try my hand at it. Because of this I've got a whole bunch of uncompleted projects lying around the place I'll hopefully someday get around to complete. Occasionally, I'll actually manage to keep interest long enough to make something.

I've been interested for a few months in making stencils and then putting the design on paper or, how the interest started, putting the design onto clothing.

In September, I made a basic stencil for the back of a labcoat I was going to wear to an "undead" themed party. I got a few chuckles from it, but only one person actually got the reference *cry*.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/blackeyeddog/RIMG0206.jpg

Just a fairly dodgy trifoil I was trying to figure out how to do for a backpack modification I later abandoned:

A t-shirt design I did as a Christmas gift. This one's a test I did for myself to see if the paint was alright:

Some bracelets I tried to make try out some ideas I had. The top and bottom ones I'm not too keen on, admittedly.

Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

seibei

Re: Random crap I've tried to make
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2007, 03:40 »

reanimator, right? nice.

as for painting stencils on fabric, have you ever tried using freezer paper? it's waxy on one side, and regular on the other. so, check it - you cut the stencil out of this stuff so you can lay it on the garment waxy side down. then, you put the stencil where you want it to go, and then iron it to the garment. it melts the wax, so the stencil is in place until you want to tear it off. it looks like you're getting decent edges on these anyway, but this ensures hell of crispness.

The extra letter

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:16 »

reanimator, right? nice.

as for painting stencils on fabric, have you ever tried using freezer paper? it's waxy on one side, and regular on the other. so, check it - you cut the stencil out of this stuff so you can lay it on the garment waxy side down. then, you put the stencil where you want it to go, and then iron it to the garment. it melts the wax, so the stencil is in place until you want to tear it off. it looks like you're getting decent edges on these anyway, but this ensures hell of crispness.

Yup, reanimator. :D

Nope, I haven't tried freezer paper. I've mainly been using sheets of plastic of various thicknesses to make the stencils and then just taping the stencil to the fabric. I must definitely try the freezer paper though. Plastic's good but it does tend to move around a bit when you're trying to roll the paint over it. I'm sure freezer paper would be a hell of alot easier to cut, too. haha. Thanks for the advice, I've definitely got to try it out...

seibei

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2007, 09:25 »

word! the only issue, of course, is that they're only good for one use, unlike the plastic ones...

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2007, 11:38 »

I love the Ninja Season one!
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

The extra letter

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2007, 05:47 »

word! the only issue, of course, is that they're only good for one use, unlike the plastic ones...

Yeah, that's what's made me steer clear of paper in the past but the upshot is they're a hell of alot easier to make because you're not trying to cut thick-ish plastic to make the stencil.

I love the Ninja Season one!
Thankee, I was quite pleased with the way that one turned out. I've had a few favourable comments from randoms in the street so I'm pleased it's not just me who likes it, haha.

I've got a SQUID SEASON* stencil I've sketched out, I just need to grab my craft knife and cut it out.

*Yes, there IS a trend developing here...

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2007, 13:55 »

Squid season? Oh my goodness! That is totally awsome
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Toeofdoom

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2007, 16:01 »

The best labcoat i have ever seen belonged to my chemistry teacher. It had an illustration on the back of a book with "Don't Panic" written in large, friendly letters on the cover. And if you dont get that reference, you suck :p

but those things are pretty cool, espescially some of the bracelets, theyre great.

iwriterants

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2007, 09:07 »

I've made tons of crap.
i make stencils for tee-shirts. I made a purse out of ties, and I making one for my friends mom and getting paid for it =]. I've also made tons of jewellery and I've turned like four pairs of patns into skirts.

The extra letter

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2007, 17:26 »

The best labcoat i have ever seen belonged to my chemistry teacher. It had an illustration on the back of a book with "Don't Panic" written in large, friendly letters on the cover. And if you dont get that reference, you suck :p

but those things are pretty cool, espescially some of the bracelets, theyre great.
HHGTTG? Best series of novels ever. My physics teacher at school had a whole lot of geeky chemistry references on the back of his labcoat.

I've made tons of crap.
i make stencils for tee-shirts. I made a purse out of ties, and I making one for my friends mom and getting paid for it =]. I've also made tons of jewellery and I've turned like four pairs of patns into skirts.

Ohhh awesome. I like making stuff just for the fun of it, but getting paid for doing so would be really awesome. Haha.
Pages: [1]   Go Up