THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 16:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Oh my god! What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's FLYING this thing?!"  (Read 16140 times)

AllBad

"Oh right, that would be me."

I love this show.
Whee.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

What in God's name are you talking about?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

i was gonna ask the same thing. strange quotes...."this show?"....
*scratches head*
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Doctor Awesome

Firefly.

And yes, it rocks. As does Serenity.

But Serenity doesnt quite stand on its own so well.

Neither is it very good fanservice, it twists the characters too much.

Pretty darn cool though.

AllBad

Sorry for the vague-ness.

Bad habit of mine.

Yes, it's Joss Whedon's Firefly. He's known for creating Buffy.
And I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm all excited to be able to watch all my loverly rented episodes over and over and over and over...
*crazy obsessive eyes*

Anyway. You should see it.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch

Firefly -is- good as is Serenity. I'm also a Buffy fan...  :-P I will concur though, Angel DID suck.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

(glances over at Firefly D.V.D.s that he still hasn't re-watched)

Ehh, Firefly was good. But sometimes I get the feeling that all the excessively slavering fandom that goes on around the show is based more on what might have been if it hadn't been cancelled, than what actually is.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

I liked Buffy and Angel. Firefly wasn't too bad but it never got a chance to live up to its real promise.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Inlander

• coprophage

And yet people go on about it like it's the second coming of sci-fi Jesus! What gives?!

keakaha

(glances over at Firefly D.V.D.s that he still hasn't re-watched)

Ehh, Firefly was good. But sometimes I get the feeling that all the excessively slavering fandom that goes on around the show is based more on what might have been if it hadn't been cancelled, than what actually is.

In the same way as Kurt Cobain.

Inlander

• coprophage

I think that analogy would work better if Firefly had lasted for four seasons, or if Cobain had killed himself after the release of Bleach.

keakaha

Neither of those would have been so bad :p

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

AllBad

Hah!

I loved Buffy while it was on the air, and I still like watching a few of my favorite episodes here and there (Hush remains the favorite, however much crap it gets from the anti-obsessors :P) I was ready for Buffy to end when it did, though...I acknowledge fully the creative genius of Joss Whedon, but man...there's only so many bad special-effects a girl can take. I still crack up whenever I think of the werewolf costume...
I just don't obsess over TV shows easily. I love-love Firefly, but not rabidly. So. I'm babbling. But still. They're good shows. (Except Angel. I didn't like Angel. Still not sure why.)

Wash: "Every planet has its own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled."

thepugs

No, no, no, guys.  With shows like Buffy that run for seven seasons, you can't even talk about the show as an entire entity.  Personally, I loved seasons 1-3, and a little of four, but after that, I would hesitate to call it "good."  Same with Angel, I liked seasons 1 and 2, but the rest were only okay.

I loved Firefly, though.

ThePQ4

Agreed. W/ Buffy, the first 3 seasons were the ones to watch --with a couple of good episodes in the last 4 (Once More With Feeling, anyone??). I, personally, won't -touch- season 4. I hated it... I think my favorite season though was 2.

Firefly is hilarious. I just love the characters.

Inlander

• coprophage

Same with Angel, I liked seasons 1 and 2, but the rest were only okay.

You're kidding! You'd take the po-faced, painfully earnest Angel over the frequently hilarious, taking-the-piss Angel?

Well, gees, okay, each to their own I guess . . .

Mnementh

My problem with Firefly is mostly the fans.  The show was decent, I certainly enjoyed it, but the slavering by the fans kinda makes me go "ick."

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Man. Angel came into its prime when Buffy was turning to shyte. Seasons 3 and 4 of Angel were arsefulls of brilliant. Season 5 was weaker, but that ending was excellent.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

kokeyjoe

What in God's name are you talking about?

First thing that came to my mind was episode four of Clerks: The Animated Series...

"Oh my god, who is driving? Bear is driving! How can that beeee???  Car full of midgets!"

Edit:  I should also add, I bought my girlfriend all of Firefly on DVD for Christmas and I am still yet to watch it.  I... should probably do that soon, especially so I can catch the original reference.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2007, 20:47 by kokeyjoe »

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

Firefly -is- good as is Serenity. I'm also a Buffy fan...  :-P I will concur though, Angel DID suck.

I disagree! The last season of Angel was better than anything on Buffy or Angel before that, I thought it was really just hitting its stride, and then BAM. Cancelled. I disagree with the general consensus that the first seasons of Buffy were the best. I thought the ratio of fantastic episodes to fairly shit episodes stayed constant throughout most of the series. Every season had at least a couple of gems, and quite a few real stinkers.

My problem with Firefly is mostly the fans.  The show was decent, I certainly enjoyed it, but the slavering by the fans kinda makes me go "ick."

I second this. I got involved with some browncoats in the promotion of Serenity, and they were all really nice people, but kind of annoying after a while.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

ThePQ4

See, I've only watched the first season of Angel, and my sisters and I aren't sure if we want to spend $50 each for the last 4 (or whatever). ...This thread has become less about Firefly and more about how much Buff and Angel did/did not suck.

AllBad

I watched Angel long enough to realize that I really couldn't stand it, ignored it's existance for the rest of season one and season two, and then caught back up with it reluctantly the third and some of the fourth season. And those episodes I could watch without wanting to shoot myself, but...I was just never impressed with the show as a whole.
Buffy...I felt obliged to keep watching after four seasons, and just never broke the habit of -not- watching it. I still liked the later seasons, but like most Buffy fans with brains, I agree that the first seasons were never especially surpassed.

Just thinking now...I wonder how many seasons Firefly could've survived?

Ravenbomb

I think Firefly should've at least gotten to season 5. Season 5 of Buffy and Angel were my favorites, especially the finales. I want a season 5 finale of Firefly... :-(

-sam

Late season Angel did give us Muppet!Angel, so it wasn't all bad.

What we saw of Firefly gave us enough questions to probably fill out three or four seasons.  I have no idea if Serenity was where Joss originally wanted to go with River and Reavers, but those explaning those two alone could easily fill out a pair of seasons.  Not to mention what was up with Book, or Inara.  Hell, Jayne's backstory  probably had another couple of episodes left in it.  Ah well, it's not to be.

What I want to know is when is Joss going to show up on "How I Met Your Mother?"  There's already been 4 or 5 on the show, and that's not counting Willow.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2007, 04:25 by -sam »

Entilzah

Just thinking now...I wonder how many seasons Firefly could've survived?

Obviously only one and a movie.......since that's all that was made before cancelation

KrysNyteshade

Oh man, I love Firefly and Serenity so much. One day someone's going to get one of the random Firefly references I make, and my head's just going to explode.

I've heard whisperings of another set of Firefly comics coming out this year...

Locke

Firefly owns me, just because of the greatest ensemble cast known to television.  There really were no weak links.

Fillion is starring in Drive, also created by Tim Minear, one of the Firefly team though, which should be the ultimate Fox show.

Now for quotes:

"And Kaylee, what the hell's goin' on in the engine room? Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

Alliance Commander: "You fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"
Zoe: "Fought with a lot of people in the war."
Alliance Commander: "And your husband?"
Zoe: "Fight with him sometimes, too."

"Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."
"You didn't have to wound the man."
"Yeah, I know, it was just funny."

"The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems."
"See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like."

"Dear Diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy." (flips page) "Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

Scytale

I love Firefly but I think Angel was the best thing Whedon ever did,  season 2 of Angel was incredibly good,  It was like Angel's very own existential crisis. Angel cuts himself off from everybody starts questioning he's motives and then just gives up. There this one scene 3/4 of the way through the season, where Angel gets into an elevator destined for hell, fully prepared to end he's life. He gets this big lecture about the nature of evil and how it can't be defeated. Then the elevator stops the doors open and he steps out into hell, only to find himself back on the streets of LA, it was amazing like something straight out of Sartre, then to cap it off Angel shattered by this revelation, gives up everything entirely goes and fucks Darla in an attmept to loose he's soul.

Some of the most amazing TV. Unfortunately the whole tv series went straight down the toilet from that point on...

As for Firefly, I think the best thing about it is that the characterisations are very real, you know Mal's not a good man but you're rooting for him anyway. He's not a hero or a villian, he sort of lives in that grey area, very human sort of character, with very real flaws.

My favorite Firefly quote has to be the whole exchange with Badger in the pilot. Especially:

BADGER:
What were you in that big war you failed to win, a Sergeant? Sergeant Malcolm Reynolds, Balls and Bayonets Brigade, big tough veteran, now you got yourself a ship and you're a captain! Only I think you're still a Sergeant, see. Still a soldier, man of honour in a den of thieves. Well it's my gorramn den and I don't like the way you look down on me. I'm above you...

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

I miss Buffy.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Locke

I love Firefly but I think Angel was the best thing Whedon ever did

I gotta disagree with you.  Toy Story was.  Most people forget that was him who wrote it.  Anyway, in television I would go for the Buffy Musical, which stands as my favorite single episode of television.

I think that Firefly would have been ultimately a better series than buffy or angel, if only for the superior cast interactions.  It took the Buffy cast a few seasons to really work as well together as the Firefly cast did inside of a few episodes.  That said, I think the firefly WORSHIP would have been significantly less.  While the "Browncoats" can certainly be annoyingly devoted, they were largely responsible for the rise of the film, so I have no big qualms with them.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2007, 14:22 by Locke »

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic

I have to say, I am one of those rabid Firefly fanboys. I thought the show was intelligent, hilarious, harrowing and interesting. The only weakness I could find in it is that there was very little reason for TV viewers to watch week-to-week as the episodes often had little if anything to do with one another.

Also, more random Firefly quotes!

Jayne: "Does anyone remember when she came after me with a butcher's knife?"
Wash: *wistfully* "Wacky fun..."
Jayne: "You wanna go, little man?"
Wash: "Only if it's somewhere with candlelight."
Zoey: "I don't think she would HURT anyone."
Jayne: "Butcher's knife?!"
Zoey: "Anyone we can't spare."

Simon: "Are you alliance?"
Early: "Am I a lion? Well, I don't think of myself as a lion, but you might as well. I've got a mighty roar."
Simon: "I said are you alliance."
Early: "Oh...I thought."
Simon: "No."
Early: "That's weird."

Simon: "Are you a bounty hunter?"
Early: "No, that ain't it at all."
Simon: "Then what are you?"
Early: "I'm a bounty hunter."

"THE HERO OF CANTON THE MAN THEY CAAAALL JAYNE"

Zoey: "No one's saying you have to come."
Jayne: "Good. I don't know these people. Don't want to."
Mal: "They're whores."
Jayne: *immediately* "I'm in."

Nishka: "You died, Mr. Reynolds."
Mal: "Seemed like the thing to do."

Mal: "Did you tell her?"
Zoey: "Tell me what?"
Mal: "Your husband has demanded we sleep together. Figures it'll get all that sexual tension out in the open."
Wash: "What? Mal, no! That was the torture talking! Remember? The torture?"
Zoey: "I understand, sir. We have no choice. Take me, sir. Take me hard."
Jayne: "Now that's just unsettling."

Early, trapped floating in space: "Well. Here I am."
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

AllBad

Ahhh! I love the "lion" exchange. Early's one of those characters I'd love to have seen more on, in whatever way...I've always thought it'd be way too awesome if he showed up in some of the earlier episodes, on the fringe of a crowd or just at the very edge of the screen...Just enough to point out and be "OMGITSEARLYHOLYSHIZZ". He's said he'd been tracking them for forever, anyway.

"You wanna go, Little Man?" Aww. I love Wash. Hate the mustache in the flashback, though. Dear lord, that was horrible.

River: "Jayne" is a girl's name.
Jayne: Well, Jayne ain't a girl! She starts in on that girl's-name thing, [reaches into his pants] I'll show her good 'n' all, I got man parts!
Simon: I'm? trying to think of a way for you to be cruder. I just? it's not coming.

Zo?: First rule of battle, little one? don't ever let them know where you are.
[Cut to Mal, firing behind himself as he runs toward the two.]
Mal: WHOO-HOO! I'M RIGHT HERE! I'M RIGHT HERE! YOU WANT SOME O' ME?! YEAH YOU DO! COME ON! COME ON! AAAAAH!
[He lands with a grunt behind some nearby rocks.]
Mal: Whoo-hoo!
Zo?: Course, there're other schools of thought.
Mal: Whew! Ha. That was bracing. They don't like it when you shoot at 'em. I worked that out myself.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic

Zoey, upon first meeting her future husband: "I don't like him."

Wash, being interrogated by the Alliance, about his wife: "The legs! It was definately the legs. You can write that down. The legs and where her back meets her legs. Actually, that whole area...and above it."

Inara: "What did I say about barging onto my shuttle?"
Mal: "That it was manly and impulsive?"

Mal, Confused about Wash and Zoey's arguing: "Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry....and I'm armed. So if you two have something you need to work out..."

River, to Jayne: "Also, I can kill you with my brain."

Mal, to Inara: "This distress call wouldn't be takin' place in someone's pants, now would it?"

Mal: "I'll introduce you to the crew, they're good people."
Jayne: "Can I start gettin' sexed?"
Mal: "Well, that one's kind of horrific."

Mal: "This is the last time. Last time with cows. There was an idea with beagles! I believe they have smallish droppings?"

Shepherd, after being shot, to Mal: "I think I need a preacher."
Mal: "That's good. You lie there and be ironical."

Jayne, after seeing Inara take a female client to her shuttle: "I'll be in my bunk."
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO

One of the funniest quotes came from the bloopers on the Serenity DVD.

Mal: "Get these bodies together, I want them roped across the front of the ship.  Kaylee!  Go find that kid who's taking a dirt nap with baby Jesus, we need a hood ornament.  Jayne!  Try not to steal too much of their shit!"

Peter Harris

I actually think the point was that Serenity wasn't as good as Firefly, to which I concur.

And I believe Firefly was amazing in its own right.  While I can't speak for the overall fandom, and I do agree that its potential was greater than the show itself, it is the only show to ever make me cry (movies - all the time.  Not TV), and I love the episodes.  The script construction is so tight.  It's hard to make TV tighter than what it was, without turning it into the television equivalent of Ultraviolet or Smokin' Aces.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
also israel

GruntyBalboa

• Plantmonster
  • Work was fun

Simon: Are you Alliance?
    Early: Am I a lion?
    Simon: What?
    Early: I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though ? I have a mighty roar.
    Simon: I said "Alliance".
    Early: Oh, I thought?
    Simon: No, I was?
    Early: That's weird.

Slacker

Firefly owns.  It was a completely amazing and original show, it's just so sad that it got cancelled.  :(

Quote from Serenity:

Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2007, 19:11 by Slacker »
Pages: [1]   Go Up