THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 00:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Artists That Should Never Ever Be Covered. Ever.  (Read 68555 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Re: Artists That Should Never Ever Be Covered. Ever.
« Reply #50 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:55 »

Ockham's Razor, Johnny...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #51 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:57 »

I think that two bands using the exact same line "take these hands and throw them in the river" is a REALLY big coincidence.  It's not like the line is something simple, like "I used to love her" or "I'm sorry I ran over your cat".
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #52 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:01 »

Radiohead
A band called Obadiah Parker did a great cover of Idioteque. Not only that, but it was live with acoustic instruments.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #53 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:04 »

I think that two bands using the exact same line "take these hands and throw them in the river" is a REALLY big coincidence.  It's not like the line is something simple, like "I used to love her" or "I'm sorry I ran over your cat".

that's very true and most likely thursday did steal the line. damn thieves! but i wouldn't really consider that a cover, just a case of blatant rip-offery.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #54 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:05 »

I'm going to have to defeat my own point by just now remembering that Infradig does a fucking awesome instrumental medley of Radiohead songs.  It's not really a "cover" per se, though, more like a live sound collage.

Will

« Reply #55 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:09 »

@Wombat: Yeah, two songs really sound nothing at all alike, and the only thing that's the same is that one line, so calling the Thursday song a 'cover' is really not applicable here.  I wonder if it was something they did intentionally or not though; a lot of times in stuff I write, I'll find myself using snippets and phrases that when I go back and read it I realize I grabbed it from the lines to a song that was in my head, or a writer I'm really into.  It's not necessarily that I'm trying to pass off these words as being my own, more that I don't realize that I'm that heavily influenced by artists at times.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #56 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:19 »

Wait, at no point did I say Thursday was "covering" ASMZ, I was just mentioning that they ripped off a line from them.

Thursday also have an awful song called "Ian Curtis".  Basically I hate that damn band.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #57 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:21 »

you hate thursday or you hate joy division?

if it's the latter do you, by association, hate 'ian curtis wishlist' by xiu xiu?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #58 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:25 »

No no, I hate Thursday.  Joy Division is one of my three favorite bands of all time.

I also enjoy Xiu Xiu.  I am man enough to admit I would go gay for Jamie Stewart.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #59 on: 22 Jan 2007, 10:02 »

The point stands that Nirvana were an important gateway band. If you don't like the music, you should at least appreciate that some of the people that did probably grew up to make interesting music of their own or just expanded their musical horizons to the extent that the music they listen to now is a lot better than it was before they knew who Nirvana were. Look at all the bands I named in this post we can connect with Nirvana. I'll bet almost all of these bands benefited from the connection in some way. Maybe that should be the legacy of Nirvana.

Tommy, I have spent UNCOUNTABLE art lessons, car journeys, outdoor drinking sessions, house parties and goodness knows what else being forced to listen to Bleach, In Utero, Incesticide and whatever (In fact, I had to point out to two of my close friends that the album was not called Insecticide). I went through at least one year of every single one of my closest friends being obsessed with Nirvana, Courtney-killed-Kurt conspiracies and all. Of these five guys and two girls who spent that year learning how to put on heavy eyeliner (I was already wearing lipstick) and wearing their obligatory Nirvana shirts, I can honestly say that maybe one of them actually had his musical taste improved by listening to Nirvana, and that's only because Nirvana probably got him into Placebo, which then got him into Bowie. Two of them are now cliche scene kids, and one is a pillhead. None of them, to my knowledge (And I'm still good friends with most of them, one even goes to art college with me), likes any of the bands mentioned in your post (which is interesting, at the end of the day, because I, the man who has disliked Nirvana since the first note, like at least some stuff by The Melvins and The Pixies).

It remains, that for all the rock-nerd wanking and rationalisation, the legacy of Nirvana was not turning hard rock music in to a beautiful liberal flower of loveliness and making everyone listen to your favourite eighties bands. Far from it. The legacy of Nirvana, in real world terms, was to popularise two aspects of underground music of the 80's: soft-loud singing dynamics and dischordant guitar fuzz. This set the stage for every awful mainsteam rock band till whenever it was everyone started ripping off Gang of Four and New Order again. You yourself admitted that they are entirely describable by their influences: they broke no rules, they made no advances, they merely proved commercial viability, which is always the worst measure of how good anything is.

Also, the bands you mentioned in regards to eighties rock are, to be fair, shit. Some of them I would still take over Nirvana purely sonically, but they are not what I consider when I think of eighties rock. In this case, Nirvana might be categorised, I suppose, as a positive phenomenon, in that it pushed heavy metal back underground where it belongs, in the hands of people who genuinely love it and killed off Hair Metal, which admittedly did suck, though, in my opinion, a lot less than the nu metal which rode grunges coat-tails to fame. I suppose I was more thinking of the old-school metal my friends might have been listening to had I gone to school a decade earlier. S.O.D., Slayer, Anthrax, Venom, Iron Maiden, Kreator, Judas Priest, 80's Metallica and so forth. And Motley Crue and Twisted Sister. They were good.

On that subject, I once wrote this great song and realised that I'd stolen the singing melody in the verse from, of all people, Nine Inch Nails, so I had to ditch the whole thing (I keep songs scanning properly by developing the melody in my head as I write it and sticking to that).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jan 2007, 10:19 »

Nirvana cause a LOT of kids to buy Sonic Youth albums.

'Nuff said.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #61 on: 22 Jan 2007, 10:24 »

My interest in alternative music started by never listening to contemporary pop music, ever. At the time all my friends were getting seriously obsessed with Nirvana (14/15), my favourite songs of all time were 'Puritania' by Dimmu Borgir, 'Queen of Winter, Throned' by Cradle of Filth, 'Countess Bathory' by Venom, 'Disciples of Black Sorcery' by Thou Art Lord and 'I Am The Black Wizards' by Emperor. My softer listening was all Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Pink Floyd. I thought Nirvana were lame, and, though I know far, far more about music now then I did then, my initial opinion held, and not for want of re-appraisal, I own two Nirvana albums. Never been able to sit through either of them.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2007, 10:30 by KharBevNor »
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jan 2007, 10:25 »

no one should ever, ever cover sigur ros. in any way.
want proof why? listen to the mp3s here: http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/news/
just scroll down to the 'covers and remixes' section.

edit:
i'd like to add that no one should cover neutral milk hotel. mainly b/c i've heard several attempts and they just....hurt.
Didn't Thursday do a cover of Sigur Ros's Ni Batteri? (I haven't heard it, I've just heard people complain about it.) I kind of want to hear it, just to see how bad the song would be. It was never a really good song to begin with, but with Thursday covering it, it should be especcially bad!

Bah! Ny Batteri is one of their bests. Geoff sort of takes "artistic liberty" with the vocals in Thursday's version, however.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #63 on: 22 Jan 2007, 12:08 »

the legacy of Nirvana was not turning hard rock music in to a beautiful liberal flower of loveliness and making everyone listen to your favourite eighties bands

The point is that some people did who wouldn't have otherwise, and simply saying "oh but they didn't" runs in direct contradiction to my own personal experience and the experience of others who have expressed interest in Nirvana and I've responded to with, "Oh, then you might like..."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 22 Jan 2007, 13:32 »

I got into The Vaselines through Nirvana. I got into the Pixies really early, then other people said "Then you may like this!". After a while I figured out that bands thank other bands in their liner notes, bands cover other bands who they like... if Band A really digs Band X, and I really like Band A, then maybe I should check out Band X.

Edit to answer the first post:
Neal Diamond. Please no one cover Sweet Caroline. Ever.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #65 on: 22 Jan 2007, 14:04 »

I got into good music via covers as well, except my starting point was Cradle of Filth. Oh, Dani, thank you for your love of The Misfits and the Sisters of Mercy.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #66 on: 22 Jan 2007, 15:41 »

Led Zeppelin. If I hear one more goddamn horrible cover of "Stairway to Heaven" I'm going to punch a pregnant woman.

The only exception is the (alleged) traditional Mexican music cover of a lot of their more famous works. I can't think of anything that could possibly contain any more pure awesome.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #67 on: 22 Jan 2007, 16:45 »

I actually prefer Tools cover of "No Quarter", but I wasn't a huge fan of the original to begin with anyway.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

debaser24/7

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #69 on: 22 Jan 2007, 17:34 »

I'm going to agree on the Nirvana idea because I've heard someone try to cover....wait for it.... Smells Like Teen Spirit. Oh God I nearly vomited, it was disgusting. The original song was good don't get me wrong, but they tried to slow it down and actually concentrate on the drug inspired lyrics. I have never attended that bar again for fear the band may play there again.   
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jan 2007, 17:59 »

I'd have to say covering Fergie or Avril Lavigne in a dramatic and/or film noir style is a terrible idea, and no one should ever do it.

carrotosaurus

• Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #71 on: 22 Jan 2007, 18:50 »

Led Zeppelin. If I hear one more goddamn horrible cover of "Stairway to Heaven" I'm going to punch a pregnant woman.

The only exception is the (alleged) traditional Mexican music cover of a lot of their more famous works. I can't think of anything that could possibly contain any more pure awesome.

My old jazz teacher had a fusion band that covered all of Zeppelin's music. As well as Hendrix. And it was absolutely the best thing ever. It was as if Miles Davis was having brunch with John Bonham and they decided to jam together in the afternoon.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #72 on: 22 Jan 2007, 21:13 »

My Bloody Valentine

actually...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NGnN7Yx69o

Wow, I had my doubts when all I saw was some dude with an acoustic guitar, but that was quite good.

For all the Radiohead cover bashing, I think that Brad Mehldau does some fucking great jazz covers of their stuff.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #73 on: 22 Jan 2007, 21:58 »

I'd have to say covering Fergie or Avril Lavigne in a dramatic and/or film noir style is a terrible idea, and no one should ever do it.

Fergalicious
I will do it.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Will

« Reply #74 on: 22 Jan 2007, 22:14 »

Someone may already have done so...

kokeyjoe

« Reply #75 on: 23 Jan 2007, 00:02 »

Yes, that's what I was oh-so-subtly referring to.

Will

« Reply #76 on: 23 Jan 2007, 00:05 »

And my post was oh-so-subtly referring to our friend the firebird up thar...besides, I'm perfectly allowed to shamelessly plug my own efforts, right?  AMIRITE?

kokeyjoe

« Reply #77 on: 23 Jan 2007, 00:33 »

I, too, was referring to the bird extinguishing its head in the sand.  I should have quoted, my bad.  And by the way, Will, what was that link again?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #78 on: 23 Jan 2007, 02:39 »

Radiohead

LOL.

Dude...that's terrible...and I fucking LOVE IT.

'We're not done yet...we're Radiohead though, so we'll play for as long as we want and you'll listen.'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #79 on: 23 Jan 2007, 06:16 »

Nirvana can be covered exceptionally well, if done in the right way.

I bring before the court Exhibit A:

The Polyphonic Spree's cover of "Lithium"

the polyphonic spree can do whatever they want.

this is a bit more specific, but there was an album released of female singers singing finn brothers stuff.
that should never have happened.

Thirgaofq

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #80 on: 23 Jan 2007, 06:31 »

I would much rather see a list of individual songs which shouldn't be covered anymore. Topping the list for me is "Love Will Tear Us Apart."
I counter with the best cover of it ever: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DEB1B0035182C6F0

Schmitt

« Reply #81 on: 23 Jan 2007, 06:53 »

I got into good music via covers as well, except my starting point was Cradle of Filth. Oh, Dani, thank you for your love of The Misfits and the Sisters of Mercy.

Because of Cradle of Filth covering No Time to Cry I went out and found as much Sisters of Mercy as possible, which in turn led me on an amazing chase for anything gothic rock or darkwave, and from there got into dark metal, and quite probably, if it weren't for Cradle of Filth covering No Time to Cry, it's entirely possible I would have never begun listening to Agalloch, and that would have been a great tragedy.

On the flipside, because Cradle of Filth covered Black Metal, I was in turn pointed in the direction of Venom and Bathory, and from there more black metal.

I don't listen to CoF all that much anymore, but because of their covers, I now listen to some amazing things.

Rubby

• http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #82 on: 23 Jan 2007, 07:04 »

You made me remember that an AFI cover of The Misfits what got me into them (Misfits).
So yeah, covers can be quite a useful tool in your musical education.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #83 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:22 »

Because of Cradle of Filth covering No Time to Cry I went out and found as much Sisters of Mercy as possible, which in turn led me on an amazing chase for anything gothic rock or darkwave, and from there got into dark metal, and quite probably, if it weren't for Cradle of Filth covering No Time to Cry, it's entirely possible I would have never begun listening to Agalloch, and that would have been a great tragedy.

On the flipside, because Cradle of Filth covered Black Metal, I was in turn pointed in the direction of Venom and Bathory, and from there more black metal.

I don't listen to CoF all that much anymore, but because of their covers, I now listen to some amazing things.

Pretty much what I did. Their cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name turned me on to Maiden as well. Similiarly, Dimmu Borgirs odd penchant for covering 80's metal got me in to Twisted Sister and Accept. The other main way I discovered new music back at the start of the whole business was random keyword searches on Kazaa. A vague query as to whether anyone had ever written a song about Countess Bathory led me to Venom, Bathory, Candlemass and Tormentor, all in one go.

Pukka, that was.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #84 on: 23 Jan 2007, 15:54 »

You made me remember that an AFI cover of The Misfits what got me into them (Misfits).
So yeah, covers can be quite a useful tool in your musical education.
Interestingly it was the other way around for me. I heard a couple of Misfits tracks and then heard AFI were similar so I downloaded some. w00t. So I ended up buying every AFI album over a few years and only just brought a Misfits disc :D
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #85 on: 24 Jan 2007, 02:59 »

best "lwtua" evar

Oh man, that is actually really good. I've heard it before - My Old Kentucky Blog had a big series where they went through songs that get covered over and over again, and that was one of them.

Corcarpemei

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #87 on: 24 Jan 2007, 03:46 »

Oh, and about Radiohead....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3400843574616846490&q=radiohead

That is seriously fucked up.  In a sort of great way.

Corcarpemei

« Reply #88 on: 24 Jan 2007, 03:55 »

If you're interested, here's the whole show: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8341587055264511911&q=radiohead

It's quite a bit more interesting...if you like that stuff.  This band has also done Led Zeppelin, the Talking Heads, RHCP (twice), The Who, The Smashing Pumpkins, Pink Floyd, and (the one many bands have done) The Beatles.

magnanimusman

« Reply #89 on: 24 Jan 2007, 05:52 »

I have actually heard a really good cover of the Beatles' Across the Universe.  I know that isn't the catagory but in general yeah covers do suck. 

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #90 on: 24 Jan 2007, 06:03 »

Laibach's cover of Across the Universe is amazing. They have a choir of basically Hitler Youth singing it in the video. Probably the creepiest time they exposed a disturbing fascist undercurrent in a song was their cover of Queens 'One Vision' which they retitled 'Geburt Einer Nation' (Birth of a Nation) and sung in German.

"Ein Mensch, ein Ziel,
und eine Weisung.
Ein Herz, ein Geist,
nur eine Loesung.
Ein Brennen der Glut.
Ein Gott, Ein Leitbild.

Ein Fleisch, ein Blut,
ein wahrer Glaube.
Ein Ruf, ein Traum,
ein starker Wille
Gibt mir ein Leitbild"

I can never listen to that song in the same way now.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #91 on: 24 Jan 2007, 09:43 »

Anyone else heard Nouvelle Vague's cover of the Dead Kennedy's Too Drunk To Fuck?

It shouldn't work with acid jazz, BUT IT DOES!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #92 on: 24 Jan 2007, 10:40 »

It's bossa nova, not acid jazz.

Ben yayayayayayayay

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • You are so handsome. You are my friend.
« Reply #93 on: 24 Jan 2007, 12:17 »

I bet Elliott Smith could cover the Microp...shit nevermind.

I seriously think he could though if it weren't for that one obvious setback, cause their voices are very similar to me.

And I think it's possible to do a decent cover of Neutral Milk Hotel, as long as the song is Holland, 1945 and no other song. Sigur Ros should cover Holland, 1945 (?!).
If you fight fire with fire, you will just make a bigger fire. Yes.
But if you fight fire with crystals, and ice bulbs, you will put the fire out and the crystals will turn to diamonds!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #94 on: 24 Jan 2007, 12:27 »

I'm constantly toying with the idea of covering 'In The Aeroplane Over the Sea' for Ill Met By Moonlight. My only barrier is trying to replicate the brass. I've got something close on my harmonica, but I'm going to wait till I get a diatonic before I try anything resembling recording.

Shiney_Gothique

« Reply #95 on: 24 Jan 2007, 12:33 »

Madonna. Unfortunately she has been covered?multiple times.
One of the more interesting covers was a cover of ?Like A Virgin? done by Marilyn Manson no less. Lol!

?Have you ever kissed a girl??

debaser24/7

« Reply #96 on: 24 Jan 2007, 14:06 »

And I think it's possible to do a decent cover of Neutral Milk Hotel, as long as the song is Holland, 1945 and no other song. Sigur Ros should cover Holland, 1945 (?!).

I think The Faint covered that once.

Schmitt

« Reply #97 on: 24 Jan 2007, 15:55 »

Pretty much what I did. Their cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name turned me on to Maiden as well. Similiarly, Dimmu Borgirs odd penchant for covering 80's metal got me in to Twisted Sister and Accept. The other main way I discovered new music back at the start of the whole business was random keyword searches on Kazaa. A vague query as to whether anyone had ever written a song about Countess Bathory led me to Venom, Bathory, Candlemass and Tormentor, all in one go.

Pukka, that was.

For all of Dani's faults, he's one helluva gateway drug.

When I started searching for more stuff about Countess Bathory I started playing Diablo II again and got into Sunn O))). And if anybody could take the sound of a fluorescent lightbulb, add some guitars and Satanic moanings and make it sound good, it's them.

My story of being turned on to Iron Maiden is quite possibly the oddest way possible......I had been misinformed by a friend that Wheatus' "Teenage Dirtbag" was actually by Iron Maiden, and having been raised rather sheltered, I had no knowledge of the beast. So my buddy picked up a copy of "Brave New World" (now one of my three favorite albums ever) from the library, and I scanned the cd thoroughly looking for some semblance of "Teenage Dirtbag." I found none, but did discover Iron Maiden because of it.

On the subject of never cover, I don't know if I ever want to hear someone cover Porcupine Tree, it's not that I don't think somebody could do a good job, I just don't think that I ever want to hear it performed by anybody other than Steven Wilson and company, because he gets everything perfect the first time around.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #98 on: 24 Jan 2007, 16:28 »

Madonna. Unfortunately she has been covered?multiple times.
One of the more interesting covers was a cover of ?Like A Virgin? done by Marilyn Manson no less. Lol!

With a name like "Shiney_Gothique" I'd think you'd be familiar with BiGod20's version of "Like a Prayer" which is awesome but has a tendency to be overplayed at every goth night ever since 1991.

But let's not forget Ciccone Youth's "Burnin' Up" and "Into the Groovey", the latter of which is absolutely fucking brilliant.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #99 on: 24 Jan 2007, 17:50 »

It's bossa nova, not acid jazz.

Absolutely. I don't know what I was thinking. I blame work-related stress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up