THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 20:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GEARHEADS: I need help with a wah pedal  (Read 2125 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
GEARHEADS: I need help with a wah pedal
« on: 17 Jan 2007, 19:43 »

So. I'm looking at Musician's Friend, and I've come down to two wah pedals that I really dig. There's the $99 Vox wah pedal:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-V847-WahWah-Pedal?sku=702160

Or there's the $69 Dunlop crybaby:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Original-Crybaby-Wah-Pedal?sku=151000

The trouble is, I don't know which one to get. I could wait for my Christmas money to come through and go for the Vox, or I could go for the less expensive Crybaby. I don't have any experience with either, but I remember from my friend's Dunlop Crybaby 535Q or whatever it was, the damn thing was too sensitive.

So which do I go for?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: GEARHEADS: I need help with a wah pedal
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2007, 19:54 »

Wait it out and get the first one.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2007, 20:10 »

Went back and checked my balance and apparently I don't need to wait it out anymore, heh. I think I'm going to get that Vox guy though. I like the sound of the wah in Hendrix's Woodstock performance, and he used a Vox during that show. So I think I'll take your advice and go for the Vox.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2007, 20:41 »

Not to confuse you anymore with choices, but have you looked at this one at all?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-Steve-Vai-Bad-Horsie-2-Contour-Wah-Pedal?sku=150751

I've heard good things about this, but then again, I'm a rather huge Steve Vai fan, so... I might be a little biased.

As far as your original choices, though, Vox is perfectly reputable in the wah pedal department, and the Crybaby name is rather legendary.  I myself used to use a Crybaby bass wah and never had a problem with it.  I think you'll be happy with either choice.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2007, 23:08 »

As far as your original choices, though, Vox is perfectly reputable in the wah pedal department, and the Crybaby name is rather legendary.  I myself used to use a Crybaby bass wah and never had a problem with it.  I think you'll be happy with either choice.

Yeah, like I said, I played the Crybaby 535Q and it sounded nice, but it just didn't let me do the stuff I wanted to with it, and I don't know if that happens with all of Dunlop's wah pedals. I want to be able to control the speed of the wah, it only let me do a really fast "WAAAH! THAT IS ALL I'VE GOT, I WON'T ALLOW YOU TO HOLD YOUR AUDIENCE IN SUSPENSE, YOU JERK, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT" kind of deal.

Regarding that Bad Horsie, I've heard it in use, but I just haven't used it and I know nothing about it. I think that trying an instrument's major sound-altering equipment out is just as important, if not more important than trying the instrument itself out.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2007, 01:09 »

Dude, do not buy an inferior wah pedal just because you were too impatient for money to come through. When you are rocking peoples faces, the wait will have been totally worth it.

(Disclaimer:I do not know a lot about wah pedals except that they sound awesome)
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2007, 01:20 »

Personal preference - Dunlop Crybaby. Look around online for an older one though. They never break. Dunlop and Vox both make really durable, amazing sounding  pedals, and both sound really slick... Just to give you some info before you plug it in hoping on sounding like Hendrix - his was drastically modified. If you're feeling lucky, there are TONS of wah mod tutorials online and you can get really anal about the sound you're looking for by putting in a different resistor or capacitor. It's easier to do than you think.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2007, 19:59 »

If you're feeling lucky, there are TONS of wah mod tutorials online and you can get really anal about the sound you're looking for by putting in a different resistor or capacitor. It's easier to do than you think.

Yeah, I've ordered the Vox guy already now (cash came through, shityeah) and I'll see how it sounds before I mod it. I have a good friend who's been dissecting and building radios since he was around 10, so I can just ask him to help me, too.

The thing that bothered me about the Dunlop I used was that it was just too damn sensitive. I hated that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up