THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 Predictions!  (Read 20541 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
2007 Predictions!
« on: 23 Jan 2007, 03:16 »

The title sort of says it all. What game-related events are you predicting for the current year?

I'll start!

Killzone 2 will be an extremely pretty piece of garbage. If it's really coming out this year, then there's no way they'll have time to fix everything that was wrong with the first game.

There's no way in hell Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be a 2007 game. I'm saying spring '08, at earliest.

As much as I really want Heavenly Sword to be the exclusive PS3 game that blows people away, because I love games where you cut up lots of fools and look awesome doing it, the fact that we haven't seen ANY gameplay footage six months before it's supposed to hit stores is a giant alarm bell in my brain. This one is also either getting delayed, or kicked out the door half-finished and disappointing.

BioShock will be an amazing game, but nobody's gonna buy it. It will look incredible, but as soon as all the shooter fans find out it's a game with a cohesive, compelling storyline but no multiplayer they'll immediately lose interest and go back to posting on message boards with handles like MazterCheef about how great Halo 3 will be. Unless it manages to capture the survival-horror Resident Evil crowd it's gonna flop for sure.

Sony will cut the PSP's price again and release another wave of desperately ridiculous 'street' ads instead of actually making good first party games for it.

Anybody else have ideas?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

the_tard

Re: 2007 Predictions!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2007, 06:59 »

CRYSIS. PLEASE give me crysis. Gah must have want need.http://www.crysis-game.com/11.jpg  http://www.gamemag.ru/pics/13328-crysis_tech_demo.jpg 
http://www.forum-fps.com/images/crysis/4.jpg  http://www.bit-tech.net/content_images/crysis_new_screenshots/crysis10_large.jpg

To be brutally honest I would like nice game play but if all I get is beautiful garbage I would be OK with that. I understand this makes me a bad person.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2007, 07:02 by the_tard »

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2007, 07:23 »

To be honest, I'm not as optimistic about Bioshock as a lot of people seem to be, but I'm predicting it will be a damn good game, that will meet with great critical acclaim, but be seriously hindered by the fact that it's nowhere near as groundbreaking as the creator is claiming it will be. The situation will make the game sales go from decent to "cult classic" level of sales. I will still buy it for PC and whore it out.

Sony will do and/or say something stupid.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:07 »

I predict ATi's foray into DX10 will be on-par with nVidia's, but with superior driver support. Not that this means anything to fanboys, though.

Crysis will be the new Oblivion, in that the official forums will be flooded with posts yelling at the developers for making a game that doesn't work, only to be kindly told that their computer is incapable of running it. There will be a lot of these people. The people who play this game on high will also have a Porsche in their garage.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl had better damn well arrive. And I better have the money to buy it and the console required. The Wii will get bigger, with developers figuring out what works (Zelda) and what doesn't (Red Steel) with the Wiimote. Hardcore gamers will start picking up Wiis when Nintendo starts dropping games on them.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:43 »

Supreme Commander drops in Feb out this way.  RTS game of the year.

Not sure what else is coming out this year.  Might have to look into it and get back.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2007, 08:55 »

The only good games for the PSP will be remakes or ports of older games, typically Playstation 1 games.

The only good games for the DS will be quirky stuff that is fun, pick up and play material but nothing that makes me want to buy it for that same reason.

The only good games for the Wii will be First or Second party. There will probably be only a handful of RPGs, if any at all.

The only good games for the PS3 will be Third party and racing, shooting, or RPGs.

The only good games for the Xbox 360 will be Halo 3 (but I keed!!)

As usual, the PC will see a steady stream of good games but will be increasingly marginalized as consoles become more like PCs.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2007, 09:43 »

Lunar Knights will be an excellent, solid game that no one will play. After all using the d-pad and face buttons on the DS is taboo.

Heavenly Sword will probably just be another mediocre button masher with flashy graphics like Genji. I'd put my money on Lair being the game that makes people almost consider giving the PS3 a second chance. If they get over their hubris and cut the prices.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2007, 10:34 »

Supreme Commander drops in Feb out this way.  RTS game of the year.

That game does look pretty great, but I'm not really willing to go through a massive PC revamp just for that and Spore. Plus, apparently they had to remove some of the features that they were talking about initially (the example that comes to mind is being able to create a devastating tsunami by detonating a nuke in the ocean) because of time and technology limitations.

And SG, have you seen the 360's lineup for this year? I think it looks pretty fucking solid.

Lair, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword are the only PS3 exclusive games I have any expectations for.

thepugs

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2007, 10:48 »

Portal looks moderately intriguing, but I probably won't shell out cash for it.

Also, from the Hellgate: London website,
"Holy crap! Our game is coming out tomorrow! ZOH MY GOD!" ... Is exactly what we'd be saying if tomorrow were Summer 2007 and we actually said things like ZOH MY GOD."

Yes.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2007, 10:55 »

I'll buy Portal, mostly because I didn't play Half-Life 2 in the first place, and it's like 5 games in one.

thepugs

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2007, 11:29 »

For anyone who currently has UT2004, there is a beta version of a Portal gun available on the Atari forums.  It is totally kickass.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2007, 11:51 »

To be honest, I'm not as optimistic about Bioshock as a lot of people seem to be, but I'm predicting it will be a damn good game, that will meet with great critical acclaim, but be seriously hindered by the fact that it's nowhere near as groundbreaking as the creator is claiming it will be.

I disagree!

I'm not sure what I'm excited for. As the Wii library builds I should find things to get interested in. MGS4 isn't happening this year.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2007, 11:55 »

I could post a list of 15 or so games that I'm buying this year, but instead, I'll just tell you guys I got accepted into the Halo 3 beta and laugh.  Because I did.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2007, 12:13 »

So you get to be disappointed before the rest of us! I ENVY you. I predict that, while Crackdown is going to earn sales just because it's Crackdown, a percentage of sales are going to be eaten up by Halo fanboys that are willing to shell out any amount of money for buggy gameplay.

Speaking of Crackdown: prediction? Meh. Looks like The Incredible Hulk meets RoboCop meets GTA. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel the hype is unjustified. Don't get me wrong, I'll be first in line to rent it, and I expect a decent game, but I don't expect a GREAT game.

I think VALVe will do good when the Episode 2 pack comes down. If they had bundled all the games separately (Ep.2, Portal, TF2), they could easily charge $30 for each, and get it. Instead, the entire pack is only $20. There's no doubt in my mind that Episode 2 will be just as lovely as #1, and Portal seems like a good bit of fun (especially once they incorporate the entire thing into GMod!). There is, however, something to be said about sequels, and TFC was about as classic a game could get. I'll be interested to see if TF2 catches me in the way the original did. I'm optimistic.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2007, 12:48 »

So you get to be disappointed before the rest of us! I ENVY you. I predict that, while Crackdown is going to earn sales just because it's Crackdown, a percentage of sales are going to be eaten up by Halo fanboys that are willing to shell out any amount of money for buggy gameplay.

Speaking of Crackdown: prediction? Meh. Looks like The Incredible Hulk meets RoboCop meets GTA. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel the hype is unjustified. Don't get me wrong, I'll be first in line to rent it, and I expect a decent game, but I don't expect a GREAT game.

I think VALVe will do good when the Episode 2 pack comes down. If they had bundled all the games separately (Ep.2, Portal, TF2), they could easily charge $30 for each, and get it. Instead, the entire pack is only $20. There's no doubt in my mind that Episode 2 will be just as lovely as #1, and Portal seems like a good bit of fun (especially once they incorporate the entire thing into GMod!). There is, however, something to be said about sequels, and TFC was about as classic a game could get. I'll be interested to see if TF2 catches me in the way the original did. I'm optimistic.
I got in for free...and I fully expect buggy gameplay, I signed up to actually beta test, and not just get to play it before everyone else.  I'm a bigger fan of other games, but being able to make it into a beta where perhaps .05% of the Halo 1 and 2 players get in is something to brag about.  Plus, I'm trying to get a job at a game testing company near my place, and having that on my resume is going to look good.

I might as well say what I want this year, now.  I'm looking forward to Bioshock, Mass Effect, Rogue Galaxy, the 360 Half-Life 2 package, Haze, Blue Dragon, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Overlord, UT2007, Shadowrun, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Edgy about: Two Worlds, Too Human, Assassin's Creed.  Probably some others that I'm missing.  And obviously, Halo 3.  But I'm not shilling out 100$US for a helmet that I can't wear.

Out of curiosity, have you read any of the novels?  It gives you more story to work with as opposed to most shooters, and going back and playing Halo: CE again, I actually enjoyed it more.  The games aren't perfect, but the multiplayer is quite addicting (I know it isn't CS), and having that added bonus of a decent story (providing you've read any of the books) makes it worthwhile, in my opinion. 

all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2007, 20:56 »

My post was half joking. See my post in the 'what do you look forward to in 2007??' thread.

8ilbo

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2007, 02:09 »

Everyone will realise that Crysis is in fact pretty rubbish graphically speaking. See VG Cats current comic for ONE example of what I'm talking about.

the_tard

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2007, 10:33 »

Lol. I would rely more on actual screenshots andtrailers instead of a comic with kitties getting blinded but hey thats just me. I am a graphics whore. I also play oblivion. Thats next-gen graphics/physics and it looks great...

ackblom12

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2007, 11:09 »

I think how great Oblivion looks depends on what section your talking about. Outdoors, looks fine, if you can ignore the shitty ass draw distance and nasty ass textures, unless you have a much nicer computer than I do. Faces also look absolutely horrible. Monsters looked damn nice though.

Besides, every time I rely on screenshots to determine how a game will look I always assume I'll have to turn it down a lot compared to what it's being shown as.

I've become very bitter and cynical about the PC gaming industry.  :-P

8ilbo

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2007, 13:32 »

Lol. I would rely more on actual screenshots andtrailers instead of a comic with kitties getting blinded but hey thats just me. I am a graphics whore. I also play oblivion. Thats next-gen graphics/physics and it looks great...

of course I look at the screenshots  :roll:

for instance - this one has a really bad ground texture

can't find many more screenshots at the mo, but yeah

I also predict that Desert Combat will make a huge comback and wipe 2142 off the shelves....I wish  :-(

kokeyjoe

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2007, 17:04 »

How sad is it that -- only about 2.5 months after the release of Guitar Hero II -- I can predict that Guitar Hero III will come out later this year and give me a gigantic raging hard-on of doom?  Check back with my pants around November for confirmation.

Locke

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2007, 21:41 »

I predict that the Xbox 360 will have a great burst of killer titles sustained until Halo 3.  That won't help them as much as they think it will, however, with several titles garnering critical acclaim but poor sales.  The system's sales will slow through the summer and then speed up full force toward Halo 3.  If MGS4 is released it will be the disappointment of the year, with a killer storyline and middling gameplay.  The Wii will continue to sell like gangbusters, despite having a dearth of quality single-player titles.  Wii Sports and Zelda will be enough to justify it for many.  By the end of the year, the true future of the Wii will be apparent, as developers have announced and started to ship second-generation Wii titles.  Sports games will become increasingly interesting on the Wii, breaking the general malaise of the gaming public as to the Maddens of the world.  The PlayStation 3 will start to pick up in sales, but will lag far behind the competition through the year.  System-selling software will be noticeably absent, as it takes an awful lot more quality to sell even a $500 machine.

Halo will sell more than anything before it, and will have multiplayer that is truly compelling, as opposed to idiot-filled.  Idiots will find themselves surprisingly killable.

Mass Effect will be the early favorite for Game of the Year and will probably steal Halo's thunder a full six months before the latter sees light of day.

DS will continue to print money.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:07 »

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:12 »

I'm looking forward to Halo 3

Fable 2 (possibly?)

And the three free expansions for City of Heroes planned for the year. :-D
Boredom Makes You Cool.

BillAdama

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:59 »

Right now the only games I'm really anticipating this year are Rogue Galaxy, Ar Tonelico, and Persona 3.

There are a handful of 360 RPGs I won't be able to play because I'm not getting one until the price comes down, mostly by Mistwalker and Tri-Ace.  (Also one called 'Eternal Sonata'.)  I'm sure there'll be some good DS platformers.

I'm getting bored with turn based RPGs.  The only ones that still interest me are the ones like Shin Megami Tensei that involve some kind of strategy beyond 'Use the strongest attack, heal occasionally'.

Final Fantasy XIII will probably be another style over substance faux-metaphysical emo-fest with a bunch of fake strategic choice and battles balanced way in your favor, because all the good people at Square left for Mistwalker.  And I'm not getting PS3 until either the price comes way down or 3rd party companies like Atlus start producing for it.

nihilist

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:43 »

STALKER will finally hit.

Duke Nukem Forever won't.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2007, 08:07 »

That reminds me.

The Earth will rotate. Humans will breathe oxygen. Light and sound will continue to travel in waves.

Locke

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:33 »

That reminds me.

The Earth will rotate. Humans will breathe oxygen. Light and sound will continue to travel in waves.

But light travels in waves AND particles.

And 3D Realms released a "Screenshot"

screenshot

the_tard

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:48 »

hey, that STALKER game looks sweet. Definitely going to get that.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2007, 16:56 »

Fun statistic!

Development on Duke Nukem Forever began in 1997.

The game has literally been in development for a decade.

nihilist

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jan 2007, 11:11 »

They have changed engines what, five times?

STALKER does look good.  It took longer than expected to develop, so the engine isn't brand-new and won't look like UT2k7/Crysis, but should still be pretty damn good.  Besides, if it has some sort of plot...  Win.

the_tard

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jan 2007, 15:58 »

enemy territory: quake wars. I am a big wolfenstein ET fan. This looks pretty cool, another battlefield sort of game. Not first on my list though, seeing as how I'm just getting over 2142.

nihilist

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jan 2007, 17:37 »

Getting over?  Damn.  We're just ramping up for CAL.

Locke

« Reply #33 on: 31 Jan 2007, 00:34 »

Fun statistic!

Development on Duke Nukem Forever began in 1997.

The game has literally been in development for a decade.

Starcraft was released in 1998.  There is not a sequel.  The tenth anniversary is January 2008.

I dunno guys, it might be time to zerg rush the Blizzard HQ.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2007, 07:41 »

My new prediction for 2007 is that Final Fantasy VI Advance will likely be the only NEW RPG I buy. Oh sure, I want to get Final Fantasy V Advance eventually, and maybe one of the Shadow Hearts games, but otherwise I can't think of a single game this year I'm looking forward to.

nihilist

« Reply #35 on: 31 Jan 2007, 11:43 »

Blizzard has dropped hints that they're doing stuff with Diablo and Starcraft.  I'm not too hopeful, given the massive cash cow they have in WoW.  They also talked about a non-MMO Warcraft.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 31 Jan 2007, 22:28 »

Rogue Galaxy, Mass Effect, and Fable 2 are all RPGs I'm looking forward to this year. And the Fire Emblem game for the Wii, but that's not really a RPG.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #37 on: 01 Feb 2007, 18:08 »

Fable was so goddamn disappointing, I'm not looking forward to #2 (although I'll probably end up buying it just to get the horns). Wouldn't grafting the Good/Evil engine over to Oblivion solve all our problems?

Crackdown comes out on the 20th. I still haven't gotten around to the demo, but I'm starting to feel the last-month hype-drive starting up. IGN is especially positive about the game.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 01 Feb 2007, 19:23 »

I actually didn't play the original, but the features in the new game sound pretty awesome.

And yeah, I've been hearing tons of good stuff about Crackdown too. Which is good because I hate how lame the action in GTA is, and I'm glad to see a game work a more visceral experience into the genre.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #39 on: 01 Feb 2007, 23:19 »

Starcraft was released in 1998.  There is not a sequel.  The tenth anniversary is January 2008.

PROTIP: Not everything needs to become a franchise.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 01 Feb 2007, 23:30 »

Blizzard has more or less confirmed another Starcraft game, but they won't say what type or when it's coming out. But that's completely different. There has not just been a 10-year gap in Duke Nukem games. They have literally spent 10 years making the ONE GAME. It doesn't even take Blizzard that long to make a game.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #41 on: 02 Feb 2007, 08:45 »

For what it's worth, Fable was one of the reasons I bought a Xbox. And not only did I ENJOY Fable, but I played it more than I did Jade Empire.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #42 on: 02 Feb 2007, 09:40 »

For all those wondering, Rogue Galaxy turned out really nice.  I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Vanilla Gorilla

« Reply #43 on: 02 Feb 2007, 09:53 »

Blizzard has more or less confirmed another Starcraft game, but they won't say what type or when it's coming out. But that's completely different. There has not just been a 10-year gap in Duke Nukem games. They have literally spent 10 years making the ONE GAME. It doesn't even take Blizzard that long to make a game.

are they still supposedly making another duke game?

the_tard

« Reply #44 on: 02 Feb 2007, 15:27 »

yep. Very slowly I presume. It had better be freakin incredible.

ackblom12

« Reply #45 on: 02 Feb 2007, 16:44 »

At this point, I'd be happy if it was an empty box with nothing but pictures of scantily clad 3D babes and Duke blowing something up.

And chewing bubble gum.

And a pack of gum.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 02 Feb 2007, 19:09 »

PROTIP: Not everything needs to become a franchise.

True. But Brood Wars set up a sequel already. I WANT CONCLUSION.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #47 on: 02 Feb 2007, 22:01 »

For all those wondering, Rogue Galaxy turned out really nice.  I've been having a lot of fun with it.

I picked it up today on break, I'm just about to fire it up for the first time.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #48 on: 02 Feb 2007, 22:12 »

Halo will sell more than anything before it, and will have multiplayer that is truly compelling, as opposed to idiot-filled.  Idiots will find themselves surprisingly killable.

I just read this. I would like to know how. Will Microsoft automatically set idiots' guns to fire backwards?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 02 Feb 2007, 23:03 »

Man. I just read that too.

I think he's saying that Halo will become the exact opposite of what Halo has been for the last two iterations.

If that's true, I will be happy!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up