THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I sew sometimes...  (Read 4030 times)

silverstar

• Plantmonster
  • Hooyah, Navy!
I sew sometimes...
« on: 03 Jan 2007, 01:11 »

Okies...um...I wanted to show off a Halloween costume I sewed. I'm pretty damn proud of it!

The only things I didn't make were the wings and the boots.

Anyone else sew stuff?

La
*insert witty comment here*

egiunte_lora

Re: I sew sometimes...
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2007, 04:03 »

To be honest, I don't sew (very much...mostly patches and repairs) but I have to say that is an excellent dress. Kinda have the Bitter Faerie thing going on there, I guess......anyway, it's very nice.

mqarcus

« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2007, 16:29 »

I like the dress, the boots too. I don't sew, I can barely do stuff like buttons and such things. Patches are a problem.

silverstar

• Plantmonster
  • Hooyah, Navy!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2007, 06:47 »

The dress is awesome!! I try to sew, but I find it SEW (haha) hard to follow patterns! Is there some trick to it? No mater how hard I try, they always turn out wrong, so now I just make up the shapes I think look right and I chuck it all together (once I even used staples  :cry: it was sad).

It takes a LOT of patience and practice. One thing I found that really helped was to get a bunch of crappy fabric and just practice sewing straight lines and stuff. Then, when you get to sewing things from patterns it makes it a lot easier.

The other thing about patterns is that you have to go by your measurements, and not by your dress size. My dress size in a store is about a (in women's) 6. However, my pattern size is 12-14. Also, women's patterns are made for people with small - to- no boobs...which is great if you're a B cup or less...but for those of us 'bustier' people...the patterns need to be altered to make them fit. Also, depending on how tall you are and how you're built, waistlines, hemlines, sleeves, etc will need to be made shorter or longer.

I hope that helped!

Lara
*insert witty comment here*

egiunte_lora

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2007, 08:52 »

(once I even used staples   it was sad).

Don't feel bad. I had a pair of convertible jeans in high school (you know, the ones that zip off into shorts?) that were absolutely perfect. When they got a hole in them, I knitted it together by applying twist ties...twist ties. Also, I have a suede leather jacket right now whose hole is being held together with half a dozen small safety pins.

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2007, 13:59 »

Wow, very professional looking!
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2007, 09:56 »

I struggled with sewing for ages (barely ever finished a project) until I said to hell with patterns and started designing my own stuff. Freeform is so much more fun:) Love the sleeves on your costume, lace is something I still can't get the hang of;)
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

shutupanddrive

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2007, 23:43 »

That dress is gorgeous, I am way jellis of your skillz.

I sew, I make clothes, diapers, pads, other little things. I've only been sewing with my own machine for a little less than a year now but I'm becoming pretty good at it and it's lots of fun. Soon I'm starting a business selling things I make.
Pages: [1]   Go Up