THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 07:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I love my GIMP  (Read 4716 times)

nuisance

I love my GIMP
« on: 07 Oct 2006, 23:31 »

Hey, so I've been larking about with GIMP for a few years now, manipulating photos, and generally find it absolutely awesome.  Occasionally it goes splat and makes me angry, but for the most part it's just so rammed with features and completely free that I can't complain about it.

Does anyone else use GIMP?  What do you think of it?

Also, what are the benefits of paying for an app like Photoshop instead of this?  (Let's assume I don't want an illegal crack of it for whatever reason)

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
Re: I love my GIMP
« Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2006, 00:11 »

I use GIMP.  I'm quite happy with it.  From what I hear, PhotoShop and PaintShop are somewhat easier to use and have more tools, but when you take into account the fact that both cost a few hundred bucks (I think, if I'm wrong, correct me), it more or less balances out.
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

SensoryOssuary

« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2006, 09:49 »

It's good software, but I'd much rather "buy" Photoshop.

brion

« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2006, 19:59 »

It all depends on what you need, and what you're used to. Unless you're doing pre-press work and need to produce multi-layered Photoshop files for your job, you probably don't *need* Photoshop. I've never bothered to cross-upgrade my old Photoshop 5.5 for Windows at home since I moved to Macs three years ago; Gimp does what I need just fine (a little photo touch-up, rearranging screen shots, converting and tweaking graphics for the web).

If you have to work with Photoshop files that you get from someone else or ship off to someone else, it's nice to be compatible. Gimp will read many but not all .psd files, but as I recall can't write them.

Photoshop's text tool is still much much better, and the adjustment layers are pretty cute, but again it all depends on what you're doing. Gimp's very full-featured if you don't need the fancy CMYK color-matching stuff, so if you don't think you're missing something, you're probably not.

Of course, some people also can't stand Gimp's interface; if you're used to Photoshop and don't want to play the learning curve, shelling some bucks to Adobe might be worth it to you. If you're used to Gimp and like it, that's not going to be an issue for you.

Grawsith

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2006, 03:46 »

I use GIMP all the time, for photoshopping myself out of bad photos, and other general touch-ups. I tried free trials of the "real" programs (paint shop pro, photoshop etc) but the GIMP is free and easy.

Although it did take me half an hour to figure out the damn cloner.

egiunte_lora

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2007, 00:25 »

Another person that rages against the corporate machine, hrm?

My friend introduced me to GIMP this summer. If only I would have found out about it three years ago, it would have come in so handily....oh well. I'm still playing w/ all of its features and tools, but its basic operations are enough to do what I want it to.

Mainly I use it to refine and color artwork that I draw, and it comes out looking pretty sweet. The last time I used Photoshop, it was just a colossal pain in the ass. I find GIMP to be much more helpful.

So I guess I would say Hoo-rah, GIMP? I dunno. I'm leaving now.

Spinless

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2007, 11:43 »

After using GIMP a few times, I just feel like it's a poor man's photoshop. Literally.
Now, how many people on these forums who use photoshop actually paid for it?

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2007, 15:14 »

I certainly didn't pay for my copy of photoshop, or illustrator for that matter.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2007, 07:05 »

You can pay for photoshop?

magnanimusman

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2007, 08:38 »

if you are a student and want a non-bootleg version of either photoshop or illustrator look at academicsuperstore.com.  I needed an offical version of illustrator and got it for under $100 american.

Silly Bobs new groove

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2007, 13:28 »

I used to use GIMP, but then I upgraded my computer, so I could use the copy of photoshop that I'd had for months now, GIMP was really good, and yes it kinda went nutter on me every once in a while, it's a really good program if you can't afford photoshop.

Mnementh

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2007, 00:04 »

Any graphics or photography professional will laugh in your face if you suggest the GIMP is as good as Photoshop.  It's for good reason that PS is one of the most requested ports to linux out there.

But if you're just an average person resizing and retouching things, eh, why not use GIMP.

I use Photoshop.

Scytale

« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar 2007, 05:05 »

Ive never used Photoshop but Gimp is very good for my needs anyway.

Inkscape is hell sweet too I dunno how many people use it but I've been messing around in it a bit lately. With tools like Inkscape NVU and GIMP, Linux seems to be really taking off for web-based publishing, which is pretty sweet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up