THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 08:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Romantic-ish, Valentine's Day-ish films  (Read 24159 times)

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Romantic-ish, Valentine's Day-ish films
« on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:00 »

I don't like going anywhere or doing anything for valentines day, but a good 'sit at home movie date' would be acceptable.  I didn't want to entitle this a "recommend me..." thread, but basically recommend me some good non-cheesy and non-played out films.  We're talkin quality stuff here, any suggestions?  Something along the lines of Amelie, I guess.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
Re: Romantic-ish, Valentine's Day-ish films
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:19 »

I have no clue if there is such a thing as a none cheesy Valentine day-ish film.... But I would like to see what everyone else comes up with.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2007, 10:09 »

Punch Drunk Love and Lost In Translation.  I'm still waiting to find a girl that will hang out with me and watch these movies...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2007, 10:57 »

try Garden State

oh, and isn't there a Valentines horror movie?

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2007, 12:13 »

uh.....

one film.

beats all.

SAY ANYTHING.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

mer

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2007, 14:27 »

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, and I really want to say Love Actually even though it is really cliche

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2007, 16:25 »

Yeah, Eternal Sunshine is pretty good for mooshy vibes but not being too lame.  If anything it's kinda ambiguous in tone, but still nice.  My only warning, while I think it is straightforward, it's definitely not as straightforward as Amelie.

I'd second Punch Drunk Love too, but mainly because both these movies have Jon Brion soundtracks... Punch Drunk Love was pretty cold and distant, I thought... but maybe I thought too much.  I think I left the theatre after Eternal Sunshine feeling more like cuddling.

Edit: just realised I recommended a Jim Carey movie and an Adam Sandler movie!  You probably know the movies and, even if you haven't seen them, know that neither are really comedies, definitely not involving slapstick or poo jokes or anything, anyway.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2007, 16:29 by fish across face »

Mnementh

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2007, 17:05 »

SAY ANYTHING.

Damn straight!  Oh, and Titus Andronicus.  Seriously!

(Okay, try the recent movie version of A Midsummer Nights Dream (the one with Stanley Tucci) and the 1993 version of Much Ado About Nothing.)
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2007, 17:07 by Daniel »

kokeyjoe

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2007, 18:41 »

This one's a little schmaltzy, but I still unabashedly love it anyway, "What Dreams May Come."  As I've aged a bit since it came out, I get a little skeptical of Robin Williams' over-acting in the film, as well as some of the just plain odd dialogue at times, but the visuals are amazing, the story is full of emotion, and the soundtrack to this day can still make me cry like I've got a skinned knee.

It's hard for me to think of any more while I'm at work, but I'll post again if I see anything when I get home.

Edit:  I'm not sure if I'd recommend this for Valentine's Day, but "Solaris" was an oddly endearing sci-fi romance film.  I really liked that one a lot and it left me with an incredible sense of longing.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2007, 18:48 by kokeyjoe »

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2007, 00:46 »

uh.....

one film.

beats all.

SAY ANYTHING.

Tru dat!
You're safe with pretty much -any- John Cusack movie. That man is wonderful. Chocolat would maybe also be a good one...I don't rather remember, as I was more interested in staring at Johnny Depp then worrying about the story line :cough:

Anyway, here's a list done by VH1 (You know you can trust them, they are like...the GODS of lists): http://www.vh1.com/movies/news/articles/1496646/feature.jhtml

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:16 »

Damn straight!  Oh, and Titus Andronicus.  Seriously!

I love that adaptation.

Serendipity is pretty good. And yeah, while cliche, Love Actually is a fantastic flick.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

louize 5

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:22 »

Best date I ever had we watch "Undead" - one of the best zombie movies ever.
But if you must have the romantic stuff, I'd go for Richard Linkwaters "Before Surise" or that Corean movie "Bin-jip".

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:56 »

Edit:  I'm not sure if I'd recommend this for Valentine's Day, but "Solaris" was an oddly endearing sci-fi romance film.  I really liked that one a lot and it left me with an incredible sense of longing.
I haven't seen the American version but the Russian one has nothing very romantic about it...  I tried to watch another Tartovski movie with my girl once and she promptly fell asleep.  Another exciting New Year's Eve at my house.  :wink:

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:00 »

Annie Hall
When Harry Met Sally

louize 5

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:45 »

Annie Hall is a good one.
If you're going to watch a Woody Allen movie make sure it's not Every Thing You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask. It's just kind of awkward...

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2007, 08:08 »

Flower Of Flesh and Blood.
Hate, rain on me

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2007, 09:40 »

Awesome suggestions, I'll check out a couple on IMDB and see what's what.  Eternal Sunshine and Punch Drunk are good but we've both seen em seperatly.  Great suggestions for anyone else planning a similar valentines that hasn't seen them.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2007, 12:26 »

Pink Flamingos.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KaraFairie

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2007, 14:40 »

I agree with BK. Garden State. You could also watch Clerks II. That has romance with out the sappiness of other romance films.

Good luck with finding the right movie for your date :)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:40 »

Will, I'll watch Lost In Translation with you.

If you know what I'm saying.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
  • Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2007, 18:24 »

Garden State is my romantic movie of choice. I always tear up when Zach Braff talks about his mom wiping his nose when he was sick, and realizing that that is what love is. I have to cry at that part; it's so beautiful. Seriously, boys if you want to woo a girl watch that film with her. Zach Braff will melt her heart and you can reap the benefits.
Life is not a constant thing,
It's only made of short stories.

Will

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2007, 20:18 »

Shane, if I can get Tyler to agree, this could end up a really fun weekend  :wink:
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

kokeyjoe

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2007, 20:41 »

Also, upon further inspection of my own DVD collection, I think I can recommend the film Cold Mountain.  The gal and I enjoyed it.  Twice!

chupones

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • A mystery wrapped in an enigma stuck in suburbia.
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2007, 05:01 »

Time to go old-school and break out some of the classic films. Special consideration has been made as they are all films that most of my male buds will watch.

1. Casablanca
2. The Philadelphia Story
3. To Catch A Thief
4. From Here to Eternity
5. Breakfast at Tiffany's

I'd also heartily agree with the choices of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Before Sunrise (as well as Before Sunset), Lost in Translation, Punch-Drunk Love and Say Anything.

However, I would also make the following recommendations of modern films not mentioned (in no particular order):
Pride and Prejudice
High Fidelity
Out of Sight
Three Colours: Red
Amelie
In the Mood for Love
Rushmore
Shall We Dance?
Groundhog Day
The Tao of Steve
I may not be a Flintstone, but I'll certainly make your bed rock. - Phil Ken Sebben

The extra letter

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2007, 05:11 »

On Monday, I am *so* buying High Fidelity.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2007, 09:39 »

I was going to mention that one (High Fidelity), but I don't think I'd recommend it necessarily as a "romantic-ish" film for Valentine's Day to someone I don't know.  I mean, I think it's a good love story, all in all, but a lot of people might not like what you have to go through in the movie to get to that point.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2007, 10:32 »

I see what you mean about HF, but I do think it's a very realistic love story, and all the shit he has to go through internally makes the whole movie. 
Anyways, I think I've personally decided on Annie Hall, but all the other suggestions make great sit-at-home-date-movies for non-Valentine's Day occasions!  Thanks!  I hadn't thought of a few of these ones.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2007, 12:39 »

Cruel Intentions. Got borderine happy, romantic ending coupled with being the sexiest move I've ever seen despite no explicit sex scenes, so it'll serve a duel purpose.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Locke

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jan 2007, 14:31 »

I second the suggestions of Clerks 2 and High Fidelity.

High Fidelity is really the best work of John Cusack I think.  So much so that Nick Hornby (author of the book) made the request that Cusack play the lead in every film adaptation of his books, despite them all being set in England and Cusack being decidedly American.

Its got the performance that really made Jack Black into a star, after his scene-stealing turn as Barry (although some of the jokes don't work as well now that he's actually famous.)  Tim Robbins as Ian/Ray, also brilliant here.  (see:  the reaction sequence, "YOU PATHETIC REBOUND FUCK!")

Clerks 2 is wonderfully vulgar, but still romantic and it has a freaking DONKEY SHOW.  Talk about a Win-Win.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jan 2007, 16:29 »

Shaun of the Dead?
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Mr u Suk

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jan 2007, 16:59 »

i would have to second Casablanca, its an absolutly amazing Romantic movie filled with many good moment and some quotes that you have prolly heard somewhere (Heres Looking At You Kid)

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #31 on: 27 Jan 2007, 23:37 »

Shaun of the Dead?

Very romantic movie.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

KaraFairie

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jan 2007, 01:14 »

The King and I, if you're a fan of that whole musical scene... Sorry. But I love musicals. I watched The Phantom of the Opera last night and wanted to kill the bad singing, but hey. Its a love story.

Moo Cakes

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jan 2007, 07:10 »

The Phantom of the Opera has bad singing in it? I mean, in the movie version I can admit that the Phantom's voice surprised me a tad, but all of those people are excellent singers and the songs are wonderful.

But back on topic.

I love watching romantic comedies because I'm a masochist.

Some really good ones have already been listed (Say Anything, When Harry Met Sally, Serendipity). Sleepless in Seattle is a classic. A lot of John Cusack movies. There's one that came out recently... Tristan and Isolde. It's a tragic love story, and it's also got a lot of fighting and gore if you're into that kind of thing.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jan 2007, 11:37 »

lost in translation is so good it shocks me. see it! i too haven't managed to get any gf/friend who's a girl to watch it but i always sputter and say, "but...but you don't know what you're missing."
it doesn't work.
but you should see it. and if you have already, see it again.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #35 on: 28 Jan 2007, 12:18 »

but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jan 2007, 15:19 »

I'm going out on a limb here and bringing animated romance into consideration.  And I'm starting by going even farther out on that limb and recommending Japanese animation.  Namely, the films of the one and only Miyazaki.

Last night, we rented Howl's Moving Castle, and I absolutely loved it.  The girlfriend and I both agreed we hadn't had that much fun watching a movie together in quite a while.  Might not be great for Valentine's day, but worth a watch.

Also, Princess Mononoke is fantastic for one of those all-encompassing kinds of movies.  Wild mysticism, adventure, action, and of course, romance.

Both flicks are just great, in my mind.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #37 on: 28 Jan 2007, 20:30 »

lost in translation is so good it shocks me. see it! i too haven't managed to get any gf/friend who's a girl to watch it but i always sputter and say, "but...but you don't know what you're missing."
it doesn't work.
but you should see it. and if you have already, see it again.

haha, actually, my last girlfriend and I totally watched it together and neither of us cared for it.  It was a real bonding experience, escpecially when we had to fend everyone off everytime we mentioned we didn't think it was all that great.

I'm not trying to slam your taste in the movie, I just thought it was a good anecdote.

Will

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:19 »

Along with what Austin said, I once watched "Spirited Away" with a girl I was dating at the time.  It was splendid, both the movie, and the accompanying makeouts and cuddles that took place during...

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jan 2007, 10:17 »

Would "There's Something About Mary" be a good one?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

kokeyjoe

« Reply #40 on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:22 »

I think "The War of the Roses" or "The Break-up" would be fantastic movies for Valentine's Day.

Or, if you're me, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."  I've watched that movie with two different girls I've dated, and have subsuquently found the relationships ended within a month of watching it.  That's good karma right there.

_cG

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:33 »

Or, if you're me, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."  I've watched that movie with two different girls I've dated, and have subsuquently found the relationships ended within a month of watching it.  That's good karma right there.

Absolutely a perfect movie for Valetine's Day.

Also the perfect movie for Christmas, or Hanukkah, or Ramadan, or Halloween (ESPECIALLY Halloween), or St. Patrick's Day...
All around the perfect movie for any holiday.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2007, 11:35 by _cG »

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jan 2007, 04:52 »

Anal cunt.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #43 on: 07 Feb 2007, 10:13 »

Side note, Science of Sleep just came out yesterday.  Another good movie.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #44 on: 07 Feb 2007, 17:02 »

i think you should watch this, this, this, or this. nothing says i love you like these.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

rasufelle

« Reply #45 on: 10 Feb 2007, 19:31 »

Singin' in the Rain- a classic, sweet lovey dovey movie.  I watch this once a month RELIGIOUSLY.

Pride and Prejudice- You can't go wrong with Jane Austen, and besides, Darcy is hot.

Must Love Dogs- Really sweet and charming, with puppies added!

The Englishman who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain- maybe a weird choice, but it's Hugh Grant, and gives a warm feeling to me every time I see it.

The Nightmare before Christmas- Jack and Sally: the ultimate undead/ animated couple, and perfect year round.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #46 on: 10 Feb 2007, 21:59 »

i think you should watch this, this, this, or this. nothing says i love you like these.

Marry me.

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
  • Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
« Reply #47 on: 11 Feb 2007, 16:51 »

rasufelle:
I hope you are referring to the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice. Colin Firth plays smouldering intensity like no one else. Any boy willing to sit through hours of Jane Austen and Colin Firth being intense is sure to get some from me.
Life is not a constant thing,
It's only made of short stories.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 11 Feb 2007, 18:21 »

Marry me.

ok.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #49 on: 11 Feb 2007, 18:45 »

<3
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up