THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 19:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mulholland Drive... anyone?  (Read 3457 times)

Stayc

• Plantmonster
Mulholland Drive... anyone?
« on: 26 Feb 2007, 22:04 »

David Lynch's psychological thriller.

Has anyone seen this movie or heard about it?

I watched it and I thought I understood it.  Then I felt as if I was on acid.  It was as if the movie went from odd to a mind-fucked version of Donnie Darko:  full of role reversals, hidden symbols, and paradoxes.

I just... I don't know... I got a mindfull when I saw this movie.  And I wanted to discuss.  So let's?
You gotta walk before you crawl... reverse that.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: Mulholland Drive... anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2007, 23:03 »

I really like Mulholland Drive, but I seriously genuinely for the life of me cannot understand why everyone says it's so mysterious and confusing. To me, it couldn't be clearer that the first half of the film is a dream, and the second half is reality. I know this isn't an original or unique interpretation, but I do think that people only claim that the film is any more enigmatic than that because it's a David Lynch film, and you're, you know, not supposed to understand David Lynch films. I read an article in the Guardian (online) in which they got various critics to give their interpretations of the film, and one of them dismissed the dream theory on the basis that it was "too simple". What a crock - as if the only art that is valid is art that we can't understand! To me, the film was infinitely more powerful and moving because I could get my head around it.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2007, 23:50 »

i prefer older david lynch stuff, but mulholland drive is at least partially responsible for establishing the fact that justin theroux is the coolest guy in the world.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Stayc

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2007, 04:15 »

When the blue box dropped, and a whole different setting full of similar yet different characters came in- I swore that I was tripping on acid.  I got severely thrown off.  Perhaps I was too overwhelmed that I didn't understand that made me lose the movie.  Honestly, I for the life of me could not figure it out!

I am still lost to this day, but I enjoyed the film no less.
You gotta walk before you crawl... reverse that.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2007, 08:45 »

I am supposedly one of the few denizens of the net who hates David Lynch and this godawful movie. It even ruined the thought of naomi watts masturbating vigorously for me.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

BillAdama

« Reply #5 on: 01 Mar 2007, 21:22 »

I don't think the first half can be described as a dream so much as symbolic.

I saw the point of the movie was the machinism of Hollywood.  The main character what's her name got famous and her girlfriend didn't mostly due to the Joni Mitchell coined 'star making machinery', and she left her behind and abandoned her.  Then at the end she came back.

Though, I heard Mulholland Drive was originally written as the pilot to a series, which was turned down.

On a related note, I want to know what was going to happen in the third season of Twin Peaks!!!  NOW!  (No way Audrey Horn is dead!)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2007, 05:21 »

Mulholland Drive is definitive proof for any who somehow still needed it that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences is completely cretinous. Who the hell was it who won Best Actress that year? I know one thing for sure, and that's that it wasn't Naomi Watts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up