THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some stuff from my portfolio  (Read 4687 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Some stuff from my portfolio
« on: 28 Jan 2007, 07:40 »

I've just been assembling my portfolio, and whilst I was at it I took some snaps of some of the stuff that was going in. These aren't very high quality shots, because a) it's quite hard to take completely flat, non-jerky photos of things by hand b) Some of these things are A1 and have now effectively been reduced twice (once by camera, once to get 'em small enough to post here). This also isn't quite everything that will be going in my portfolio: There are a couple of life drawings and a worsksheet I left in Bournemouth, plus one drawing (a self portrait in charcoal executed on four pieces of A1 paper taped together) that is just too damn big to unfurl and photograph. Plus, of course, I have three sketchbooks, with about 250 A4 pages of work, that will be going along as well, not to mention a 27 page graphic novel I'm still working on. The photos, prints and small paintings will also obviously be mounted on black paper. However, this gives at least some impression of what I'm about, artistically.

'Neon Adonais', Pose from life in coloured chalk and compressed charcoal, 1 hour

Pose from life in chalk and compressed charcoal, 30 minutes

Pose from life in coloured ink, 20 minutes

Composition study from life in willow charcoal, 30 minutes

4 poses from life in acrylic paint, 10 minutes each

8 Observation drawings, campus of the Arts Institute Bournemouth, mixed media

47 self-portraits from a passport photograph, mixed media (I'm kind of annoyed you can't really see the one that is composed entirely of words describing whats in that area of the drawing.)

Fashion project ideas worsksheet (I may do some more work to this, a little bare and sketchy)

Fashion project personal concepts worksheet, with fabric maquettes

(I'm on a foundation degree, which is why I did some fashion stuff)

Nightmare imagery worksheet for 'Timeframe' project

'Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, See No Evil' Manipulated digital photographs

4 linocut prints of Dave Tibet as a child, in an expressionist style
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2007, 07:45 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: Some stuff from my portfolio
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2007, 09:34 »

There's some pretty good stuff there. I especially like the Timeframe and the Self portrait pieces.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:52 »

Those first few remind me of a greek museum I once went to...
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2007, 09:37 »

I love your work. Very nice job. Which is your favorite medium to work in?

I could never master paint..and kind of paint...
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Ally

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2007, 10:06 »

You have a very unique sense of color, and a very defined personal style, which I really appreciate. I'd say your first piece is definitely your strongest, and I'd like to see more life drawings that have an hour of time (or more) put into them, if you have any. For nearly all of them, it looks like you've really nailed the light - where it falls and where it is absent.

So yeah, cool stuff.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2007, 11:32 »

Nicely done, sir.  I am especially fond of the first two; I like the colors, the shading, and all that other srt-stuff that goes along with creating an atmosphere.  It has a very dark ambiance to it, but not dark-for-the-sake-of-being-dark if that makes sense at all. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:47 »

I'd say your first piece is definitely your strongest, and I'd like to see more life drawings that have an hour of time (or more) put into them, if you have any.

I don't, unfortunately, though hopefully I may be able to get one done tonight. The amount of time I can spend on life drawings entirely depends on the length of poses our teacher decides to do. Unfortunately, our teacher hasn't cottoned on to the concept of dividing a simple hour pose in to three twenty minute poses with five minute breaks, so we very rarely do long poses, and the last time we tried it she had us handing round our paper to each other every ten minutes and working on each others drawings.

My favourite mediums are probably pen and ink (this would come off more if you saw my sketchbooks) and charcoal/chalk.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #7 on: 03 Feb 2007, 10:31 »

I'm with Ally on this one, I really like your first piece.

Also the 47 self-portraits and fashion project ideas worsksheet and especially the 4 linocut prints of Dave Tibet as a child.

FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 07 Feb 2007, 17:54 »

I'd say your first piece is definitely your strongest, and I'd like to see more life drawings that have an hour of time (or more) put into them, if you have any.

I don't, unfortunately, though hopefully I may be able to get one done tonight. The amount of time I can spend on life drawings entirely depends on the length of poses our teacher decides to do. Unfortunately, our teacher hasn't cottoned on to the concept of dividing a simple hour pose in to three twenty minute poses with five minute breaks, so we very rarely do long poses, and the last time we tried it she had us handing round our paper to each other every ten minutes and working on each others drawings.

wow. i've take life drawing two times now, and we've only done that once. it was interesting, but i think longer poses are much more helpful. typically they are one day poses (about 3 hours, including breaks), but we do sometimes 2 and every once in a while 3 day poses. maybe ask for a longer pose after class sometime. that last part though sounds really cool.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:
Pages: [1]   Go Up