THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: As if you needed another reason to hate them...  (Read 7423 times)

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

The RIAA has been successful in court rulings dictating internet radio pay royalties.

I know Gryff does a show that's streamed on the web, and I do too. How many other people are affected by this decision?
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2007, 13:20 by BrittanyMarie »
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
Re: As if you needed another reason to hate them...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2007, 14:03 »

i will have to kill someone if i have to start paying for last.fm is all i say
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2007, 14:15 »

Lets all move to Sweden.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2007, 14:24 »

I wonder how many of these 'royalty' payments will ever find their way to actual musicians. I'm guessing none.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2007, 14:47 »

It wouldn't surprise me if they managed to screw artists being played on these things out of royalties they were already getting.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Peter Harris

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2007, 15:34 »

Even the guy who wrote the DMCA hates the RIAA.

Link

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2007, 22:25 »

The RIAA is an American organisation correct? Thus, I assume this wouldn't affect other countries outside of the US?

Last.FM almost certainly make enough money to cover this fee from advertising and associated micropayments. The same will be true of Pandora and other similar streaming sites. As per usual, the people who are really hit by this are the amateurs and hobbyists, who now will have to pay at least $500 a year to broadcast over the internet. That's not a great deal of money I guess, maybe it won't make any difference. I suppose there's every chance that everyone will just ignore this in the same way people ignore most other RIAA regulations. I wonder how many of these 'royalty' payments will ever find their way to actual musicians. I'm guessing none.

Not necessarily.  This organization has tried to sue quite a few dead people, backcountry woodsmen, AND Swedes.  In Sweden no less.  I'm pretty sure they don't care that much about foreign internet radio, but since they pushed for it in America, odds are they'll push the organizations in other countries to do the same, or actually stake some outrageous claim to allow them to do so, or in the case of DVD Jon, try to arrest any and all violators should they visit our great nation. 

It's no wonder they call the terrible duo (MPAA included) the MAFIAA.  This is worse organized crime than anything any of the five big families have done. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2007, 23:02 »

A lawyer with a briefcase can steal more money in a day than a man with a gun can in a year.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2007, 01:58 »

The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that it's retroactive.  Webcasters will owe money on music they played in 2006, and that's bullshit.  They can't unplay the music, which means they are stuck owing however much they do according to these new rates.

Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2007, 06:33 »

Come and get me, you bastards!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2007, 06:51 »

Where do they get the power to do things like this (retroactively!?)?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2007, 07:05 »

This is worse organized crime than anything any of the five big families have done.

Well, let's not go crazy here!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2007, 07:12 »

Hi guys,

As I'm sure you all already know, I am very important to the continued existence of this forum. I know, I know, I lurked for a while, stopped coming for a while, and don't really wow anybody with my posts, but here I am now, and without me it will all fall apart. Given my level of importance to this network, I've decided to charge you royalties on every word that passes through my forum.
Sure, I don't actually maintain the servers, I didn't write the code to run the forums, and I certainly don't pay for the bandwidth or really do anything to help keep this place running. Sure, I might not be that important or relevant, or even have a lot to say when you guys get into the really cool discussions on music that I'm unfamiliar with. Nonetheless, you all owe me royalties that I will collect on behalf of Jeph, Mike's boss, and all the good quality posters you regularly enjoy.
For every word enjoyed, I will collect from readers $.00002, in whichever currency presently trades at the highest rate internationally. For every word posted in the music forum, I will collect 15.50 Dongs, or the equivalent in your regional currency. For every word posted in the general discussion forum, I will require 0.001 mL of virgin blood, or an equivalent amount in other satanic alchemicals, as traded on the NYSE. All other boards will be billed at half the rate of whichever other rate seems to be trading the highest on the given day.
Periods and spaces will cost half the price of a word, additional paragraphs or line breaks will cost four words each, BBcode is strictly not to be used without written consent from myself, and emoticons cost ten words.
These fees are all retroactive to your join date. In the event that you joined on the old, defunct forums, there will be a one time levy of 379 metric tons of alpaca fur, to be supplied proportionally by each forum member registered at that point.
I am glad we can settle this amiably and without trouble. Please note that if my fees are not immediately forthcoming and post dated any later than 3:00 tomorrow morning, all legal means of recourse will be taken.

Thanks,
James
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2007, 12:38 »

Best post ever.

I give up.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2007, 18:51 »

Nicely done, Slick. Two points! (or pints, whichever you prefer)
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

glwtta

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2007, 01:28 »

It's always nice to see things like this: http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2007/03/riaa-backs-down-after-receiving-letter.html

That letter is well worth reading - one tends to forget that lawyering can be used for good, as well as evil.

nole

« Reply #17 on: 03 Apr 2007, 02:03 »

I wonder who made some people believe that Sweden is some sort of safe haven for copyright piracy?
As a Swedish person and part of the group who initially started the pirate movement in Sweden I do
realize that my post might be take for propaganda, I'll hope to avoid that :)

First of all, the safe haven idea is very wrong the Pirate movement started after the U.S.A threatened
to cut Sweden out from W.T.O if they didn't act against www.piratebay.org one of the largest
torrent trackers in the world at that time, And well Sweden wasn't late to act on U.S.A and RIAA's
quest to world domination by issuing 50 cops to grab what they could from the ISP were TPB had it's
main ship.. err i mean servers.

Since then things have eased up abit cops have more important stuff to do and try to purse that
instead the local Swedish version of RIAA the APB (Anti pirate bureau) are requesting to have police
rights since the police are to busy to pursue the horrible crimes daily committed by the pirates.

Personaly I buy my records and movies (I can afford that and I like to think that i'm paying the artist
and not a multi million dollar company) my softwares are all released under GPL or BSD licenses
(depends on what time in my life I was atm) and I try to keep information free for everyone.

Bottom line is Sweden isn't a safe haven, for now it's quite cool but give them a few more months
and i'm quite sure that you will be able to see a drastic change (unless your local CNN reports it ;) )

Just my $0.02
Nole. Swedish resident, software developer and self proclaimed human rights activist  :-D

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #18 on: 05 Apr 2007, 15:08 »

A lawyer with a briefcase can steal more money in a day than a man with a gun can in a year.

So, if a man with a gun visits two lawyers per day ... ?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #19 on: 05 Apr 2007, 22:33 »

what's really nice is when they go after unaffiliated artists with their own private labels who podcast their own music.

fuckers.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #20 on: 06 Apr 2007, 14:00 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up