THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Thermals  (Read 9138 times)

grrraham

The Thermals
« on: 25 Feb 2007, 22:12 »

The Thermals: best punk band? or best punk band past present and future?

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
Re: The Thermals
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2007, 22:17 »

No.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Freezey

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2007, 22:18 »

Nah. They're fun, but I wouldn't rank them that highly.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2007, 00:50 »

I approve of this thread. Not because I agree with it, but because of the gall. The sheer gall.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2007, 06:07 »

Buh?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2007, 11:07 »

I thought the dinosaurs have all died out.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

BillAdama

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2007, 18:49 »

The Thermals I might call the best *current* punk band, but all time?  Not remotely.

I'm seeing them on the 3rd.   :-D

chamberk

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2007, 12:24 »

THey're pretty fucking rad.

asyluman

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2007, 12:37 »

I quite enjoy them.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2007, 12:47 »

I've hear their newest album and liked it a fair amount. They're not amazing but they're very enjoyable and a lot of fun to listen to. I'm seeing them on the 6th in Philly and I've heard all sorts of good things about thier live show - lots of energy and such - so it should be a fun experience even if it isn't an amazing musical one.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2007, 13:03 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

grrraham

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2007, 23:25 »

Yes. I am totally 100% serious about this.
The Thermals are the best punk band of all time.
Every other punk band just sucks more than they do. I'll prove it categorically.
Every punk band which isn't The Thermals falls into one of these categories.

1. Classic Punk Bands Which Didn't Really Play Punk Rock
These were all the bands in the 70's which founded "punk". All the bands which made CBGB (good riddance) famous. Such bands include: The Velvet Underground, Blondie, The Talking Heads, The Clash, Television, Siousxie and the Banshees, etc. Most of the output by all of these bands' cannot be called punk by any right minded person.
2. Classic Punk Bands Which Actually Always Just Sucked
This is straightforward enough, I think. See The Sex Pistols, GG Allin,, The Germs, almost every 80's hardcore band.
3. Classic Punk Bands Which Had Some Great Output But Then Ruined Their Legacy With Years of Shittiness
This category basically exists so I can shake my finger at TheRamones. Just because everyone else ignores everything you did after the 70's doesn't make it okay. Other notables: The Dead Kennedys, The Misfits (and it's not like Danzig's solo stuff was any better),
4. Almost every 80's hardcore band
Shittiest decade for almost everything really.

That pretty much covers the gamut of old punk bands, and I don't think I really need to go over most modern punk bands, not because they're necessarily any worse, but because everyone knows, deep down, that most of them suck anyway. Really, I would have categories like:
5. Ska-Punk Bands
Ranging from Leftover Crack and Operation Ivy, to Less than Jake and Goldfinger. Come on. Seriously.
6. Radio Friendly Pop-Punk? Bands
Green Day, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, blah blah etc
7. Warped Tour!
Warped Tour has all the bands that are too hardcore for mainstream radio! Like Rancid, Bad Religion, NOFX, Pennywise, and Tsunami Bomb. ... Actually, I went to a Warped Tour once and Andrew W.K. played and he was fucking sweet.
8. Political Punk
Propagandhi and Anti-Flag were awesome seven years ago. Yknow. When I was twelve.
9. Shane McGowan Tribute Bands
Flogging Molly, The Real MacKenzies, The Dropkick Murphys.

Whatever, there's lots of other kinds of bands which suck. We don't need to talk about them.

These are bands which I will seriously consider as viable competitors: Cock Sparrer, Against Me!, Jets to Brazil, and Henry Rollins, and Rollins only because he could kill me with his hands

I think that this should serve to convince any right thinking person that The Thermals are the best punk band ever.

another possible competitor: this bike is a pipebomb
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2007, 23:42 by grrraham »

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #11 on: 01 Mar 2007, 02:55 »

The presentation of your argument has a bit too much cock. I mean I like cock, but not when it's slapping my face and ejaculating in my eyes.

grrraham

« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar 2007, 05:42 »

Lets be honest, that whole argument is little more than a thin excuse to wave my cock around.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 01 Mar 2007, 06:12 »

Wait, The Clash suck?

...*shuffles through his list of favorite records*

Buh um...I have London Calling at #1.

At least you didn't take the piss out of Cock Sparrer. I would've had to cook your eyeballs and fed them to stray dogs.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

grrraham

« Reply #14 on: 01 Mar 2007, 06:19 »

The Clash sucked at being a punk band.
They were too busy trying to play reggae and whatever else most of the time.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2007, 06:24 »

I have no problem with you being cynical of basically everything that was good way back when, but you can't honestly put The Thermals above all those guys.  The Thermals are copying those bands' sounds!

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 01 Mar 2007, 07:26 »

I notice Fugazi was rather absent from that list, as was every other Dischord band I could care to think of.  Also, Gang Of Four, Bikini Kill, H?sker D?, Mission Of Burma, and Be Your Own Pet.

And when was it that The Velvet Underground played CBGB?  As far as I can tell they split up a few years before it opened, unless you want to count the Squeeze era band, who were missing all of the important members, and as far as I know, they never played CBGB anyway.

I suppose what I'm saying is you're wrong.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 01 Mar 2007, 08:24 »

Somebody wasn't listening to the self-titled, nor were they listening to Give 'Em Enough Rope.

grrraham

« Reply #18 on: 01 Mar 2007, 14:57 »

I notice Fugazi was rather absent from that list, as was every other Dischord band I could care to think of.  Also, Gang Of Four, Bikini Kill, H?sker D?, Mission Of Burma, and Be Your Own Pet.

And when was it that The Velvet Underground played CBGB?  As far as I can tell they split up a few years before it opened, unless you want to count the Squeeze era band, who were missing all of the important members, and as far as I know, they never played CBGB anyway.
Mission of Burma and Gang of Four were both pretty undeniably post-punk bands.
Fugazi was an 80's hardcore band. ... Y'know, the reason I created these neat categories was so that I wouldn't have to list absolutely every band. When you get down to it, Husker Du basically was too.
Im going to be honest, I don't really know Bikini Kill, I've never gotten around to getting into riot grrrl. Maybe Bikini Kill is the best punk band in the world.
The Velvet Underground are in the "Classic Punk Bands Which Didn't Really Play Punk Rock" category because they get cited a lot when people try to talk about the origins of punk. You're arguing the semantics of how I described that category, but if you're not actually arguing that they really are a punk band I won't bother pointing out the four other albums they recorded (aside form WHWL).

Somebody wasn't listening to the self-titled, nor were they listening to Give 'Em Enough Rope.
Would you call The Liars a dance-punk band? Probably not. Because their first album was definitely a dance-punk album. But then they had those other two albums. Which really just ... weren't.
Let's compare this to the Clash. s/t and give em enough rope: punk! The next four albums: less and less so.

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2007, 16:26 »

Fugazi was an 80's hardcore band. ... Y'know, the reason I created these neat categories was so that I wouldn't have to list absolutely every band. When you get down to it, Husker Du basically was too.

Minor Threat was an 80's hardcore band.  Fugazi was not.  And only Husker Du's first one or two albums could really be called "hardcore".

And for the record, The Thermals are good, but they ain't got shit on Stiff Little Fingers.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #20 on: 01 Mar 2007, 17:00 »

guys we all know the Alan Parsons Project is the best punk band of all time
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #21 on: 01 Mar 2007, 17:12 »

Well i know for a fact that NoMeansNo is the 2nd greatest punk band of all time superseded only by the hanson brothers

at 3rd place i would place the living end

at 4th place i put Die! Die! Die!

at 5th place i put the Hellacopters

i then move everything up 1 because hanson brothers was really a joke,...although you should listen to them so far thermals havn't registed in the top 5

new 5th place is be your own pet
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

grrraham

« Reply #22 on: 01 Mar 2007, 17:36 »

Stiff Little Fingers slipped into the "Classic Punk Bands Which Had Some Great Output But Then Ruined Their Legacy With Years of Shittiness" category when they reformed, did a reunion tour and started recording again. Have you heard any of their recent albums? Actually, I kind of like Tinderbox. But that still doesn't redeem them.

I love be your own PET. Their self titled was my second favourite album last year (after the body the blood the machine naturally). But I cannot think of them as an actually punk band. Between their music itself, and just everything about them, they just come off more like general scenester whatevers than a punk band. This of course delves into the dangerous territory of what is and isnt TRUE PUNX which can only end up being retarded.

I've gotta admit that i've never heard of the living end, and never liked what i've heard of the hellacopters enough to get into them.

I saw NoMeansNo in January at Richards on Richards and they were pretty awesome for a bunch of fifty-somethings. I think though, as far as classic Vancouver punk legends go it's got to be Pointed Sticks > NoMeansNo  > DOA.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #23 on: 01 Mar 2007, 18:14 »

I'm reading your words, and all I'm seeing is

I

but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #24 on: 01 Mar 2007, 19:53 »

Drive Like Jehu: undeniably superior to The Thermals in every way.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=35399348

grrraham

« Reply #25 on: 01 Mar 2007, 23:23 »

You know what? you guys are all right, the thermals suck.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #26 on: 01 Mar 2007, 23:28 »

James Brown was the biggest punk of all time.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #27 on: 01 Mar 2007, 23:46 »

JAMES BROWN?

JAMES BROWN!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #28 on: 03 Mar 2007, 13:24 »

Alan Parsons was the biggest punk of all time.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #29 on: 03 Mar 2007, 17:45 »

Johnny is right. What is more punk than a multistate car chase high on angel dust? I will go further and say James Brown invented punk.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #30 on: 03 Mar 2007, 20:48 »

He epitomized punk.  He was the Godfather of Punk.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #31 on: 07 Mar 2007, 07:22 »

Just saw the Thermals show last night and holy crap was it fun. My ears are still ringing in fact. The two openers, especially the second (the big sleep) were pretty bad. But that was all forgotten when the Thermals took the stage. They have tons of energy and I was fortunate enough to be in the front row, almost on top of the stage. They definetly know how to rock and by the last song the whole place was a crazy frantic mosh pit. Good times. Even if you don't love the band, and I consider myself in that group, see them live if you have the chance. They're awesome.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

BillAdama

« Reply #32 on: 09 Mar 2007, 21:35 »

I saw the Thermals last week.

It was a pretty small venue, but my GOD the crowd was into it.  Being near the stage in the middle was a lot like I imagine what Dante's 5th circle of hell would be like.

It was AWESOME.  Until my ears were so effed up I couldn't even tell what song they were playing anymore and left a little early.
Pages: [1]   Go Up