THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 13:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica and others  (Read 22944 times)

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
Re: Battlestar Galactica and others
« Reply #50 on: 18 Nov 2006, 11:51 »

No, the sensible arguments and dialog here have changed my mind, it's on my list of things to watch. Albeit, beneath a few other recommendations, but it's on there now.
I'm glad. I apologize for being presumptuous.

Of course! I just had real high hopes that this would finally be the show I wanted, and then the show turned out to be not everything I had dreamed for. Then I was a little dissapointed. If it was still in development for the first season, that makes me feel a bit better about it.
Sorry for ranting, but I was hoping it wouldn't be so much drama. I am not a representative sample of the population, so I'll just have to take what I can get.
I like stuff that is technically accurate, as well, but I donno, I just don't have any real issues with the show. It bothers me a little that the make of the sidearms they're using has changed between shows, but the show is focused less on the guns than it is with the action, if you get my drift. I mean, they had revolvers in the miniseries, I think. Now they've moved to using FN 5-7s with some ornaments on them.

I do really like the space battles. It's good to break from the star trek mold of space battle. It reminds me of the Homeworld series, actually.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #51 on: 28 Nov 2006, 22:02 »

...it assumes the old BSG sucks.

Which, if you were born past 1979, it does. Cheesy and campy. Blarg.

It did have going for it the fact that the protagonists were on the losing side throughout the series, just like the current series.  Mind you, it was nothing new that the good guys were the underdogs, but most times, the story revolves around the underdogs fighting back and eventually winning, whereas even the original series revolved around them running and just trying to stay alive.  So, at the very least, it bucked a trend, for which one should definitely give it some credit.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

Gutter Monkey

« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:10 »

I've seen a couple episodes of the original Battlestar, and its main problem always seemed to be that it was trying to be too many different things. A warship- even a space warship- is an inherently dark concept: it is a very complex machine that was meticulously designed to kill people. It is operated by people who get paid to be good at killing other people through various methods. That doesn't make warships evil and the people who crew them bad, but it does mean that if you're going to try and make a show about a warship into light escapism, but not in an intentional comedy kind of way, you're going to be working against your own premise. This same principle is why family-oriented/kid-friendly military dramas just suck out of general principle. *cough*JAG!*cough*

Also, what the fuck was up with those uniforms? And calling their pilots "warriors"? And calling years yarhen? And keeping a stupid kid and his robot dog around very dangerous equipment? And the disco haircuts in space? And those stupid TURBO buttons on the Viper control sticks?

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #53 on: 29 Nov 2006, 03:31 »

And those stupid TURBO buttons on the Viper control sticks?

Well, let us keep in mind that turbo is just an awesome word, especially in all caps.

Gutter Monkey

« Reply #54 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:02 »

Yeah, but can the cool-factor of turbo overcome the fact that in this context the turbo button is linked to an afterburner that makes the Viper look like it is suffering from a severe bout of flatulence?

"Starbuck, I need backup!"

"I'm on my way, Apollo. Just let me press my turbo button!" *PPPTPPTPBHBHBHBHBHBHBTT!!*

IRBABOON

« Reply #55 on: 29 Nov 2006, 10:28 »

and remember that anything with abutton labled turbo, it is instantly cool!!

Ulmassir

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #56 on: 29 Nov 2006, 11:59 »

Is it okay if, even though the new Battlestar Galactica is my favorite show, I still get all warm and nostalgic when I watch old Battlestar Galactica?

Especially when I hear the theme music...

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #57 on: 29 Nov 2006, 20:10 »

Perfectly okay.  The old Battlestar had a really good theme song.  As a piece of music, I almost like it better than the new one's theme song, though the new one fits much better.  Ooh, and Bear McCreary's arrangement of the old Battlestar theme on the Season 2 soundtrack?  Delicious.

Gutter Monkey

« Reply #58 on: 30 Nov 2006, 13:46 »

The original BSG theme was by John Williams, back before he laid his gray ass firmly on his laurels, so yeah, it's pretty good.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #59 on: 30 Nov 2006, 17:22 »

Mnementh

« Reply #60 on: 01 Dec 2006, 15:32 »

I still maintain that John Williams is a hack who doesn't have an original score in his body.

Dennis, that was pretty damn good (and about 3:15 too long).  I think that song was originally done by Rod Stewart a long time before the star trek series it was used on.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2006, 15:34 by Daniel »

Gutter Monkey

« Reply #61 on: 03 Dec 2006, 13:51 »

That clip was fucking blasphemy. Somebody should be shot for that.

And John Williams used to be great: the Jaws theme, the Imperial March, they're classics. His recent stuff is just boring.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #62 on: 04 Dec 2006, 01:27 »

I concur with Daniel amd maintain that the Imperial March is a stripped down version of Sergei Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #63 on: 17 Dec 2006, 20:26 »

I still maintain that John Williams is a hack who doesn't have an original score in his body.

Dennis, that was pretty damn good (and about 3:15 too long).  I think that song was originally done by Rod Stewart a long time before the star trek series it was used on.
Regardless of who sings it, that song has some of the worst lyrics I've ever heard. They're even worse than the lyrics to 311's first single.

Seriously, "faith of the heart" doesn't even mean anything! it's like saying "I've got spirit of the liver".

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #64 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:32 »

Guys, you're all missing the point of that song. That song wasn't ever to be taken seriously. That song was all about playing the air drums, and busting air microphone moves, and air emoting, and shouting at the top of your lungs "CAN YOU SMELL THE PASSION?!?!?!"

Mnementh

« Reply #65 on: 18 Dec 2006, 08:43 »

It's an 80s-esque thing!
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2006, 08:52 by Daniel »

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 18 Dec 2006, 18:04 »

But then in the later seasons of Enterprise they changed to a different version of the theme tune, and robbed us of even that simple pleasure.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:08 »

That was the price we pay for the last season of Enterprise being pure awesome.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 19 Dec 2006, 06:23 »

Generally I don't mind Enterprise, but the last episodes I saw were the incredibly cheesy alternative univers "Evil Empire" episodes. I almost had to open all the windows and doors in my house, they stank the place up so bad!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #69 on: 19 Dec 2006, 10:24 »

Oh, hell no!

In a Mirror, Darkly is one of the best two-parters ever!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #70 on: 19 Dec 2006, 13:02 »

Correction: one of the best ideas for a two-parter ever. But the execution was one big ol' cheese & ham sandwich.

Mnementh

« Reply #71 on: 19 Dec 2006, 13:46 »

Brennan and Berman should be shot before they have anything to do with a Star Trek Franchise ever again.  The reason that last season was better than the prior seasons is because they were forced to step away from the show.  It should have been such a better show, with the crew going off and having first contact with the romulans and all that.  Instead those fuckers decided to break with canon and get the borg involved, or right stories about that stupid time war.

That series had such potential, such horrible writing and story ideas.  BSG is pretty much everything that show should have been.  Master and Commander in space.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2006, 13:48 by Daniel »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #72 on: 19 Dec 2006, 14:22 »

Correction: one of the best ideas for a two-parter ever. But the execution was one big ol' cheese & ham sandwich.

I blame Scott Bakula.

Actually, I usually blame Scott Bakula. Bastard.

Berman was the problem with Voyager and Enterprise. I actually often step up and defend Braga because he's actually a really good writer who just should have never been put in the position of head of a show. As evidence:

Ode to Spot

Felis Cattus, is your taxonomic nomenclature,
an endothermic quadruped carnivorous by nature?
Your visual, olfactory and auditory senses
contribute to your hunting skills, and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
a singular development of cat communications
that obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
for a rhythmic stroking of your fur, to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
you would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aide in locomotion,
it often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

O Spot, the complex levels of behaviour you display
connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 19 Dec 2006, 18:10 »

BSG is pretty much everything [Enterprise] should have been.

Hmm - Two actors, both stars of Quantum Leap . . . Enterprise has Scott Bakula being generally pretty crap . . . while B.S.G. has Dean Stockwell being five-star awesome . . .

By god, I think you're onto something!!

Gutter Monkey

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:04 »

Meh, I always thought BSG is what Voyager should have been. They both have a very similar premise: a stranded crew trying to get home. If Voyager had featured a larger cast of supporting characters, and had focused on character instead of technobable, it could have been great. They could have even had a fleet, with fleet politics, as Voyager runs across other ships from the Alpha and Beta Quads that had been stranded by the Caretaker, and they form a little convoy heading back into charted space. They could have had the long, interesting story arcs of DS9, only now the main characters get to move around more. Basically, more DS9 would have been better.

Enterprise...well, Enterprise shouldn't have been, period.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #75 on: 13 Jan 2007, 10:49 »

The fourth season of Enterprise says you are wrong about that last sentence, sir! Enterprise should have continued.

Also, Ronald D. Moore complained a lot about Voyager and was part of the staff early in the show. He wrote about it in length and most of the stuff he wrote about being wrong with Voyager were things he specifically corrected in BSG.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #76 on: 14 Jan 2007, 17:36 »

If I had known Enterprise had mirror universe episodes, I probably would have bothered to get into it sooner. As it is, I didn't see much I liked, so I didn't really give a crap. I should really find someone with all the DVDs or something.

In related news, I am borrowing season 1 of BSG tomorrow, so I can actually have an opinion on this show that everyone seems to be talking so much about!
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 14 Jan 2007, 23:32 »

Don't bother with seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise, if you ever do watch it. There's not much there worth watching. Just a few episodes.

Season 3 is okay, though. Season 4 is phenominal.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

BillAdama

« Reply #78 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:00 »

Guess how I feel about Battlestar Galactica.

I'm going to be a nerd heretic here and say I didn't really like Firefly that much.  It had a lot of clever one liners, and it was cool how they did the whole anti-hero thing, but I don't feel the writing and non-Malcolm acting is that strong.  Plus the whole Inara character seemed like one big attempt to draw ratings, especially when she entertained the woman.

There isn't really a whole lot of scifi on TV I like right now other than BSG.  I guess you could call Heroes scifi, and it's got a lot of potential.  Plus, if you consider Lost scifi (Though I consider it alone in a genre with Twin Peaks), it's great.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #79 on: 04 Feb 2007, 02:32 »

Ok, so holy crap.

Holy fucking crap guys

I have not punched the air and yelled "YES!!" at the top of my lungs while watching a TV show since I first saw firefly, and I do that every second episode watching BSG.

I love how even when theres characters that I fucking hate for whatever reason (And mostly I'm just talking about Tighs wife here) they don't go out of their way to make them maliciously unlikable, but simply give them real human flaws. I mean, the woman is a whore, but it still comes across that she loves Tigh, even though, as I said, she is a filthy whore

Man, I could go on and on. I'm up to episode 6 of Season 3 now and am really jonesing for some plot development on a few things.

- The Imaginary number 6 in Baltars head/The whole "God" thing. What the heck is going on here?
- Earth: but I am kind of worried when they actually find Earth, that'll more or less be the end of the show, so I'm happy to have them put this off for a while
- Goddamn I really want to know who the other 5 Cylon models are. I have a couple of theories I won't speculate on here for spoiler reasons, but there is a pretty good chance they are deliberate red herrings. I get the feeling we haven't met most of, if any of the other models yet, but I'm thinking theres probably going to be at least big surprise "Oh shit I didn't know he/she was a cylon" moment.

Also, my one complaint about the show. At the end of S2 and the beginning of S3, everyone was growing facial hair. It rocked. Adama's moustache, Tighs surly sailors beard, and Chiefs full face sasquatch look was fucking awesome. Then everyone gets off the planet and BAM, they shave themselves clean.

POOR EFFORT, GALACTICA CREW.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up