THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 23:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japan-Rock (That's what it's called, right?) Anyone?  (Read 15496 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Japan-Rock (That's what it's called, right?) Anyone?
« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2007, 21:34 »

Oh yeah, Pizzicato 5, they're fun.  Kind of like... I don't know what.  Sixties space pop or something.  I should listen to them again.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #51 on: 29 Jan 2007, 13:31 »

Yes!  Finally someone mentions them.  Wonderful band, though admittedly only because they're Japanese.  If they were American they would suck.

I could not disagree with this statement more.  In fact, I don't even really know what it means.  Are you saying you only listen to Guitar Wolf because they're some kitschy Japanese thing?  That's not why I listen to them.  I listen to them because they've put out over 15 years worth of some of the most energetic, fun and downright noisy punk rock ever made.

If anything, they make pretty much any American or British "punk" band of the last 15 years look really lame and watered-down.

Dude you're thinking about this way too much.  They're basically the Japanese Ramones with a little more edge to the sound.  I guess kind of a Minor Threat/Ramones fusion or some shit.  Either way, if they were American or European, they would pretty much eat it.  I mean, they dress up in all leather and have been known to wear shirts that say "Punk" on them.  Their music is fun, but not original.  It is fun, though, I'm giving them that, and for that reason I will still enjoy them.  And the fact that they're Japanese.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #52 on: 29 Jan 2007, 13:49 »

I saw a video clip last night of a Japanese jazz band called Soil & Pimp. They were insane! Seriously cray Alto Sax impov and a bitchin' rhythm section.

I would give handjobs to see them live.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #53 on: 29 Jan 2007, 16:54 »

I'm not saying Guitar Wolf is original, just very good.  If they weren't Japanese they would be just as good.  I'd much rather listen to them than the Ramones any day.  I know the Ramones did it "first" but I think Guitar Wolf does it better.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #54 on: 29 Jan 2007, 21:05 »

You're preaching to the choir on that point.  I think pretty much everyone did it better than The Ramones. 
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2007, 07:41 by Flaming Ostrich »
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jan 2007, 21:58 »

Glad I'm not the only one who considers the Ramones to be overrated.  People talk about them like they were as important as the Velvet Underground or something, when really, they were just exceptionally competent.  Various other bands before or during their time were better, but they get all the attention.

backtobasics

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jan 2007, 07:33 »

uverworld is pretty good. Japanese pop with synth and guitar. Friend play's it on vent all the time so.

Valdemar

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jan 2007, 08:42 »

Mutyumu are pretty good and quite unknown I am told. They do the Kayo Dot trick of mixing metal with post-rock and other things into what they call "funeral classic". I was tempted to buy their album but they have no European distribution and their English is apparently not that good.

invertedspheres

« Reply #58 on: 02 Feb 2007, 18:05 »

I'm not saying Guitar Wolf is original, just very good.  If they weren't Japanese they would be just as good.  I'd much rather listen to them than the Ramones any day.  I know the Ramones did it "first" but I think Guitar Wolf does it better.

Guitar Wolf are excellent just for the live shows. But Wild Zero is icing, best drinking game/movie hands down, ever.

PS, saw them about 2 weeks before bass wolf died.

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #59 on: 02 Feb 2007, 19:45 »

Seek thou the original Japanese psychedelic noise band, Les Rallizes Denudes. They've been releasing music off and on for the last 40 years, much of which is exceedingly brilliant. Le 12 Mars 77 is their "classic," and shouldn't be too hard to find as they're sort of hip right now.

Another great band to check out is Xinlisupreme. They're more recent, and their schtick is gothy noise-rock with synths and a melancholy shoegaze feel.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2007, 19:48 by Tago Mago »

Azrhia

« Reply #60 on: 05 Feb 2007, 08:10 »

couldn't help but notice no one seems to have done a search ?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_rock_bands   gives a list of bands many with sound clips so you can hear what they do.  Have fun tryikng out all the suggestions though, it looks like there could be days of entertainment just in finding groups you want to listen to. 

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #61 on: 05 Feb 2007, 10:34 »

My highest recommendations would go to Eastern Youth, Number Girl, Polysics, and Bleach (called Bleach03 in the U.S., due to a wimpy Christian rock band having the name).
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #62 on: 05 Feb 2007, 14:38 »

couldn't help but notice no one seems to have done a search ?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_rock_bands

Anyone can use Wikipedia to come up with random band names; the point of threads like this is so that you can hear actual human beings recommending specific bands that they think deserve special honor, and often describing their sound.

Hence why this is a music discussion forum, dig?

Aidan

« Reply #63 on: 05 Feb 2007, 16:32 »

I'd recommend Beat Crusaders, High and Mighty Color, YUI, and Shiro Sagisu, who did the soundtrack to Bleach (an anime).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up