THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 20:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mighty Boosh  (Read 4845 times)

NecroAd

The Mighty Boosh
« on: 01 Jan 2007, 02:15 »

I'm... rather obsessed with The Mighty Boosh right now. I usually never laugh at comedy but oh this makes me laugh so much. In my opinion, it's excellent. I got The Mighty Boosh Live DVD for Christmas, wonderful. I've seen both of the series too. I'm yet to listen to the radio shows, though.

Thoughts, opinions, fans?

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
Re: The Mighty Boosh
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2007, 11:30 »

I love it.

The first series was better in my opinion, but I love this brand of comedy.

Utopian

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2007, 18:36 »

I heard the radio series first. When I was still at school I used to make a point of staying up for the 11pm comedy on Radio 4. I'd always be half asleep by the time it came on. :roll: Even so, there are a couple of series that really stuck with me - this being one of them and the other being The Sofa Of Time which seems to have disappeared without a trace :( I really wanted to get the audio CD.

Anyway, I think The Boosh is amazing. I saw a trailer for the first series on BBC3 and thought "this is familiar - wait, it's THAT THING! Have to watch!" and gradually began introducing all my friends to it.

I've yet to see the live DVD but I hear excellent things about it. I just hope to ACTUALLY see them live soon at some point.

I love the way it's all so cheaply done in the TV series. It really adds to the comedy of it and adds to the way they break down the fourth wall. Like how the characters are in front of the curtain at the start talking directly to the audience then within the show are playing themselves and other characters (Fossil playing Death and going "I'm a cockney, I'm a cockney" from under his cowl springs to mind!) in a kind of play of recent events/events that never happened/we can never verify its truth! The radio series seems to be more "real".

I also think the TV series is somehow less wholesome than the radio series. On the radio, the evillest thing out there was Bob Fossil, and in his way even he was ultimately on the side of Vince and Howard. I think I prefer the more innocent version.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2007, 16:15 »

Vince Noir dines on the warm, soft meat of gazelles when Bryan Ferry is away on tour...  :-o

Howard Moon possessed by the spirit of jazz!

Naboo existing!

:-D

There's so much good about this.

The guy who plays Howard went on to star in Chris Morris's show Nathan Barley, and Vince had a smaller part.  Bloody good show too... the art show where some bullshit electroclash outfit shouts "TERRORISTS ... ARE ... GAY" while Banksy-style stencil art nonsense gets thrown up on projector screens was cold... and comedy gold. :)  Unlike The Might Boosh, it's a satire, so if you're not at least vaguely familiar with London's design wanker side of things it may not mean that much.

Utopian

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2007, 19:37 »

I love Nathan Barley too - got it on DVD :)

It's great, a bit gross too which always helps, but I've always wondered how much it appeals to people who haven't been to Shoreditch. Like, a friend of mine from elsewhere thought it was rubbish and was just making comments about London but it's so much deeper than that. It's about certain parts of London ;) And the nature of the media, blah blah blah - I was astonished she completely failed to "get" it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2007, 23:30 »

London is a festering hell-hole. I'd quite happily level the whole place if it could be done in a way that leaves Camden and parts of the South bank still standing.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Utopian

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2007, 19:46 »

Camden? You'd leave that overly-commercial tourist trap standing? And destroy Forbidden Planet, the Museums, libraries, architecture, all the universities, and most importantly Forbidden Planet? Are you mad? :p

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2007, 20:39 »

The metalhead from the island knows not of what he speaks.  :x

London is fucking horrid, but, in the way of other horrid, huge cities, it's also ridiculously exciting.  It's not like the countryside isn't horrid in a different set of ways... maybe someone mentioned this in the great books thread, re: Hardy?  Actually no, I've drunk too much.  Oops.

"London is a country [sic] coming down from its trip" as Danny the dealer said in the immortal Withnail & I.  Big ups that wee yarn.

Utopian

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2007, 21:30 »

And yet I find London the best place in the world. I wouldn't want to live in a different city. The countryside, being its opposite, would be doable, but not a different city.

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2007, 13:15 »

I absolutely *adore* The Mighty Boosh. It's pure genius.
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2007, 18:35 »

hey i've got an idea...let's play "Pelt the Rabbit in His Big White Face"

Quote from: Vince
I've invented a new game. It's called "Pelt the Rabbit in His Big White Face". Yeah, I know, the title alone is pretty cool but what you do right is there's this big rabbit and he's huge, he's like 6 foot, right, and he's got this massive face and, I mean, it doesn't matter where you are, right, you could be wherever, could be by a windmill, it doesn't matter, and what happens is, this rabbit starts to chase you right and you gotta run or if you can't you could throw sesame seeds at him or coins or whatever or you could just take off your Chelsea boot and just take him out, 'cos if he catches you, he just throws you on the floor...and rapes you

Quote from: Howard
That isn't really game, is it. It's more like a series of events. A series of horrific events... culminating in a rape.
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2007, 10:03 »

Or we could play Crumb-eye! The winner gets a rake!
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

carpetspaghetti

« Reply #12 on: 04 Feb 2007, 15:52 »

hey if you like the mighty boosh try garth marenghis darkplace, it has cameos by julien barrett and is, if possible even more insane,
in the meantime

IM OLD GREG as yelled across reading festival, a la promo shoots on 2nd dvd

Utopian

« Reply #13 on: 05 Feb 2007, 05:37 »

Garth Merenghi - came out on DVD recently didn't it? And there's been Man to Man with Dean Learner (the actor was also in the IT crowd) which was pretty funny. But Darkplace was incredibly good - I keep meaning to buy it

carpetspaghetti

« Reply #14 on: 05 Feb 2007, 11:08 »

yeah it did, it's v funny but i dont own the dvd either, saw most episodes on the interweb. i've heard friends talk about man to man and thought i need to watch it but i have no info on airing times of much else for that matter. the it crowd was good though wasnt it.

Utopian

« Reply #15 on: 06 Feb 2007, 05:13 »

I guess it had some good moments, the goth was pretty hilarious. But their other stuff has been sublime in comparison. Or maybe it's just that it's a more standard "sitcom" compared to the others and I've got out of the habit of watching them...

I spent some good times as a drunken student watching Darkplace when I got back from the pub late at night. It's perfect for laughing like an idiot at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up