THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DS RPGs  (Read 12903 times)

JJMitchell

DS RPGs
« on: 07 Feb 2007, 11:24 »

Now that my wife finally let me buy a DS, with brain age (my brain is 55!) and Mario Kart DS.

What I need from you folks are recommendations on RPGs for the DS.

Walmart is currently sell LostMagic for $20 and while it got decent reviews on GameSpot have any of you played it?
How about more input on FFIII?

BillAdama

Re: DS RPGs
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2007, 11:30 »

Final Fantasy III...simple, if you like old school RPGs, get it.

There aren't much in the way of RPGs out for it yet.  Some game called 'Lunar Knights' just came out for it, and a sequel to FFXII called Revenant Wings is coming out for it.  Also a dungeon crawler called 'Izuna:  Unemployed Ninja'.

Also I think Dragon Quest IX is being developed for it, but a lot of the Japanese are complaining about that because it's an action/RPG.

As for RPGs already out for it, unless you count Castlevania as an RPG which some people do for some reason, there isn't really anything besides FFIII.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2007, 16:11 »

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.

DO IT.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2007, 18:15 »

Final Fantasy III is well worth the money. Other than that, there isn't much in the realm of 'traditional' RPGs on the system. All the rest have elements of other genres, like action RPG, strategy RPG, or just plain strange-ness.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2007, 20:34 »

Also, buy Elite Beat Agents. It is not an RPG, but that doesn't matter. Do it.

Spinless

« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2007, 13:01 »

Castlevania games are often better RPGs than most RPGs.
I agree with Storm Rider with 'partners in time', because every mario based RPG is pure gold.
Final Fantasy three'll take care of your 'traditional' rpg needs.
I'm gonna say that those three are exactly what you want to buy, because there's a really great traditional RPG and two action games with really strong RPG elements.

They're also three of the best games available...

I haven't played Portrait of Ruin yet, I'm not even sure if it's out in the UK, but Dawn of Sorrow is still on every single shelf in the UK, even in stores that don't sell videogames.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2007, 17:06 »

Final Fantasy 5 Advance. Yes, it's a GBA title and you don't get to be all fancy with the stylus, but Final Fantasy 5 rocked.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is supposed to come out sometime before the universe ends. Pokemon freakin' rocks. Until then, go pull out Red or Blue and level your Charizard to 99.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2007, 17:22 »

April 22nd in the US!

I actually haven't owned a Pokemon game since Red, so I'm kind of looking forward to getting back into it all over again.

Spinless

« Reply #8 on: 09 Feb 2007, 06:03 »

You never played the amazing games that were gold and silver? Those games were the best pokemon games yet, because it had way cooler stuff than red/blue, and the most of the new pokemon were pretty cool, and not lame like they are now.

JJMitchell

« Reply #9 on: 09 Feb 2007, 06:53 »

How in the hell can Pokemon be an RPG?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #10 on: 09 Feb 2007, 07:38 »

How in the hell can Pokemon be fun?

Fixed it for you.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 09 Feb 2007, 15:44 »

You never played the amazing games that were gold and silver? Those games were the best pokemon games yet, because it had way cooler stuff than red/blue, and the most of the new pokemon were pretty cool, and not lame like they are now.

I played Gold and Silver, I just never owned them. I borrowed Silver from a friend once but never finished it, and played a Gold ROM but didn't finish that either. I couldn't have completely finished that one either because you can't get all the Pokemon without trading, and obviously that was a bit harder on the PC.

JJMitchell

« Reply #12 on: 09 Feb 2007, 17:53 »

Guys,

GET YOUR POKEMON OUTTA MY THREAD.

Yes, I was shouting.

Spinless

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:48 »

Pokemon is totally an RPG and it totally fun. The pokemon adventure games are QC forum approved, you can either deal with it or LEAVE THE FORUMS FOREVER.
No, really though, Pokemon can basically be sumed up as 'My First RPG'. It's pretty simple, anybody can play it. No where near as 'deep' as most RPGs, but it's WAY fun and last a long time.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2007, 13:10 »

I'm going to just put this out there, you can do whatever you want with it...:Pokemon is to RPGs as Dragon Ball Z is to anime.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2007, 13:34 »

Pokemon is fun, guys. Being 'too cool' for Pokemon is not cool anymore.

JJMitchell

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2007, 15:47 »

I never claim to be too cool for anything.  Accusing people of being too cool is not cool anymore.

My question was how in the heck Pokemon was an RPG?  Do you level up?  How do you 'roleplay'?

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2007, 16:02 »

mario based RPG

I'm now having flashbacks of the Paper Mario games. Damn, they are amazing.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2007, 17:59 »

My question was how in the heck Pokemon was an RPG?  Do you level up?  How do you 'roleplay'?

Yes. The Pokemon level up and gain new skills as they battle. Fighting is also turn-based, like an RPG.

Also, Super Paper Mario is coming out for the Wii sometime this year. Supposedly before summer, but I don't know if I buy that.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2007, 18:01 by Storm Rider »

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2007, 18:11 »

I'm going to just put this out there, you can do whatever you want with it...:Pokemon is to RPGs as Dragon Ball Z is to anime.

Both are actually of those genres but people like to deny it because people outside of those genre groups enjoy them?
I never claim to be too cool for anything.  Accusing people of being too cool is not cool anymore.

Pokemon Dungeon Rescue blue is awesome, Im not sure if thats the name though. I have it. And its good fun.
You play as a pokemon and you level up yourself.

Now isnt that leveling up? And roleplaying?

Also the entire game is turn based (In dungeons anyway), so as you move enemies can also move. But when you stop they stop.

RPG enough for you?

Also there is this one rpg i saw. i forget the name but basically the bottom screen is for spell casting, and you draw the spell you cast.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2007, 18:13 by godinpants »

JJMitchell

« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2007, 18:40 »

Now that is more like it.  The game where you draw the spells is LostMagic.  It was one of the games I had asked about hehe.

I'll have to keep an eye out of the Pokemon in the used game section.

godinpants

• Godinpants
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2007, 19:38 »

My one problem with the new pokemon though, is that you cant battle your friends.
Although if you get stuck in a dungeon. (Cant complete a mission, too many enemies that sort of thing.) You can get a friend to link up and rescue you.

I was looking forward to doing battle with a friend at uni. I guess its just back to mario karts then.

Im going to be looking into Lost Magic too. Tell me what its like if you get it.

Also, if your not too fussed about playing gameboy advance games on your ds, check out the Fire Emblem and Children of the Mana.

Mr u Suk

« Reply #22 on: 10 Feb 2007, 20:41 »

actually i think Game Informer gave LostMagic worst game of 06 in their end of the year issue.

Do you like EarthBound? follow (yes) or (no)

(yes): then pick up Contact for the DS, its a very quirky RPG that is in the same vein of Earthbound, loads of fun to be had and a good deal of laughs.

(no) please tell me, what the fuck is wrong with you!?!

jimmyjojoh

« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:33 »

Off the topic entirely but whenever someone mentions  RPGs I feel like screaming Final Fantasy 7 Baby from the rooftop!!! Best game of all time... I get goosebumps thinking bout it.....Aeries- why did you leave me!

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:19 »

I made this comparison in another thread, but Dragon Ball Z is like the Natty Light of anime. People who think they like beer like Natty Light. People who actually know what good beer is and is supposed to be hate Natty Light. So it goes for DBZ.

I don't actually hate Pokemon, I just don't think of it as a true RPG. I'm not saying you can't like Pokemon and also really like serious RPGs at the same time, but it just seems unlikely. Plus all I needed to play was one Pokemon game (the original Red version) and that was enough.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2007, 13:58 »

Off the topic entirely but whenever someone mentions  RPGs I feel like screaming Final Fantasy 7 Baby from the rooftop!!! Best game of all time... I get goosebumps thinking bout it.....Aeries- why did you leave me!

6 is better.

Yeah, I said it.

RandomGuy

« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2007, 14:42 »

Pokemon was/is awesome though it went funny in the middle. Master dungeon (where you are the pokemon) sounds incredible and red and blue rocked (I had all 150!). Has anyone got any information on lostmagic because the rune/spellcasting idea sounds amazing but I dont know anything else about it. Also when is it out in the UK? FF7 rules! Ive only just started playing it but the 2nd disc isnt working : <. 2 rpg's im awaiting are FFXII (12 NOT 10-2, that sucked) and paper mario on the wii!

Mr u Suk

« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2007, 18:48 »

6 is better.

Yeah, I said it.

may i second that thought

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2007, 20:57 »

Never really played FFVII actually.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

godinpants

• Godinpants
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2007, 22:17 »

The only final fantasy ive liked was Crystal Chronicles.

I once played FFX, and after aboutu half an hour of cutscenes without me doing anything really, i turned it off.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2007, 09:35 »

Oh I know what you mean. I only ever read Mostly Harmless and saw The Godfather: Part III. I felt comfortable leaving behind both series.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

jimmyjojoh

« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2007, 13:37 »

Pokemon was/is awesome though it went funny in the middle. Master dungeon (where you are the pokemon) sounds incredible and red and blue rocked (I had all 150!). Has anyone got any information on lostmagic because the rune/spellcasting idea sounds amazing but I dont know anything else about it. Also when is it out in the UK? FF7 rules! Ive only just started playing it but the 2nd disc isnt working : <. 2 rpg's im awaiting are FFXII (12 NOT 10-2, that sucked) and paper mario on the wii!

The European Version came with 3 disks, so I'm guessing its the same in America. But anyway, with FF7 the entire game is available on all 3 disks, they just made it on 3disks to make the box more sexy and impressive. I'm almost positive that there is a way of switching the disks at the right time and continue playing even if your second CD is faulty, I cant remember how to do it cause I never had the probelm, but just google FF7 secrets and Tips and you will find it somewhere.
     Good Sepherioth hunting!!!! :evil:

I never played FF6(damnnit), but Ive been told FF5 on the Game Boy Advance rocks the entire planet when played some I think Im going to get it for my Nintendo DS instead of FF3 cause the reviews were pretty average

rasufelle

« Reply #32 on: 13 Feb 2007, 10:22 »

If you're having FFVII problems, just find the "ultima edition" for PC.  Once I put my copy on, I didn't even need the discs again, and it took less than 200 mb total space.

FF V is THE greatest FF game, period.  I've been playing them since I managed to get a hand on the original FF for my NES, and out of all the games (minus XI and XII, which I haven't played but I don't really count because the break the mold) I find V to be the best.

Really, since GBA games DO work on the DS, your opportunities for some good old fashioned dungeon crawling are wide open.  Dungeons and Dragons: Eye of the Beholder is a classic, though the GBA version's combat system and switch to version 3 rules feels odd in such an old school game.  Then there's DemiKids, kind of a cross between Pokemon and Shen Megame Tensei, kinda weird, but worth trying.  Golden Sun, obviously, both are well known and easily available, though the gameplay is for the most part extemely simple until you've collected a massive number of the djinn, at which point it gets crazy.  Lunar Legend- sucks compared to the original Sega CD releases, especially with the loss of the videos, but the gameplay is easy to get a handle on, and the story is fairly good as well. 

On the DS itself, they really haven't released that large a number of RPGs yet, but when combined with the massive numbers of GBA cartridges available, and the pending releases, there shouldn't be any problems.

greenblob

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2007, 19:06 »

Since someone mentioned Castlevania, I guess I can recommend Scurge: Hive.

Paulefinch

« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2007, 11:35 »

FFIII is the best RPG for the DS, although there aren't many. I've played  Eragon and Spyro: A New Beginning, which are both kinda quasi-RPGs, but they're ok. Just buy 'em used.

Shishio

« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2007, 13:03 »

I will also vouch for Final Fantasy III.

And even though they're for GBA, FFIV, V, and VI advance make for worthy purchases.

(Well, I passed on IV because I have almost beaten the PS version, but I have V and VI.)

BillAdama

« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2007, 13:59 »

I never got into Pokemon.  Yeah it seems fun, but Magic:  The Gathering turned me off to any game where you have to keep spending lots of money in order to keep winning.

Don't know why I forgot about Partners in Time and Contact.  Pretty good games.

Every time somebody mentions how great FFVII is I get the urge to list the reasons it's an overrated piece of garbage, but I'm not in the mood for that kind of flamebait right now, so I'll leave it at that.

The Castlevania games are the best games on DS, but if you call them RPGs then just about any platformer is an RPG if you just give it levels and items.

But it's gotten totally stupid to argue what makes an RPG.  Some people think that only PC-style RPGs are real RPGs because they're nonlinear and let you make any kind of character you want.  Some people think anything with any sort of levels and items is an RPG.  They all have good arguments but it doesn't really matter because there's a distinctly different feel to games like Zelda and Castlevania than games like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.  Just call the stupid games what you want -- it won't make anybody associate them with a different category of games than they already do.

Call them what you want.  The way my mind categorizes them, there are games that are plot intensive and take you through the world and dungeons as the story demands, that tend to be turn based and all about numbers and such, and there are games that are action oriented and all about the gameplay and levels.  If that isn't what makes an RPG from a non-RPG, I'll just think of a different word.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #37 on: 19 Feb 2007, 14:31 »

FFVII isn't garbage, but if it did anything less than cure AIDS, cancer, and Ebola simultaneously it would be overrated.

Spinless

« Reply #38 on: 20 Feb 2007, 08:20 »

I just call them either RPGs or Action RPGs. Where Action RPGs are RPG like games without a turn based battle system.
Yah get Castlevania yet?
Oh hey, does anybody when when the europe release for Portrait of Ruin is? What about FF3? Hotel Dusk? Can't find them online anywhere!

BillAdama

« Reply #39 on: 21 Feb 2007, 15:56 »

FFVII isn't garbage, but if it did anything less than cure AIDS, cancer, and Ebola simultaneously it would be overrated.

You're right.  FFVII is a perfectly decent game.

It's just garbage compared to the amazingly brilliant best game of all time version of FFVII people keep talking about.  I want to play that version.

jimmyjojoh

« Reply #40 on: 22 Feb 2007, 10:43 »

Any game that can convince you to spend a solid 10 hours breeding chocobosjust so  you get a gold chocobo, just so you can see "Knights of the round" summon materia in action to completely obliterate Seperioth when he looks like a flying angel is gold in my opinion-   my god ive wasted my life!

Spinless

« Reply #41 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:05 »

10 hours? I did the gold chocobo quest it about half an hour...
And I don't think that 7 was very good either.
It wasn't bad.
But it was a really weak FF game.
While you play it, it feels like the developers weren't really sure what they were doing with it, and at parts it felt like they were making the game up as they went along to me.
You know what was better than number 7?
Number 9.
Even number 8 was better than 7.
People don't talk about 9 enough.|
Infact, I've never heard any of you talk about ff9. Why is that, tell me?
And what was so bad about ff8 anyway?
Seriously guys, I wanna know.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #42 on: 22 Feb 2007, 17:17 »

The Playstation FF's equal out to a wash to me. But maybe we should just start a FF thread so we don't clog this one up with off topic debating.

JJMitchell

« Reply #43 on: 03 Mar 2007, 04:46 »

I found FFIII used at my local ebgames so I grabbed it for 34 after taxes.

Anyway, I remember reading something about the jobs that people recommend and I thought it was in this thread but apparently I was wrong.

So, if you have any advice please do tell.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #44 on: 03 Mar 2007, 08:20 »

The only thing that really stuck out to me as a useless job were the Archer ones. Their special skills are fairly weak, and their base stats aren't fantastic, either. I never used the Bard, but that's kind of a personal preference and I'm told they get good with work.

As for what should be used...

I can't recommend Thief class enough for stealing, opening doors, running, etc. I kept someone as a Thief for almost my entire game and they got to Job Level 99 and were doing more damage than my other characters. Geomancers are freaking amazing in this game because they're like Black Mages without the need for MP. On the note of Mages, though, MAKE ONE OF YOUR CHARACTERS A WHITE MAGE AND KEEP THEM THAT WAY FOR THE WHOLE GAME. I'm dead serious. Upgrading to Devout near the end game is a 50/50 proposition because you get more casts of upper level magic but less of lower. As for Black Mages, I used one through most of my game but after awhile I felt like the physical classes were better.

If you're looking for badass endgame classes, I used the Knight class throughout most of the game because in the final dungeon area there's a "bonus" dungeon you can go to that has all kind of super weapons, including the two best swords in the game, which only Knights can use (I think). Knight's also can use level 1 White magic, which is a godsend because without mid-dungeon saves you'll need every little bit of healing you can get. I would also recommend using a Dragoon, because they are generally awesuma BUT to maximize their kickassery you have to steal the Gungnir lance from Odin when you encounter him in the game. Failing that, Ninja and Summoner. Ninja isn't the godlike class it was in the Famicom version, but if you buy 99 shurikens and just keep throwing those, it's guaranteed 9999 damage everytime. I never used Evokers or Summoners in my game, but I'm going to whenever I get around to replaying the game because everyone says they kick ass.

Wow, this was way longer than I thought.

JJMitchell

« Reply #45 on: 03 Mar 2007, 08:27 »

Awesome thanks.
I was thinking someone had said thiefs were awesome but couldn't remember if it was thief or monks.

I have just started really and have a thief, red, black and white mages.  Working pretty good so far.

Spinless

« Reply #46 on: 18 Mar 2007, 09:14 »

Guys, is FFIII out in the UK yet? Still haven't seen it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up