THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rachel's has taken over my life  (Read 4128 times)

A Shitty Person

Rachel's has taken over my life
« on: 07 Feb 2007, 12:57 »

I forgot about this band for a long period of time, then somebody purchased Handwriting at my store a while back. I have no idea how I ignored such incredible, powerful music for so long. It would have been one thing if I had never heard them, but I spend a decent part of the nineties obsessed with them.

If you're not familiar with them, I suggest looking into www.myspace.com/rachelsfan and www.myspace.com/honeysucklesuite.

The notable songs on those two pages are Water from the Same Source, Esperanza, and Last Thing's Last.

SeanBateman

Re: Rachel's has taken over my life
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2007, 13:05 »

I am listening to Doug Sahm right now so I can't listen.

What do they sound like?

A Shitty Person

« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2007, 13:13 »

Exceedingly difficult to describe properly. Most of their music is based off of piano and strings, some woodwinds and occasionally even some electronic work. It's chamber music-ish, but still manages to sound very contemporary. To a degree you can even hear the influence of the early/mid nineties mid-Atlantic "post rock" (god I hate that term) stuff, especially in some of the weird time signatures. Actually the drummer from Rodan was defintely on the first couple of records, I don't remember whether he remained in the band beyond that though.

Also it's about 98% instrumental.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2007, 13:18 »

it's very nice, very pretty, largely more minimal orchestral/symphonic stuff. mostly strings (there's guitar but a lot of classical instruments i.e. viola, cello ect. as well) and piano and subtle drums at times. mostly the former two though. i've heard their music described as having a "postrock and post-chamber-music vibe." whatever that means. but it's good either way.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

A Shitty Person

« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2007, 13:21 »

Didn't really catch on to the soundtrack they did afterwards though.

Music for Egon Schiele?

I would definitely give it another shot, there are some really massive songs on that record.

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2007, 18:39 »

Rachel's is pretty good post rock. Two of the band members composed the music to a local play here in Nashville, TN this winter.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb 2007, 18:42 »

I've only heard Systems/Layers, but I enjoyed it very much.  I found it refreshing to have a 'post-rock' record with shorter songs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up