THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 19:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today I have decided to discover whether or not I Like Mogwai.  (Read 8739 times)

SeanBateman

Further details as events warrent

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

yeah, he's pretty cool
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi

Welcome to 1997!

Search YouTube for their live performance of "Summer".
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Mogwai song......instrumental 

redundant?

but jerkishness aside i agree. if it's not the best (the almost 20 minute take of like herod off the governemnt commissions is pretty great) it's among the best. has anyone heard the zidane soundtrack? b/c it's really awesome.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!

fabled engineer Steve Albini.

I see you like to refer to him on his terms.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

SeanBateman

So Far, I like Mogwai.

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.

Poll: best Mogwai song?

I put it between Like Herod, Mogwai Fear Satan, and Helicon 2.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)

The best Mogwai song is 'My Father, My King'.

It's a 20 minute instrumental that uses the melody from Avinu Malkeinu, a prayer from the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur. It was recorded by fabled engineer Steve Albini. Something of a must have amongst Mogwai enthusiasts.

I've never heard this Mogwai track, but I've heard Avinu Malkeinu; my high school chorus did a rendition of it my senior year, and even when sung by a bunch of kids, it's still beautiful. 
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2007, 07:36 by Will »
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

ScrambledGregs

A good way to see if you like Mogwai is to wait until it's a gray or otherwise rainy day and then listen to them. I find that I don't like Mogwai nearly as much when it's sunny out.

Spinless

The best Mogwai song is 'My Father, My King'.

They also have a pretty good live show. I mean, it's not great, but it's a good night out.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

I will never ever understand people who insist that Mogwai's best songs are all on Ten Rapid or Young Team.  I think they have gotten better with every album.  Favorite songs, in order by album:

Summer (Ten Rapid version)
Like Herod
R U Still In 2 It?
cody
Ex-Cowboy
Stanley Kubrick
Take Me Somewhere Nice
You Don't Know Jesus
Secret Pint
Killing All the Flies
Moses? I Amn't
Ratts of the Capital
Glasgow Mega-Snake
Travel is Dangerous
Friend of the Night
I Chose Horses
We're No Here

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Sorry man, your Happy Songs tracks are great but you missed "Kids Will Be Skeletons."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

My Father, My King is a pretty epic song. There are some others I like more, but I can't remember the names at the moment.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

'ex cowboy' and 'you don't know jesus' are among their best songs. i've heard they're monstrously loud live. is this true? sadly i can't seem to find any information on any upcoming North American tours. i'd love to see them even if they aren't fantastic live.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ScrambledGregs

I own a copy of their musical album release titled "Come On Die Young" and I quite enjoy it though it is apparently most peoples' least favorite Mogwai album.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

'come on die young' is among their worst stuff, even if i do still think it's quite good. 'choky' and 'ex-cowboy' are definetly great songs. young team may be their best. afterall it has 'like herod' and 'mogwai fear satan' the latter of which is 16 minutes of sheer greatness. their less heard stuff, 'the fountain OST' and the 'Zidane OST' along with the peel sessions and their contributions to the 'travels in constants' series are all great as well. mogwai are pretty much a really excellent band all around. there isn't a bad album in the batch. although i do reccomend any one start with the aforementioned young team, where one goes from there doesn't matter too much. i have a personal connection to happy songs for happy people but for the most part the whole discography is rather good.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

It is funny that this topic is coming out now because I asked Emilio to upload a Mogwai album for me a few days ago. I tried getting into them a long time ago and didn't like it at all. I've listened to more post rock since so i gave it another try, and I enjoy it more now, but I still don't quite understand what all the fuss is about.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

The thing that gets me about people saying Young Team is the best is that, yes, it has about 3 songs on it which are totally fucking awesome (Like Herod, R U Still In 2 It?, Mogwai Fear Satan) but the rest of the album is just kind of... meh.  The version of Summer on it is total shite (something the band admits), and several of them are just kind of... there.

It's kind of how I feel about Loveless.  Sure, Loveless has Only Shallow and Soon, but inbetween those two epic songs there are some decent tracks and some that are just kind of "there".

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

I still don't quite understand what all the fuss is about.

The noises they make are MATHMATICAL!

No, I'm not calling them math-rock,

ScrambledGregs

It's kind of how I feel about Loveless.  Sure, Loveless has Only Shallow and Soon, but inbetween those two epic songs there are some decent tracks and some that are just kind of "there".

I'm stunned. I didn't think it was possible to just like a few songs off of Loveless. It's one of those albums I always saw as an "all or nothing" proposition, like Selected Ambient Works Volume II. I certainly like some songs more than others, but to say the rest are just sort of there..?? Well, each to his or her own.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

The thing that gets me about people saying Young Team is the best is that, yes, it has about 3 songs on it which are totally fucking awesome (Like Herod, R U Still In 2 It?, Mogwai Fear Satan) but the rest of the album is just kind of... meh.  The version of Summer on it is total shite (something the band admits), and several of them are just kind of... there.

I love Young Team, mostly because it's the album that got me into Mogwai. I love every second of it.

Also, I agree with you on Loveless. Great album, but I like Isn't Anything a lot more.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I love Young Team, mostly because it's the album that got me into Mogwai.

that's why i like happy songs for happy people so much. ratts of the capitol was the first mogwai song i ever heard. it was on the princeton university radio station and it floored me. that was a few years ago and i've been a huge fan ever since.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

The song that got me into Mogwai was Like Herod, I remember listening to it on repeat constantly.

Actually, Mr. Beast comes really close to being my favorite Mogwai album.

FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)

Why do so many people dump on Mr Beast so much?  I though this was actually a really great album, in spite of the fact that the songs are shorter.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

I'm stunned. I didn't think it was possible to just like a few songs off of Loveless. It's one of those albums I always saw as an "all or nothing" proposition, like Selected Ambient Works Volume II. I certainly like some songs more than others, but to say the rest are just sort of there..?? Well, each to his or her own.

To each his or her own indeed.  For, much as you seem unable to comprehend my opinion on Loveless, I have a similar problem comprehending - and I don't mean this in a derogatory way - your approach to musical appreciation.  You seem to not be very familiar or in agreement with subjectivity.  For example, I suspect the following statement will cause your brain to reboot: "Someone who has heard both My Chemical Romance and Neutral Milk Hotel and prefers the former has just as correct a musical opinion as someone who has heard both and prefer NMH."   :angel:

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics

Sorry man, your Happy Songs tracks are great but you missed "Kids Will Be Skeletons."
  He also missed the best track on that album, and any other Mogwai album, "Stop Coming To My House"
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them
Pages: [1]   Go Up