THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yo La Tengo  (Read 3036 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Yo La Tengo
« on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:07 »

i just saw YLT last night at the tracadero in philly and holy hell were they great. initially the show was a little weak. after a great opener the songs tapered off, becoming a little too quiet, a little too poppy. the audience was begining to get sort of talkative and unresponsive. but then the massive walls of crazy disonance and crazy distortion came along. their albums really don't do justice to their ability to really go crazy and rock. it was definetly one of the more intense and energetic shows i've seen in a long time with lots of songs sprawling way beyond their album running time. immensely loud dissonant distorted rock awesomeness is a very good thing in my book. anyone else seen these guys live before? if not, you should. if so, any thoughts?
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
Re: Yo La Tengo
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2007, 10:22 »

Hit or miss.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:24 »

Have not seen them live, but would love to. Ira is a pseudo-hero of mine because he's not the most attractive guy in the world and he used to be a rock critic, two things he's somehow parlayed into a genius music career and shockingly good/emotive singing voice.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:38 »

I cannot afford 70 dollars to see them play the Laneway Festival. I am very angry about this. Although I somehow scored tickets to Camera Obscuras sideshow, so maybe slightly less angry, but still. I would do dirty things to ugly, rich women for a Laneway ticket.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 15:31 »

Sadly they're not playing at Melbourne's Laneway festival. I'm still undecided on whether or not to pay extra money to see one of their (now three, I think) sideshows. I mean, I have to save my pennies so I can go see Calexico too, and the Handsome Family, and Rory McLeod, and . . .

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 20:55 »

Their albums don't do justice to their ability to rock?  Have you heard Electr-O-Pura?!  Hell, "Blue Line Swinger" alone nails it.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 23:50 »

I love their records but I gather they have a reputation as a mercurial live act to say the least.

I am gathering from context that you gather they are not the most consistantly awesome band to see live, but that is a terribly vague word to describe something in this sense.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

JCnNJ

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2007, 03:38 »

i just saw YLT last night at the tracadero in philly and holy hell were they great. initially the show was a little weak. after a great opener the songs tapered off, becoming a little too quiet, a little too poppy. the audience was begining to get sort of talkative and unresponsive. but then the massive walls of crazy disonance and crazy distortion came along. their albums really don't do justice to their ability to really go crazy and rock. it was definetly one of the more intense and energetic shows i've seen in a long time with lots of songs sprawling way beyond their album running time. immensely loud dissonant distorted rock awesomeness is a very good thing in my book. anyone else seen these guys live before? if not, you should. if so, any thoughts?

Some of Yo La Tengo's songs are quiet and poppy.  What was the audience expecting to happen?

Philly crowds are the worst.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2007, 08:32 »

Any band that can pull off slow, long, quiet, or otherwise unrockin' songs live gets my vote. Not that I ever expect them to do it, but the one thing missing from Deerhoof's live show is a few songs where they do the aforementioned unrocking.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2007, 15:33 »

Their albums don't do justice to their ability to rock?  Have you heard Electr-O-Pura?!  Hell, "Blue Line Swinger" alone nails it.

well this is one example and i have heard it but live it's, i'd argue, more intense rocking b/c of the sheer volume and the level of energy they have while playing.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Skittish

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2007, 20:55 »

Saw them the night before in Baltimore. Good show.
Pages: [1]   Go Up