THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NIN- "YearZero"  (Read 8939 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
NIN- "YearZero"
« on: 14 Feb 2007, 07:07 »

Not sure how many Nine Inch Nails fans we have here, but the promotion campaign for the new album is pretty cool.  Apparantly Trent and Co. have brought 42 Entertainment on board to create an ARG (Alternate Reality Game, look it up on Wikipedia if you're curious) all tying into the concept of the album itself.  Start out here to dig into the whole thing yourself, or use the cheat-sheat here.  I have no clue what this album is going to be like; it could be as awesome as The Fragile or Downward Spiral, it could be utter shit...I do know this - the marketing for it is fucking awesome!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

AnonymousNoob

Re: NIN- "YearZero"
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2007, 07:41 »

The people who like NIN on this board are too cool to admit it, but will give you their "eh, I liked them/him when I was young and angsty" response.

I am looking forward to the new album.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2007, 08:47 »

Most people aren't even willing to admit that they liked The Fragile.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2007, 11:08 »

Partly of spite, partly because it's true, I will freely admit to still liking NIN as well as the fact that The Fragile is my favourite of the NIN albums.

I cannot wait for this album. I'm also extremely impressed that he's got someting out within two years of the last album.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Will

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2007, 11:45 »

I think The Fragile is an amazing album, but Downward Spiral is my favorite.  It just bums me out that so many people don't get anything beyond "huh-huh...he said fuck you like an animal..huh huh" out of that album. 
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2007, 13:17 »

Or, as Weird Al's version goes, "I wanna *comic noise* you like an animal!" *accordion*
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2007, 13:32 »

I *loved* the Fragile when I was uh, young and angsty. I used to obsess over Nine Inch Nails.

I don't really listen to Nine Inch Nails all that much anymore, but if it hadn't been for NIN I wouldn't have discovered 90% of the bands that I like nowadays.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2007, 13:34 »

they played closer on their last tour and i was very excited when they did. even if there weren't words, i'd like the song. the downward spiral is a pretty awesome album, so i hope it's along the lines of that one, but i'll probably like it anyways. in other words, i'm excited.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

The extra letter

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2007, 13:50 »

they played closer on their last tour and i was very excited when they did. even if there weren't words, i'd like the song. the downward spiral is a pretty awesome album, so i hope it's along the lines of that one, but i'll probably like it anyways. in other words, i'm excited.
It's probably Heresy* to say this, but The Downward Spiral is probably my least favourite NIN album. Broken is probably my all-time favourite, even though it's an EP rather than an all-out album. Plus, the Adam Ant cover is totally rad...

*Liek the song, geddit?
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2007, 14:19 »

Q: How do you get a drink out of a Rivethead?
A: Play him some Nine Inch Nails.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2007, 15:19 »

well a) personally i still like nine inch nails and b) i still have an excuse of being young and angsty so teh w00t to the new album and the advertising campaign
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2007, 16:13 »

Here's hoping it'll be less shit than the last one.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2007, 19:44 »

Man I am well excited by this. That ARG idea is great... Is it by the same guys who did the whole "I Love Bees" thing for Halo 2?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Will

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2007, 19:47 »

Yep, same ones.  I believe they also did the ARG for "LOST" too...

Firevine

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2007, 21:21 »

Here's hoping it'll be less shit than the last one all of them.

NIN is one of those bands I liked in high school, then woke up one day and was just like "ew".

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2007, 23:55 »

I still really like Pretty Hate Machine. From then on it's been a downward spiral (lol) with occasional flashes of brilliance but despite the overwhelming angst, I still think that was a really solid CD.

Broken had some spiffy ideas and since then it's all been a bit silly. Especially With UH Teeth UH. Ugh.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2007, 02:16 »

Man, The Fragile is the only album of NINs I can still really just sit down and listen to. Anytime another album comes on I typically just sort of skip through the tracks looking for a song or two.

Also, this is fantastic news. I heard NIN were touring here again this year, and I wasn't so keen since I just saw them last year, and it was an OK show, but not worth the 70 or so bucks I paid. However, if they are touring on a concept album, I consider buying a ticket, loading up on psychidelics, and attending their show to be a whimsical way to spend an evening.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:16 »

Nine Inch Nails are great. I too used to listen to The Fragile with some measure of reverence. Now I treat them as basically a really good pop band. The trick is not to take the angst too seriously and just enjoy the music for its other substantial merits.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2007, 07:18 by Tago Mago »

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2007, 15:43 »

well here's one of the  track leaks of the first song

http://www.prefixmag.com/blog/prefix/2007/02/14/nin-my-violent-heart-mp3/

it appears they've gotten worse since with teeth

this songs reminds me a little bit of only

TheoristB

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.ohnonarecords.com
« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2007, 23:41 »

well here's one of the  track leaks of the first song

http://www.prefixmag.com/blog/prefix/2007/02/14/nin-my-violent-heart-mp3/

it appears they've gotten worse since with teeth

this songs reminds me a little bit of only

Weird, I thought this song was better than most of the song songs on With Teeth.  It reminds me a bit of where he was kind of heading with the Perfect Drug, not as good as the Perfect Drug, but in a good direction.  He has said that the album will be the danciest yet.  THis makes me happy.
You Smarmy Bastard.

rdalke

« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2007, 01:48 »

I like NIN. The Fragile is by far the best album, hands down, no arguement, with The Downward Spiral a close second. With Teeth also has some great tracks on it: see "Sunspots"

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:06 »

Weird, I thought this song was better than most of the song songs on With Teeth.  It reminds me a bit of where he was kind of heading with the Perfect Drug, not as good as the Perfect Drug, but in a good direction.  He has said that the album will be the danciest yet.  THis makes me happy.

It's definitely better than the shite on With Teeth. Not really much of a step forward, it sounds like a fairly average Downward Spiral outtake, but maybe it'll be more impressive when it's cleaned up on the final release.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2007, 04:08 »

i'm not a real fan of dance music however which may be where our positions vary

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2007, 06:02 »

NIN?
Dancy?
Jesus. 
Not bad, just. . .Jesus.
Who castrated Trent?

Will

« Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2007, 06:40 »

I'm fairly underwhelmed by this track as a whole, but I did like the line "there's bullet holes where my compassion used to be"

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2007, 06:45 »

Plus, does he have a cold?
This reminds me a lot of his track with Wink.
And not in a good way.

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #26 on: 16 Feb 2007, 08:49 »

NIN started off making dancy rock music, and that's always been part of the formula (see Closer, Ruiner, All the Love in the World, Only). I think it's cool that he's getting back to that style. Trent's in need of a castration. He sounds most out of touch when aiming at the modern rock audience.

TheoristB

• Larger than most fish
    • http://www.ohnonarecords.com
« Reply #27 on: 16 Feb 2007, 18:29 »

Anyone else hear Survivalism?  First listen i was dissapointed, then i listened again.  I really like it. 

Also, I don't think he will make a straight dance record.  It just will be more dancey than the past few.  NIN has always had dancey songs.  This is going to be a very electronic album.  Very awesome.
You Smarmy Bastard.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #28 on: 16 Feb 2007, 19:23 »

NIN?
Dancy?

WHO'D HAVE THUNK?

I had a look at the ARG. Looks interesting, but...it's NIN. I cannot be arsed to participate in such a thing just in order to find out some shit about a NIN album. It was like this with the Halo one. Why can't someone tie one of these things in to something I give a shit about?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #29 on: 16 Feb 2007, 20:08 »

I still sort of like Pretty Hate Machine, despite it being hella angsty and actually not all that good.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2007, 02:14 »

Yeah, from memory the sleeve of 'Pretty Hate Machine' gives thanks / props / acknowledged influence to acts like Prince and Public Enemy, which suggests to me there's a reason why I like it most.  Still, having sold off the CD probably a good decade ago I decided to download it a month back and give it another listen... shit, it's dated badly.

BTW, the version of 'The Downward Spiral' I bought had totally fucked up CD times ... like, half of some tracks was lost in the -0:30 lead-in times for the next track and things like that.  Not sure if this was just the first run or what?

How about Coil's remix of Closer?  Their 3 remixes of NIN are pretty amazing.  I was so confused when I went to see Se7en and this one came up over the opening credits.  What a nasty fucking movie.   :x

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #31 on: 17 Feb 2007, 11:14 »

NIN?
Dancy?

WHO'D HAVE THUNK?

Where the shit did you find that.  It's very strange and I find myself disliking it.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2007, 00:31 »

well aparntly they did actually decide to come out to oz and since i'm still young and angsty i'm going

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #33 on: 20 Feb 2007, 19:49 »

The new songs sound like your dad trying to be hip again.

I mean, I loved Pretty Hate Machine when I was like 15 or 16 and thought Front 242 and REM were the greatest bands in the world, and I can still listen to it because musically it was at least trying to be kind of funky and interesting, and I think "Something I Can Never Have" is possibly the only angsty sad song he has ever written that didn't sound COMPLETELY like it was copied out of a 9th grader's journal (it sounds like 11th grade, at least).

I can still listen to The Fragile because that was when he was totally on drugs and listening to Aphex Twin and trying to be artsy.

I have moved on past stuff like The Downward Spiral.  It just doesn't resonate with me any more.

With Teeth was laughably bad, except for two decent songs (the first and last on the album).
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Scytale

« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2007, 01:05 »

"The Fragile" and "Pretty Hate Machine" are the Two NIN albums I own, I picked both of them up on a whim a few years ago, it's not the stuff I usually listen to but i don't mind them terribly. I'd have to say I like Pretty Hate Machine slightly more. I've heard from a few people that I'd propably like "Downward Spiral" as well so I guess I'll throw it out there, worth getting or not, especially for a casual fan,

this is the sort of stuff I usually listen to...

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2007, 03:30 »

Oh yeah, and Fixed is really awesome, but obviously that has more to do with other people than with Trent...

I seem to remember Further Down the Spiral being okay too.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2007, 05:49 »

this is the sort of stuff I usually listen to...

You ever listened to much/any of Aborym, Red Harvest or Thee Maldoror Kollective? Industrial black metal, very good stuff.

Scytale

« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2007, 22:55 »

I have a copy of "Fire Walk With Us" , its not bad, haven't heard either of the other two bands though.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #38 on: 22 Feb 2007, 00:05 »

I suggest you pick up copies of Aborym's 'With No Human Intervention', Thee Maldoror Kollectives 'New Era Viral Order' and Red Harvests 'Sick Transit Gloria Mundi', in that approximate order.

AnonymousNoob

« Reply #39 on: 05 Apr 2007, 00:04 »

Album up for listening:

http://yearzero.nin.com/

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #40 on: 05 Apr 2007, 04:10 »

definatly better than i was expecting at least based on the leaked tracks...i dunno it seems to work better cohesivly then individually...but then alot of albums do that and they're generally the better ones

normz

« Reply #41 on: 05 Apr 2007, 04:55 »

love love love nine inch nails

am dying for the new albumn and I ca't wait to see them live in May

I'm assured it will be panty-wettingly good

Gridgm

• Beyoncé