THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 13:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hope of the States?  (Read 2706 times)

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
Hope of the States?
« on: 01 Apr 2007, 17:37 »

I was recommended an album by these guys from a friend who knows I'm into post-rock. A had heard of them before, so I checked them out. I can't find much on them except for their Wikipedia entry.
Any opinions on them? I'd like to listen before I buy.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Hope of the States?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2007, 07:36 »

EVERYONE ELSE SHUT UP.

HOTS are one of my favourite bands ever.

Here's you guide:

First of all, there's a website called www.forwardirektion.com (if that's wrong, ask me again) which has almost all of their early EPs and demos on it for free, endorsed by the band. Don't take 'demos' to mean low-budget though; these guys have a violin in their lineup already, so their demos are often more elaborate than many people's studio albums.

They've actually broken up now, but they did carry on when their guitarist died in 2004. Their first album is called The Lost Riots, and in my humble opinion is one of the best of recent years. The Godspeed comparisons are legitimate, because HOTS are basically Godspeed having reeled in their indulgence and adding vocals. The one song I recommend you download to get into them first (it's not on the site but I'm sure you have your ways) is 'Black Dollar Bills.' It's seven minutes long, the last four being one big crescendo, and is more or less their definitive tune. If you like that song, then you'll like the band, and vice versa.

Their second album. Left, is...well, I was disappointed with it. In fact, I'll just give you the link to my review of it.[/shameless plug] - http://www.rockmidgets.com/releases.php?page=3&id=1226

They also had a limited edition vinyl EP in 2006 called Blood Meridian; its three b-sides are in my opinion all better than anything on their second album, so if you want I can send you them.

After that they split up. Frankly, the sales never matched the acclaim.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2007, 16:33 by DynamiteKid »
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2007, 08:53 »

I wasn't suggesting that the inulgence was a bad thing, you know. HOTS are still indulgent, I love Godspeed and my favourite band is Pink Floyd fer chrissakes.

TTK

« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2007, 14:53 »

I agree with what Dynamite Kid said, The Lost Riots is an excellent album. Though I thought that Left was a pretty good album as well, just not AS good as The Lost Riots.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #4 on: 03 Apr 2007, 16:22 »

Yeah, I kinda went out and bought the album. So far I'm liking it a good deal. I can definitely see the GY!BE indulgence, hahahah. That isn't a bad thing though, and the singing, well, that surprised me at first. It sounds as if they took GY!BE, decided to scrap it all and make song adaptations instead, like a book you read, then watch it's respective film, and the film has added scenes, Hugo Weaving plays the supporting role so his character gets a bigger part, and the ending is a bit different. You kind've have to look at them as two seperate entities though, so after two listens, I think I really like this cd. Could I see that ep please?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr 2007, 11:28 »

I'll PM you my MSN and I'll send it to you if you like.

You are aware that Lost Riots has a hidden track, right? One of the best ones on it, and probably the darkest.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #6 on: 04 Apr 2007, 20:36 »

Yeah, I heard the track. I saw the length of the last song, and when, after about five minutes I started to hear endless nothing, I skipped ahead hoping for a hidden track. It was more rewarding than the hidden track at the end of the first Tenacious D album, which I enjoyed almost six years ago as a youngin'.

UnmadeBed

« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr 2007, 01:46 »

Fantastic live band, but ultimately failed on record, their singer had a really weak voice unfortunately. However, several members have now gotten together and formed The Troubles, who sound a little promising, aslong as they don't head down the indie song writing lane that HOTS did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up