THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 03:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Actor - As the Curtain Rises. What next?  (Read 10716 times)

West

• Plantmonster
Bad Actor - As the Curtain Rises. What next?
« on: 26 May 2008, 17:55 »

Some of you may remember my band's poorly recorded demos from a couple months back. They were absolutely awful.

However, since then we've acquired the assistance of a small time label here in Orlando and have produced an eight track full-length album. We also have a state-wide tour in the mix for several major cities in Florida and Savannah Georgia for this August.

The purpose of this thread, what do ya'll think we should do next promotion-wise to get this album out there? Our label is getting CDs pressed to sell at shows, and is going to setup our album to be sold on both iTunes and Amazon sometime this week.

Currently we have two tracks from the album up on our myspace as a preview of the album. Our myspace is located here: www.myspace.com/badactororlando.

We are all currently University students enrolled at the University of Central Florida and Valencia Community College, but we'd like to send our CD around to a couple larger labels to get a bit more publicity and possibly a national tour once we all finish school.

BONER WARS give me your feedback on the two songs and your input for band progression!

West

• Plantmonster
Re: Bad Actor - As the Curtain Rises. What next?
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2008, 20:15 »

krakens have tentacles

As opposed to fins right? The song is written half from the perspective of an illiterate 1940's American soldier, and half from an illiterate French commoner living in Normandy.

Mars

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 21:31 »

Also, you've spelt Bruce Campbell's name incorrectly.

I'd say see how the tour goes before making any big plans.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 21:34 »

No one is better than Bruce Campbell................no one.  I take only a slight issue with the vocals because I feel that even if I had a lyrics sheet I still wouldn't know what the hell was being sung.  I could find myself digging this if I really listened to it for a while.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2008, 00:31 »

I do appreciate that you called us BONER WARS though. I liked the early Bad Actor demos I heard, I'll check this out later.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2008, 01:09 »

Congrats West.

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2008, 03:24 »

Also, you've spelt Bruce Campbell's name incorrectly.

I'd say see how the tour goes before making any big plans.

Noted and adjusted appropriately. =)

Thanks for the input, we're really excited for the tour.

I do appreciate that you called us BONER WARS though. I liked the early Bad Actor demos I heard, I'll check this out later.

Really? These won't disappoint then =).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2008, 03:43 »

The demos were poorly recorded, but I saw a lot of promise, so I'm trying to convince my boss to let someone at the website I write for review your album. If you want a review, that is. You may well end up having to send a CD to Britain.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2008, 04:02 »

Sending CDs out to magazines (web and print) is a very good idea. Make sure you know a little about the places you're sending them though. There's no point sending a CD somewhere that doesn't cover metal, or to a 'zine that's exclusively DIY if that's not what you're about. It might also be a good idea to get involved in some online communities that have a lot of people involved in your kind of music in your area (or just people involved who'd appreciate your kind of metal). I post on a couple of forums that have lots of other musicians and promoters from my area that are into the same kind of music I play, and it makes getting gigs and word out about a release much easier.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2008, 04:10 »

FWIW, the site I write for covers rock/punk/metal/hardcore and a bit of indie and pop too. Our current main feature is a big interview with Dillinger Escape Plan.

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2008, 06:25 »

The demos were poorly recorded, but I saw a lot of promise, so I'm trying to convince my boss to let someone at the website I write for review your album. If you want a review, that is. You may well end up having to send a CD to Britain.

That would be absolutely astounding. What format would you like it? We're in the process of pressing the CDs now, but if you'd like MP3's I have those ready to send at any moment.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2008, 08:48 »

I'll let you know on myspace, chap. I've got your profile up there.

By the way, I do love that your musical style is listed as Metal/Metal/Metal.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2008, 09:13 »

You should change your genre tags to read Metal/Machine/Music
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2008, 09:19 »

I'll let you know on myspace, chap. I've got your profile up there.

By the way, I do love that your musical style is listed as Metal/Metal/Metal.

Will do my friend. On a sad note, it sucks that our album was finished A DAY BEFORE Sikth officially breaks up =(.

I've been bummed since this morning.

You should change your genre tags to read Metal/Machine/Music

Can you do that? That would be ill.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2008, 09:56 »

The quickest way to my heart for a band via their myspace page is if their music player doesn't start up automatically. But I don't know how other people feel about that.

Anyway, I like what I'm hearing thus far. I like the the bit in "Kracken of Normandy" when his voice goes screechy; there's a palpable sense of urgency, even if I don't really know what's going on in the story.

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2008, 10:19 »

Anyway, I like what I'm hearing thus far. I like the the bit in "Kracken of Normandy" when his voice goes screechy; there's a palpable sense of urgency, even if I don't really know what's going on in the story.

L'etrangers idiots du sont la bete
Maintenant il sont nwhar

Those are the lines in my attempt to misspell and mis-conjugate French. It reads "The strangers knew not of the beast. And now they will drown"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2008, 10:28 »

SIKTH BROKE UP?

Okay, that sucks.

You know what? I fucking hate it when you wait two years for a band's follow up album and then the bastards split up, so you were waiting for nothing.

But I hate it even more when my favourite bands split up.

The quickest way to my heart for a band via their myspace page is if their music player doesn't start up automatically. But I don't know how other people feel about that.

I agree, and not just with bands either.

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2008, 10:37 »

I agree, and not just with bands either.
[/quote]

Noted and amended. What's a way I can internet talk to you? AIM, MSN?

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2008, 10:58 »

I'm not sure if you were talking to DynamiteKid or me, but just in case it was me, you can find me on AIM, sn = darklink7843. BUT: not now. I actually have to go out in a couple minutes.

Edit: wait a second, nwhar isn't a word is it? Is that just an onomatopoeia for a scream?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2008, 11:00 by De_El »

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2008, 11:08 »

I'm not sure if you were talking to DynamiteKid or me, but just in case it was me, you can find me on AIM, sn = darklink7843. BUT: not now. I actually have to go out in a couple minutes.

Edit: wait a second, nwhar isn't a word is it? Is that just an onomatopoeia for a scream?

That's what the villager is trying to convey, but it's coming from the mouth of an illiterate citizen of Normandy watching a giant sea monster beat the shit out of fuel propelled boats.

Scream = Painful sounding drowning

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2008, 09:04 »

You can drop me an email at my username plus '@gmail.com'.

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2008, 17:10 »

You can drop me an email at my username plus '@gmail.com'.

Awesome, will do.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2008, 17:21 »

For a metal band, "Bad Actor" is a rather bizarre name. It's almost like calling an indie rock band "Cannibal Corpse", well, that's an extreme example but you might get my point. In all seriousness, have you considered changing your band's name?

Otherwise, do the usual; send your record out to webzines (and normal zines for that matter), find the biggest metal sites on the net and offer a free promo or two, give out a teaser EP or something at festivals; do some of that networking shite on Myspace that is supposed to work really well, play a lot of gigs, perhaps murder someone or set a few churches on fire for extra publicity.

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2008, 17:48 »

For a metal band, "Bad Actor" is a rather bizarre name. It's almost like calling an indie rock band "Cannibal Corpse", well, that's an extreme example but you might get my point. In all seriousness, have you considered changing your band's name?

Otherwise, do the usual; send your record out to webzines (and normal zines for that matter), find the biggest metal sites on the net and offer a free promo or two, give out a teaser EP or something at festivals; do some of that networking shite on Myspace that is supposed to work really well, play a lot of gigs, perhaps murder someone or set a few churches on fire for extra publicity.

Change our name? No. We aren't violent enough to have a name like most metal bands here in Orlando like Nailshitter.

And as for the advice, I've been doing the little myspace promo I know how to do. And we're going to be on a compilation sold on Summer of Slaughter's stop in New Jersey as our labelmates The Informant are playing that show in June.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2008, 17:54 »

Also: If you want a review on The Metal Archives and The Metal Observer, send me an upload of your album.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2008, 17:56 »

This is by no means the route to stardom, just a little something I picked up from previous bands-

Leave a copy of your CD with every soundguy you play with (a promo/burned one, not one with costly packaging). Buy them a beer, or at the least, be friendly! Quite often they only have a small pile of CDs for house music between sets, and will chuck your album on at other gigs if they like it.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2008, 18:00 »

Also: If you want a review on The Metal Archives and The Metal Observer, send me an upload of your album.

We're going to re-mix it this weekend hopefully to turn the snare up on a couple tracks. A couple listens through and I noticed it drowning out a bit.

Will it be okay if I get it to you after that?

This is by no means the route to stardom, just a little something I picked up from previous bands-

Leave a copy of your CD with every soundguy you play with (a promo/burned one, not one with costly packaging). Buy them a beer, or at the least, be friendly! Quite often they only have a small pile of CDs for house music between sets, and will chuck your album on at other gigs if they like it.

Playing metal, stardom is nearly a decade away for me. But thanks I will carry a bunch with me to hand out to soundmen. =)

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2008, 18:48 »

We're going to re-mix it this weekend hopefully to turn the snare up on a couple tracks. A couple listens through and I noticed it drowning out a bit.

Will it be okay if I get it to you after that?

No problem; I'm going up north tomorrow, though, so I won't be able to get a review up for you for at least 2 weeks. Please to be making the tracks 192 kbps or more, too.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2008, 18:53 »

You know you can set the player setting so they don't do that in your account setting, right?  Or are you not on Myspace?

West

• Plantmonster
« Reply #29 on: 28 May 2008, 19:06 »

You know you can set the player setting so they don't do that in your account setting, right?  Or are you not on Myspace?

I changed the player setting earlier.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2008, 19:30 »

Playing metal, stardom is nearly a decade away for me. But thanks I will carry a bunch with me to hand out to soundmen. =)

Don't be so down... With a metal band, you could win Eurovision one day!
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Mars

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #31 on: 29 May 2008, 05:16 »

L'etrangers idiots du sont la bete
Maintenant il sont nwhar

Those are the lines in my attempt to misspell and mis-conjugate French. It reads "The strangers knew not of the beast. And now they will drown"

That's not actually how it reads at all. What you have there translates to:

The idiot strangers from are the beast
Now they are nwhar

Which has a sort of poetry to it anyway.

Metal isn't really my thing (shock! horror!) but you guys do have a tight sound, so that's positive. Sending out CDs for review is definitely a good idea. Sell lots of merch, and don't sign anything that requires you to give up creative control (which is pretty much everything from a major label).

I like to work a couple of covers into my sets. Not a lot, but a song or two, so that even people who've never heard my stuff can have something that they recognize. People have more fun when they hear songs they know. Of course, I play blues and the idea of covering another musician's song in blues is pretty well accepted; I saw Clapton a couple of days ago and he did a few. I don't know if it's really the done thing in metal.

Make your music available through every avenue possible, including myspace, youtube and possibly torrents. Right now exposure trumps profits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up