THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any budding authors among us?  (Read 17444 times)

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: Any budding authors among us?
« Reply #50 on: 16 May 2007, 22:24 »

I know someone who does something like that.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #51 on: 16 May 2007, 23:53 »

I'm attempting to write a fantasy novel at the moment, my only problem is that it's way too long and way to involved and it's already 70 000+ words which is bad when you consider that I've done about 3 out of the 15 'sections' of the book.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #52 on: 17 May 2007, 08:24 »

...Why do you think the words "sequal", "trilogy" and "series" were created? Duh.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #53 on: 18 May 2007, 07:27 »

That would be fine if this wasn't already the first of a trillergy. I thought about breaking it up again into a trillergy of trillergies but that would just be lame and the story would have to be altured seriously for it to work, so it looks like it's going to be really long then edited seriously.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

the_shankmaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Sweet Niblets
« Reply #54 on: 20 May 2007, 01:26 »

I write.  I used to write anime fan fiction and band fiction, and I went trhough a period whee I wrote slash exclusively.  I know write only original characters.  I have several sets of characters that I write random stuff about.  I had a space pilot in the military.  I have a family of half-demon children.  I have a singer-song writer with dead parents.  I have a dyslexic drummer and his band.  I have A Mexican college student and his roommates.  I write about some more than others.  I have a community on livejournal where I post stuff.  Traffic is... non-existent.  I kind of miss writing bandslash because I used to get a lot of feedback then, but I know it's jsut because of all the fan service I was doing.  I'm such a feedback whore.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #55 on: 21 May 2007, 12:45 »

You're not alone in that.  Almost all of us writers crave feedback in some form or another.

We're fiends for it.

:lol:
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

quietfox

« Reply #56 on: 21 May 2007, 13:54 »

I've been a budding author for about 13 years. I like to write short stories and do nanowrimo. It's amazing and dorky and I love it.

Most of my writing is trying to emerge from the angsty teenager stuff, and usually takes a tremendous tone of sarcasm. I decided never to let my imagination die, so sometimes people think I do drugs. It's fun times.

I've been in a rut lately, but writing is one of my favorite things to do ever.

the_shankmaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Sweet Niblets
« Reply #57 on: 21 May 2007, 17:37 »

Well, if anyone is bored or wants to do me a favor, I post most of my short stuff here and here.  I'm trendy_rocker.  Many are cross-posted to both communities.  If you end up liking my style, I have a couple 18-pagers I could send you.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2007, 12:35 by the_shankmaster »
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

Narr

« Reply #58 on: 22 May 2007, 02:08 »

I totally need to get around to reading everything mentioned in this thread while I wait around to get a call-back from places I app'd to.

TimA

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #59 on: 22 May 2007, 08:48 »

I'm a writer! Yee!

I've appeared almost exclusively in Interzone, which is sort of a big deal in the UK and Europe, but not so much anywhere else in the world. That work has snagged the attention of a couple editors and an agent, so I'm being pressed to finish a novel. It's...going. Slowly. Day job and stress make creative output difficult.

Scytale

« Reply #60 on: 02 Jun 2007, 06:29 »

I had these big plans to write this whole manifesto type thing, was going to be like a complete summary of all my political and philosophical beliefs. I was going to try and fill it up with a lot of short allegories and aphorisms and all those types of things kind of like "Beyond Good and Evil". I wrote about 6,000 words or so and then realized 2 things, firstly it it was very self indulgent and secondly it was a lot harder then I thought it would be. I still cull bits and pieces from it every so often when I'm writing song lyrics but for the most part it's pretty much dead in the water.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #61 on: 02 Jun 2007, 15:59 »

Oh man, I just got a poem published in my school lit mag. It's my big break. Or something.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #62 on: 03 Jun 2007, 18:58 »

I do a lot of creative writing, actually.  It's what's allowing me to pass English this yeah (my teacher takes it all as extra credit).  Apparently it's good because I'm known by most of the English department and the school editors who do the lit magazine.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #63 on: 04 Jun 2007, 01:29 »

I'm a budding author who's terrified of trying to become a real one.

I wrote a story last year (originally intended as a short story to pass my lunch hours, the 5 chapter story ended at 22 chapters and 80,000 words, with plans for another three books to follow it), and gotten enough positive feedback from people who aren't related to me to wonder about trying to get it published.

I just need to work up the guts to send it of and deal with the inevitable rejection letters.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jun 2007, 14:02 »

I'm poet, with no-illusions of my poerty making me famous or anything. its just nice enough to publish a poem in a book anthology or mag, and getting a few bucks for it.
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up