THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 02:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Number 23  (Read 8388 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
The Number 23
« on: 25 Feb 2007, 16:27 »

Any of you guys see this one yet?  I watched it today and I very much enjoyed it; I never really thought much of Jim Carey as a comic actor, but he's one of my favorites when he's doing the semi-serious role.  I quite liked a lot of the elements of this movie, from the casting to the story, to the visuals and imagery.  8/10, will buy it when it comes out.

Your thoughts?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: The Number 23
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2007, 16:30 »

Haven't seen it yet, but really want to.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2007, 17:56 »

I want to see it. Both Jim Carrey in a non-comedic role and the creepy previews intrigue me.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2007, 20:12 »

Well, I had just previously smoked a lot of pot, and was in an almost hallucinogenic state when I got to the theatre.  The movie's weird camera shots would set me off a few times, but I did like the whole thing quite a lot.  Very linear, right up until the ending.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2007, 20:17 »

Jim Carey does a great job in unexpectedly serious roles, and I am very much looking forward to seeing him in this.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2007, 23:08 »

I want to see it. Both Jim Carrey in a non-comedic role and the creepy previews intrigue me.

seconded, though I may never actually see it

Stayc

• Plantmonster
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2007, 08:05 »

I saw it yesterday, and loved it.  I'm not a Carey fan- but I was quite impressed with how he took on the roll and nailed it.

Our movie started at 12:30ish.  We walked out and it was, no lie, 2:21.  I wanted to cry... but only on the inside.
You gotta walk before you crawl... reverse that.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2007, 09:33 »

this is quite bizarre as i had expected nothing but an awful awful generic shitfest from this movie. i'm almost tempted to see it in secret.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Lukeypoo

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2007, 09:48 »

Agreed, I really wanted to see this movie, but I read a bunch of terrible reviews about it in the paper & online. Plus, Joel Schumacher is really hit and miss. He's directed some great and some terrible movies. ie. Phonebooth vs. Batman & Robin.

Now I'll try and see it before the week is up. I really like Jim Carrey in serious/semi serious roles. He can always justify his existence as an actor by just saying, "Remember, I was in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2007, 14:17 »

I think Jim Carrey will do well, no matter what. My problem is that.. everything else about the movie looks very blah and ho-hum.
Hate, rain on me

The Unknown

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2007, 17:59 »

I very much enjoyed this film. Well, after seeing it in full. To be honest, up until the half way point, it felt kinda bland with the emphasis on numerology. But then it got interesting. I won't spoil it, but the last half makes the first half much more interesting. What I'm trying to say is that, as a whole, the movie is good. Don't walk out. See it all. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do.

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #11 on: 04 Mar 2007, 15:01 »

Saw the trailer on the interweb today! Have to admit it looks pretty good so might go check it out on Wednesday!

I liked Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind....it seems he is moving away from the comedy genre!

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #12 on: 04 Mar 2007, 15:18 »

I saw it on friday. (The second of the third, dun dun dun!) I thought it was really, good, especially considering Jim Carrey being in it, I've generally avoided his films, but I'm glad I saw this one. Throughout the film, it was consistently just about clever enough for me to be figuring things out, but not all of it.
I wouldn't say it's my favourite movie that I've seen this year (because Blood Diamond was absoloubtly incredible) but it is certainly something that I would recommend to anyone wanting a film that's easy to watch, but still interesting.
Also, you see the number 23 everywhere after you leave the cinema.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #13 on: 04 Mar 2007, 21:07 »

As soon as we left the theatre, we were talking about Dr. Pepper's 23 flavors.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

thepugs

« Reply #14 on: 05 Mar 2007, 10:20 »

I saw it Saturday.  I definitely enjoyed it, considering it had been a while since I really enjoyed a movie in theaters.

I think Carrey's quirky/wiggy personality helps the seriously roles he takes on - in both Eternal Sunshine and in this.  I don't know if he'll ever be more than 'the crazy guy' unless he starts taking some dramatic roles that don't involve that.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #15 on: 05 Mar 2007, 10:56 »

I'd like to see it.
I'd like to see Carey get back to his comedy-genre fan base though... He was the best.
Steve Carell is a close second.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #16 on: 05 Mar 2007, 22:19 »

We need another Ace Ventura movie, folks.

rdalke

« Reply #17 on: 06 Mar 2007, 01:52 »

I thought the movie was good, not great.

It reminded me of Fight Club meets Sin City meets The Sixth Sense.

"Fingerling at the Zoo" ... That is all.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #18 on: 06 Mar 2007, 13:32 »

I saw it last night.  I thought it was a tad bit cheesy, and it took several plot twists that were just, well...rediculous, or something.  Also, it seemed incredibly short.  The whole thing about the number 23 being everywhere was pretty cool, if the movie had revolved more around that, than this stupid murder stuff it would have made it better, like the story from the book he reads, instead of the plot of the movie would have been great.  It reminded me a great deal of old noir movies.  At least the whole style of the book sequences did, with the narration and the black and white and dark feeling.  It wasn't half bad though.  I'd probably see it again.  :\   5/10

I guess i'm just a critic?  Or maybe it was a good movie?
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2007, 15:14 by imapiratearg »

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #19 on: 06 Mar 2007, 14:30 »

Havent seen the movie yet...but just out of curiosity is the book in the film available in reality?

Stayc

• Plantmonster
« Reply #20 on: 07 Mar 2007, 02:56 »

is the book in the film available in reality?

I don't think so.  I looked on Amazon just to be sure and didn't find it, but I can't really say why I don't think it's an actual book without giving away any of the plot.  The book is just made up, and a part of the movie.  At least, I think?
You gotta walk before you crawl... reverse that.

sjbrot

« Reply #21 on: 04 Apr 2007, 16:44 »

I'm rather adversed to seeing this movie. For one, the preview drove me a little nuts just because the words "twenty three" are repeated over and over again even in the preview.

Plus, every review I read - including one that refered to this movie as a "river of shit" - makes reference to the fact that this is Schumacher's twenty third feature film. Jesus. Each time I read it, it made me a little more bitter towards the film that could bring this about into the world. I kept on reading just to see if there would be one that didn't. I gave up early.

PS - The reviewer who wrote "river of shit"... well, that's the paraphrased version. She also wrote a review where she praised The Astronaut Farmer. Take from that what you will.

ilCorvo

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 05 Apr 2007, 21:51 »

I'm rather adversed to seeing this movie. For one, the preview drove me a little nuts just because the words "twenty three" are repeated over and over again even in the preview.

About ten to fifteen minutes into the movie it gets real old. Overall I liked it, The twists were obvious to me, No one really blew my away  but Carrey doesn't turn in a bad performance.
It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice.

Spinless

« Reply #23 on: 07 Apr 2007, 09:39 »

THAT WAS THE 23RD POST!

No, the reason you keep seeing the number 23 around is because you're now looking for it.
Just like that was the 23rd post, this is the 24th. There were 22 post before the 23rd.

But you're not looking for the number 22 or 24, just 23. So that's what stands out.

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #24 on: 07 Apr 2007, 10:47 »

It's just like after i read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series I kept seeing the number 42 everywheres.

The extra letter

« Reply #25 on: 08 Apr 2007, 04:17 »

I'm more worried about the number 5, to be perfectly honest.

I wouldn't mind seeing this movie, now. NFI If it's been out in Aus yet or not, though.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #26 on: 08 Apr 2007, 06:46 »

5 is just 2 + 3

The extra letter

« Reply #27 on: 08 Apr 2007, 15:47 »

Yarrp, it so is!
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up