THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 12:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best/Worst Songs from the Same Artists or Bands  (Read 7180 times)

Johnny Evilguy

Time to come clean, all songs can't be solid gold... name at least one or what you consider is their Best song, and one that absolutely made your ears explode from its horrendous sound.

Hopefully, if the tracks or artists sound foreign to you, you will listen to them for yourselves.

So I present you the Best and Worst works from the same artists thread...

I'll start it off with one of my favorite metal bands:

Name: Megadeth

Best song: Holy Wars... Punishment Due
Album: Rust in Peace

-It was a close call to Peace Sells but whos' buying, however the rapid fire guitar use won this fight; I especially like the "half and half" lyrics: One half of the song talked about religious conflict, then after the bridge goes to the life of Marvel's "The Punisher" series.

Worst Song: Promises
Album: The world needs a Hero

- This was about as emotional metal as you can get, Mustaines' vocals don't strike as ones for sappy ballads... I don't particularly listen to Megadeth to be reminded of past relationship problems or if it has, it has to be done to make me forget about it, not to wallow in the memory (Tornado of Souls had the same subject matter but I ignored it because of the constant changing blood flow as I head banged for a full 3-4 minutes).

Hopefully this gets the ball rolling, so go on people, praise and critique (I am not a music critic so yeah I know my reasons are crappily written).

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Best/Worst Songs from the Same Artists or Bands
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2007, 13:49 »

Smashing Pumpkins.

Best: "Geek USA".  That song kicks ass all over the fretboard and has great lyrics.
Worst: Everything after Mellon Collie.  Seriously, what the fuck happened?
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2007, 14:02 »

I'll bite:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Best: There She Goes, My Beautiful World
Worst: Right Now I Am A-Roamin'

The Beatles:
Best: A Day In The Life
Worst: Dig It

Eminem:
Best: White America
Worst: Big Weenie

Green Day:
Best: Jaded
Worst: Wake Me Up When September Ends

Hope of the States:
Best: Black Dollar Bills
Worst: Bonfires

That should do for now.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2007, 14:08 »

Name: Megadeth

Best song: Holy Wars... Punishment Due
Album: Rust in Peace

Sweet call, Peace Sells is a sweet song as are others (Hanger 18, Rust in Peace...Polaris, In My Darkest Hour).

Worst song I havn't heard TWNAH much but I think the Anarchy in the UK cover is worse, or maybe some of Risk.

Green Day:
Worst: Wake Me Up When September Ends

God I HATE THAT SONG! Seriously Green Day American Idiot is one of your best albums but this song blows.

I shall continue the thread:

Name: Metallica

Best song: Blackened

-Much of Puppets and Ride the Lightning runs it close but I just love this song. It has the aggression and the composure of a metal classic

Worst song: Bad Seed

-Alas it was difficult to choose the best song but sadly also hard to choose the worst. Post Black-album there has been some good Metallica songs (Hero of the Day, Frantic, Memory Remains) however there has been some atrocious ones. I chose Bad Seed because of the horrible guitar intro but it could have just as easily been any of Reload, Metallica's worst effort.[
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2007, 15:41 »

Metallica

Best

Ride the Lightning. This is how I choose to remember Metallica.

Worst

St. Anger. Proof that Metallica should drop their name and stop posing as some kind of metal gods when bands that are better than they ever were are basically unknown to just about eveyone. Kill the king, the king is dead, long live the king.

(Yes I am implying that Megadeth should be representative of heavy metal)

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2007, 16:19 »

Metallica

Worst

St. Anger

This wasn't their only bottom of the barrel shit, though it was pretty low, i really like the title track.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2007, 17:04 »

Wow tommy many of those titles I don't recognize, I'll find and give them a listen to see haha...

Eminem

Best: 313
Album: Infinite

-Infinite is probably an album nobody will buy, its a shame too, his style was way different than it is now. I still like the lyrical wordplay of 313 even though people probably won't like it because of its lack of beats. His flow is spot on though...

For example:
"You couldn't make the fans throw up their hands if they swallowed their
fingers

But you can bring yours let's see what you got
But don't front and never try to be what you're not

Cause you can be quick, jump the candlestick, burn your back
And f%#k Jill on a hill, but you still ain't Jack "

-Its better to let you listen to it yourself haha

Common

Best: The Light
Album: Like water....

-Song talking about the girl he loves, yeah its a recycled concept with Common but its one of those feel-good rap songs that you play after you forget the girl's birthday, anniversery, or wedding date and she's a rap fan. Gets me out of a jam  :laugh:

Worst: Go!
Album: Be
- Kanye's voice is god damn annoying...
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2007, 17:05 by Johnny Evilguy »

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2007, 17:13 »

You must hate most of Be then.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Mr u Suk

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2007, 18:26 »

LadyTron

Best: Commodore Rock

A plain sexy song with one of my fav Synth sound. There is no way to explain the song other than amazing with a capital A

Worst: The Crappy half of Witching Hour

International Dateline, Soft Power, AMTV, Last One Standing, Beauty*2, and WhiteLightGenerator fell waaaaaay below my expectations. just really bad IMO

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2007, 19:36 »

The Knife.

"Girls' Night Out" is a song that is absolutely necessary to hear by the Knife. It contains a perfect example of their method of lyrics writing and the"pop with a twist" sound that is found throughout much of their music.

"Vegetarian Restraunt" is a pretty silly song that is pretty much the same little guitar chord played over and over with a backround beat that changes maybe once or twice through about two minutes of song. It sounds nothing like the Knife normally sounds, and not in a good way. It is just a silly filler of a song.
Hate, rain on me

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2007, 21:25 »

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Best: There She Goes, My Beautiful World
Worst: Right Now I Am A-Roamin'

Pretty Much
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2007, 21:28 »

Drive Like Jehu:
Best-  LUAU
Instrumentation builds up to one of the most beautiful and mind-blowing choruses ever.
Worst- Step on Chameleon
Bland structure, half-assed math.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2007, 04:28 »

This wasn't their only bottom of the barrel shit, though it was pretty low, i really like the title track.

I chose the title track because it summed up what has happened to this "metal" band - they've become punky to appease the teenage market. Out of the other songs I couldn't choose the shittiest, so the title track seemed the best bet.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2007, 09:56 »

They just didn't give a shit, man.

Especially about the sound of their snare drum.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2007, 10:09 »

'St. Anger' could be conceived as punky in a good way in that they did what the shit they wanted regardless of popular opinion. But that's not the argument that was being levelled, and I don't know what the fuck they meant.

Wow tommy many of those titles I don't recognize, I'll find and give them a listen to see haha...

Eminem

Best: 313
Album: Infinite

-Infinite is probably an album nobody will buy, its a shame too, his style was way different than it is now. I still like the lyrical wordplay of 313 even though people probably won't like it because of its lack of beats. His flow is spot on though...

For example:
"You couldn't make the fans throw up their hands if they swallowed their
fingers

But you can bring yours let's see what you got
But don't front and never try to be what you're not

Cause you can be quick, jump the candlestick, burn your back
And f%#k Jill on a hill, but you still ain't Jack "

-Its better to let you listen to it yourself haha

I wasn't aware that Infinite was commercially available.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2007, 11:29 »

Big Star

Best: "Feel"

Just a stellar track, there is nothing wrong with it and everything comes together perfectly.

Worst: "Downs"

I have no idea what happened on Third/Sister Lovers, but a good portion of it is just awful.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2007, 12:50 »

Well commercially as in constantly stocked then no, however if you go to record specialty shops... you have a better chance.

I got my copy of Em's Infinite at Amoeba Records in Los Angeles; I was shocked, it was sealed and everything. I questioned whether the CD is real (because its easy to re-shrink wrap and burn CDs these days), so I checked the CD excerpt and how it was pressed and assumed it so; the price tag of $ 3.99 was also influential to the purchase.

Soundgarden

Best: Outshined
Album: Badmotorfinger

Stellar track, good combination of vocals and beats,

Worst: Black Hole Sun
Album: Superunknown

this one can be argued, when my friends and I hang out at our pub and BS about music, they swear on their CD collections that  Black Hole Sun is the best track from Soundgarden.

My problem is, when it came out around 94, it was overplayed. Then again so was Outshined... but even today's radio, BHS gets more airplay than any of the other radio hits combined so it got bland to me.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2007, 17:48 »

Deerhoof

Worst- 'Kneil' from The Man, The King, The Girl

You kind of had to assume that Deerhoof's first album would be a lo-fi noisy mess with little valleys of melody thrown in, but that doesn't help explain the final album track (most versions of The Man today include a few live tracks with awful fidelity). 'Kneil' is 22 seconds long, but that's not why it's bad. It's just Satomi half-heartedly singing some incomprehensible words with some barely audible feedback. Hardly even a song, but still crap.

Best- 'Spirit Ditties of No Tone' from The Runners Four

This was the track where I finally got what Deerhoof was about. It's everything you would or should love about Deerhoof in one song. I particularly love that the song ends, and then you get another minute or so of Deerhoof either tuning up or screwing around before they begin 'Scream Team' without missing a beat. It works so well in the context of the album--after the incredible barrage of the first seven songs, I picture Deerhoof having to fuddle around before they're ready for more.

johns320

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2007, 11:29 »

Pearl Jam

Worst-"Bugs" off Vitalogy.  Dear Mr. Vedder never do that again, EVER.  Thank you.

Best studio-Betterman
Best live-Daughter/Brick in the Wall

Beatles' worst has got to be "Revolution #9 or Wild Honey Pie or Honey Pie" and yet despite that the White Album is still the best album.

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2007, 11:51 »

Opeth
Best: Advent
Picking a favorite Opeth song is pretty hard considering how much I like them. I picked Advent because I think it has more "great" riffs than any other song by this band, the clean vocals are especially haunting, and the accoustic stuff is really beautiful. Some others I was tempted to pick include: The Moor, When, Face of Melinda, Moonlapse Vertigo, and The Drapery Falls.
Worst: The Grand Conjuration
Still a decent song, I guess, but it comes off as far too monotone, and some of the riffs are almost directly ripped from Blackwater Park. I also considered picking Weakness from the Damnation album, but it doesn't exist enough to bother me. Dirge for November is saved by the opening and closing.

King Crimson
Best: Starless
Easy pick really. One of the greatest pieces of music ever, utterly beautiful. Some others worth noting are Red, Lizard, Lark's Tongues in Aspic 1-4, and The ConstruKction of Light.
Worst: Thela Hun Ginjeet
Alternately, pick almost any other song off Discipline. I really hate gibberish lyrics, and this album is chock full of them. Frame By Frame and the closing track save this album from being unlistenable. Some other KC songs that kinda suck are The World's My Oyster Soup... and ProzaKc Blues, both off the album The ConstruKction of Light (an oddity because all the songs there are either awesome or suck, there is really no middle ground).

Lugwig Van Beethoven
Best: 3rd Symphony (stretching the definition of a "song")
I'm a total Beethoven fanboy, but this is has long been my favorite piece of his.
Worst: I think some of his violin quartets are a bit forgettable, other than that, maybe his 8th symphony...

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Best: Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls
Ahahah, this is like picking your favorite orgasm.
Worst: bbf3
I still like it quite a bit, but I feel it lacks the freedom of their other songs. Most times, the recorded speeches are included as something to add to the mood established by the music. In this case, it feels more like the music is included as a background for the ramblings of this crazy guy. I enjoy being able to let my mind roam in GYBE's songs, and I like the images I see in my head that the music helps to create. In this song, the images are already created for me. It's too tangible, and thus, less enjoyable for me.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2007, 11:55 by Technetium »

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #20 on: 15 Apr 2007, 11:53 »

Pearl Jam

Worst-"Bugs" off Vitalogy.  Dear Mr. Vedder never do that again, EVER.  Thank you.

Best studio-Betterman
Best live-Daughter/Brick in the Wall

Beatles' worst has got to be "Revolution #9 or Wild Honey Pie or Honey Pie" and yet despite that the White Album is still the best album.

Funny, I like 'Bugs', 'Revolution #9', and the Honey Pies. They are what those albums so interesting to me.

minkles

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2007, 16:35 »

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists:

Best: The Ballad of the Sin Eater
Just a brilliant song, in every way.

Worst: Bomb.Repeat.Bomb.
Wow.  Living With the Living is, as a whole, their worst album by far, but Bomb.Repeat.Bomb is on another level of awful.  This shit's unlistenable.  Like Rage Against the Machine gone worse.  Then comes the chorus, where they sound like The Offspring gone... even worse.  Throw in some of the most juevenile asinine political lyrics this side of Green Day and some random shouting, and you've got potentially one of the worst songs ever.  And it's by TED LEO, someone I had previously held in god-like reverence.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2007, 16:43 »

I hear a lot more Dismemberment Plan in "Bomb.Repeat.Bomb" than anything else.

minkles

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2007, 17:11 »

I guess.  But I've always hated The Dismemberment Plan as well.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2007, 19:38 »

Now we are fighting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up