Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 300  (Read 60330 times)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
Re: 300
« Reply #50 on: 07 Mar 2007, 00:13 »

I honestly doubt I would see a movie of 300 where Frank Miller was the actual writer or director. No real desire to have Leonidas say "What are you, retarded or something? I'm a goddamn Spartan."

SIG'D!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jotun

« Reply #51 on: 07 Mar 2007, 18:57 »

Definitely seeing this one in the IMax. Can't wait.

Narr

« Reply #52 on: 08 Mar 2007, 08:45 »

TOMORROW

HUGHLAALHGHLGLHGUHGLALLLALAHGHG

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #53 on: 09 Mar 2007, 17:58 »

Underwhelming, but we all knew it would be.

What was the purpose of that pit?

the_tard

« Reply #54 on: 09 Mar 2007, 22:36 »

My friend has a 5 hour at the theater the night it comes out. Would not want to be him right now. I think he is either doing tickets or concession.

Narr

« Reply #55 on: 10 Mar 2007, 00:59 »

Throwing Xerxes messenger down a well was in Heroditus, IIRC.

rdalke

« Reply #56 on: 10 Mar 2007, 02:13 »

My friend has a 5 hour at the theater the night it comes out. Would not want to be him right now. I think he is either doing tickets or concession.

I just sold tickets for 5 hours. Yay.

I invented a new word for the happenings of this movie. "Badassery"

As in, "This movie was all badassery."

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #57 on: 10 Mar 2007, 12:17 »

Holy crap! This movie was beyond awesome. It is indeed the very definition of "badass" in every single way. Will I see it again? Hell yeah. It's by far the best action movie I've seen in a long time.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #58 on: 10 Mar 2007, 12:26 »

Yup, it's knocked Conan the Barbarian off the top of my "Favorite Movies Ever" list. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #59 on: 10 Mar 2007, 14:07 »

It was pretty Sparta. Sorry, did I Sparta that? I just Sparta'd the Sparta Sparta Sparta.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

erwinkirby

« Reply #60 on: 10 Mar 2007, 15:28 »

I saw it opening night.  This movie was definitely not all I hoped for. 

erwinkirby

« Reply #61 on: 10 Mar 2007, 15:35 »

Also, It currently has a 61% rating.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/300/

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #62 on: 10 Mar 2007, 23:04 »

Exactly was I was hoping for. This movie drives into the realm of intensity and never looks back. It's well worth watching.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #63 on: 11 Mar 2007, 03:46 »

Do you want to know a trick for enjoying this film? I call it the Frank Miller Bar Lowering.

Accept that it's by Frank Miller and therefore it will be rather one dimensional. Suddenly the film seems a whole lot better!

Narr

« Reply #64 on: 11 Mar 2007, 03:57 »

If you go into the film thinking it's going to be something different than a graphic novel in movie format, you're silly.

I enjoyed the movie because that's what I was expecting, and was rewarded with.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #65 on: 11 Mar 2007, 06:30 »

Basically I am expecting insane amounts of violence, lots of extremely chiselled abs, and probably a whole lot of man-butt, if its anything like the comic.

I can't really say I am looking forward to this now, without sounding a little gay, but shit I am looking forward to this
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Lukeypoo

« Reply #66 on: 11 Mar 2007, 09:11 »

I enjoyed this movie. There were a bunch of douche bags behind us constantly talking though, so it was terribly difficult to really immerse myself in the more politically heavy scenes. But they seemed really dry to me.

I really loved how much it was like a graphic novel. The entire wolf scene with the narrator and when he's kneeling at the end just hit home to me. I was almost expecting to see it written in a little box in the upper corners of the screen. And the blood looked SO much like comic book blood yet not too fake. It was impressive. I'll probably but the DVD just to see some of the special features and have a testosterone fest if I feel the need.

As I said to my friend on the phone leaving the theater,
"I saw 300, I'm going to go jack off and eat steak now.  SPARTA!"

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #67 on: 11 Mar 2007, 15:41 »

Throwing Xerxes messenger down a well was in Heroditus, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it was something like the messenger said he was coming to take their land and water, and the dude kicked him down the well and was like "you will find plenty of water and land down there."  Even if that's not what it was, that is just BAD ASS.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Choco

« Reply #68 on: 11 Mar 2007, 17:16 »

"I saw 300, I'm going to go jack off and eat steak now.  SPARTA!"

I did 2/3s of that. Unfortunately, no pleasuring myself that night. I must say though, 300 was glorious.

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
  • Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
« Reply #69 on: 11 Mar 2007, 17:41 »

Just say this last night, and I have to say it was absolutely breathtaking to watch. Yes, it is very much like a graphic novel, but that's why it wokrs so well.  I am thinking that I will have to watch this movie again when it comes out on DVD and see if it transfers well to the small screen. I am hoping that I can still be as impressed as I was last night.
Life is not a constant thing,
It's only made of short stories.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #70 on: 12 Mar 2007, 01:32 »

I think my local IMAX has closed because it showed shit that no-one wanted to see.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #71 on: 12 Mar 2007, 10:36 »

My local IMAX webpage has the following:

PLEASE NOTE: 300: The IMAX Experience will not be opening at this location on March 9th.  We currently do not have plans to open this feature in the near future.

For other IMAX locations playing this film, please visit www.imax.com

The Kramer IMAX Theatre is one of only 250 IMAX Theatres in the world!

Watch your favourite Hollywood movie or take an adventure to a foreign land or even outer space on our eye-popping five-story high IMAX screen.

Now Playing:

Magnificent Desolation
- Only 12 have walked on the moon...you're next ! - Sponsored by CUETS

Deep Sea - Sea life in a whole new way

Ride around the World - Opens March 2nd, 2007 - Sponsored by Scotiabank

Awesome.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #72 on: 12 Mar 2007, 15:25 »

That sucks, is the movie really that lame?  Or are there other circumstances?

Revenge of the Nerd

« Reply #73 on: 12 Mar 2007, 16:38 »

Dude this movie was kick ass! Really though, if you go into the movie expecting it to be a drama oriented movie (like LOTR) then you'll be very displeased. IMAX probably doesn't want to play it because they know that their ginormos screens would only produce one thing... GINORMOUS BOOBS. Which is dumb on their part because this would probably be a major selling point.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #74 on: 12 Mar 2007, 18:13 »

The "other circumstances" are IMAX plays odious shit 9/10ths of the time.

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #75 on: 12 Mar 2007, 19:01 »

Woah, woah, woah Johnny. IMAX played a 3-D movie about the galpagos islands. That's pretty ace; you thought you could touch the tortoises.

Sadly, you could not; it was an illusion

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #76 on: 12 Mar 2007, 20:46 »

This movie was the fucking shit.  Oh man.
OH MAN.
The Phantom is SO ripped.

Fiddler

« Reply #77 on: 13 Mar 2007, 04:43 »

Finally saw it!  I have nothing of note to contribute except that I loved it.  Also Xerxes looked like he ate babies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Which means he's kinda creepy,  now that I think about it... it could just have been his gigantically long fingers that creeped me out more than anything else.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #78 on: 13 Mar 2007, 07:38 »

Okay, one thing that really, really annoyed me as a production guy whenever I saw Pan's Labrynth was the GODFUCKAWFUL effects they used on a lot of the vocals. The vocal effect that was used for Xerxes was damn near perfect...not too overdone, but just a subtle hint of FX processing that made him sound fucking majestic...it worked into the role of "a king that thought he was a god" quite well.

Other than that bit of professional nerdery, I loved this movie. It wasn't the greatest thing I've ever scene, but it was some badass motherfuckery for sure.

I also really, really loved Gerard Butler's accent in this movie. I can't place what it is exactly, but the way he enunciated his words was pretty slick.

Yeah, I really do pick up on weird shit like that.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

eveisdawning

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #79 on: 13 Mar 2007, 08:23 »

I saw this movie on Friday night, and oh my goodness it was gorgeous. Maybe not the most complex movie of all time, but just plain pretty to look at.

And goddamn, it was just fucking badass. (I wanted to see how much I could swear in that sentence. How'd I do?)
Without music, life would be a mistake. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #80 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:33 »

Okay, one thing that really, really annoyed me as a production guy whenever I saw Pan's Labrynth was the GODFUCKAWFUL effects they used on a lot of the vocals. The vocal effect that was used for Xerxes was damn near perfect...not too overdone, but just a subtle hint of FX processing that made him sound fucking majestic...it worked into the role of "a king that thought he was a god" quite well.
Man that is a really good point. They just deepened his voice to an extent where it was unsettling and slightly monstrous whereas yeah, Pan's Labyrinth had some silly sound-related parts. The overall sound of 300 was really great, though, and it really complimented the overall look and feel of the film; I guess that although its writing may not have been sterling, as an aesthetic experience it was an almost overwhelming film.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #81 on: 13 Mar 2007, 18:28 »

I didn't like Xerxes' voice.  It reminded me way too much of Chapelle's show, his Prince impression to be specific.
Who's with me?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #82 on: 14 Mar 2007, 14:13 »

The New York Times paned 300. I thought their review was awful, nitpicky, and took the movie far too seriously. I mean, they pointed out how all the enemies were brown skinned while all the good guys were white. Um....they're fucking PERSIANS you stupid fucks. Persians are arabs. Arabs have dark skin. Not to mention the fact that many of the enemies were monsters to begin with. Anyway, they said one thing that I did agree with: They refered to Xerxes as 'fey' and I couldn't agree more. Everything about that guy just bothered me, and not in a good "that guy is evil and psychotic way." His manner of speaking, his voice, his physical stance- it all annoyed me more than anything.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Jotun

« Reply #83 on: 14 Mar 2007, 19:55 »

Absolutely loved this flick. Everything about it was epic. If people are getting their panties in a knot over the historical inaccuracies, they really need to reevaluate the origin of the movie's depiction. Movie's are art after all.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #84 on: 14 Mar 2007, 22:16 »

Well the thing that a bunch of critics don't seem to be getting is that it's not based on the actual events, but rather on the graphic novel.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #85 on: 14 Mar 2007, 23:13 »

Wut?
I though Xerxes really was an eight foot tall contrabass wearing bodyglitter who had a penchant for hiring giant gray mongaloids to do his bidding.
Oh gosh.  I'm ruined.  Totally crushed.

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #86 on: 15 Mar 2007, 01:30 »

To be a Persian god-king, you've gotta dress accordingly. Even if that means wearing nothing but some rings and a gold codpiece.

Fiddler

« Reply #87 on: 15 Mar 2007, 08:02 »

Sadly, wearing some rings and a gold codpiece doesnt actually make you a Persian god-king, I checked.

Lukeypoo

« Reply #88 on: 15 Mar 2007, 09:23 »

Sadly, wearing some rings and a gold codpiece doesnt actually make you a Persian god-king, I checked.

SIG'D

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #89 on: 15 Mar 2007, 19:38 »

I also really, really loved Gerard Butler's accent in this movie. I can't place what it is exactly, but the way he enunciated his words was pretty slick.

Gerard Butler is scottish, and his accent would slip through from time to time. It made me quite amused.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #90 on: 15 Mar 2007, 22:45 »

"Slip through?"
The entire thing was a whole pile of Scottish.

Yankee6X

« Reply #91 on: 15 Mar 2007, 22:53 »

Gerard Butler, who was also the phantom in the Phantom of the Opera with Emmy Rossum, and the stooge in Timeline. So he can sing, travel through time, AND fight.

Very multi-talented guy.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #92 on: 15 Mar 2007, 22:55 »

Man Timeline was awful

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #93 on: 15 Mar 2007, 23:21 »

Hrm.

I guess they're giving Snyder Watchmen. I hope he does well with it.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2007, 23:24 by Johnny C »

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #94 on: 17 Mar 2007, 06:32 »

That movie was hard. I loved it.

Also.. who would Gerard Butler play in Watchmen? I can kind of see him doing Comedian or Dr. Manhattan... moreso with Comedian.
Hate, rain on me

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #95 on: 18 Mar 2007, 14:13 »

I've always rationalized the movie as such: it's a mythological retelling of the story, filtered through how oral tradition would have changed the story.

300 is to the Battle of Thermopylae as the Odyssey is to that fuck Odysseus getting lost at sea.

Then I saw it last night.

It was significantly more badass than that rationalization. Also, Xerxes is a Goa'uld. It was sweet.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Mnementh

« Reply #96 on: 18 Mar 2007, 18:18 »

The New York Times paned 300. I thought their review was awful, nitpicky, and took the movie far too seriously. I mean, they pointed out how all the enemies were brown skinned while all the good guys were white. Um....they're fucking PERSIANS you stupid fucks. Persians are arabs. Arabs have dark skin.

Ugh, if you're going criticize the review, get your facts right.  Persians are not Arabs, they're not even a Semitic people.  Persians are an ethnic group unto themselves, descended from the Aryan peoples of Central Asia (who also would settle the subcontinent).  They can be found in many places other than Iran.

Ethnic Persians can also be found outside of Iran and include the Tajiks and Farsiwan who can be found in Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and the Xinjiang province of China. Another group called the Tats lives mainly in the Caucasus region concentrated in Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Russian Dagestan. The Parsis, a small community in India, are also largely descended from Persian Zoroastrian refugees who fled from Persia following the Arab conquests."

Johnny, that argument doesn't hold water with me, because we have Herodotus' account of the battle.  This movie slanders not only Iranian history, but Athenian and Thespian history as well, [/url=http://www.livescience.com/history/070312_300_movie.html]while idealizing Sparta[/url].

300's Persians are ahistorical monsters and freaks. Xerxes is eight feet tall, clad chiefly in body piercings and garishly made up, but not disfigured. No need ? it is strongly implied Xerxes is homosexual which, in the moral universe of 300, qualifies him for special freakhood. This is ironic given that pederasty was an obligatory part of a Spartan's education. This was a frequent target of Athenian comedy, wherein the verb "to Spartanize" meant "to bugger." In 300, Greek pederasty is, naturally, Athenian.

This touches on 300's most noteworthy abuse of history: the Persians are turned into monsters, but the non-Spartan Greeks are simply all too human. According to Herodotus, Leonidas led an army of perhaps 7,000 Greeks. These Greeks took turns rotating to the front of the phalanx stationed at Thermoplyae where, fighting in disciplined hoplite fashion, they held the narrow pass for two days. All told, some 4,000 Greeks perished there. In 300 the fighting is not in the hoplite fashion, and the Spartans do all of it, except for a brief interlude in which Leonidas allows a handful of untrained Greeks to taste the action, and they make a hash of it. When it becomes apparent they are surrounded, this contingent flees. In Herodotus' time there were various accounts of what transpired, but we know 700 hoplites from Thespiae remained, fighting beside the Spartans, they, too, dying to the last man.

No mention is made in 300 of the fact that at the same time a vastly outnumbered fleet led by Athenians was holding off the Persians in the straits adjacent to Thermopylae, or that Athenians would soon save all of Greece by destroying the Persian fleet at Salamis. This would wreck 300's vision, in which Greek ideals are selectively embodied in their only worthy champions, the Spartans.

This moral universe would have appeared as bizarre to ancient Greeks as it does to modern historians. Most Greeks would have traded their homes in Athens for hovels in Sparta about as willingly as I would trade my apartment in Toronto for a condo in Pyongyang.

In any historical context the movie is laughable, at best.  If you regard it as a wholly fictional work, then it's a fun movie, the problem is, the film itself doesn't treat itself like that.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #97 on: 18 Mar 2007, 18:46 »

By the film's very existence it treats itself like that. If there's people out there who think half-a-ton executioners with blades for arms are part of a historically accurate movie, they should be culled from the Earth. It takes itself seriously within the context of the movie because within the context of the movie, whether the Persians are monsters or men, it's still serious. Whether Odysseus fought a 20-foot tall cyclops or a 5 foot man who lost an eye to a fishing accident, it's still serious.

I maintain that the movie wasn't a "Hollywoodized" version of history because it went far, far beyond Hollywood. It went into mythological territory. If Homer had told the story of Thermopylae, it would be closer to Miller/Snyder's version than Herodotus's.

It doesn't slanderize Athenians or Thespians or Iranians(seriously? Iranians?) any more than Spartans would have done so themselves. And it doesn't glorify Sparta any more than Herodotus does himself. If you want a fair and balanced(TM) look at the Greco-Persian wars, that's what the History Channel is for.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #98 on: 18 Mar 2007, 19:21 »

I was expecting the executioner guy to show up more than once. I was dissappointed. Also, I saw the movie Friday and had the oppurtunity to see it again today. I loved it. The first time was extremely enjoyable, and I could not stop giggling with glee throughout most of the movie.
Hate, rain on me

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #99 on: 18 Mar 2007, 19:53 »

Okay, so I'm going to try and put some things in perspective.

This is a MOVIE

Based off a GRAPHIC NOVEL

That was inspired by ANOTHER MOVIE

That was inspired by a TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE ACCOUNT

Of TRUE EVENTS.

And people here are arguing about its historical context?

Holy compacted anal cavities. Settle down.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up