THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 20:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oblivion: It took mah Soul.  (Read 6087 times)

Coming Home

Oblivion: It took mah Soul.
« on: 07 Mar 2007, 09:48 »

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is probably the most addictive game I've ever played. I'm Champion of Cyrodiil, Master of the Fighters Guild, Listener of the Black Hand, Archmage, and "The Gray Fox".

Seriously. The game robbed me of my soul. But it's worth it. The $60 were well spent. If anyone else has played it, impart to me your knowledge of the game, and other games capable of completely annihilating one's social life.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: Oblivion: It took mah Soul.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2007, 10:15 »

The prequel to Oblivion.  Morrowind is definitely outdated in terms of graphics and whatnot, but the depth and the sheer vastness of Vvardenfell, in my opinion, dwarfs Oblivion.  It's also significantly longer.  Oblivion is about 60 hours more or less, Morrowind plus its expansions will rob you of about 200+ hours of your life.

I could also say World of Warcraft, but that one's too obvious.

This is probably me just nerding out, but Bethesda should do something Valve-esque, and re-release Morrowind, redone with the Oblivion engine, updating controls and graphics, but leaving most of the core game the same. (I hated the fast travel in Oblivion, idk why).

I think i went off topic enough.

Coming Home

« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2007, 10:22 »

I beat Morrowind.
My mother hated me because I did nothing BUT play Morrowind.
And World of Warcraft is the "nerd's" equivalent of Myspace.
Both which I despise.
I've also noticed that a few other games have been robbing my of my soul. Like Condemned. But I had to stop playing that...the nightmares it induced kept me from sleeping.

JJMitchell

« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2007, 10:36 »

There is an old thread on this but its from the time of release basically.

I'm excited about the expansion which comes out at the end of the month and I haven't even beaten Oblivion yet.  Or gotten Knights of the Nine.

Coming Home

« Reply #4 on: 07 Mar 2007, 10:49 »

Hahaha. Yeah, I'm gonna get Knights of the Nine in a few weeks. And Shivering Isles just looks fun. I can't wait either.

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2007, 16:19 »

Oblivion looks great, and I had some fun playing it, but the ending sucks, and it has the least deep game play in the series (except maybe Arena, which I've never played).  Daggerfall has by far the deepest gameplay, but it was very buggy and graphically outdated even in its time, plus it's a DOS game, so it takes some work to get it to run on a modern game rig.

Coming Home

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2007, 16:41 »

You know, everyone is saying that the ending sucks, but I disagree. I was not good, but it was not as bad as...say...Crackdown.
I am wishing that I had played Daggerfall. That is getting far more recognition than any other Elderscrolls games.

Yankee6X

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2007, 22:02 »

Such a good game. Kept me addicted for a good 5 weeks, and then school came back and i cried. But i still go on and just go shooting stuff because i can.

Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2007, 11:18 »

I played it for a while and got bored because it really wasnt hard and when you got through a dungeon... there was nothing worth getting at the end of it most of the time.  I downloaded this mod for it recently though called Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul and it makes the game a whole hell of a lot better in my opinion.  It changes so many things that its really not worth me listing but heres the link:  http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/

Coming Home

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2007, 15:54 »

Now, I disagree with that statement. I'm at level 20, and I find very cool stuff in every dungeon. I'm still working on getting all of the Daedric armor set. Not only that, but I haven't yet maxed out all of my stats, and I like dungeon diving for that. Also, I've only completed one Daedric shrine, so I've got tons of rewards to reap from the others. The game is simply so expansive, that I cannot get through it all the way. I love it to death.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2007, 20:05 »

After playing morrowind for weeks of game time and thoroughly immersing myself in the world, Oblivion seemed short and shallow. There seemed to be none of the culture that Morrowind had in spades.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Coming Home

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2007, 12:05 »

An issue I have with Oblivion is the damn voice acting. They had, what? Twelve voice actors? It gets really sickening to hear the same shit over and over.

However, the new expansion, Shivering Isles, is something I'm truly looking forward to. A brand new plane of Oblivion? Crazy-ass folks on either side of the world that is split in half? Dropping millions of keys to drive adventurers insane? LORDSHIP OVER HALF OF A WORLD?!

It is a nerd's dream come true.

...Well shit, my social life is in the crapper as soon as that comes out...
...damn it.

J_Saunders

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2007, 23:40 »

It would have been great if it still had a levitate spell... My favorite way to fight in Morrowind was to become air born and kill off melee enemies from above. Being a fast moving archer was almost the same thing, but I missed having the freedom to go over nearly anything.

JJMitchell

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2007, 17:24 »

That was why there wasn't a levitate spell, it was too easy to never take damage by avoiding the mobs.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2007, 18:06 »

The leveling up mechanic was completely broken, and if you focused on putting invisibility enchants on all your armor you could quite literally waltz through the entire game without so much as a scratch.

Other than that, it was pretty fun.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2007, 18:24 »

How did you play through the game, anyone? By that I mean, how did your leveling up go?

I always screwed up my character by getting plus one in attributed and such when leveling up.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

J_Saunders

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2007, 18:47 »

I was an archer that focused on moving quickly. I found that usually, I would get multipliers in the stats I needed. I also kept track of how many skills dependant on a stat increased that level so I can decide if I should rest or not. If not, find a trainer to help out with that. I also found that I needed some strength to keep from being weighed down, so I would focus on melee combat every few levels.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2007, 19:39 »

I just play it, man.  I don't try to level up.   I walk around a bit, do a cave, a guild quest, sell some stuff, sit on a rock for five minutes.  One of my friends likes to hunt wild animals.  That's all he'll do.  And the first time my dad ever played it (keep in mind, the only other game he's played was Mario Kart 64), he attacked a guard and just tried to survive as long as possible.  In general, I don't treat it as something to beat.  It's something I just explore, even if I've already done it before.  Some of the landscaping in it (even with crappy draw distances/LOD) is just amazing.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Coming Home

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2007, 19:42 »

Yeah, if you just run around trying to level up, the game loses its magic. I just run around and do what I feel like doing, as well.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2007, 14:08 »

Last time I started a new character, I started a stealthy archery character, and killed someone right off the bat, without picking anything up in the first dungeon.

I then spent my time running away, surviving in the wilderness and fighting gaurds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up