C&C: Red Alert
C&C: Red Alert 2
C&C: Tiberian Sun
C&C: Renegade
C&C: Generals
C&C: Sole Survivor
C&C: Retaliation

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Command & Conquer  (Read 9095 times)

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
Command & Conquer
« on: 06 Mar 2007, 16:09 »

With Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars being released at the end of the month US & UK, the question of which is the best Command & Conquer so far has to be asked?

I have not included expansion packs onto the list but if you want to mention them go ahead!

Have to admit though the new C&C looks amazing:

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars Clip 1
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars Clip 2
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars Clip 3

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
Re: Command & Conquer
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2007, 16:40 »

I love Tiberian Sun to absolute bits. It just has an excellent atmosphere to it and the single player campaigns can keep me amused over and over again.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2007, 17:02 »

I stop caring about the C&C series after Red Alert. Mostly because I never had and currently don't have a good enough computer to run them, but partially because they keep getting such mixed reviews.

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2007, 18:15 »

The last one I played was Red Alert 2 because my computer couldn't run Generals when it was released.  Red Alert 2 was my favorite CC game, but I still like AoE2 and Rise of Nations more as far as RTS games go.

J_Saunders

« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2007, 22:28 »

Red Alert for the play station! It was the first video game that I really played. Before it, video games seemed like stupid wastes of time to me. I still remember setting up endless walls of tesla towers to watch infantry fry, stealing money or shutting down power with spies, or simply trying to destroy entire bases using Tanya alone! The music was great too. Not quite rock, not quite metal, but somewhere inbetween and perfect for that game! Yes... if not for this game, I may very well be a socially healthy person instead of sitting in a dark room with a computer monitor being my only source of light at the moment...

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 07 Mar 2007, 00:04 »

I'd have to say it's pretty much a tie between Tiberian sun and Red Alert 2.  I found Yuri's Revenge entertaining because mind controlling a Libyan demo truck and sending it back to your enemies always makes me feel warm inside. 
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Scytale

« Reply #6 on: 07 Mar 2007, 00:54 »

I'd go either Tiberian Sun or the original Red Alert, the original C&C was way to hard, I haven't played it for years but there was this one GDI mission I could never do where you had  commando and you had to take out a bunch of airfields...

ronin

« Reply #7 on: 07 Mar 2007, 10:58 »

Just blow up a different building - you'll get a mission next to raise it the old fashioned way.

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 07 Mar 2007, 12:43 »

Red Alert 2 goddamnit. I was really disappointed with RA1 and it made me very happy to see what they did with RA2. Besides, I could control fucking Giant Squids and killer Dolphins. What's not to like?!?!?

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #9 on: 07 Mar 2007, 16:59 »

I love this series of games more than is healthy. RA2 is my favorite, at least with Yuri's revenge. Yuri is quite fun to play with, though i must say i do love my chrono legionaires. So sweet.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2007, 17:06 »

PC Gamer was the first to review Tiberium Wars and gave it a very nice 90% (an editors choice award. For them, an 80% is still considered 'excellent'). Their complaints were a slightly tacked on alien campaign and action which eschews thoughtful strategizing and returns to the framtic rush strategies of earlier games in the series. All in all they had very good things to say though which is very exciting. It's a good year for RTSs. I agree with tartar, I felt Rise of Nations is better than all the C&C games. Red Alert 2 is my choice for best C&C game. For me though, no RTS has ever surpassed Age of Empires 2 and the Conquerors expansion.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 08 Mar 2007, 02:24 »

C&C, by far and away. ("Tiberian Dawn" if you like.) RA was a lot of fun, but for sheer awesomeness when it was released, you simply can't go past C&C.

Also, my favourite RTS to date is a toss-up between Warcraft III, Age of Mythology and Dawn of War.

ronin

« Reply #12 on: 08 Mar 2007, 17:57 »

I'm throwing Company of Heroes into the mix Cappy.

WelshPete

« Reply #13 on: 09 Mar 2007, 02:23 »

Red Alert 2 was my favourite! I always liked some of the final missions for both the Allies and Soviets as they became particularly challenging such as the Allied mission where you are transported in using the Chronosphere!

The feature where you can create new characters with your spies and by taking over their an apposing base was great cos you was able to create Uri Prime, Chrono Ivan, PSI Uri and Chrono Navy Seals.

I played C&C Renegade not long after it originally came out and its a first person shooter, completely different type of game  and it was just too easy to complete.

I have to admit since C&C and C&C Red Alert i have yet to come across a set of missions that really challenge you! I like the idea of Tiberium Wars where the  AI can be changed to attack in certain ways or to use completely random combinations of attacks cos originally you could pretty much guess how you would be attacked on other games!

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #14 on: 09 Mar 2007, 05:27 »

PC Gamer was the first to review Tiberium Wars and gave it a very nice 90% (an editors choice award. For them, an 80% is still considered 'excellent'). Their complaints were a slightly tacked on alien campaign and action which eschews thoughtful strategizing and returns to the framtic rush strategies of earlier games in the series. All in all they had very good things to say though which is very exciting. It's a good year for RTSs. I agree with tartar, I felt Rise of Nations is better than all the C&C games. Red Alert 2 is my choice for best C&C game. For me though, no RTS has ever surpassed Age of Empires 2 and the Conquerors expansion.

I always thought the lack of strategy was the best thing about Westwood games. It's what they do and it's what they do best. I like my RTS to be simple. Damn, I'm so excited about the new C&C.

Anyway, my favourite game would be a tie between Tiberium Sun, RA2 and Yuri's Revenge. Tiberium Sun does have an incredibly atmosphere, RA2 has great unit balance (almost as good as Starcraft) and Yuri's REvenge is nice stupid fun, though it's a real shame you can't play Yuri in missions. If pushed, I'd say RA2 is my favourite.

nihilist

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2007, 11:17 »

Fuck C&C, go play Supreme Commander.

crotch_lobster

« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2007, 20:36 »

Wow the 3rd clip in the OP is ridiculous, mostly because of the music, does anyone know who does the music for that? Apparently they dont credit them :(

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2007, 12:36 »

I've only played Renegade.

And Renegade multiplayer was amazing. I piss on everyone who said the game sucked. :(
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2007, 08:26 »

Wha, people thought Renegade sucked?!?! I loved Renegade. It may be the Best Spinoff Ever. Being able to explore all the Nod structures and jack nd drive all the vehicles was great.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2007, 14:29 »

I want to see Renegade 2, honestly. The online experience with that game is one of my favorite FPSes of all time. A brilliant way to make an FPS in the midst of an RTS.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2007, 14:47 »

I believe it is in the works, actually.  There was some mention of a development company having picked up the license to Renegades.  Was either on VE3D, IGN itself, or Gamasutra; I can't seem to find the specific blurb.

WelshPete

« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2007, 03:30 »

I remember hearing they had Renegade 2 in the works but latter heard that they scrapped it!

C&C Renegade was an alright game all in all when it was released just found it a bit too easy! Though had to admit going into the buildings and veihels was pretty cool!

tacroy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2007, 22:54 »

Red Alert 2 was a great game, but I feel like the expansion didn't necessarily improve the game overall.  In multiplayer settings, the Yuri faction is far more powerful than the other two, and the Soviets actually lost several units moving from Classic to Expansion.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2007, 13:26 »

I just finished messing around with the Tiberian Wars demo, and I have to say that I'm pretty excited. I really didn't like Generals, but Tiberian Wars seems to be more like the original C&C games, rather than just some generic RTS.

Peter Harris

« Reply #24 on: 27 Mar 2007, 11:12 »

If I can't vote for Yuri's Revenge, I'll go with Tiberium Sun.

WelshPete

« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2007, 12:01 »

If I can't vote for Yuri's Revenge, I'll go with Tiberium Sun.

Couldnt be bothered adding all the expansion packs onto the poll.....

Tiberium Sun has to be one of my least favourite of the C&C games but alot of people seem to think it was really good!

Maybe i should give it another shot!

WelshPete

« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2007, 14:48 »

Just bought C&C 3 Tiberium Wars today....any one else got it?

So far im not that blown away by it! Its seems an alright C&C...so far alot like Tiberium Sun!

Will play on and see how things turn out  :?

ackblom12

« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2007, 15:25 »

I'm actually very happy with everything they've done with the game thus far. Amazing considering how unimpressed I was with Generals.

Hell, I'm more than amazed at how good it look and how well it runs on my rig considering how my PC has aged... I REALLY need to get a 8800GTS when the price drops a bit more.

ronin

« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2007, 17:58 »

You know the commando missions? The one where he takes on half an army and destroys them?

They're back.

And just when you thought he couldn't get any better, they've improved him.
They gave the guy a jetpack.

JETPACK.

ackblom12

« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2007, 21:39 »

This game is just fucking awesome. Super Weapon is no longer an impressive enough name for them. Using them is like what I imagine having an eyegasm would be like.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #30 on: 02 Apr 2007, 07:19 »

I dled the demo, and surprise of surprises, it worked.  Almost every other EA game I've played has Bink Videos in their intros/menus, and Bink videos will not work properly on my computer, for unbeknownst hardware reasons.  So anyways, I had a lot of fun.  First C&C I've played, and I liked it quite a lot.  I've seen Yuri's Revenge plenty of times (I have a friend who can kill 3 brutal AI opponents in 15 minutes) and I didn't like the left-mouse-button only interface they had.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #31 on: 02 Apr 2007, 14:49 »

I had a skirmish match against a few computers at my friend's house.  I played as scrin and came to the conclusion that they are awesome.  One of their units is reminiscent of a Protoss carrier in Starcraft.  The mothership still owns all. :evil:
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

ronin

« Reply #32 on: 06 Apr 2007, 18:34 »

Ergh, I'm in massive trouble on IGN mission 9....

spoiler-ish things coming up

The base in southeast is such a pain in the arse. Not accessible by ground units, I've spent all my money on rifle squads and predator tanks - I have 500-ish dollars left, which is enough to transport one unit up there, but it's not enough... Anyone have suggestions?

If you've cleared out the other two bases, rocket buggies are more then enough to shoot down any planes that attack your harvesters. use that to airlift over a fairly decently sized army.

the_tard

« Reply #33 on: 06 Apr 2007, 22:47 »

The comps are really smart in this game. I went up against a brutal comp for fun and he absolutely annihilated me. My fav race so far is still Nod, same as every other C&C (excluding C&C generals, then I was china. Minigunners ftw!) The multiplayer is really bad. Like, I'm sorry but it should not take me over an hour to create an account. I still don't have one that works. Sigh ... its BF 2142 all over again. Damn you EA and your unnecessarily complicated online play! Damn yooouuuuu! 

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #34 on: 07 Apr 2007, 00:50 »

C&C 3 is pretty freaking good. I got it two days ago, and I'm real impressed. Admittedly, the missions are a bit easier then I hoped, but they're still great fun, and the graphics are great, even though I had to turn it down so my comp could handle it.

Westwood have done it again! Although I must say I don't know why they swapped the left and right mouse buttons around (as in, right moves/attacks, left cancels) because I wasn't expecting that. Still, if that's the worst thing I can think of, it must be pretty damn good.

Legendaryratboy

« Reply #35 on: 21 Apr 2007, 08:20 »

My favorite for playing with friends is Red Alert 2, because its the one that causes the longest string of spanish swearword of all of them; but I would have to say that for playing by myself(that came out wrong) C&C Zero Hour is the best, especcially the generals chalenge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up