THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 08:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundtracks  (Read 8529 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Soundtracks
« on: 19 Mar 2007, 08:56 »

I'm a huge Ennio Morricone fan, and the other day at Value Village I found a cassette of his soundtrack for The Mission. Listening to it has revealed an oddly post-rock sensibility: all pieces lack chorus, at most finding a focal point at a theme which is altered and developed throroughly, and each track seemingly building towards an epiphany. The music was truly cinematic; in fact, the movie, which I only vaguely recalled, seemed to play out mentally along with the music.

When I watched Stranger Than Fiction about a month back, the soundtrack - essentially a bunch of reworked and remixed Spoon tracks - really struck me as not only enhancing the film, but as a really great set of tunes that was well-deployed throughout the picture, stuff I'd listen to outside of the film's context.

Last night, watching Punch-Drunk Love, I realized that Jon Brion's score - designed, seemingly, to frustrate, aggravate and confound the viewer and listener - was similarly enhancing to the film in its own right, but in addition it was absolutely fascinating music, in some scenes reminiscent of an arthouse Stomp and in others seemingly echoing Stravinsky.

I guess what I'm saying is, what are your favourite film soundtracks or scores and why? Those are three of mine, and I really like the way that each one works. I'm a bigger fan of Morricone's sountracks for the Man With No Name trilogy, but that aside, I think those three are some dead-on brilliant soundtracks.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Re: Soundtracks
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2007, 09:27 »

In before Blade Runner.

In terms of soundtracks as in songs rather than scores, my favourite by far is 'The Big Lebowski''s soundtrack, for the simple reason that every single song used just oozes cool and fits its scene perfectly. Whichever Creedence song the Dude is listening to goes with the feel of the action nicely; 'Lookin' Out My Back Door' while he's driving along enjoying a blunt and a beer, and some more mellowed-out tunes while he's relaxing at home. And the Kenny Rogers dream sequence is just perfect.

(watch this - no real spoilers or anything if you've not seen the film)

Favourite film score is by far the Requiem for a Dream music. Remixed version is pretty hot too but the music in the film itself captures and enhances the mood - from downright depression (admittedly, most of the time) to laid-back, party type beats. The musical climax at the end when it shows the corresponding climax of each character's story is one of the most powerful moments in any film I've ever seen. I'm pretty biased here 'cos it's my favourite film of all time and I can't find fault with any part of it but that's some good soundtrackin' right there.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2007, 09:50 »

I'm a huge fan of anything Clint Mansell has done the soundtrack for.  Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain (I believe, come to think if it, that he's doen all of Aronofsky's films).  They're just great.  I also really like Graeme Revell's work (some goos movies like The Crow, and some absolutely horrible ones too).  Danny Lohner has done some brief but wonderful stuff too.  All are kinda genre specific in a sense, and I suppose that's why I like them so much.

My two honorable mentions would be the "Judgement Night" and "Singles" soundtracks as the both have a reall big highschool nostalgia thing for me.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2007, 09:57 »

My favorite soundtrack thus far has been Basil Pouledouris on Conan the Barbarian, even if it was basically a variation on Rimsky-Korsikov's Scherezehade.  Followed by Phillip Glass and Clint Mansell.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2007, 10:06 »

The Singles soundtrack has some great tracks on it by Mudhoney, The Screaming Trees and Paul Westerberg.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2007, 10:24 »

Yann Tiersen's contribution to the Amelie soundtrack is probably my favorite overall.  A Quai is proably one of my favorite instrumentals of all time, even though it wasn't initially written for the film.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:02 »

My favourite soundtrack is probably Ry Cooder's work for "Paris, Texas". Simply some of the most haunting and beautiful music for one of the most haunting and beautiful films.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:44 »

When I watched Stranger Than Fiction about a month back, the soundtrack - essentially a bunch of reworked and remixed Spoon tracks - really struck me as not only enhancing the film, but as a really great set of tunes that was well-deployed throughout the picture, stuff I'd listen to outside of the film's context.

My thoughts exactly. I finally saw the film yesterday and my first reaction was "I really want this soundtrack."

Also, I am in love with the Amelie soundtrack. It's just...amazing.

I think Danny Elfman writes very good soundtracks, particularly for Edward Scissorhands. That's another of my favorite soundtracks. Basically all the ones he did for Tim Burton movies are spectacular.

Dances With Wolves also has an outstanding OST.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2007, 12:27 »

The soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans, with Daniel-Day Lewis, was always a favorite of mine.  Everything about the soundtrack was epic and really fit the film well; the main theme is what really made an impression on me.  Well, that and the end of the film.

Also:
The soundtrack to The Graduate, which is all Simon & Garfunkel.
I second anything put together by Wes Anderson as well.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2007, 14:34 »

Explosions in the Sky did the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights, and I can't think of any other music fitting the film so well.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2007, 14:50 »

I'm a huge fan of anything Clint Mansell has done the soundtrack for.  Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain

I couldn't agree more. Those are beautiful, amazing soundtracks. Mansell is great and the fact that he was overlooked for Oscar nomination for both those films just makes me mad. They're amazing pieces of music on thier own but in the film they work wonderfully as well. That's the sign of a good score if you ask me.

Explosions in the Sky did the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights, and I can't think of any other music fitting the film so well.

Funny, I had a conversation about this last night at the Explosions show in Philly. I love the soundtrack. As an album it's great. I don't think it worked too well in the film. It was ok, and musically it was great, but it felt a bit out of place to me. Maybe because I saw the movie in theaters not knowing EitS had done the soundtrack so I was suprised and couldn't get past thinking, "holy crap, that's Explosions." Whatever it was, I think it's a great album, not a very good fit for the film though.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2007, 14:55 »

I like the 8 mile soundtrack, fuck all of you.

I love both Trainspotting soundtracks (minus the Iggy Pop tracks), they're eclectic but feature some truly stunning songs, some of which aren't readily available elsewhere. I don't think that edit of the title track by Primal Scream is on any of their albums.

I also have the soundtrack to U2's Rattle And Hum film. It does count because it is the soudntrack album to the film of the same name. Frankly, I think it's great, and it's the only U2 album I think I'll ever need minus a hits collection sometime.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2007, 15:30 »

My favourite concert film soundtrack is probably Stop Making Sense. You would be hard-pressed to find a better one I think.

tacroy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2007, 16:59 »

I have two favorite soundtracks right now.  The first is the soundtrack of Harold and Maude, which is entirely Cat Stevens, and just seems to fit the movie really well.

The other is the soundtrack to Wong Kar Wai's film In the Mood for Love.  While it only has 3 or 4 tracks, they're used at just the right moments, and really match the theme of the movie well. One is a Waltz, the other is the song "Quizas" (no idea which version), and the others I don't recall.

glwtta

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2007, 17:26 »

Shrek 2 - " Holding Out for a Hero" rocks the fuck out!

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2007, 17:43 »

Well...My two favorite soundtracks are actually from plays which then became movies...do those still count? In that case...
-Rocky Horror Picture Show!
-Rent!

I also really like (if you want actual movies...)
-Shock Treatment (the "sequal" to RHPS)
-(if this counts...) Little Shop of Horrors
-Ghostworld

...I like a lot of cult classic movies apparently, what the hell?
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2007, 17:45 by ThePQ4 »

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2007, 00:38 »

i prefer the original broadway version of holding out for a hero

these are the sound tracks i own
-rocky horror
-donnie darko
-buffy: once more with feeling
-flcl vol1.: addict
-team america world police
-the nightmare before christmas
-flash
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Scytale

« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2007, 01:03 »

My favourite soundtrack is probably Ry Cooder's work for "Paris, Texas". Simply some of the most haunting and beautiful music for one of the most haunting and beautiful films.

Yes that sound track is amazing

on a less serious note:

Top Gun (come on Kenny Loggins' Danger Zone is an instant classic)
The Breakfast Club (Don't You (Forget About Me)!!!!)
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey (Megadeth, Kings X, Primus etc etc )
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2007, 01:05 by Scytale »

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2007, 05:49 »

Well...My two favorite soundtracks are actually from plays which then became movies...do those still count? In that case...
-Rocky Horror Picture Show!

oh, totally.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2007, 05:51 »

-buffy: once more with feeling

Ohmigosh, I forgot about that... Love that one too.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2007, 06:01 »

The other is the soundtrack to Wong Kar Wai's film In the Mood for Love.  While it only has 3 or 4 tracks, they're used at just the right moments, and really match the theme of the movie well. One is a Waltz, the other is the song "Quizas" (no idea which version), and the others I don't recall.

I'm pretty sure the songs in that were all Nat "King" Cole performances."Quizas" sure was, anyway.

Just thinking of soundtracks rather than scores, there are a few that I love: Pieces of April is a great little half-hour Stephen Merritt album, including some really good songs that hadn't been previously released; the Young Einstein soundtrack holds a special place in my heart, as does (in an entirely different way) the soundtrack to the Sweet Hereafter.

But really.

At the end of the day,

there's only one soundtrack album that really counts:

THE HARDER THEY COME.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2007, 06:23 »

-donnie darko

LOVE, LOVE WILL TEAR US APART, AGAIN

(that's actually the only piece of music I can remember from the film)
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2007, 06:31 »

Tommy, that Mudhoney story is hilarious and I am now determined to see With Honours, if only for that soundtrack moment.

I really love the soundtracks to Sophia Coppola's films. Air did the original soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides which is just fantastic -- I think one of Air's best albums. Lost In Translation has a great selection of atmospheric, if not ambient, music by the Jesus and Mary Chain, Kevin Shields, Squarepusher, Phoenix, Air and others (not to mention the "secret track" of Bill Murray singing karaoke Roxy Music!). The Marie Antoinette soundtrack is pretty good too, although I don't think it's as cohesive a listening experience as the other two, with Bow Wow Wow, Sioxsie and the Banshees, The Strokes, Aphex Twin and Vivaldi (!).

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2007, 08:25 »

The Wicker Man soundtrack, by Paul Giovanni and Magnet. Never has a soundtrack worked better with a film. Most of the songs are performed naturalistically on screen by the characters, but not in the manner of a musical.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer
« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2007, 08:40 »

Been watching Hayao Miyazaki films a LOT lately (since i'm doing my dissertation on him..it makes sense) and I've come to absolutely adore the scores. I used to be all about 'Spirited Away', which is fantastic, but having watched 'Princess Mononoke' over and over again I've decided that this is my favourite. It was composed by Joe Hisaishi who does a lot of work for Studio Ghibli. The version I'm currently listening to though is a second recording called 'Princess Mononoke: Symphony Suite', it's by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, and conducted by Mario Klemens. It works so well with the film, pushes all the right emotional buttons and is just great.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2007, 09:05 »

What if the film was made for the album, I'm thinking Interstella 55555 here.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #26 on: 20 Mar 2007, 10:10 »

Been watching Hayao Miyazaki films a LOT lately (since i'm doing my dissertation on him..it makes sense) and I've come to absolutely adore the scores. I used to be all about 'Spirited Away', which is fantastic, but having watched 'Princess Mononoke' over and over again I've decided that this is my favourite. It was composed by Joe Hisaishi who does a lot of work for Studio Ghibli. The version I'm currently listening to though is a second recording called 'Princess Mononoke: Symphony Suite', it's by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, and conducted by Mario Klemens. It works so well with the film, pushes all the right emotional buttons and is just great.

Yes.

-flcl vol1.: addict

I freaking love the FLCL Soundtrack.  It was entirely composed by the Japanese band The Pillows.

You guys are all probably going to hate me for this, but i'm going to add Garden State to this.  It got me into Iron & Wine.

tacroy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2007, 12:26 »

Quote from: Inlander
Quote from: tacroy on March 19, 2007, 06:59:29 PM

I'm pretty sure the songs in that were all Nat "King" Cole performances."Quizas" sure was, anyway.

Thanks for that info.

anditsdiscontents

• Emoticontraindication
  • my SimCity's bigger than your SimCity
    • last.fm
« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2007, 02:24 »

I can't talk about soundtracks without mentioning the soundtrack/score/thingo written for an independent Aussie film, Somersault. The band is Decoder Ring (a sort of post-rock collective?).

Also, Neil Young's searing little pieces of guitar made Jim Jarmusch's film Dead Man so much better than it would have been otherwise that I couldn't quite get over it.

edit: haha! just searched it and found this quote from amazon.com describing it as "the first post-punk western to make any sense at all."
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2007, 02:27 by anditsdiscontents »
Hey, it looks like I am irrevocably damned, I should probably get some dancing in.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #29 on: 21 Mar 2007, 04:53 »

A few people have already said Clint Mansell, but I really love the soundtrack to Pi.

Also, the Dust Brothers' soundtrack to Fight Club is great for when you need background noise while you're studying or otherwise concentrating.

As far as more traditional soundtracks go, I really like Wojcek Kilar's (massive damn spelling errors, probably) soundtracks for The Ninth Gate and Dracula.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up