THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 08:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You know what I like about EitS  (Read 2461 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
You know what I like about EitS
« on: 10 Mar 2007, 15:25 »

Their drummer's snare hits sound like he's shooting a machine gun.

BABABABABA
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: You know what I like about EitS
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2007, 16:49 »

Man the gunshot sound in "Have You Passed Through This Night?" always catches me by surprise.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2007, 09:40 »

I like that they do so much with such sparse instrumentation. I've only got How Strange, Innocence but the reverbed guitar on 'Look Into The Air' gets me everytime. Also, for what it's worth, of all the post-rock bands I've heard, they are the most capable of getting across emotion and feel in a totally instrumental setting. For lack of a better explanation, it sounds lyrical without needing lyrics.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:31 »

For lack of a better explanation, it sounds lyrical without needing lyrics.

Great description.

Anyway, have any of you heard All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone?  Out of the four EitS albums I have (How Strange, Innocence; The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place; Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever; All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone), I like this one the best, production wise.  The percussion always sounded somewhat out of place, or the physical sound never actually blended well with the guitars and what not.  On their most recent release, the percussion was finally mixed right and it sounds amazing.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2007, 12:25 »

EITS are pretty good.  I have yet to hear the new album, but I loved The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place when I first heard it, and I still find it enjoyable.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2007, 13:23 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 'All of a Sudden I miss Everyone' is by far the best EitS album. It's the best orchestrated, best produced, most interesting work they've done to date (not to mention it translates brilliantly live).
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2007, 13:55 »

I think the new one is better than The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place but overall falls slightly short of Those Who Tell the Truth...  About half of All of a Sudden is the best shit they've ever done, but the other half is treading water.  Given the incredible stylistic range on the last Mogwai and the utter mindblowing poeticness of the last Mono, the new EitS just didn't hit me.  But like I said, roughly half of it is pretty amazing.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2007, 16:32 »

Man, the last Mogwai album is one of those albums I never find myself wanting to hear, but then I do and I remember how fucking good it is. It's like I have this mental idea of what it sounds like which is boring, slightly metal-ish post-rock but the reality is so much better. I blame the fact that it's a very compact, concise, tight album. Every second is there for a purpose and matters.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2007, 17:33 »

I think that All Of The Sudden I Miss Everyone is probably my favorite EITS material that I've heard. I'm finding myself enjoying this band immensely; their songs all have this lonely sadness to them, but with a subtle twinge of hope and peace too. It's usually the perfect compliment to the moods I spend a lot of days in.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."
Pages: [1]   Go Up