THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a cd's revenge  (Read 7063 times)

HEY YOU! STOP THAT!

a cd's revenge
« on: 11 Mar 2007, 21:18 »

Recently, i acquired a copy of the shins' oh, inverted world. At my first convenience, i put it into my stereo, and commenced to have an audiorgasmic experience (though not literally, as it would likely be unsanitary). I deemed it worthy to go onto my computer (and further onto my mp3 player) but an unexpected problem arose. When i put the cd into my computer, nothing happened. It was like i hadn't put a cd into it at all. Or so I thought. You see, as soon as i would try to access the cd through i-tunes, windows media, or even my computer, the window would lock up. The only way to stop it is to eject the cd. This is not the first time I have seen this happen, but now it's a real issue (the other time it was some horrible death metal band my friend was trying to listen to). I hope that  somehow, through the combination of musical and technical nerdery, someone knows how to fix this.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: a cd's revenge
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2007, 21:35 »

HEY YOU! PERSON WHO IS CHANGING YOUR FONT! STOP THAT!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2007, 21:48 »

I just can't help but read that font in a computer voice. In my mind it's like Stephen Hawking is a Shins fan!

Try it, it's fun.

HEY YOU! STOP THAT!

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2007, 21:52 »

actually, my favoring that font is the end result of an outing with friends whereupon we found a cardboard that was turned into a robot suit. pictures were taken. hilarity ensued.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2007, 00:39 »

It's still a bitch to try and read.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:17 »

Why did you post this on here and in the Computer/Video Games board??

Spinless

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2007, 10:12 »

Yeah, the shins suck. Everybody should be listenning to Fugazi or something, right?

(Nah, I kid, but seriously)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2007, 11:07 »

I'd take it as a sign that you should stop listening to the Shins.
Go pick up a Low album.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2007, 14:11 »

Go pick up a Scritti Politti album.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2007, 17:37 »

I'd take it as a sign that someone should answer threadstarter's goddamned question.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2007, 19:21 »

Go pick up a TISM album.

Also, it is just a thing. Some CDs are fucking weird like that. I for example cannot play Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, or Mer De Noms in my computer. I always figured maybe it was some kind of weird copy protection, but other computers can play them.

Maybe your CD drive is just frequented by demons.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2007, 15:59 »

I don't care what anybody says, there are superior bands out there in the same vein but Oh, Inverted World by the Shins is a good album.

Shortoier134

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2007, 16:42 »

kay yeah... this thread went way off topic very quickly but anyhow...
Are your programs the most recent version and validated etc? i don't use windows media player any more because i don't have a validated version of it... perhaps your computer itself needs to be updated? other than that i don't know what to tell ya cause i don't listen to cd's on my computer.
good luck with solving your problem :)

glwtta

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2007, 15:58 »

I hear kids these days have this "internet" thing where you can get music onto your computer without involving physical media :)

Since you've bought the CD, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I rarely rip my own CDs, it's just quicker when someone else has done it for you.

As for your specific problem, I'd guess it's the drive itself (based on: same symptom in unrelated apps, intermittent, locking up is what Windows does when trying to recover I/O errors) - computer CD-ROM drives will often not have the best optics/error correction, so even mildly scratched CDs can throw them for a loop.

kablaaamo

« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2007, 17:22 »

This is extremely unscientific, but occasionally when a CD won't work in my disc drive I can fix it with tape.

I figured it out because of CDs from the public library; most of those discs won't play in a computer. I am told this occurs because the metal strip they put on the disc to magnetize it (so you can't steal it) throws off the balance of the CD and makes it vibrate in the drive. Ergo, unreadable. You can fix that problem by putting a few pieces of scotch tape on the side of the CD that doesn't have the metal strip, which sort of balances out the weight and lets it spin flat.

So yeah. Even though copy protected CDs don't have an obvious issue like an attached metal strip, if you put a symmetric pattern of scotch tape a couple of layers thick on the top it just might run. This has worked for me before. I can't honestly say why, I just tried it out of frustration one day.

If you actually try this, you should take the tape off if you're going to use it in a non-computer player afterwards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up