• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MIKA  (Read 4222 times)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
MIKA
« on: 11 Mar 2007, 22:51 »

Thanks to the wonders of the Blagobutt, I've stumbled upon a young Lebanese prodigy (he's 21) who has spent most of his life in England.  His debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion, hasn't been released in North America yet, but it's out in Jolly Olde England and Europe.  It's some seriously good stuff.  He's got a truly pop-y sound, but it's better than you'd think.  The growing up on '70s and later Brits has given him a gift; in studio, he sounds so goddamn like Freddie Mercury it's eeire.  Like, srsly.

A few sample tracks of his:
Grace Kelly - http://youtube.com/watch?v=uzA0nG_PurQ
Lollipop - http://youtube.com/watch?v=_NxdTUCdMjQ
Love Today - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ICBssC6vqRk

And this next one is the last one I'll post, and it's the closest link between him and Mr. Mercury.  He was up at like 2 AM one day and was watching a documentary on the Butterfly Lounge in CA, which is one of the few bars in America that won't discriminate by weight or something (so he claims, don't shoot me over that one).  He says he was inspired by the video, so he muted it and wrote this song in like 15 minutes

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=SW7ZEUE9eI4

He says he thought bigger women needed an anthem, and he figured he was the one to write it.

Your thoughts?  Personally, I think he's got a good sound going.  Besides, he got to sing as a guest at the Sanremo Music Festival in Italy this year, so he's got to be at least a little good.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Re: MIKA
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2007, 06:10 »

We recently added "Grace Kelly" to our playlist here at work, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite songs we play. The dude does sound insanely similar to Freddie Mercury, and there's a few moments where I also hear what sounds to me like just the slightest hint of Mike Patton as well. Pretty good stuff, all in all.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

The Kangmiester

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2007, 06:27 »

His songs so far have been absaloutely huge over here in the UK, but it's beginning to get on my nerves now.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2007, 09:57 »

Guys who wear makeup in the way that he does creep me out. Especially since he's not let slip whether he's straight or gay.

I also hate his song.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2007, 12:58 »

Mmmm I don't like Freddy Mercury this may explain why I don't like Mika either...

Not a huge fan of pop music.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2007, 16:24 »

Not a huge fan of pop music.

I will stab you in the mouth.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2007, 02:32 »

I saw a nice crossdressing camwhore called Mika yesterday.

Is this relevant?

penpen17

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2007, 18:48 »

it's fun, but nothing special or particularly original.  Take Of Montreal and Scissor Sisters, and maybe throw in some Junior Senior

Edit:  In other words, yes it is fun, but I can only have so much respect for something that seems so...derivative
Edit #2:  After giving his album a couple of listens, it is HELLA fun, enough so that I'm willing to overlook the fact that it's not all that original.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2007, 20:56 by penpen17 »

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2007, 17:07 »

I'm a big fan myself.

I'm too much of a lazy bastard to post the links, but search youtube for "4play Mika" and you get a couple videos of him talking about different songs if his while they're playing in the background.  It's good stuff.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up