THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am so angry I think I am going to shit myself.  (Read 27034 times)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
Re: I am so angry I think I am going to shit myself.
« Reply #50 on: 23 Feb 2007, 01:13 »

I dislike having to parse this out, but I was warned I'd have to explain this, so I'm not surprised.  I mentioned your age in that first post because in terms of brain development, human beings are not wired to think of the world beyond them until their early twenties.  Until then, people are extremely self-centered beings, who care to only do what benefits them in some way, since they're the center of the universe in their mind.  You may think you don't act or this way, but I guarantee you do.

That's an interesting claim. I could give less of a shit about annoying kiddy bands, but have you possibly got any sources for this? Not that I think you'd guarantee it without being sure but I wouldn't mind reading in more detail.

Mnementh

« Reply #51 on: 23 Feb 2007, 01:18 »

I will get you the source tomorrow, it came directly from a masters level edu psych class, and I have to track it down.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #52 on: 23 Feb 2007, 04:16 »

Oh, I thought it was just me and I was destined to be a dick my entire life. Cool.

It makes sense though, if you want to get into evolutionary psychology. That's for another thread though.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #53 on: 23 Feb 2007, 05:28 »

Daniel, the problem with the band isn't the kids, it's the people who decided it would be a great idea to market them at this point.  They're a kid band.  Let them have fun, but don't force them to do anything.  They shouldn't be publicized at that young age, at least not by their parents or gym coach.  If they are really serious about the band, they should continue to play until they know how to market themselves. 

The thing is, those parents are forcing an image on their kids.  Those kids may live another five to seven years and realize that they hate corporate America and really want to have an experimental band on Touch and Go, not some gimmicky rock band on a major label making music videos all the time.  Of course, in all likelihood they'll just grow accustomed to their lives as soulless teenage-anthem makers.  It's really sad, but these kids are victims of circumstance.

Again, Daniel, that was my first response to you.  If that really sounds like an attack to you, I'm really glad you're not president.

Really, "attacking because I dared to take an opposing viewpoint."  Sometimes I wonder if you're just sitting there cackling at how riled up you're making everyone.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2007, 05:58 by Flaming Ostrich »
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #54 on: 23 Feb 2007, 06:43 »

Well I'm sure sitting here cackling at how riled up everyone's getting.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #55 on: 23 Feb 2007, 06:54 »

I will get you the source tomorrow, it came directly from a masters level edu psych class, and I have to track it down.

Cheers dude, much obliged.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #56 on: 23 Feb 2007, 06:57 »

Mods, can you please lock this thr- oh, wait, nevermind.

Mnementh

« Reply #57 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:56 »

Again, Daniel, that was my first response to you.  If that really sounds like an attack to you, I'm really glad you're not president.

Really, "attacking because I dared to take an opposing viewpoint."  Sometimes I wonder if you're just sitting there cackling at how riled up you're making everyone.

Are you being deliberately dense?

My advice: don't play the free speech card.  It doesn't pan out well. 

I was referring to this and all that was implicit in it.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #58 on: 23 Feb 2007, 08:57 »

And when I was talking about the "free speech card," I was referencing my experience playing the free speech card in another topic.  God Daniel, I really don't get how you can look over all that has been said and call me dense.  I was as polite as I could have been, but I didn't agree with you, so you repeatedly insult and demean me.  You threw the first punch by saying my views were "childish and simplistic."  As you may recall, when we started debating this, my posts were not filled with my personal analyzation of you, but of my counterpoints to your arguments. 

If you want to continue this argument, PM me.  Otherwise, I think we should drop it.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2007, 10:50 by Flaming Ostrich »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #59 on: 23 Feb 2007, 10:06 »

+

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #60 on: 23 Feb 2007, 11:51 »

Dude, firetanks are awesome!

Oh, wait...I think I did it wrong.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 23 Feb 2007, 12:08 »

Instant fire, just add tanks.

Vanilla Gorilla

« Reply #62 on: 23 Feb 2007, 12:44 »

holy shit, i wasnt angry until i read this:

"Hunter has been playing guitar for four years, with an enigmatic vocal presence that is slightly reminiscent of  Neil Young."

die young man, die.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #63 on: 23 Feb 2007, 14:46 »

Neil Young my ass. The guy sounds like a cat being anally raped with a fork. I have a good bit of distaste for Neil Young's voice, but Hunter's takes the cake like a fat kid in a bakery.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #64 on: 23 Feb 2007, 15:05 »

What this means is not that I was calling you inferior, but that I was calling you a hypocrite, and I stand by that.

This made me laugh really, really hard.  And sorry, but it's guaranteed I'm correct, because I've got Daniel beaten by a year.  So, until someone older than I am comes along, I stand triumphant.

Seriously, though, Daniel... you and others like you are why I stopped posting around here and why I'm calling it a day on reading here, as well.  Reading your thoughts are probably more hazardous to my mental health than bashing my head against the wall in my den ad nauseam.  Finally, your arguments involving advanced psychology would be much more convincing once you've learned the differences between "there" and "their," as well as "your" and "you're."

Flaming Ostrich, don't worry, man... I've got your back and I'm roughly eight years older, so now you're vicariously correct.

Madness Hero

• Not quite a lurker
    • Fan of AGI
« Reply #65 on: 23 Feb 2007, 15:19 »

I haven't been here long, but arguments like this about a kiddy band seem really... stupid.  If it's all about age, then age should be removed from private profiles (or at least hidden in some way).  Use your vast argumentative powers for something important, like the name of the next Ben & Jerry's flavor.
Check out All Games Interactive, a gaming podcast live online at 6:30pm EST/3:30pm PST on www.allgames.com.

Mnementh

« Reply #66 on: 23 Feb 2007, 15:20 »

:roll:

Kokeyjoe, I know the differences, it's also a known fact that my grammar sucks, especially in the wee hours of the morning.

However, please, enlighten me:

That "get over yourself" was aimed at Flaming Ostrich, that was pretty clear because the rest of my post was in response to him, and he was the one who was attacking me because I dared take an opposing viewpoint and my continued attacks on his argument were obviously some sort of oppression.  They (attacking his arguments and my power) had nothing to do with each other and that he managed to equate them is either extremely self-centered, or insulting, because he is implying that I would only attack his argument from a position of power and that they (my arguments) therefor couldn't stand on their own.  Anyone should see through that ploy.

I dislike having to parse this out, but I was warned I'd have to explain this, so I'm not surprised.  I mentioned your age in that first post because in terms of brain development, human beings are not wired to think of the world beyond them until their early twenties.  Until then, people are extremely self-centered beings, who care to only do what benefits them in some way, since they're (they are) the center of the universe in their mind.  You may think you don't act or this way, but I guarantee you do.

What this means is not that I was calling you inferior, but that I was calling you a hypocrite, and I stand by that.

Now, Flaming Ostrich's ideas are incredibly naive, simplistic, and childish.  I mentioned his age because I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  If someone over the age of say 22 had an understanding of world on the level that he does, then that person would be more or less considered stupid, or be seen as living in a fantasy world of some sort.  That he is seventeen and has that worldview is understandable, but it also means that his ideas are incredibly naive, simplistic, and childish.

I'm sure you could find mistakes in my other posts, but I'm sure I could find them in yours.  I make them because I type faster than I catch them, so I often go back and correct them almost immediately, however sometimes I miss them, like in a post on the front of this page.  Then, actually respond to my points, as caustic as I was FO and Ampersandwitch, I actually bothered to provide some specific examples, something I've yet to see anyone else do.

But don't let me keep you.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2007, 15:33 by Daniel »

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #67 on: 23 Feb 2007, 15:29 »

Madness Hero: You know The Planets?

Someone should do a comprehensive suite of "Ice Cream Flavours".
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #68 on: 23 Feb 2007, 16:23 »

Okay, I'm not really mad about it, but that is genuinely the worst music I've ever heard since I first started listening to music. That is worse than the Cheeky girls, worse than Animal Collective's improvised live album, worse than Metal Machine Music, worse than Chacarron, worse than the Crazy Frog in any of his incarnations, absolutely goddamn terrible.

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2007, 22:29 by Flaming Ostrich »

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #70 on: 23 Feb 2007, 22:57 »

If the lyrics were less retarded and they sounded less whiny, they'd be pretty good.

What I mean is that the guitarist and drummer have some skill.
boldly going nowhere

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #71 on: 23 Feb 2007, 23:37 »

Flaming Ostrich, don't worry, man... I've got your back and I'm roughly eight years older, so now you're vicariously correct.

I appreciate it, but I'm trying to get this argument to die.  I don't think that any of us are going to convince Daniel that he is wrong/being a dick/whatever.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #72 on: 24 Feb 2007, 00:06 »

i thought it was really cute! the vocals were a little abrasive though.

reminds me of this 12-year-old-rapper, although it's a little less cute for me. maybe because i'm a girl and i'm less judgmental of little boys?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #73 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:59 »

The thing I don't quite get about this argument is why Flaming Ostriches arguments indicate that he is entirely self-centered. As far as I can see, he put forward a relatively reasonable argument. As did Daniel. However, saying that the argument that this could well be a case of parents (or other adults) living vicariously through their children is not without merit. This band has an extremely proffessional set-up: wesbite, press pack, mobile phone downloads, tours, proffessional videos, etc. Yes, their age may not imply anything about their promotional abilities, however, minors cannot sign legal contracts. The fact that they are signed to a record label and are playing concerts in places other than their school hall indicates that there is a fairly strong adult presence behind them. Notice also this sentence: 'The concept of the song was born when the band's music coach always found the three playing video games when not practicing music.' Also, the fact that the child has been playing guitar since the age of about 7 may say something as well. Now, this is not to say that I am agreeing with Flaming Ostrich that this is some sort of cynical manipulation of children by adults. They could simply be very lucky to have some very dedicated parents (and/or teachers) who want to push forward these childrens ambitions. Or it could be that a music promoter is just trying to make a quick buck off a novelty act. To call the argument in either direction is somewhat presumptuous given the information available. Having endured a private education, I can tell you from long personal experience that parents can and will shoe-horn their children into doing the most ridiculous stuff. I can also tell you that the children often enjoy it, because they like gaining their parents approval, and because their parents have instilled their values into them, thus making their measures of success similiar. It is entirely possible that these children simultaneously want to be and enjoy being in a rock band, and have been pushed into being in a rock band by adults to some degree. I can further tell you, by the way, that whatever way they're wired, a lot of these children become completely insufferable cunts.

I also find it fairly interesting, Daniel, that you seem to be trying to link pretty much everything in this thread to one study on developmental brain chemistry. If there's one thing that can be truly said about the practice of profiling people by their physical characteristics (age, gender, sexual orientation, race, whatever), it is that it doesn't really work. If you can say that all people under a certain age are completely and utterly self-centred based on brain wiring, then you can say that all women can't read maps and desire to bear children, and that all men are competitive and can't multi-task. Such things, at best, describe generalities. You also seem to, somewhat strangely, imply that people automatically stop being self centred when they pass the age of 23, and you really don't need a scientific study to see that that isn't the case.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Mnementh

« Reply #74 on: 24 Feb 2007, 08:23 »

Khar, this isn't one study, this is accepted fact in terms of adolescent brain development.  You're right, it's not a magical overnight thing, and indeed, not everyone even matures to that point, especially here in the US where a culture of adolescence, or lad culture, if you'll have it, is more or less accepted.

Sorry for not clarifying that earlier, I had PM'd amok and neglected to mention it here.  Any comprehensive book on brain development, especially adolescent brain development, will provide you with further reading.  The book I was referring to was Adolescence by John Santrock.

As for the band, yes there may well be an adult presence behind them, and yes they may well grow into insufferable people, but we don't know that, and the manner in which a group of rather young people came down on them was, in my opinion, extremely hypocritical.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2007, 08:46 by Daniel »

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #75 on: 24 Feb 2007, 15:20 »

Khar, this isn't one study, this is accepted fact in terms of adolescent brain development.  You're right, it's not a magical overnight thing, and indeed, not everyone even matures to that point, especially here in the US where a culture of adolescence, or lad culture, if you'll have it, is more or less accepted.

Those studies suggest that your argument is correct and valid, but nothing more. Rule #1 of Psychology - nothing is truly proven, only suggested. And again, this is a study into the application of generalisations. After the numbers have been crunched some results might mean very little in regards to individuals.

As for the band, yes there may well be an adult presence behind them

If they don't have adult backing, then what they're doing is illegal as minors cannot enter business agreements on their own. Therefore we can keep open the possibility that the adults involved are gaining considerably from this.

I find your argument somewhat hypocritial, to be honest. "Yes they may well grow into insufferable people, but we don't know that, and the manner in which a group of rather young people came down on them was, in my opinion, extremely hypocritical".
Going by your argument, at the very least they'll be selfish until 20-something and they'll have the ego inflation from all the attention they're getting. In fact, the popularity they probably experience with their peers means that what they say is immediately accepted and at that age, people are ignorant, so if they want to bullshit victory in a juvenile debate they immediately have the backing of most of their peers. This teaches them that they are always right by default. Of course I don't have to explain to anyone how silly and juvenile this mindset is.

I don't think it does much credit to Daniel that he was playing the name game with Ostrich while trying to prove that he has a more matured mind, either.

SeanBateman

« Reply #76 on: 24 Feb 2007, 16:15 »

This thread is really awesome guys. Keep up the good work.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #77 on: 24 Feb 2007, 18:59 »

I don't think it does much credit to Daniel that he was playing the name game with Ostrich while trying to prove that he has a more matured mind, either.

The name game?  If it's namecalling you mean, I don't think there was any of that from either side.  However, I'd be all for playing the original name game. 

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #78 on: 24 Feb 2007, 20:44 »

I've read very convincing studies which talk about brain chemistry to suggest very good reasons why the vast majority of airline pilots are female. However, at the end of the day:

Female airline pilots still exist. I personally have a healthy skepticism of pscyhological studies of this nature, mainly because, as you say, there is culture at work here too. How many countries were subjects taken from? How was the data collected? What was the data? How do you actually measure 'self-centeredness'? Even if the study were 100% irrefutable fact, which, again from experience, I highly doubt, the fact that you would actually use such studies to talk down to people in an argument I find quite worrying. The fact that someone is self-centered does not mean they are incapable of selfless actions or thoughts, or of holding ideas contrary to their biology. Plus I find something quite self-centered in the attitude that 'Oh, of course I'm write, my brains wired better than yours'. It's unbecoming to a serious debate.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #79 on: 24 Feb 2007, 21:43 »

Now, Flaming Ostrich's ideas are incredibly naive, simplistic, and childish.  I mentioned his age because I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  If someone over the age of say 22 had an understanding of world on the level that he does, then that person would be more or less considered stupid, or be seen as living in a fantasy world of some sort.  That he is seventeen and has that worldview is understandable, but it also means that his ideas are incredibly naive, simplistic, and childish.

I know I said I wanted this to be taken to PM, but then I noticed this extra little goody Daniel snuck in there.  Oh Daniel, I ask you, if my worldview at my age is understandable, why was there the need to demean me and insult my intelligence? 

I find it completely laughable that you say that someone who held my worldview at 22 would be considered stupid.  Please, get off your high horse.  Just because I'm not taking masters level classes doesn't mean I'm any less intelligent than you are.  I'm sorry I haven't experienced the epiphanies you have, that I don't understand human nature the way you do.  The thing is, I know I'm smart.  I've always been smart.  I don't need validation from you or anyone else, but it is still frustrating that I can't be taken seriously just because you read something that says that there is a lot of brain development from age 17 to age 24.  Just because you're older and more educated than I am doesn't mean that your argument is any more valid than mine is. 

So, maybe you've decided that I'm a bad forumite.  Maybe you've run across some of my more dense ramblings.  Well, I've enjoyed my anonymity on the internet as much as anyone, and I've made mistakes, but I think I've presented a good point on this topic and deserve to be taken seriously.  For all your condescension you have not been able to convince me that my views are childish, and you certainly haven't convinced me that I'm wrong.  Apparently, this was not the result you desired, though certainly what you expected.  However, I hope you don't view my refusal to accept your tenet (apparently, this is that people who aren't taking Masters level psychology classes shouldn't voice their opinion in matters concerning kid bands) as grounds for ignoring or dismissing any arguments I make in the future.

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2007, 07:19 by Flaming Ostrich »

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #80 on: 25 Feb 2007, 01:33 »

'Oh, of course I'm write, my brains wired better than yours'.

I am an English example bad!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #81 on: 25 Feb 2007, 10:12 »

I'd been awake for about 29 hours when I wrote that post. Also, picking out peoples typos on a forum is pretty under 23, if you know what I mean.

öde

« Reply #82 on: 25 Feb 2007, 10:15 »

It's because +1

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #83 on: 26 Feb 2007, 00:09 »

Thank you for posting this. Now I'm going to go shoot myself. I think part of my brain died listening to that...
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

öde

« Reply #84 on: 26 Feb 2007, 10:37 »

have you shit yourself yet

pics plz

The Kangmiester

« Reply #85 on: 21 Mar 2007, 07:10 »

i thought it was really cute! the vocals were a little abrasive though.

reminds me of this 12-year-old-rapper, although it's a little less cute for me. maybe because i'm a girl and i'm less judgmental of little boys?

My god, that made me want to shoot myself, she is definitely worse than the kid band.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #86 on: 21 Mar 2007, 07:22 »

Oh man, this thread was dead.

If you really have to revive old threads at least add something to them.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #87 on: 21 Mar 2007, 13:25 »

Quote from: This Thread
LET ME DIE

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #88 on: 22 Mar 2007, 00:34 »

Click.  Post here no further, FOR DEATH AWAITS YOU ALL.
boldly going nowhere

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #89 on: 22 Mar 2007, 15:36 »

This thread is now about Ian Anderson:

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #90 on: 22 Mar 2007, 19:16 »

it's time to stop posting

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #91 on: 24 Mar 2007, 23:02 »

in b4 band camp
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up