THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound of Silver  (Read 2413 times)

Peter Harris

Sound of Silver
« on: 20 Mar 2007, 10:39 »

Per Jeph's advice, I went out and got my grubby little hands on LCD Soundsystem's new album, and let me tell you - it is pretty goddamn sweet.  North American Scum is my new song for the week.  It's a great song for jogging.

Anyone else buy/listen to the album?  What do you guys think?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Sound of Silver
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2007, 11:10 »

In the last month, for various reasons I have read three of the front-running British music mags; Arcade Fire's new album has got five, four and three stars out of five, respectively. However, in each of them Silver got four stars. I feel that says something of its quality.

I like the single, but it reminds me of a lot of the first album's songs a bit too much. Luckily he's eclectic.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Peter Harris

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2007, 16:21 »

I agree.  I feel that unless he's specifically trying to do something different, all his songs sound exactly the same.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2007, 18:09 »

This album is basically killer. North American Scum, Someone Great, All My Friends: all great tracks. In fact, there's not a dud on there.

Get it because it is awesome.

Yehti

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2007, 09:00 »

I wasn't really aware of LCD Soundsystem till a week or so ago when a friend persuaded me to go see them live. I can now declare myself a fan, they are a very good live band, North American Scum and New York, I Love You... were particularly well recieved. I'm on my way to get the album now.

Peter Harris

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2007, 13:58 »

New York, I Love You... doesn't really do it for me, but coming from the Pac Northwest, that might be self-evident.  I still don't think any of the songs on the album can hold a candle to Tribulations, still my favorite LCD Soundsystem songs, and one of my all-time favs overall.  However, this is an excellent entry into a stellar discography.

I will admit that, as much as I love North American Scum, I don't completely understand the lyrics.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2007, 16:01 »

Basically, it's about how they aren't British.  They're from North America.  And they're scum.  But really, if you need to think about that, you're overthinking the song.  The song is about dancing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up