THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need an honest opinion  (Read 2479 times)

NealsonLewison

Need an honest opinion
« on: 12 Apr 2007, 22:33 »

well, i've wanted to do a webcomic for about a year, but ive never really had the time...this summer tho! i Swear i'll start and you shall all like it! well probly no one will but i'll try.... anyway if you guys could give me an honest opinion and or suggestion on my drawings that would be great!! and if anyone is a really good storyteller and needs an artist, maybe we can hook up... please dont have any stds tho...

one of my first decent character sketeches.. bout 1.5 years ago....

colored one... about a year ago....

meh hawt gf... bout a year ago

an art project i did....there are about 1.4 million spelling errors..

my newest one, well.. its still bout 5months old... i really like it tho

i did some more sketches today, if anyone cares to see them i can get em scanned up all prety like

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Need an honest opinion
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2007, 06:13 »

I am so jealous of people who can draw.

I really like the art; can't say if I'm sure that any story line that goes with that character would really grip me, although that is rather stereotypical of me. The images are a tad big but that isn't an art problem!

It reminds me a tiny bit of ctrl alt del... actually quite a lot. I like  :-)
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

NealsonLewison

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2007, 12:02 »

yeah... the really good one took alot of cues from scott from ctrl alt del...i dunno i've got like 5 strips in my mind... it probly be bout the character workin at department store.. like a target... cause i work at a target.. convienient! and i do have a LOT of friggin drama i can go as basis from high school... im almost as bad as martin....

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2007, 12:16 »

I'd say your art shows a lot of promise, especially from the fact you're in the early stages. A lot of webcomics start off in a very shoddy manner artwise and evolve, so I'd be interested to see how far your stuff evolves from this already avdanced looking stage.

That having been said, constructively speaking, I think you need to work a bit more on the premise. The webcomic "market" is incredibly flooded with "gamer" strips and you'll have a lot of trouble catching much of any attention with stuff like C+A+D, Penny Arcade and PvP already grabbing the niche by the balls. If you can come up with a really clever twist to the genre, you could possibly go far.

My other advice to you would be to plan out significantly further ahead. Five strips is minor headway at best. You don't want to run the very dangerous risk of running out of ideas. If you base it TOO much on your personal experiences, you'll end up sinking on a boring week of your life and run across a lot of cliches. I'd recommend taking a weekend, or perhaps even a full week of evenings, and plotting out a rough outline of your first year. I'm talking very rough. Like, sit down and plot out a bunch of potential story-arcs and where exactly you'd like to see it go and evolve to. Once that's done, you'll have a vague idea of what you're building towards. The beauty of that is, there's no harm in throwing in a one-off gag here and there.

Also, write down every single good idea you ever have about it. Keep a pad and paper on hand at all times, basically. There's no such thing as too many potential story points.

Also, something I've seen work for a lot of writers: never, ever, ever, EVER take advice from your readers once you've got it up and going. Stick with YOUR storyline. If you deviate too much into other peoples' suggestions, you'll meander from any basic plot you may have outlined. A quick suggestion here or there for something minor can work, but fan service can ruin people.

I'll probably have other snippets of advice I'll edit into this post if I think of them. I actually considered starting a webcomic with an artist friend a while back (I can't draw worth a damn anymore), but it never went anywhere and our premise blew.

Like I said, though, your art shows a lot of promise and it's definitely unique to other stuff I've seen. That's one of the most absolutely important parts of the process and you've got it down already. Just do a bit of tightening on your premise and do a lot of heavy forward thinking and you could have something here. Good luck to you.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

NealsonLewison

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2007, 12:35 »

wow, thats the most constructive critsizm i've ever got.... thanks!

and yeah i know, the five or so comic strips i have in my head are basicly just vague ideas... i really appreciate the comments tho! i'll definately start on ideas this weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up