THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 03:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DUCT TAPE  (Read 58570 times)

Zzz

DUCT TAPE
« on: 18 Mar 2007, 22:48 »

is the ultimate craft material.

Here's a tie I made out of the wonderful silver shininess:

Sadly, I can't tie it quite as well as I'd like to because duct tape isn't quite as flexible as the materials that most ties are made of. But it works!
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2007, 22:54 by Zzz »

J_Saunders

Re: DUCT TAPE
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2007, 00:15 »

Lol, cool. I have to wonder, have you ever seen a TV show called "The Red Green Show"? Not an episode went by without a new duct tape innovation!

Zzz

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2007, 00:40 »

No, I haven't.. I almost never watch TV  :-( no time. But that sounds like something fun to look into. <3 duct tape.

kafftanamaroo

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2007, 09:43 »

Back home I have a wallet made out of gaffer tape (the black version of duct tape), and I made my sister one too.
It's pretty cool, but I don't have a picture of it.
It took forever to make, cos you have to make all the pockets and stick them together without getting them stuff to yourself or your work surface...

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2007, 09:47 »

My sister got into making stuff with Duct tape when she was in college, and taught me how. Wallets are easiest, but we've both made back packs too...I'd show pics, but I'm not sure where the bag is, and even if I did, it's at home, and I'm at school :( I'm uber sad now.

Zzz

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:20 »

..Oh. Well, if the show is no longer made, I do suppose it would be rather hard to watch.

well if you ever find them, post them I guess? <3 duct tape. XD

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2007, 13:01 »

I made a bag, a watch strap, three wallets, a music stand case, and a mechanism for my colored pencils so it doesn't tax the clasp when it is geting jostled in my bag out of duct tape.
SO FAR.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2007, 13:18 »

Now I have to find my duct tape pants!

They have christmas tree lights down the outside seams and battery packs in the pockets so they light up. I wonder where they could be?  :?
Ho, ho, ho!

ThePQ4

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2007, 13:24 »

You must find those pants. The idea just blows my mind  :-o

Zzz

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2007, 13:30 »

I second that.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2007, 16:45 »

?

SeanTheFilmGuy

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2007, 20:50 »

ok...went searching for Red Green 

official site is www.redgreen.com
some clips in real player format http://www.iptv.org/redgreen/
the red green wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Green_Show
streaming clips http://www.ilaugh.com/shows/series.php?series=9/

oh red...i'm must be canadian cause he is a funny funny guy

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2007, 22:22 »

I love the Red Green show! I grew up going fishing with my dad. He was really, really into it, and I was kinda into it, but just liked hanging with my dad and getting away from my mom and sisters. Everything on that show cracks me up, 'cause I can relate to just about all of it. You can still catch it in reruns on PBS stations sometimes. I caught one over Christmas Break (oops, I mean "Winter Break") and yay, it was one I'd never seen before! Very funny stuff.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Silly Bobs new groove

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2007, 00:18 »

That's just plain awesome, I tried to make a vest one time but Iran out of Duct Tape, I'll make one some day...

some day :cry:

No, I haven't.. I almost never watch TV  :-( no time. But that sounds like something fun to look into. <3 duct tape.

Then of course there was the movie Duct Tape Forever

I Love Red Green, screw The Man Show.

J_Saunders

« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2007, 02:00 »

Lol, I am glad I brought up a cult favorite here! I was not sure if this show was even shown in the US outside of the far north east. I was no longer able to see it after I moved to Arizona...

Edit: Thanks for letting me know they made a movie! I will have to find a copy somewhere.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2007, 03:14 »

Duct tape is the most awesome substance known to man (or woman). In fact, now I really want to go out and buy a whole metric assload of it and make something with it. It's been a desire for a while but tomorrow I'll actually do something about it. I think the supermarket near here has fluorescent duct tape...

Hmm...
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2007, 19:36 »

Okay, here we go. I found the pants. I've lost a lot of weight since I made them, so they don't stay up anymore, which made taking photos a little more challenging. Also, one string of lights had corroded batteries, so it won't light up. And I don't have any C cells to replace them with.

Here are a few other shots:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107/pinkgrrlygeek/DSC01131.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107/pinkgrrlygeek/DSC01126.jpg
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107/pinkgrrlygeek/DSC01124.jpg
Ho, ho, ho!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2007, 19:44 »

Definitely some cool pants there.

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Zzz

« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2007, 19:56 »

O.M.G.

:-o

*wants*

ThePQ4

« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2007, 20:16 »

Fantastic!

So, did you just cover a pair of jeans, or are they completely duct tape??

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2007, 20:51 »

Yes, I just covered a pair of jeans from Goodwill. It seems like it used a couple of rolls of silver tape.

I had discovered when making duct tape wallets that it was a major pain to stick the tape to itself, so I started sticking it to both sides of pieces of paper. The idea grew out of that. There is no tape on the inside of the pants, by the way.

Also they are very heavy, kind of stinky, and un-wash-able.
Ho, ho, ho!

ThePQ4

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2007, 20:57 »

Haha.
The smell is one of the biggest problems with duct tape... You don't really notice it until you're around it for a long time, and then it becomes a little overwhelming.
Either way, duct tape pants are still pretty sweet.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2007, 10:14 »

I have an old Squier Bullet that's covered in duct tape. Should probably snap a picture.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:10 »

I have made many a wallet out of duct tape in my time. When my band was playing, we made a run of wallets out of red and black tape, with our band name taped into them. I've also made a vest, a tie, a handbag for my sister, a pair of shoes, and a baseball cap out of tape.

Ahhh, memories!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

ThePQ4

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:15 »

I don't think I'm alone when I say, "Pics or it didn't happen"... Duct tape shoes??!!

Will

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:27 »

Alas, this was many a year ago, and even if pics had once existed, they would be long lost. I know this sounds like a convenient cop-out, but you just have to believe me! To be fair, they were a little more like slippers than shoes; I reinforced them with cardboard, but they never really were that sturdy.

Tried getting away with using them as gym shoes once though!
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:31 »

Ho, ho, ho!

ThePQ4

« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2007, 12:02 »

Pfft! Will, you are such a tease  :-P --And that book looks awesome. I shall have to investigate into it further one night. There are actually quite a few "Duct Tape" books out there...I've just never invested in one.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #28 on: 26 Mar 2007, 19:17 »

I now feel the need to go buy multiple rolls of duct tape. I want a tote bag.

I am the person that takes duct tape everywhere. I have a roll in my backpack. I take it with me on vacation. This, of course, causes endless mocking, but it stops when someone breaks a shoe or a bag strap and I come to the rescue.

Also, my nickname in high school was Duct Tape.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2007, 23:41 »

I used to live in a town where if it's broken, the answer is always duct tape. I'm totally serious. If a car broke a window, the empty space was just covered up with duct tape. There were cars that without duct tape...well, there wouldn't be a car. It was even more fun when they duct taped tupperware over the window holes than covered the outline of it in foam. Ultimate Homer, Alaska car.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Will

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2007, 18:54 »

I have it on good authority that if you smash a trombone several times into a drumset, duct tape and sticks WILL NOT FIX THE THING AT ALL!!!

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2007, 21:43 »

I got my wallet from here, about 18 months ago, and it's still going strong after being used constantly.

Also

Edith,
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Snorlaxor

« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2007, 18:27 »

Those pants are crazy! Over Christmas break I made myself a duct tape wallet, but since its been done before I used the see through stuff. It's good for shock value, but not the best for hiding large wads of money, but also saves time while looking for change.

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #33 on: 01 Apr 2007, 14:35 »

When ever I go paddling duct tape is always an essential part of kit!

Hole is deck....duct tape it! Torn Cag....duct tape it! Brocken paddle....duct tape it! Hole in boat....duct tape it!

Even in the water you put enough duct tape on somethin it will hold it until you need to...otherwise jus add more duct tape!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #34 on: 02 Apr 2007, 12:02 »

To work off my earlier post, one of the things I've always wanted to do with that guitar is to discard the body, buy a new Strat body and using three colors of duct tape (say, black, red and yellow or orange), cover it in a sunburst pattern. A duct taped sunburst guitar! Awesome.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #35 on: 05 Apr 2007, 10:48 »

I also had a friend in high school who covered his Chevy Blazer in duct tape. The thing was so rust covered that it actually looked better afterwards. I wish I had a picture of it that I could post...
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

ThePQ4

« Reply #36 on: 05 Apr 2007, 10:51 »

That sounds totally awesome... I want to do that to a car now... Unfortunatly, Duct Tape is 'effin' expensive!!

The Art program here (I'm not sure what part exactly...) is doing a "Clothes Without Fabric" project...there seems to be quite a few people using duct tape, apparently. I shall have to peruse the exibit and snap some shots when it is displayed on Parent's Weekend.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #37 on: 05 Apr 2007, 17:03 »

Another duct tape story.

I totalled my first car, lost an argument with a big brown sedan, but since I was only two years into the payments, I still owed more than what the insurance company said it was worth. So if I took the check and let them scrap the car, I'd have to come up with $1500.  What a screwed up situation. My other option was actually keeping the car, not getting it repaired, and let the insurance company and the bank fight about it, since the collateral on the loan was toast. I chose that option.

So far another year and a half, I drove a car with the passenger side totally caved in, windows covered over in plastic sheeting, and the whole thing held together with duct tape. The door was all bent up and didn't fit right anymore: duct tape. Some of the trim was dangling: duct tape. Yep, it looked like hell. But the alignment amazingly was perfectly fine, the engine was fine, even the rear window defroster still worked. I could drive it on the highway.

Since my only choice was to toss the car, pay $1500 and still have to buy another one, and just kept it and drove it into the ground.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

AlecTrevylan006

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #38 on: 23 May 2007, 21:41 »

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7996/copyofclosekl0.jpg

Purple duct tape zoot suit for senior prom, complete with pink pinstripes on the pants, duct tape yellow tie, duck tape hat with feather (also duct tape). Not to mention my date's corsage and the dozen roses I made to thank my friend for helping me make it.

Took a pattern, cut out pieces of fabric, covered fabric in duct tape, and then I actually stapled them all together >_>

Here's some more pics (corsage, etc)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93481913@N00/

mer

« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2007, 00:17 »

That sounds totally awesome... I want to do that to a car now... Unfortunatly, Duct Tape is 'effin' expensive!!

The Art program here (I'm not sure what part exactly...) is doing a "Clothes Without Fabric" project...there seems to be quite a few people using duct tape, apparently. I shall have to peruse the exibit and snap some shots when it is displayed on Parent's Weekend.

My schools track team has an anything but clothes party every year, and my freshman year roommate made herself a duct tape dress. It was a tube dress that laced up the sides, it looked really cool actually

CryoSilver

• Not quite a lurker
  • Enjoying all that's obscene
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2007, 19:30 »

Sorry for the thread rezzing, but I thought it'd be better than starting a whole new thread, especially in a forum that seems less active than others on the board.

I have a little submission to the topic of making stuff out of duct tape.

I gave a former girlfriend a dozen of these for an anniversary with a note that said "These will survive a nuclear holocaust, just like our love."

We are no longer together.
Cryosilver: Thinking inside a somewhat bigger box

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
« Reply #41 on: 19 Oct 2007, 23:19 »

Ouch. That kind of sucks. Cool flowers though

CryoSilver

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #42 on: 20 Oct 2007, 08:00 »

Worse things have happened.  I can make roses, too.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
« Reply #43 on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:07 »

Whoa! That's pretty sweet...I say we need proof. They would look pretty awesome made out of those colored duct tapes...

CryoSilver

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #44 on: 20 Oct 2007, 14:43 »

I'm too poor for the colored tape :(

Forgive how crude it is; I haven't made one in a long time.

Andale

« Reply #45 on: 21 Oct 2007, 20:31 »

I used to make and sell Duct Tape wallets that were pretty fancy, I could sell 'em for more than a roll cost and clean up nice. People only bought them cuz I spent a lot of time to make them really nice, I put in the license window and card slots and even change sections on some (made them thick) plus I put a little lip on all of them at the top, every person I know that has washed it has said everything inside the dollar section stayed absolutely dry.
But these things. Wow! That's fantastic, and if I thought I could manage it I would do it too.

Edible

« Reply #46 on: 25 Nov 2007, 14:26 »

I Have two bags made out of electrical tape and practice essays, need to get a camera though...

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2007, 10:39 »

Ah, the handyman's secret weapon.

All the tools you need are Duct Tape and WD-40.  If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move and it should - WD-40.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Earendilgrey

« Reply #48 on: 29 Dec 2007, 08:41 »

Here's a crappy old pic of a rose I made. 

If I can find it and it's cousin I will try to take some better ones.

So far the only other thing I have done is cover my old checkbook holder with black duck tape cause it was completely falling apart and I am too picky to find a new one.

Saxyrunner

« Reply #49 on: 31 Jan 2008, 22:14 »

Have you heard of the Duct Tape prom scholarship competition?  It's sponsored by the Duck Tape company.  My boyfriend and I made prom outfits and wore them to prom for the competition, and we made it into the top 10. Unfortunately only the top 3 were awarded scholarships. I have pictures... somewhere.  How do I post them?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up