THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DUCT TAPE  (Read 58568 times)

Ocarina654

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: DUCT TAPE
« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2008, 03:32 »

When I get around to taking pictures of them, I can show you the Duct Tape purses/handbags that my Mom has made.  She's sold them at a few craft fair/boutiques before.

AndrewDB

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #51 on: 05 Mar 2008, 22:33 »

ThinkGeek (the best website for all your geek shopping needs.. ever).. has a kit for a make your own: Duct Tape Wallet..

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/a018/

Behold its spiffiness. :D

labcoatguy

« Reply #52 on: 27 Mar 2008, 22:36 »

Hello, I'm new here! And to be relevant, here's a picture of me wearing duct tape.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2008, 22:47 by labcoatguy »

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #53 on: 28 Mar 2008, 15:05 »

Egads!  That is a most excellent picture, and a most excellent introduction!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

labcoatguy

« Reply #54 on: 28 Mar 2008, 22:11 »

is the ultimate craft material.

Here's a tie I made out of the wonderful silver shininess:
(image snip)
Sadly, I can't tie it quite as well as I'd like to because duct tape isn't quite as flexible as the materials that most ties are made of. But it works!

If you want to make duct tape stuff that folds or otherwise needs to be flexible, absolutely do not double-layer it, as you've probably found out. Use just one layer, or two to make it wider, and neutralize the stickiness with toilet paper. The fibers from toilet paper work even in a thin layer, so you can wad it up and blot it onto the sticky side. I made a duct tape shift boot for my last car out of this one-layered duct tape, and it was almost as flexible as the original vinyl. I also did a tie a while back; the folded-over tape wouldn't stay tied, but the single-layer one did, though I did have a paper lint problem for some time. Sadly, I lost it (and I couldn't find the tie again either).

chma

« Reply #55 on: 30 Mar 2008, 14:26 »

Ooohh, some neat stuff in here, this thread made me smile :)

I love duct tape, but I only use it for repairing, I never made something completely new from it, I need a duct tape wallet, I have been looking for a new wallet for ages but I havent found any I like. Can someone help me how to make one? Please?  :roll:

DMart

• Larger than most fish
  • Most participants desire.
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #56 on: 30 Aug 2008, 03:15 »

Necropost, i know, but I figure things move fairly slowly in the Arts & Crafts section anyway...

Anyway, a few things I made from duct tape.

First: A wallet (yes, how original). I made it as small as I could - as you can see it's not much bigger than a business card, and it just fits the largest notes we have.

Next, a paperback protector. I couldn't find one in stationary or book shops, so I decided I should just make one. It's not entirely made from duct tape, but it took a fair bit of it to get it looking like this. I took an A5 binder, removed the binding mechanism, and stuck a 'pocket' (just an A5 sheet of construction paper) to the inside of the back cover. Then I trimmed it down to size and taped up the edges. No more paperback wear and tear!

Oh, and please forgive the absolutely appalling quality of the photos.
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #57 on: 02 Sep 2008, 10:51 »

The concept of a paperback protector is excellent.  The execution is nothing short of brilliant. 

I give it a 9.8.  Standard .2 deduction for photo quality.  Sorry.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #58 on: 02 Sep 2008, 13:46 »

That wallet is pretty darn cool. Is the paperback protector for tossing it in a backpack, then? It seems like it might be hard to read the book while using it; I'd end up dropping stuff.
Ho, ho, ho!

DMart

• Larger than most fish
  • Most participants desire.
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #59 on: 02 Sep 2008, 14:59 »

I give it a 9.8.  Standard .2 deduction for photo quality.  Sorry.

Well, unfortunately if I tried to get back that 0.2 by adding better photos you'd probably deduct another full 2 points because the quality of the product would be more visible. I'll probably do another and take more time with it once I find some tape and a binder that are a bit more colourful.

That wallet is pretty darn cool. Is the paperback protector for tossing it in a backpack, then? It seems like it might be hard to read the book while using it; I'd end up dropping stuff.

Not so much for the backpack (I don't really use one at the moment) though it'd be perfect for that; I actually don't know how I wind up making the books so tattered... but I figure this should put an end to it. It's not so hard to read with the book in the protector/cover, except when you're getting fairly close to the end of said book. I don't think I really explained it properly before, the back cover of the paperback slides into the 'pocket' I stuck to the inside of the back cover of the binder, so the book can't go anywhere.

I stopped using the wallet after the card pockets fell off, but I think I'll recommission it soon. It was pretty nifty, and tiny!
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #60 on: 04 Sep 2008, 11:02 »

Hello, I'm new here! And to be relevant, here's a picture of me wearing duct tape.

I feel bed your post got ignored, especially considering how remarkably accurate that armour actually is!! Its a Gondor knight, is it not?
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #61 on: 04 Sep 2008, 11:28 »

I feel bed your post got ignored, especially considering how remarkably accurate that armour actually is!! Its a Gondor knight, is it not?
Wow, if you had linked that with img tags people would have seen how fucking awesome that is.

10/10
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #62 on: 04 Sep 2008, 11:29 »

That's an Osgiloth warrior of the white tree. Yeah, Gondor. He probably fights under the command of Faramir.
Sometimes I'm just that damn nerdy.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Andale

« Reply #63 on: 06 Oct 2008, 15:20 »

Ah, the handyman's secret weapon.

All the tools you need are Duct Tape and WD-40.  If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move and it should - WD-40.

Just a thought. I find that many places people use WD-40 are places you shouldn't. WD-40 is like gas, and it evaporates, quickly. So you've cleaned away the cause of the squeak and made it kind of oily, but that runs out fast. (ie; door hinges, especially on cars) Next time try some Lithium Grease (usually labeled "white"), it lasts much longer. I accidentally sprayed some on my trunk lid, it was there for maybe 4 months before the rains got it off, and I live in NorthWest Indiana!

Anyways. I love duck tape!! Especially when I break my ducks!
(sorry, it was terrible, i know.)

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #64 on: 07 Oct 2008, 18:57 »

I actually looked up instructions on how to make Duct Tape roses, and after seeing how good those came out on the first page, I'm going to go try to make some.  I remember trying once, and they were a lot harder then they seemed to be.

dumblilasiangirl

« Reply #65 on: 09 Oct 2008, 21:03 »

off the topic of roses, sorry. but its duct tape.

arizona cans and duct tape.

Aura

« Reply #66 on: 10 Oct 2008, 00:49 »

The Gondor suit was amazing!! 

I've used duct tape to make the pattern I used to sew my first corset.  I'd post pictures but it's just a bunch of duct tape bits in the shape of pattern pieces.  Nothing to look in itself at but the result was pretty spiffy. 

My third anniversary is coming up.  I'm thinking a dozen roses for the bf would be appropriate.

trogdor

« Reply #67 on: 13 Jan 2009, 17:47 »

hi!!i love to make stuf out of duct tape to!!!!
in the past i have made a top hat about 75 roses wallets and a purse or 2

i would put up pics but im new to this thing and i dont know how to work it yet!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up